BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member

Prior servicemen or Active Duty.

Hey guys, can any of ya'll watch a movie like Black Hawk Down, or We Were Soldiers without getting a bit choked up or am I just weird? I have been out for several years and desperatly miss being with my unit. I did have the honor to fight along side them in several small conflicts and thankfully we never lost anyone during those conflicts. I still talk to my guys now and than and most are still active. I'm not sure if I have a point here, ut just wondering if anyone else feels the same. I want to re-enlist (call me nuts) but at the same time I don't want to leave my kids for months at a time. If I decide to go back in I wouldn't rejoin the Teams but go Airborne or Ranger with the hopes of being accepted into Delta. I don't know, I'm tired and can't think straight. I'm going to bed.

sublang is offline Junior Member
    I feel the same way bro. I can't hear "Proud to be an American" without getting choked up. I have also recently thought of re-enlisting. However, with the current situation it is almost a guaranteed deployment away from the wife and kids (which is why I got out in the first place). I have also thought seriously about the Guard or Reserve. I am steadfast in my dedication to my country but my family always comes first. I just wanted to let you know there is someone out there with the same feelings.

Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Hell BigT..I feel the same way everytime I watch any of those types of movies..My wife just bought me "Tears of the Sun", which was excellent by the way, and I was feeling choked up during that one..I miss the service even though I have built a great life for me and my family, nothing will ever make me more proud then when I was serving my country..I know what I learned in the Marines taught me the discipline and committment to succeed and strive for the best..Semper Fi!!!

Doc M

Doc M

Strut99GT is offline Member
    I was never in the service, but even I get choked up by that stuff. I have the utmost respect for those that serve/served our country, and am pretty fiercly patriotic. If I hadn't gotten a job after graduation, I probably would have joined the Marines.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Hell yes. I got out thinking that their was some pot of gold available for me. Getting out of the Marines and back to civilian life was comparable to getting out of Boot Camp and into the fleet. I felt pumped! But after a few months out - it feels like everything went to a screeching halt... all the excitment of it all... and the Corps was like a family everywhere ya went.

I might be going back very soon for a tour in the Middle East. But this time as an overpaid civilian. Still a few months out though... it's a long process...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Prior servicemen or Active Duty.-bigguns.jpg  
    Last edited by Warrior; 07-02-2003 at 07:07 PM.

I was waiting for you to respond to this Warrior. Guys if there's anybody in this world that destroys the stereotype of Marines not bneing to bright, it's our man Warrior (Damn Jarhead.... ) Just playing brother. I too was excited about getting out at the time, thinking civilain life would be all great, 2 weeks of that and I was missing the fleet! Now I realize just how good I had it in the service. Hey Warrior, what ya heading over there for, if you don't mind me asking? I too have an oppurtunity to go overseas like that for a job, not sure if I want it though. The work is riskyu and the pay isn't all that great, it's good ut by no means great. ( Kind of like the military)

Quote Originally Posted by BIG TEXAN
    I was waiting for you to respond to this Warrior. Guys if there's anybody in this world that destroys the stereotype of Marines not bneing to bright, it's our man Warrior (Damn Jarhead.... ) Just playing brother. I too was excited about getting out at the time, thinking civilain life would be all great, 2 weeks of that and I was missing the fleet! Now I realize just how good I had it in the service. Hey Warrior, what ya heading over there for, if you don't mind me asking? I too have an oppurtunity to go overseas like that for a job, not sure if I want it though. The work is riskyu and the pay isn't all that great, it's good ut by no means great. ( Kind of like the military)
    Okay now BigT..You have forced me to post a pic along with Warrior..There are a lot of sharp former Marines, you just don't hear about them unless they are picking people off from a tower..Here is me in my youth..Many, many years ago..Doc M
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Prior servicemen or Active Duty.-dcp_0724.jpg  

Holy crap..Sorry..I thought I resized it properly..I guess I don't have Warrior's computer skills..Doc M

I apologize there sir. *Mental note..... don't stand within 2000 yards of any towers*

Ok, so there's 2 former MArines (probably more) on this board that puts the theory of MArines being brainless killing machines to the trash heap.

Ya damn JARJHEAD!!!!

Haha - thanks Texan. I can asure you (and I am sure Doc can too) that there are some frickin' knuckle head Lance Coolies and PFC's out there... but hey we all started somewhere. I was one too. It's the having to eat a baby in Boot Camp that gets ya all twisted inisde But yeah - the media will be the first write, "Former Marine" does this and that... and sometimes it leads to a bad rep...

