Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By crazy_rocks
  • 1 Post By almostgone
  • 1 Post By Charlie67
  • 1 Post By crazy_rocks

Thread: Hey union workers

crazy_rocks is offline Senior Member

Hey union workers

I passed the test and have an interview with the sheet metal union. What's that like? I heard a table of people each asking a question. All I know is the interview is 15 min long.

I brought up unions so please no political arguing, thanks.
    Last edited by crazy_rocks; 05-03-2016 at 08:31 PM.
    73rr likes this.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Don't have a clue, but good luck with the interview.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Have no clue but good luck CR!

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    Good luck man. Wish I knew.

Quote Originally Posted by crazy_rocks View Post
    I passed the test and have an interview with the sheet metal union. What's that like? I heard a table of people each asking a question. All I know is the interview is 15 min long.

I brought up unions so please no political arguing, thanks.
    Just thinking this over on the way home. I've never been a union member, but I am a machinist/toolmaker. If you've already passed the test and the interview is only 15 minutes long, I can't seem them hammering you too hard. Maybe a couple bs questions like the use of a bead roller/crimper or really basic stuff. Can't see that they would get into any layout questions, you know. Probably just a meet and greet to check.out your personality. (I'm guessing)?
    Anyway, best of luck!
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Basically it was the asvab test like when you join the military

Basically it was the asvab test like when you join the military
    Oh Jeez, I remember that one from 1982. One particular question has always stuck in my mind.

Which of the following doesn't belong:

a) knife
    b)fork
    c) rock
    d) spoon.
    Charlie67 likes this.

Charlie67 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    ^^^^ That's my new favorite interview question!
    Euroholic likes this.

Zodiac82 is offline AR's Scrapple Lover
    It depends...u pretty much go in front of a board/panel. ...and the see if ur qualified to handle that type of work..
    Just bcuz uve passed the test definitely doesn't guarantee u will pass the interview ...
    There more than likely interviewing hundreds of people who have passed the test...
    If u tell them this is what u want and if u have experience let them kno that u already kno u can handle the work and u more feel like this is a good career for u....
    Good luck

Euroholic is offline "ARs Pork Eating Crusader"
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    Oh Jeez, I remember that one from 1982. One particular question has always stuck in my mind.

Which of the following doesn't belong:

a) knife
    b)fork
    c) rock
    d) spoon.

If your standing on top of a building do you think about jumping?

Thats the one i remember from my army medical.

A old copper once told me. He got asked would he rather punch his wife in the face or kill his dog? How are you meant to even answer that question? What would even be the right answer.

Fhritp is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Euroholic View Post

A old copper once told me. He got asked would he rather punch his wife in the face or kill his dog? How are you meant to even answer that question? What would even be the right answer.
    Lol punch your wife in the face, duh.

(Joking...)

Quote Originally Posted by Euroholic View Post

Sounds more like a psych test rather than whatever. I took the psych test for this course and one question was if you were an artist would you paint flowers? 15 questions later, if you were a flower would you let an artist paint you?

Aside from all that interview is tomorrow. Got the shirt and pants ironed and ready.
    almostgone likes this.

aragorn1500 is offline New Member
    All the best with the interview. I obviously have no idea if you know how unions are structured. I believe with the sheet metal union you have a four or five year apprenticeship and once you finish that you are awarded your Journeyman's papers.
    Now comes the fun part, you can make really good wages and have benefits, but if you think about it, you are actually not employed by anyone. The way it works is you will be placed on a call list (some unions refer to it as an "Extra Board") and what happens is when your name comes to the top is when you are next in line to get a spot to go to work.

For example, a contractor will call the union hall and say he needs fifty guys for the next six months to build a new hospital.
    Great, but once that job is over you go back on the extra list and have to wait for another call, in the meantime, you still have to be paying your union dues or you go bye-bye. Good luck.

The interview was pretty easy. It was relaxed. Three guys at a table asking questions. They called me a week later and set me up with a job with a big company. A lot of the guys there having been working there for decades.

Hazard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    I'm actually getting into the stage hand union. Have to take the test next. I have a "Rabbi" as they call it and he's been doing a lot to get me in. He says they're going to love my size lol. I'm really hoping to pass this test and get in.

The apprenticeship lasts as long as it takes you to make "X" amount of dollars for 3 years in a row. Once you do - you become a union member.
    Failure is not and option..... ONLY beyond failure is - Haz

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

NOT DOING SOURCE CHECKS......

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Idk but Interview sounds highly subjective to influence and nepotism once pass the test.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    I'm actually getting into the stage hand union. Have to take the test next. I have a "Rabbi" as they call it and he's been doing a lot to get me in. He says they're going to love my size lol. I'm really hoping to pass this test and get in.

The apprenticeship lasts as long as it takes you to make "X" amount of dollars for 3 years in a row. Once you do - you become a union member.
    Never would have thought they had a union for that.

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    The interview was pretty easy. It was relaxed. Three guys at a table asking questions. They called me a week later and set me up with a job with a big company. A lot of the guys there having been working there for decades.
    Congratulations man. Best of luck with the new job. All unions are not the same though. Each one has it's good and bad points just like different companies. It's what you make out of it that counts.

Thread Information