Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: What are your favorite and least favorite products from SHOT Show 2017?

numbere is offline RETIRED- Knowledgeable member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettoboyd View Post
    sorry to hijack again but thank you guys for your feedback I agree with you all that I should go check out a gun range /store and go from there...from listening to you guys I have a lot to learn so that would be the safest way to figure out what exactly my wants and needs are and how to use it/them...I just don't ever want to be that guy who couldn't defend his family during a home invasion...and now that no place is safe anymore I feel its time...thanks again...
    You're not hijacking, I created this thread for everyone.

As long as your post is firearm related you're all good.

Firearm ownership isn't for everyone because it's lot of responsibility, but everyone should understand basic firearm safety.

Firearms are kind of like AAS in that if you don't know what you're doing they can be scary and you can easily hurt yourself.

Knowledge is power and it's not difficult to become proficient with a firearm.

If you're going to purchase and keep a firearm in your house then you should probably take your wife or children with you for lessons.

Learning with or teaching someone else firearm manipulation is a great bonding experience.

I've taught every girlfriend I've ever had how to shoot and they all eventually bought their own pistols and got carry licenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Couchlockd View Post
    Check out underwood, for high pressure hot as fuck loads across all calibers (but reloaded might prefer their own fireballs)

I use them for my 9x25 Dillon, and 10mm,357 sig.
    They have some hot rounds!

I have a few boxes of their 90gr 9mm 1500fps.

Their 10mm and 357sig loads are impressive at 1700fps.

I use to hunt with a friend who carried a Glock 31 and loaded his his own carry ammo.

He would consistently get 1500fps+ from his 357sig with a few grains of Red Dot.

Couchlock is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by numbere View Post

I use to hunt with a friend who carried a Glock 31 and loaded his his own carry ammo.

He would consistently get 1500fps+ from his 357sig with a few grains of Red Dot.
    Is that 1500 with 125 g slugs or lighter?

I had a box of 95g 9x25 dillon, 2100fps.

They were very unfriendly to eyes and ears at night

With the 3 slot ported barrel, it left flashes in your vision that looked like Wi-Fi symbols for 2 hours. Heheh

Blog Entries

Firearm ownership isn't for everyone because it's lot of responsibility, but everyone should understand basic firearm safety.

Firearms are kind of like AAS in that if you don't know what you're doing they can be scary and you can easily hurt yourself.

If you're going to purchase and keep a firearm in your house then you should probably take your wife or children with you for lessons.

Learning with or teaching someone else firearm manipulation is a great bonding experience.

I've taught every girlfriend I've ever had how to shoot and they all eventually bought their own pistols and got carry licenses.
    that's a fantastic idea man getting the family involved thanks again...
    RaginCajun likes this.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer

In bold above. Very good advice that you will never regret. Safety+familiarity= competence + confidence= effective use in a situation that requires action.
    ghettoboyd and RaginCajun like this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Capebuffalo is offline - MONITOR -

I hand loaded my .375 H&H for Africa. I had a Nosler Partition 265 gr traveling 2800 ft per second. Remington 700 BDL with the trigger worked by me to .75 lbs. it is a tack driver.

Is that 1500 with 125 g slugs or lighter?

I had a box of 95g 9x25 dillon, 2100fps.

They were very unfriendly to eyes and ears at night

With the 3 slot ported barrel, it left flashes in your vision that looked like Wi-Fi symbols for 2 hours. Heheh
    I believe he was loading 115gr JHP with 10 grains of red dot.

If your interested in different loading the site attached below is awesome.

2100fps is smoking!

Of course that's unfriendly it's like driving a Hot Rod.

Not for daily use, just when you need some fun lol.

handloads.org

Quote Originally Posted by ghettoboyd View Post
    that's a fantastic idea man getting the family involved thanks again...
    You'd probably want to go by yourself or with your wife first before you bring any kids.

Not that it would be a bad situation just that no man wants to feel or look unsure of himself in front of his kids.

