LAGMuXle is offline Member

Chewing tobacco - Cancer? I've got a spot on my tongue...

I've got a small white spot on my tongue, feels like a cancre sore, the ones you get every now and then... I just started chewing again about a month ago. I had stopped for about 5 months, previous to the 5 months I was chewing... and had a similar spot on my tongue but it went away. Anyone have any opinions? I'm not sure if it's cancerous, it's been there for about a week or so, hasn't gotten any worse...

I can throw a picture up if you guys want.

Thanks.

MuX

sigrabbit is offline Member
    I had what appeared to be a patch of dead skin on my tongue that would scrape off. It was from chewing too much each day and it has gone away since I cut back some. I would recommend you see a doc just in case. They can do a simple test to determine if cancerous cells are present.

Yeah, I was thinking about seeing a doctor... but damn. How much are they going to charge? 100 bucks? Lol... who knows. Maybe I'll just stop.... yeahhhh.

MuX

MBaraso is offline Retired Mod
    This thread scares me.
    If I got anything like that I would definetly go see a Dr. if it didn't go away in a week.
    I really have to quit this shit...

markas214 is offline Senior Member
    If you only chewed for 5 months and now another month I'd say there is little chance of it being cancer. Now if you contine to chew you increse your risk for mouth, tongue, gum and throat each year you continue. Tobacco is addictive as hell if you had quit for 5 months you can do it again. Too many other ways to die. Why take a chance?

jammergsxr is offline Member
    Chew has fiberglass in it,if your like me you constantly use your tongue to keep it packed in your lip,good chance you may have snagged a piece of glass or a sharp stem in you tongue.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    I reallt recommend quitting. I dipped and chewed for a period of 6 years. My teeth began to be extremely senstive to hot and cold foods. Than a few months after that I went to the dentist for a check up when she told me about how badly my gum line had receeded(spelling) My gums were a whitish color and had receeded so badly that my teeth ae now somewhat loose. Also I had a spot in my inner lip that hurt like a mother. It scared me so bad I finally quit and the spot went away, my teeth aren't AS sensitive and the color has returned but my gumline will never recover. Is nicotine really worth your jaw, teeth, or even possibly your life? Snuff, chew, cigars, pipe tobacco, and cigarettes are the only product on the market that when used properly as directed by the manufacturures causes death. Think about that one for a while.

mammoth is offline Member
    Here's a simple solution that BigTexan so eloquently elaborated upon.......STOP CHEWING!!

Not trying to be an asshole or anything but I think its kinda humourus when people come to the boards and ask questions like "My anus is bleeding from shoving d-bol suppositories in it, what should I do??" Use your noggin bro!! I have never understood the whole idea of people refusing to stop abusing there bodies in such a manner. If I ever experienced any kind of serious side effects from AAS use, common sense tells me I should stop immediatly and seek a doctor. Same applies here. I can't help but laugh at smokers who constantly cough and hack up phlegm because they refuse to make a effort to quit. If you were to develop cancer, then I wouldn't feel sorry for you one bit.

Valmont is offline Banned
    Lag: I am not going to lecture you like some of these butfuks on here(i.e, mammory). We know you are not 12.

I agree with jammer though don't worry about it-just check it out(some medical facillities have a call in ask a nurse option) but make sure to be on the safe side-and let us know its all cool.
    V
    Last edited by Valmont; 06-19-2003 at 11:04 AM.

Thanks Valmont and the others that were helpful and didn't flame me to quit , it is actually getting a lot smaller... I think that jammergsxr is right, might have just been a small cut or something. It's definately going away though. I don't chew that often anyway, once or twice a day... not as much as possible.. heh. Thanks for the help, I'll post again in a couple days let you guys know whats up. I might still get a doc to look at it, but if it goes away, obviously no reason to.

Thanks.

