chevy44 is offline Member

attention all mechanics!

my car over heated yesterday, after diagonosing alil', i figured it was the thermostat, so i changed it. so i go to drive it and it still over heats. i then notice that its leaking oil, but the oil was a lil watery. hmmmmmmm? anyways i check my oil, and the shit looks like a milkshake. it was very watery, so i figured i cracked the head. now i just want all the mechanics to help me verify if thats the problem. and if so, is it as hard as it seems, taking the head off ? i appreciate it guys.
    by the way its a 94 chevy camaro lt1 v8

WS6_KID is offline Associate Member
    SORRY to hear that here's a bump for ya

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Head gasket or head is fucked.Is is the aluminum head motor? Aluminum don't crack much, It will warp. i'd say it's the gasket.
    Last edited by LORDBLiTZ; 06-29-2003 at 10:42 PM.

psleez65 is offline Junior Member
    Deff head gasket or head. As far as labor on that engine to do it properly would probally call for about 4 yo 6 hrs in a labor guide.if you have the knowledge & tools go for it. BTW you should send the head to a machine shop and have it checked. The overheating could have caused cracks or warpage. Good Luck

Ryanhallmark is offline Senior Member
    I would guess that when you overheated then your warpaged the head..and then you have a bad head gasket..I would pull both heads and have them milled..But call some shops first.

yeah i m gonna do the labor myslef and i anticipated on spending a good 8 hours on the job. but yeah im taking the heads to a shop to get redone etc etc. i figured it was the gasket, but then i found water in the oil, so i went w/ cracked head. but thanx alot, uguys respond fast as hell!
    anyone know tthe prices on fixing the heads?
    Last edited by chevy44; 06-30-2003 at 01:34 AM.

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Well if ur going that far...the Guides, Seats, Retainers, Valve Locks, and Valve Springs should be change. Most people will say don't worry about it, but while the heads are out just change them. I've seen to many times when the guys say...nah don't worry about them and the next week they have to pull them off again cuz they droped a valve. When stock heads need that much work i just Ebay them and spend a 1000 bux on new trick flows.They put out 78 HP right out of the box on a LT1. The stock heads to get rebuilt will cost about 500 to 600 bux with all that new shit and you will still have the same HP.Also when you order the gaskets MAKE SURE you order "FEL-PRO" gaskets.Don't use any other brand of gaskets!!!! Also get a ARP head bolt kit, DON'T re-use the old bolts!! BTW....94 camaro mid motor car is a fuking bitch to work on!!!! I put a 502 big block in one of them and it was a nightmare!

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Well I got to this one a bit late. No need to give my .02 cause problem looks to be solved, ya just gotta do the work now. Best of luck to ya.

another quick ? could it be anything else? because i thought it was fine and i drove it (b4 i thought ihad a cracked head) and nothing happened. it didnt over heat, leak any oil........nothing! but i still found water in my oil dipstick and water was leaking thru the throttle body! so could it actually be anything else?

ripsid is offline Senior Member
    [From personal experience, you warped the head bro! I had it even worse because the block was cracked also! Shit 4500 for a Z24 engine! What the F*** was that! Good luck! I was ass raped by the dealer because I couldn't do anything due to the block....

SID

fuck man, i got the whole car for 4g's! andu can get the lt1 used w/ tranny and pc, harness etc. used is anywhere from 1,500-2,500. u did get ass raped! sorry to hear bro

I should have clarified how long ago it was...it was 92? and it was like 2 1/2 years old. And I basically had to replace the whole MFen engine and the fuel pump, thermostat...Shit! I was an E-4 in the military and broke dick after that!

SID

Quote Originally Posted by ripsid
    I was a broke dick after that!

SID
    Damn, you're honeymoon's gonna suffer!

No bro! That happended back in 92, I was going from Ventura to Coronado on house hunting leave with my ex and the thermostat went, then the smoke then the oil then I was in downtown san diego with nothing! Oh not like I can afford a honeymoom anyways, we payed for the f'n wedding our selves. so we'll stay at the Motel De Seis (aka Motel 6 ) kidding...we gonna get a room at a nice hotel for the night but that's it. No Money! Shit you'd think someone who worked 600 hours of O/T last year would have cash....Not im SID'S WORLD OF F(*#&)(*#)^)(#*&)(#*&)%^)(# BULL(*#(....

Sorry about the vent and the Hijacking of the thread.... Big T you coming up, with major and jarrett???? We may have extra grub...and plenty of water!

SID

Yeah I saw that it happened back in 92. Ya just never mentioned that you got your.... uhm, problem fixed. Hell my honeymoon was only one night in a nice hotel, than back to work the very next day! How's that for some shit... Give me some more details, who knows I possibly could make it.

Thread Information