Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FKITLETSGO is offline Senior Member

Help me purchase a laptop

Give me experience's and your opinion of the perfect pc. Im looking to purchase in a month or so.

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    What will you be using it for?

ripsid is offline Senior Member
    fkits....well 1st you off you could be more vague...
    2nd a shit load o memory!
    3rd atleast the fastest processor availlable! p4 2.X gig that is expandable!

expandable video card!

sid!

im not educated at all on this subject so bare with me please.

Ill be using it for school in addition to posting and chatting...email...ect.

I would like to keep it very secure with very good encryption services and firewalls......virus protection...ect..ect...

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    My PC is a Dell. Best PC I've had yet. Plus I got a great deal too. There lap tops are nice. Check out Dell.com

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    If you don't know much about puters i would buy a dell. You can call and bitch at them 24/7 and they have good warranties. Like rip said get p4 2.X. The 2.4's have come down in price and is a good bang for buck. DvD player, burner and a 15" screen is also a nice option.

lloyd_cannon is offline Associate Member
    with a laptop I dont know shit about them I know tons about desktops though. You dont really need a good graphics card with it for that kind of use when you customize i would get the cheapest video card setting there is. I would go midrange on price and make sure when you customize that you get 512mb of memory. DOn t worry bout the size and weight alot of times the heavier ones hold up better and you prob use AS so you can carry it around. Get a dell probably they have best support but not price but when you need support its nice to have. Youll need a modem and think about maybe a cd-rw drive so you can burn cd's this will run more but you might need it. its a better way to store info than floppy. um that is about it...

oh shit modem need is probably a network card because at colledge you have broadband in most places they will hook your ass up when you get there

oh shit sorry bout AS usage i see your natural

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Just get one with a built in nic and modem.

oh yah my bad all are built in today im retarded sorry dude if all else fails call dell and they will help you build one for your needs. good luck on best price

Full Intensity is offline Anabolic Member
    if ur gonna buy a laptop go with dell, I have an IBM right now and Dell is a way better buy ... If u wanna spend the buck and get a multimedia video crunching machine get a top of the line apple iBook

I want the one that impresses the most.

Oh and im not all natural but shh

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Ok fukit, how much do you want to spend?

No more then 2k actually. Does that limit me alot?

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Ok man, go to dell and order the dell Inspiron 8500. It comes with 2.4 p4 and you can upgrade it to 2.6 if you wish. Up grade the video card to the 64mb ddr NVIDIA GeForce4 4200 (extra 99 bux and well worth it). Buy it online and it comes with a ton of free shit. Free DVD/CD burner, 250 bux off, and 512 ram. Thats a really good deal if you ask me.Oh, and it has a 15.4" screen!! I have a toshiba satellite and would dump it in a second for that dell. heres the link.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/produc...inspn_8500.htm

ripped4fsu is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FKITLETSGO
    No more then 2k actually. Does that limit me alot?
    I just got the new Dell D600 with the centrino chip, and I LOVE it!

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Intensity
    if ur gonna buy a laptop go with dell, I have an IBM right now and Dell is a way better buy ... If u wanna spend the buck and get a multimedia video crunching machine get a top of the line apple iBook
    This is where you're wrong. (No offense). If you want a top of the line multimedia-crunching-all-out-gaming-doing-whatever-the-hell-you-want-machine, you're gonna have to go with this :

www.alienware.com

I'm about to buy one soon enough. Badass machines. Great look too cause you can choose different colors.

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Whatever you do, don't buy a Toshiba Satellite. My mom has one and it's about 2 months old, freezes and crashes all the time. What a piece of shit

TheChosen1 is offline Member
    Well if you're looking to shop around for a good laptop,
    check out www.tigerdirect.com or www.outpost.com.

But in my personal opinion, I don't care if it's a Dell, Sony, or Tandy.......A lap dance is much better than a laptop.....LOL
    Last edited by TheChosen1; 07-04-2003 at 05:31 PM.

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    If you into Media then go with a Mac but for general net surfing with some basic medai capabilities than go with a HP or Sony Viao. Hp would be my first choice and the sony viao would come in 2nd. It all really depends on what you want to do. For 2k your being very basic. If you want to go with a media machine than go the route of a Mac. any powerbook or ibook will do but the titanium g4 p-books would be the way to go. they new ones have a 17" monitor and come equip. with blue toooth technology and a super drive which will burn dvd's, and all form of cd's plus it comes equiped ready for airport wireless and a 10/100 base nic. check out apple's web site for their powerbooks.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

956Vette is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    I have had good luck with Dell. I have had my dell laptop for over two years now w/ no problems. I paid around $1800 back then, so im sure you can get a bad ass one for around $1500. Good luck bro

Full Intensity is offline Anabolic Member
    okay KEY u've got me there with Alienware mofo

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Alienware is good but it's too much money. Fukit wants to spend around 2k and the dell is the best bang for the buck. Also he said he doesn't know to much about computers so the dell support would be kinda nice.The dell Inspiron 8500 is bad ass! I don't think you could find anything better/faster under 2k.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    You'll want to compare how the mouse works on the laptops you consider. Some of the earlier IBM's had a funny little pencil-eraser type gizmo that you put your finger on and sort of bent one way or another to move the cursor. Odd, but it worked ok. My Compaq laptop has a little ball on the right front top corner, and your thumb sits on top of it, and your index finger clicks the mouse switches that are on the right side. Works real well for me, but a friend who's left handed tried it, and it didn't work too well for him.
    There are other schemes for the mouse button, I'd recommend testing out a few and see what seems to work for you.

im looking at the alienware extreme currently giv some more inputs on this pc if you have any knowledge.