Nice pic Doc - looking like a gun slinger - Gots the pair eh? Scuba and the gold wings - I bet you gots some sea stories

Here is one more of me right before I did the Ordinance Kiss - I mean... Marines don't haze each other anymore... noway... right Doc? If I had done it though - I bet you'd find the slug brass sitting on my mantel today... with my LCpl teeth marks inbedded in it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Prior servicemen or Active Duty.-howitzer.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by BIG TEXAN
    Hey Warrior, what ya heading over there for, if you don't mind me asking? I too have an oppurtunity to go overseas like that for a job, not sure if I want it though. The work is riskyu and the pay isn't all that great, it's good ut by no means great. ( Kind of like the military)
    The pay is pretty good. Relatively speaking. I mean, no bills and being able to travel some more is a big incenetive for me. It probably wouldn't be worth it to someone who make a decent income and has too many responsibilities at home. It sounds like a good deal to me though - it's just a huge preemployment process. They want you to go overseas for at least a year, unaccompanied.

ichiban is offline Female Member
    I hope this is not too off topic....
    I have a special place in my heart for all you crazy marines. My dad is a retired marine Col., and whom i have the utmost respect for.After his 30 years of serving his country, he went on to become extremely sucssesful in the hi-tech industry, which i know is because of what he went through in the military. When ever i have a problem, he just tells me that it is easy, no matter if it's running a marathon or making a life altering desicion. He always says "fuck 'em, just do it"!

And, yes I do get a bit teary when watching war movies.

Warrior, there is by no means hazing going on in the military. If there was hazing I'm sure someone would have noticed if all the petty officers and a few chiefs, aboard at the time of me recieving my first crow, beating the hell out of my arm. Although I do blame this for the slight inability of full range of motion in my arm.

Heck no Warrior, definitely no hazing going on..

"Gunslinger", I kind of like that Warrior..I'll have to think of something now that I traded in my guns for bandaids..

ANd I certainly do have a lot of sea stories because it seems like I was always in some unsavory location overseas..There are days that I miss that whole way of life so much that it drives me crazy..But then I look at my beautiful wife and think about my baby and I'm glad I'm home..

Doc M

Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    [QUOTE=BIG TEXAN]I apologize there sir. *Mental note..... don't stand within 2000 yards of any towers*

Ok, so there's 2 former MArines (probably more) on this board that puts the theory of MArines being brainless killing machines to the trash heap.
    QUOTE]

Actually, I thought the whole point of being a marine was to be a killing machine with a brain - the ultimate in advanced technology

I never went in myself - I took the tests, fibbed about me having contacts so I could pass eyesight (back then they were rather novel things) - but top gun had just come out and the waiting list for the positions I wanted went to about 2 yrs and I said heck with it. But I love our country and love those who accept the call to be that happy band of brothers (and sisters) who are willing to offer their life in order to protect my own and the freedom that my forefathers purchased with their blood.

On this 4th, we salute them and wish them safety and God speed back to the families that wait for them.

Commando_Barbi is offline AR's Arresting Angel Vet
    Although I've never been in any combat situations, I have been in 18 yrs. My time is coming to an end. It's going to be an adjustment for me. My job keeps me behind the scenes....but it's important so I enjoy it. My best friend just retired from the Teams and I worried about him everytime he took off. Those movies get to me too......Tears of the Sun was intense. I get really pissed however when I see a movie where they butcher our uniforms, run around with long hair, LT bars and being called CAPT. Anyway, I'm the uniform nazi at my command so .... it's to be expected.

I don't know where I was going with this but had to speak up for the women on the board. I can't be the only active duty female in here.....

Ciao all - C.B.
    1. Once a cheat always a cheat!
    2. YES, SHE can get pregnant the first time!
    3. NO, PULLING out IS NOT a RELIABLE method of Birth Control. DAMMMMIT..... Wrap that shyte UP!!

Women over 30 are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you, if they think they can get away with it.

For all those men who say, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free". Here's an update for you. Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage, why? Because women realize it's not worth buying an entire Pig, just to get a little sausage.

What the mind can conceive....the body will achieve!

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    I get choked up when I hear "Flight of the Valkaries"...i just keep remembering Robert Duvall in Apocalypes Now during the helo/beach raid scene...now that is quality.
    Now I get pissed off at films like Top Gun...Crimson Tide (although it was a good flick, just a no true to the Silent Service)...and a few others, but that is Hollywood and not reality..so I cut 'em some slack.

Commando_Barbi is offline AR's Arresting Angel Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaSlamma
    I get choked up when I hear "Flight of the Valkaries"...i just keep remembering Robert Duvall in Apocalypes Now during the helo/beach raid scene...now that is quality.
    Now I get pissed off at films like Top Gun...Crimson Tide (although it was a good flick, just a no true to the Silent Service)...and a few others, but that is Hollywood and not reality..so I cut 'em some slack.
    Hey Bama...Long time No See.....when you getting your ass back here???

I'm still the only female on this thread.....what's up with that. Attaching my pic....in uniform. Not the greatest one however...
    1. Once a cheat always a cheat!
    2. YES, SHE can get pregnant the first time!
    3. NO, PULLING out IS NOT a RELIABLE method of Birth Control. DAMMMMIT..... Wrap that shyte UP!!

Women over 30 are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you, if they think they can get away with it.

For all those men who say, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free". Here's an update for you. Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage, why? Because women realize it's not worth buying an entire Pig, just to get a little sausage.

What the mind can conceive....the body will achieve!

Hey CB, what team was he in and his name perphaps, I knew him or even served with him before. Also no worries about posting your pic.

