ptbyjason Guest

Cool Drag Queen Seeks to Rule Canada's Right-Wing Party

By Rajiv Sekhri

TORONTO (Reuters) - Toronto's best-known drag queen, famous for six-inch heels, slinky dresses and a failed bid to become the city's mayor, said on Thursday she wanted to join the race to head the right-wing opposition Canadian Alliance party.

``I am a supermodel for a super party,'' said Enza 'Supermodel'' Anderson. ``I don't care what you call me but please put in supermodel.''

The 37-year-old, who has worked as a singer in Toronto's largely gay Church St. district, launched her campaign at Toronto City Hall wearing a short maroon dress, her signature stilettos, a blond wig and bright red lipstick.

Dismissing the Alliance as ``racist, supporting bigoted attitudes and an anti-gay stance,'' she said the party needed to become more diverse to beat the Liberals. ``I am the one to do it,'' said Anderson, who prefers to be called a ``she.''

``As a new leader of the right, I plan to unite the opposition. Let me tell 'ya, there are a lot of sexy MPs (members of parliament) I'd like to unite right now.''

The Alliance came a poor second to the Liberals in last year's federal election. The party will next year vote in a new leader -- or perhaps reelect outgoing leader Stockwell Day, who quit this week to allow for a leadership race.

But Anderson's platform may not match the tough-on-crime Alliance. She wants affordable housing, better public transport and decriminalization of marijuana and prostitution.

``Why is it that when a drag queen runs for office, people consider it a joke? But if (Stockwell Day) shows up in a wet suit or if the prime minister of Canada shows up in a dinghy, it's considered serious and worthy of national attention,'' she said, referring to recent media pictures of federal leaders.

Anderson, who says her political platform is ``much more than my six-inch heels,'' sashayed into politics last November and won 15,000 votes in the Toronto mayoralty race.

That placed her third on a slate of 25 candidates for the job, won -- as expected -- by flamboyant Mel Lastman.

Lastman later hit the headlines with ill-timed comments that may have helped scupper Toronto's bid to host the 2008 Olympic Games. He balked at the idea of traveling to Africa to lobby for the bid, admitting he was afraid of being boiled in a pot with natives dancing around him.

Anderson said she had nearly collected the C$25,000 and 300 signatures needed to be eligible to run to lead the Alliance.

If she doesn't win, she will continue to work odd jobs. But she said she had stopped doing drag shows now that her political career seems to be blossoming.

Day, quoted in the National Post newspaper earlier this month, refused to rule out any candidate for his job.

``We're a very open party,'' Day said. ``I'm just pleased that we continue to attract people from across the spectrum.''

(Additional reporting by Dan Birch)

ptbyjason Guest
    With all the Canadians on this board, I couldn't resist.

righton is offline Senior Member
    And my friends ask why i moved down here!!!!!!

Full Intensity is offline Anabolic Member
    U had to throw that on did u!

ptbyjason Guest
    With all the canadians on the board, I wasn't going to let this opportunity pass.

MOFO! Just wait, us canadians will keep this in mind LOL

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    will get you back..hahahaa.....but it may take some time..that was a good one..damn...

ptbyjason Guest
    I was actually hoping someone from there could shed some more light on this. Any Canadian want to share?

NO I DO NOT WANT TO SHARE! LOL

ptbyjason Guest
    Originally posted by Full Intensity
    NO I DO NOT WANT TO SHARE! LOL
    So are you saying you want he/she all to yourself?

Damn u, i'm going to forget i ever posted on this thread LOL

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    LOL, I don't see what the big deal is. I'm actually glad that he/she is running for the Alliance leadership, because I hate that party anyways. Its just a bunch of bible-thumping old men that are against any kind of change. The last thing I want to hear during a debate is a speech about God.

Thread Information