RON
    Alienware is bad ass but its way over priced for what you get. If money ain't a thing then thats your machine.
    Last edited by RON; 07-05-2003 at 12:26 PM.

solarisdude45 is offline Junior Member
    My company has over 14,000 Dell Workstations and about ~500+ Dell Laptops. I work in a IT organization in my company and though I don't service laptops, several Desktop Techs feel Dell is a good product and has fewer hardware issues than most. Personally, I have a Dell 8250 system at home. The only advice I would give you is this: If you pick a Dell with a REBATE then be careful !!!!!

Dell is SSSLLLLOOOOWWWWW is mailing out rebate checks and IF you do received it then it is because you have sent several, several Emails to the company and refaxed the same information you mailed in the first time. Notice I didn't say "CALL" because Dell doesn't talk to customers about rebates, they refer you to rebatestatus.com.

Good luck, I wish you well in your endeavor to upgrade your computer system and I would certainly take my time to check out your options.

Take Care,

Quote Originally Posted by FKITLETSGO
    im looking at the alienware extreme currently giv some more inputs on this pc if you have any knowledge.

ichiban is offline Female Member
    Alienware is awesome, but I would not get it unless you are into high- graphics games. Go with Dell, I have always had Dell systems and laptops. You will get an awesome deal right now on anything, and they have great tech and support. They love to make their customers happy.

redrock is offline Member
    I have a Dell Inspiron 8200. I liked it except, my dumbass got Windows ME instead of waiting for XP, so I had to install Win 2000 Pro, that voided out my warrenty and it ran shitty from then on out. I now have a Dimension 8300 2.6g P4, DVD+RW, 512 ram all that shit.
    Dell is a good product. Haggle them on the phone, the can help you out on the price, I did. REDROCK

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    In my opinion, alienware is only "for you" if you're really pushing the limits of today's current technology and applications. Unless you plan on using the device to simultaneously edit film clips, play music, have IM running, download movies, have a PC game running and a whole lot of other shit, I'm of the opinion that you're not even touching on the attributes that you paid for over and above the cost of a dell, sony, HP, etc.

The unit I would suggest is the Sony "truly mobile" V505BX. It comes with not only network capabilities already installed, but wireless network capabilities as well, so there's no need to search or install a wireless network card (and many schools now utilize wireless networks on campus). Additionally, its processor is intentionally designed to recognize when the unit is running off battery or outlet power and "act" accordingly. Thus, the thing really has two processors in a way, one that optimizes performance while hardlined to power, and another that efficiently conserves "wasted" performance while conserving battery power. With the battery, the thing still comes in well under 5lbs...and I think even under 4.5. It's about as thick as an issue of cosmo or something, so, like I said, the thing is truly portable in every sense of the word. However, if you're planning on using it more as a desktop with only the occassional need to go portable, you'd be paying for too many features you won't ever take advantage of.

RON
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGreen
    In my opinion, alienware is only "for you" if you're really pushing the limits of today's current technology and applications.
    If your pushing the limits you have to go apple IMO. Even with the highest end pc's, high end animation software is limited. I tried to run Maya (the stuff the use at Dreamworks) and 3d max at the same time on Pc and it sucked ass. However, for personal use pc is much more compatible with everyday life.

....If it were strictly for school I would get an Apple.

....If your gonna get it to mess around with Dell all the way.

....If you have money to blow and you want the coolest then alienware.

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Apple will bow it's head to PC any day.

Quote Originally Posted by RON
    If your pushing the limits you have to go apple IMO. Even with the highest end pc's, high end animation software is limited. I tried to run Maya (the stuff the use at Dreamworks) and 3d max at the same time on Pc and it sucked ass. However, for personal use pc is much more compatible with everyday life.

....If it were strictly for school I would get an Apple.

....If your gonna get it to mess around with Dell all the way.

....If you have money to blow and you want the coolest then alienware.
    i am glad we have some MAC supporters!!

If ou want to run sound or grafix programs at its best than the mac is the way to go. It is a industry standard!! professionals use mac!!

If you want net surfing machine than go PC with the dell,sony or HP

alienware is a very nice system but only if your a gaming freak with nothing to do,--j/k
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by LORDBLiTZ
    Please
    abstrack@protonmail.com

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by abstrack
    Please
    Well how come the fastest comp in the world is made by intel?

RON

Strictly for home use I would never buy a Mac. That is simply because it is easier to find everything pc compatible (thanks to Bill Gates). Some software is just not made for apples.

As far as pure power Pcs just can't keep up. That is why Apple is the standard for any business involving graphics, post production, audio, or animation..

Well how come the fastest comp in the world is made by intel?

Intel does not make PC's, they make processor chips. But to answer your question the Intel chips or the AMD chips are not faster than the Motarola chips
    abstrack@protonmail.com

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Well NASA will only use INTEL chips so that has to tell you something.

Well NASA will only use INTEL chips so that has to tell you something.

You have toi think about all the circulstances
    1> Bill Gates and his power and how much he deals with the government.
    2> NASA does not deal in high end graphic applications or audio formats
    3> Mac's have their "niche" of the market they have their place and they do it well.
    4>compatability
    5>applications

I am not saying that Intel or AMD or any of theother manufactures dont make good processors, but if you want to do something in the visual or audio field than Mac is the way to go. No bowing down to PC's, it is fact!! rather you believe it or not.

abstrack@protonmail.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information