Also, you should call in advance because any please I've ever been that had lessons made you schedule before hand.
    ghettoboyd likes this.

Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    Well, if Im allowed to post about my weapon of choice, it would be the 2017 bowtech BT Mag

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1847-Photo-Credit-Scott-Einsmann.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	456.0 KB 
ID:	167252
    almostgone and RaginCajun like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Capebuffalo View Post
    I hand loaded my .375 H&H for Africa. I had a Nosler Partition 265 gr traveling 2800 ft per second. Remington 700 BDL with the trigger worked by me to .75 lbs. it is a tack driver.
    Did you hunt in Africa?

0.75lb that's insanely light!!!

I usually put a 3-3½lb pull on the rifles I accurize.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.BB View Post
    Well, if Im allowed to post about my weapon of choice, it would be the 2017 bowtech BT Mag
    Pounds of pull?

Feet per second?

Pounds of pull?

Feet per second?
    340 f/s

I would probably go for a 60lbs, like my old PSE, really no need for the 70 except if you are hunting REAL big game

340 f/s

I would probably go for a 60lbs, like my old PSE, really no need for the 70 except if you are hunting REAL big game
    I always liked a 70lb compound, but I think it was mostly a confidence or bravado thing.

An arrow with a good broadhead traveling 340fps would probably go through a 55 gallon steel drum.

I shot a white tail buck one year and when butchering it up found a 3 bladed broadhaed with 4 inches of shaft behind the front shoulder.

It was all healed over and from 1 or 2 years prior.

What a feat of strength to be able to live a normal life with razer blades in your shoulder.
    Capebuffalo and almostgone like this.

I always liked a 70lb compound, but I think it was mostly a confidence or bravado thing.

An arrow with a good broadhead traveling 340fps would probably go through a 55 gallon steel drum.

I shot a white tail buck one year and when butchering it up found a 3 bladed broadhaed with 4 inches of shaft behind the front shoulder.

It was all healed over and from 1 or 2 years prior.

What a feat of strength to be able to live a normal life with razer blades in your shoulder.
    Wow @ broadhead inside the buck

I only shoot target or 3D, not much big game around here. Eventually tuned my bow down to 50lbs, its gets annoying to damage so many arrows.

Still deadly, and great fun
    RaginCajun likes this.

Did you hunt in Africa?

0.75lb that's insanely light!!!

I usually put a 3-3½lb pull on the rifles I accurize.
    Namibia twice and Mozambique once.
    Killed a 43 inch 15 inch hard boss Cape Buffalo with a Merkel double .470 NE iron sights at 100 yards. Broke his spine and heard the death bellow.
    15 others with the .375 and a Blue Diker with a .22 mag.

You touch the trigger it's gone. The best long range shot is the one that surprises you when it goes off. In my experience. I tool a bush buck at 360 yards in a 20-30 mile per hr left to right wind. They are the size of a Lab.
    I had the .375 ranged to 600 yards. Throwing 265 grains was pretty awesome.
    Last edited by Capebuffalo; 01-27-2017 at 07:34 PM.

340 f/s

I had a PSE Fire Flight Express a long time ago.

I carry my sbr in a backpack to the grocery store.
    LOL, I thought I was prepared because I carry a Gerber Strongarm horizontally in the small of my back in addition to a sidearm whenever I'm off work and out rambling around trying to keep tabs on the late night tweakers/meth fueled thieves so they don't steal what little we have.
    Glad that when I do drink alcohol, I drink rural made liquor. Really.wouldn't want to get in a ruckus with you over the last 12 pack of beer on a late night last minute beer run.
    Capebuffalo likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

On a semi-funny side note. I saw online somewhere, perhaps here a pretty good observation and would make a pretty good T-shirt logo.
    What's the difference between a crackhead and a tweaker?

The crackhead will steal your shit and bounce--the tweaker will steal your shit and then help you look for it.

numbere and Capebuffalo like this.

I liked the beretta px4 compact carry model.