MuX

I wasn't flaming. Just trying to make a point. Just answer me this, why chew when all it's doing is causing complete harm to your body. Nothing positive is coming from it so why? Give me one reasonable, educated answer please!

Because it's soooooooooooo yummy!!To each his own!The difference between those who chew and those who don't is We don't care if you chew.A big fat lip of Kodiak and a pile of wieghts is heaven my friend!This country is getting way too fucking whiney about tobacco products.

Originally posted by Valmont
    Lag: I am not going to lecture you like some of these butfuks on here(i.e, mammory). We know you are not 12.
    Still bitter about getting busted?? Damn, that really must have hurt your delicate inner child's vagina! Its okay though cause you can still find your sick solice within the confines of Richard Simmons anal cavity (where you most certainly belong)!!

Originally posted by LAGMuXle
    Thanks Valmont and the others that were helpful and didn't flame me to quit , it is actually getting a lot smaller... I think that jammergsxr is right, might have just been a small cut or something. It's definately going away though. I don't chew that often anyway, once or twice a day... not as much as possible.. heh. Thanks for the help, I'll post again in a couple days let you guys know whats up. I might still get a doc to look at it, but if it goes away, obviously no reason to.

Thanks.

MuX
    Do you really think that I flamed you?? Just curious because if you think that what I said was a flame then you probably shouldn't venture outside of AR. Here at AR you will find the lightest and most buttered advice out of any forum that exists. I wasn't trying to insult you and I definitely wasn't trying to flame. Sorry if you felt that way.
    Last edited by mammoth; 06-20-2003 at 07:20 AM.

Originally posted by jammergsxr
    This country is getting way too fucking whiney about tobacco products.
    Well sorry pal, you can do want you want. I will tell you how deadly all nicotine products are just like I would tell a friend standing on the edge of a building how dangerous it is. But with your attitude I could tell you be yelling at him to jump..... so go ahead, jump away!

But again, I was asking for one reasonable and educated answer, not that it's yummy.

Valmont is offline Banned
    Originally posted by mammoth

Still bitter about getting busted?? Damn, that really must have hurt your delicate inner child's vagina! Its okay though cause you can still find your sick solice within the confines of Richard Simmons anal cavity (where you most certainly belong)!!
    lol this has to be the most gayass retort I have ever read. Way to go Shirley. Man what a torch this is.

This is halarious. I am going to bump this so everyone here can see what a retarted pedophilac sounds like.

One sec: exactly how would you know how delicate a childs vagina is- or for that matter how Richard Simmons asshole feels like.

No wonder why your wife won't quit calling me.

Um, Mammoth, Valmont, you 2 good bros just playing around or do we have the beginnings of a flame war starting? Cause if this is a flame war, ya might want to read Cycleon's post about all the flaming that's been going on.

This country is getting way too fucking whiney about tobacco products.
    I'll tell you why I whine about tobacco products!! Its not so much dip and chew that I am concerned about because people who use them in no way effect my health. Its these ignorant, disrespectful smokers who blow there second hand smoke everywhere in public that bother me. The people who stand right outside of an entrance to an establishment puffing on a cigarette not thinking about the people who have to walk through there smoke to get inside. Or the jackasses who ignore the no-smoking signs in crowded public areas. One reason why I don't go to bars anymore is because I come out of there wheezing from other peoples smoke. It amazes me that our government wants to ban AAS because of the possible harmful side effects that they might have on our bodies yet they can't seem to ban smoking in public areas.

It pisses me off to no end that smokers expect us non-smoking, health-concious people to have to put up with that shit!

Originally posted by BIG TEXAN
    Um, Mammoth, Valmont, you 2 good bros just playing around or do we have the beginnings of a flame war starting? Cause if this is a flame war, ya might want to read Cycleon's post about all the flaming that's been going on.
    Hey BigTexan, I busted Valmont a while back on something so he feels the need to attack me when I post because he is still bitter about it. I am through with his childish games though!