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Commando_Barbi
    Hey Bama...Long time No See.....when you getting your ass back here???

I'm still the only female on this thread.....what's up with that. Attaching my pic....in uniform. Not the greatest one however...
    Damn Becka....I came thru there when i took some leave after Jump School enroute to Monterey...stayed for a bit...tried to call but you were in S.D. or somewhere else for that matter. I 'll be back in October!!!

G Child is offline Anabolic Member
    Some kind of padded room...wearing some kinda white jacket...can't move...help!
    Sometimes I miss it
    Last edited by G Child; 07-12-2003 at 02:44 AM.

. . .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Prior servicemen or Active Duty.-smiley.gif  
    Last edited by G Child; 07-12-2003 at 11:46 AM.

But most of the time I could care less

. . .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Prior servicemen or Active Duty.-smiley.gif  
    Last edited by G Child; 07-12-2003 at 11:43 AM.

decadbal is offline Banned

hell ya

i agree completely bro. i was in the army, infantry, 2nd ranger batt, and was hurt and got to come home, it was that or change jobs, and really who would wanna be some slack ass supply geek ro seomthing when you were already a grunt. but its good to see some spirit and espre de corpe. HOOAH, RANGERS LEAD THE WAY.

ripsid is offline Senior Member
    Well, Big T my big bro, you know we stomped some of the same turf and we trained with the same group of guys in Coronado. I know for a fact, and I think we discussed this before, that I regret and miss alot of things in the military. And every time I watch a movie and I see ribbon back asswards or terms being inappropriately used. Hell when I see someone with a shitty hair cut, I just shake my head and say "unsat!"

I miss stomping in Cali, Coronado and Port whoneedsme! and I miss my bro's! THen I remember the well unoiled F*King they gave me! Screwed over 4 times for NAM's! and a NCM! I can say this, I'm proud! and I"m loud when it comes to voicing about being a proud sailor! I also don't miss the pay! Or the grub! I miss the military lifestyle and bene's you get. Exchange and Commisary...oh well!

GO NAVY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ( I have pics of me firing 60mm mortars, m60, 50 cal's and stuff, but I don't have a scanner...)

quirky531 is offline New Member

semper fi!!

just got out of boot ... on my leave (its wednsday got 5 days left) im heading to SOI then afterwards hopefully i pass the endoc for recon school (thats the MOS i signed in as) but i entirely understand what you mean ... ive only been a marine for a short time but i saw tears of the sun for instance ... or any movie showing the military i get chocked up and it makes me eager to get overseas and defend my country ... ferociously i might add . Anyways thats my 2 cents ... SOUND OFF MARINES ... LET ME HEAR YOUR WAR CRY!!! ... out

quircky, just if you do get into any live combat.... listen to your NCO's they'll get your ass back here in one piece. Good luck and stay safe Marine!

TANK01 is offline Associate Member
    Well got a tear in my eye, wot a fairy !

I served alongside a number of Jar heads, since once being in a Similar Allied Service.

I have to say that for me, when your back is against a wall, the best sight in the world is a motivated marine, and from personal experience there is no other kind of marine !!!!!!

BullDogg20 is offline Member
    For the guys who miss the Military....
    Why dont you reenlist and go back in.

Thats what i am doing!

navydevildoc is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BullDogg20
    For the guys who miss the Military....
    Why dont you reenlist and go back in.

Thats what i am doing!
    I joined the Navy, but they have this thing called the Fleet Marine Force... funny how the recruiter never mentioned that! Anyway, after 6 and a half years in, almost all with the Marine Corps infantry out at Camp Lejeune, I wouldn't have given it up for the world. I have been all over the world, been in combat (truly a life changing experience), and in general am a much better person because of it.

But you can only take getting shit on so much before you say "enough". I am also now a much better payed contractor doing good work for DoD. I am still a reservist, getting my "military fix" but it's enough to remind me why I got off Active Duty. But that doesn't keep me from getting choked up when I watch movies, the latest was "Rules of Engagement", which I watched on the plane this weekend. Being a former corpsman, seeing all that in a realistic movie was rough. Not to mention I have been on an emergency embassy security detail before. It hits close to home.

Anyway, my hats off to you Bulldog for going back in. If something comes up that needs my help (I am actually an IT in the reserves now, but my HM 8404 is still there) then I have no problem going back to active duty and taking care of business.

ripsid is offline Senior Member
    I can say there was a time when I was on the bubble debating going back in.. I was working as a contractor for NSWC in Philly, but then I went to school for the network engineering stuff, and now work in the telephony industry.
    I'm a proud PROUD vet! but when I was in, I was the guy that was squared away but not with the best military bearing! I'd go home, and it was me! I had like 12 earings and my nose pierced twice! I wanted nothing to do with the military.... With all the political BS that went on and I got screwed out of 4 NAM's and a NCM. I busted my ass and got screwed! So, anytime I get the itch.... I think back to how many times I was Fooked! Miss my buddies, but don't miss the BS!

SID

Thread Information