I may grab on asap I see one local

I liked the beretta px4 compact carry model.

I may grab on asap I see one local
    That looks really nice especially if you prefer a DA/SA trigger and external safety.

$900 seems like a for for the added upgrades.

Maybe the price will come down closer to the $500 PX4 Storm.

Beretta PX4 Storm Compact Carry Upgrades:

-Compact but Full Grip for Most Shooters
    -PX4 Specific Talon Grips
    -Low Profile Slide Lock Lever and Manual Safety De-Cocker
    -Trigger Group and Internal Parts Plated for Smoother Action
    -Improved Coated Springs
    -Thinner Cerokote Gray Slide
    -Ameriglo Orange Front Sight
    -(3) Sizes of Magazine Release Button – Easily Changed
    -Ships with (3) 15-round Magazines

Blog Entries
    You'd probably want to go by yourself or with your wife first before you bring any kids.

Not that it would be a bad situation just that no man wants to feel or look unsure of himself in front of his kids.

Also, you should call in advance because any please I've ever been that had lessons made you schedule before hand.
    thank you for your well though out responses my friend and that goes out to all of you that have taken the time to address my question and not make me feel like an idiot/pussy...you are all good people and class acts...im proud to call you all friends...
    almostgone likes this.

That looks really nice especially if you prefer a DA/SA trigger and external safety.

$900 seems like a for for the added upgrades.

Maybe the price will come down closer to the $500 PX4 Storm.

Beretta PX4 Storm Compact Carry Upgrades:

-Compact but Full Grip for Most Shooters
    -PX4 Specific Talon Grips
    -Low Profile Slide Lock Lever and Manual Safety De-Cocker
    -Trigger Group and Internal Parts Plated for Smoother Action
    -Improved Coated Springs
    -Thinner Cerokote Gray Slide
    -Ameriglo Orange Front Sight
    -(3) Sizes of Magazine Release Button - Easily Changed
    -Ships with (3) 15-round Magazines

YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1LVe8kWaWU
    90% of that is just polishing internals.

Damn, 400 for,a set of,ameriglo sights?

I paid 359 plus tax for my full size 40 cal px4.

Looks like its back to Glock 36 for me then, I like the subcompact 45 gap.

One thing I do not like about the px4's, is the slide lock (switch to remove slide) requires no rearward pressure of the slide to remove it.

If something snags it good, or if you had jet lee in front of the muzzle, you can rip the slide off the frame in one quick single motion.

I practice this a few hours a week with mine for muscle memory, just in case I ever encounter a scenario in front of the business end of a px4.
    Last edited by Couchlock; 01-29-2017 at 09:50 AM.

Moab is offline New Member
    What do you guys prefer in rifles? I'm a gun builder myself. AK's mostly. I have a small parts company. I usually build BFPU (battlefield pick up - it's to make the rifle look old or used. It's a thing in the gunbuilding world. lol.)

Anything else interesting at the SHOT show?

Quote Originally Posted by Moab View Post
    What do you guys prefer in rifles? I'm a gun builder myself. AK's mostly. I have a small parts company. I usually build BFPU (battlefield pick up - it's to make the rifle look old or used. It's a thing in the gunbuilding world. lol.)

Anything else interesting at the SHOT show?
    My favorite rifle now is my Daniel Defense M4A1. I love that gun. She's been good to me.

Moab is offline New Member
    My favorite rifle now is my Daniel Defense M4A1. I love that gun. She's been good to me.
    I built these. The second one is battlefield pick up style. An old Romanian AK from the 60's.

Name:	IMG_4201_zps34bf6191.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	167318Click image for larger version. 

Name:	romrightside_zps45d10158.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	167319
    Capebuffalo and RaginCajun like this.