No problem man! (bad attempt at a Jamaican acscent)

It pisses me off to no end that smokers expect us non-smoking, health-concious people to have to put up with that shit! [/B][/QUOTE]

He post this as he shoots 2cc's of juice in his ass.

Originally posted by BIG TEXAN
    But again, I was asking for one reasonable and educated answer, not that it's yummy.
    Tobacco products create a chemical compound called dopeamine that inhances mood and relaxes you very much the same way beer and even anabolics do.Is there anything good from this?No and yes it may or may not kill you it's pretty much a gamble just like casual sex,drinking,juicing,and pretty much all of the fun things in life.
    Like I said to each his own.But it really is yummy I mean really yummy.

<QUOTE><b>Do you really think that I flamed you?? Just curious because if you think that what I said was a flame then you probably shouldn't venture outside of AR. Here at AR you will find the lightest and most buttered advice out of any forum that exists. I wasn't trying to insult you and I definitely wasn't trying to flame. Sorry if you felt that way.</B></QUOTE>

No I don't really think you flaming me, I was just exaggerating a little I guess. I don't know, the spot is going away anyway. I mean, I appreciate the concern for me to quit, and yes it is probably the best thing, but ... yes a nice dip of Kodiak and some weights is quite the heaven... hah... going almost literally.. lol. But anyway, you guys have brought up quite the debate on this issue eh? Keep it going... I'm enjoying reading everyone's opinions. Sorry to instigate the thought that I was offended, I'm not.

And an educated answer to why I chew? Well, the feeling is a good time... and the taste is something I've acquired, cigars, chew, they are just... something "extra" something that I've begun to like for some reason. I don't really have an educated answer to why it's alright to do somehting that only harms myself, but I guess being someone who chews... I don't really look at it as though it's only harming me. I get some enjoyment out of it, so why not. I go on and off with it anyway... I have never been to a point where I am like "Damn, I NEED a lip" ... like I said, just somehting "extra" to do that I get enjoyment out of I guess....

Keep opinions going bros

Thanks.

MuX

And jammergsxr, nice eductated answer... don't think I could have put it in a better way

I just want o you to know I'm not flaming anyone. I still fight the urge to go uy a can of Copenhagen(spelling) to this day and I haven't dipped in years. To each his own if you do chew or smoke, doesn't other me one bit. Just wait until you get to the point where I was. Gum line receeding, bleeding and mouth sores. Then when you're already addicted having all these problems it's that much harder to stop even though you know and see what it's doing to your body.
    Jammergsxr- you can have safe sex y using protection, drinking won't kill you as long as you drink moderatly, AS won't kill you as long as you do it moderatly and wisely. There is no safe way to smoke or chew tobaco. Try having a relative die from throat cancer or lung cancer as I have and than sit back and say "oh well, tobaco products are cool." When you see with your own eyes as this person slowly withers away from the cancer, it will make you sick to your stomach thinking about it. Like I said, to each his own. I just hope you guys will wake up and realize all the harm you're doing to your bodies one day.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Ok, I hope I'm doing this right because something is not right here with the board, at lest on my end. Any case;

Big T, I used to smoke back in college (thinking it was cool) but needed to to stop to play ball. I turned right around and started "dippin" because I knew I could quit that with little problem, how wrong was I. Seeing a pattern here? So I replaced one bad habit for another. To this day (18 yr) I still dip. But I do it in moderation, if you can call it that. I go thru about one can every 14-20 days (I actually put the date I bought it and the day it's finished on the can). I have been trying to stop for some time now. Let's hope it's before even greater damage is done. My point being is I'm addicted, no pussy-footing about it. The amount of nicotine in dip is a hell of a lot more than you'll get out of smoking 10 or more cigs (Pulling the number out of my a$$ to make a point) IMHO. It's a drug plan and simple. But (you had to know there was a but, ha) my habit sould offend no one due to the fact I don't blow smoke into the air we all breath and I don't spit on the ground (maybe when huntin') or leave cups laying around. However I can't argue that it is just plan stupid to do.

novicemarine is offline Junior Member

ALMOST NO WAY IT'S CANCER!

