Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By DCI

Thread: Normandy D Day landings

DCI
    DCI is offline Productive Member

Normandy D Day landings

Hi all,

I was away on hols in France over the past week and managed to fit in time at the d day beach landings I was at Omaha, Utah and point du hoc.

What these men well rather imo basically still teenagers just boggles my mind the shear bravery and courage is just mind bending and even harder to comprehend being that courageous to go onto the most heavily defended coastline in Europe at the time.

And the beach and conditions are seriously wild I don't know how they found it in them to do such a thing but one thing I am ever grateful for what they did.

Point du Hoc was even more impressive which is just crazy when you think how impressive storming a beach is. At point du hoc 225 or so men had to fire make shift ladders and climb a good 100 metres up a sheer cliff face all the time being shot at germans to take out there anti aircraft guns etc.

I walked into one of the German bunkers there it was really eerie and there was a strange aura off the building it still had bullet holes etc in it which made it even more real.

We went to the American grave and rememberence centre to read about the men and their bravery on the days of d day what some of them did was other worldly imo.

It has definetly struck a chord with me something I will never forget ever. I even found a soldier with my surname there which made all the more real.

I reccemend anyone to go there its such a moving place.
    NACH3, songdog, almostgone and 1 others like this.

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Well done for taking the time to do this. It's on my bucket list.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

DCI
    Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    Well done for taking the time to do this. It's on my bucket list.
    Yeh, it's worth it man and esp if your in the UK you could do it over a long weekend and experience the place.

Very moving place it's completely wild that part of the world so I don't know how they all managed to do it with such a little amount of supplies etc

thomas8883 is offline Junior Member
    I was lucky enough to get on a battlefield tour few years back and it was a real eye opener just living in them conditions were bad enough but having to fight in it as well takes a certainly kind of person to have the mind set to endure all that and keep going

DCI
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas8883 View Post
    I was lucky enough to get on a battlefield tour few years back and it was a real eye opener just living in them conditions were bad enough but having to fight in it as well takes a certainly kind of person to have the mind set to endure all that and keep going
    Def, it was wide open plains of fields etc it must have been extremely stressful and harrowing to cope with constant pressure and having to be alert for any attack.

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Thanks for sharing. I hope to vacation in France someday. I would not have thought to take this tour.

DCI
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat View Post
    Thanks for sharing. I hope to vacation in France someday. I would not have thought to take this tour.
    It's well worth the effort of going there especially from its significance that those landings did for the whole course of the war.

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat View Post
    Are we up for a Parisienne rendezvous?
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black
    Are we up for a Parisienne rendezvous?
    Ohhhhh I want to travel to Paris and Italy and England and Mediterranean. I was looking at Viking cruises that travel the rivers and thought that would be a neat way to see Europe.

Other option is to take 3 week once in a lifetime Mediterranean cruise. Of course this cannot happen until I meet a certain goal so I can splatter my pics on fB so my friends can watch my travel with envy!!! J/k about the fB part but I have noticed some of my superficial friends do this a lot. Christmas swimming with the Dolphin pictures lol.

Asia also interests me but I need to save up more $$$$ and vacation. I wouldn't do a 1 week. Has to be a min of 2-3 weeks since flights so pricey.

Euroholic is offline "ARs Pork Eating Crusader"
    Caen was ment to be captured on the first day but took 6 weeks.

Did you go to falaise?

DCI
    Euro we didn't get a chance due to going to a motor race but would have loved too.

Thats the beauty of you europeans you can work a monday-friday job and fly to another country on saturday-sunday and be back at work monday morning.

DCI
    Quote Originally Posted by Euroholic View Post
    Thats the beauty of you europeans you can work a monday-friday job and fly to another country on saturday-sunday and be back at work monday morning.
    From the uk yeh not so much over here due to the odd times for flights but having driven a lot of europe its funny to think in one day you could have driven through 5 countries

Thread Information