I love my Armalite mid length with A2 upper, but really want to get the oldschool fixed stock 20" barrel with A2 upper that I have fond memories of and buy an A4 upper for my mid length....plus another pistol or.two, more ink, and POOF! Tax refund spent.
    Have a mid-90s Maadi Arms MAK90, but it's more of a plaything than a dedicated shooter?
    Capebuffalo and RaginCajun like this.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Here is something I built about a year ago, 6.8 SPC. I'm currently looking for a scope with more magnification for it

Name:	image-2351493994.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	497.9 KB 
ID:	167330
    almostgone likes this.

let me know if y'all know of any deals on scopes!

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun View Post
    Here is something I built about a year ago, 6.8 SPC. I'm currently looking for a scope with more magnification for it

Name:	image-2351493994.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	497.9 KB 
ID:	167330
    6.8 SPC is a good round! Some guys are loyal to .300 blackout, but I enjoy shooting the 6.8 SPC.
    LOL, the ballistics gurus love to pick the 2 rounds apart almost as much as 6.5 Creedmoor vs. .270 Win.
    RaginCajun likes this.

let me know if y'all know of any deals on scopes!
    What size objective and magnification are looking for, RC? Occasionally, I run across "things"?

Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    What size objective and magnification are looking for, RC? Occasionally, I run across "things"?
    i am thinking just a 3x9x40 or something to that nature

i have a 1-4x20 leupold on it now, which i do like, just wanting more magnification. prob build a SBR and put the 1-4x20 on that

Leupold makes a reasonably priced 4-12 x 50 if you can handle the center height of the scope and maintain your cheek to stock weld? Also, know they had some nice 40mm objectives as well.
    The 1-4 x 20 wouldn't be bad on a SBR unless light was a factor. If it was maybe a holographic sight? I have Trijicon night sights on my mid-length at the dots make it really easy.on the old eyes especially in daytime.
    Guess it all depends if you're playing around in the shaded area of the swamps or out on the grassy flats?
    Last edited by almostgone; 02-01-2017 at 10:02 AM.
    RaginCajun likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    Leupold makes a reasonably priced 4-12 x 50 if you can handle the center height of the scope and maintain your cheek to stock weld? Also, know they had some nice 40mm objectives as well.
    The 1-4 x 20 wouldn't be bad on a SBR unless light was a factor. If it was maybe a holographic sight? I have Trijicon night sights on my mid-length at the dots make it really easy.on the old eyes especially in daytime.
    Guess it all depends if you're playing around in the shaded area of the swamps or out on the grassy flats?
    i will look into that one, thanks!
    almostgone likes this.

i am thinking just a 3x9x40 or something to that nature

i have a 1-4x20 leupold on it now, which i do like, just wanting more magnification. prob build a SBR and put the 1-4x20 on that
    SBR put a red dot on it. You won't be shooting for distance with it.
    almostgone and RaginCajun like this.

Went shoot my sr40c this evening, not too shabby

I found when I went from the 15rd magazine to the 10 rd magazine, I was pulling some to lower left.

Went shoot my sr40c this evening, not too shabby

I found when I went from the 15rd magazine to the 10 rd magazine, I was pulling some to lower left.
    I like my sr40 lots.

Got Galloway stainless guide rod, polished guts , ghost 3lb ultimate, stainless cocking indicator, sans mag disconnect

Quote Originally Posted by Couchlockd
    I like my sr40 lots. Got Galloway stainless guide rod, polished guts , ghost 3lb ultimate, stainless cocking indicator, sans mag disconnect
    Nice!

Do you happen to know if they make threaded barrels for it?

I have yet to find one

Nice!

Do you happen to know if they make threaded barrels for it?

I have yet to find one
    I don't know, but I been out the gun "loop" for a while.

But ain't that 40c a sweet little piece?

Quote Originally Posted by Couchlockd
    I don't know, but I been out the gun "loop" for a while. But ain't that 40c a sweet little piece?
    Yes, I enjoy shooting it and it is pretty accurate.

Just found a laser for it so back to range sometime to test it out
    almostgone likes this.

i am soooooooo close to pulling the trigger on this!!! (like the pun)

http://www.capitolarmory.com/silence...uppressor.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information