No way, bro. I've been dipping 7 years, it's unbelievably prone in my genetics and I've just recently stumbled across "precancer". Of course, I'd recommend quitting before you're in my boat, 'cause the more you do it, the more you're making it part of your 2nd nature. The sooner you quit, the less damage you do, the less you'll want to everyday after you finally do quit.

point blank. but I'm a hypocrite, so feel free to tell me to practice what I preach.

Re: ALMOST NO WAY IT'S CANCER!

Originally posted by novicemarine
    No way, bro. I've been dipping 7 years, it's unbelievably prone in my genetics and I've just recently stumbled across "precancer". Of course, I'd recommend quitting before you're in my boat, 'cause the more you do it, the more you're making it part of your 2nd nature. The sooner you quit, the less damage you do, the less you'll want to everyday after you finally do quit.

point blank. but I'm a hypocrite, so feel free to tell me to practice what I preach.

Damn, precancer eh? What's the situation with that? I know I don't have anything now, but I was a little worried... the white spot is gone completely, it was there for about a week, then took about 3 days to clear up. Let us know what happens with your precancer.... good luck with things. And thanks for the help....

MuX

It pisses me off to no end that smokers expect us non-smoking, health-concious people to have to put up with that shit!

He post this as he shoots 2cc's of juice in his ass.
    huh??

BTW--- I never shoot juice in my ass!!

broncojosh is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like Leukoplakia.

Some people can smoke all there lives and never get cancer. Some people can dip all their lives and never get cancer. Some people can use AAS and never touch an anti-e and never get gyno. People respond differently to different substances. My wife's grandmother died of lung cancer 30 years after she quit smoking. Was the cancer related to her smoking at a younger age? Who knows!! It really boils down to what kind of risks are you willing to take. I take AAS because the benefits heavily outweigh the negatives. I can't say the same for any other vice that exists. I used to smoke in high school and it can't say that there was ever a benefit to smoking period. Maybe it helped relaxed me a little, but not enough to justify the taxing that my lungs took. Not to mention, I have asthma! The only reason why I continued to smoke was because I was mentally and probably physically addicted. I quit smoking when I met my wife because she refused to be around me if I smoked.

LAGMuXle -- I wish you the best! You may possibly be one of the ones who could never get cancer from dipping. Are you willing to take the risk though? Best of luck to ya bro!!

Diesel is offline Anabolic Member
    Let me throw my .02 in here as i have dipped for years now.

First off, if you have any concerns whatsoever you should see your doctor just to put your mind at ease at the very least.

Is it a nasty habit, absolutely. However, If I were a non - tobacco adict I would prefer that people dip around me rather than smoke.

When you dip there is no second hand smoke. Therefore, If I elect to do something that may be harmful to my body, it is only harmful to me rather than hurting any innocent bystandard who happens to be around.

I go through about a tin a day myself.

D

A tin a day? That's insane, I go through.... about a quarter to a half a tin a day. Not even. It depends on my schedual and such.

MuX

1/2 a tin a day is nothing I was up to 1 to 2 cans a day. God do I miss the flavor and the feeling of having a pinch between my lip and gums. But I'm not even gonna start up again after 3 years of trying to quit and finally doing it.

markas214 is offline Senior Member
    The original post asked for opinions which is what he was given. Personally if he or anyone else gets oral, tongue or throat cancer it won't make any difference to. I am a supporter of individuals making their own choices be it chew, cigarettes, gear or even heroin as long as it doesn't infringe on others rights to be free from the effects of a person's use and they are willing to face possible negative outcomes. My personal opinion is he should quit. This is from a guy who started smoking at 15 and had a hell of hard time quitting at 32 following dozens of attempts.

Thread Information