Strut99GT is offline Member

GRRR!!! My Gold's Gym is closed, permanently!!!

So, last week, my gym closed. There was a sign on the door that said "closed for tax evasion." However, the people that I was able to contact about the situation were adamant about the fact that the gym was opening back up "in a few days." Well, apparently there was a news story on this morning (I didn't see it, because I don't watch TV) where they talked about how the gym was closed *permanently* and when they are going to be auctioning off the equipment. I'm really glad as the consumer that I got to find out like this. Of course, I have already been charged for dues this month. So...pissed...off!!!

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    I lost my Golds a long time ago. They got bought by some crappy GQ wannabe gym. Its tough on a work out to loose your gym bro. I created my own gym in my garage for me now and I like it. Its never gonna get closed down.

Now on a positive note pick me up a leg sled at the auction. I need one of those soo bad.

Just called my credit card company to get them to remove the charge for this month.

I wish I had a house and could make my own gym! That would be nice. I'll put that on the "to do" list for when I leave my apartment.

TheChosen1 is offline Member

Strut99

I've been there too often, bro.

New Orleans & Metairie, Louisiana cannot keep any Gold's Gyms open for more than 3 years. I first joined a Gold's Gym in Aug., 1985. They closed down in 1987 and I went to a family owned small gym. While talking to another former Gold's member one day, he told me that another Gold's was opening soon. I went to the new location and what do you know? It was owned by another Gold's member from the 1st gym and we knew each other. We talked and before long, I joined him and a group of other members to help build the gym. A few months later, Gold's was open and it was the best looking gym New Orleans ever had. 3 years later, it burned to the ground from an alledged electrical fire. Most of us, myself included, found it strange because:
    A) The owner and manager were not in town at the time,
    B) No one was in the locker room (where the fire started) at the time of the fire and that was ALWAYS a popular area because the cardio section was upstairs from the locker room.
    C) The manager had a $3000 parrot that was always flying around the gym but the bird was not there on the day of the fire.

The owner sent us all postcards telling us that we were going to rebuild but it never happened.

Another Gold's Gym opened in Metairie, La. and it was the 2nd best looking gym. I was introduced to the gym by my, then, personal trainer and former member of both previous Gold's Gym. In fact, he and I worked at the previous Gold's Gym during its construction. Well, the gym was owned by the former quarterback of the New Orleans Saints, Archie Manning. In about 3 years, the gym changed ownership. One Sunday, I went to the gym and tried to train despite feeling sluggish. Well, the training went bad so I figured that I'll just finish off my workout with some abs work and then make it up the next day. While I was resting between sets of crunches, I noticed a couple of employees grabbing shit off of the shelves and leaving the gym without paying for them. At first, I thought nothing of it but then noticed that they were like grabbing shitloads of shirts and entire workout suits. I went to the gym bright and early the next day and feeling better and ready for a grueling workout. Except when I approached the door, there was a sign on the door that said, "CLOSED 4 EVER". It pissed me off. No fucking notice and no fucking warning.

You did right, Strut99. The first thing I did was to cancel my automatic withdrawal from my bank account. Fortunately, I did it in time because the teller told me that the company who handled the gym's account tried to withdrawal the fees the previous day but the bank didn't let go through since it was Sunday.

I went to another gym that used to be owned by Manning and worked out there for a little over a year. In January, 1996, the new owner changed the name to Powerhouse Gym but it also closed down in about a year after the name change. From there, I trained at World Gym until I left New Orleans in 1999.
    Last edited by TheChosen1; 07-09-2003 at 07:38 PM.

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Strut99GT
    So, last week, my gym closed. There was a sign on the door that said "closed for tax evasion." However, the people that I was able to contact about the situation were adamant about the fact that the gym was opening back up "in a few days." Well, apparently there was a news story on this morning (I didn't see it, because I don't watch TV) where they talked about how the gym was closed *permanently* and when they are going to be auctioning off the equipment. I'm really glad as the consumer that I got to find out like this. Of course, I have already been charged for dues this month. So...pissed...off!!!
    bahahahaha, now me getting stronger than you is inevitable and sure to come a lot quicker!

both my gyms are alive and kickin...i switch between gold's and the school gym...but i'm considering cancelling gold's since the school one is free ya know.

hehe anyways, that blows, A...sorry. what are you going to do, cuz i know that pathetic excuse of a gym at your complex aint gunna cut it...=P

-- C

Yung Wun is offline Member
    sorry to hear that brotha, my condolences.
    if my golds closed down the closes thing i've got is a high class fancy gym and the local Y.

poppapump58 is offline Member
    Gold's Gym can suck a dick. I cancelled my membership with them for about 6 months now and I couldnt understand why my checking account kept on bouncin. I finally got a bank statement and they had been taking 30 bucks out every month even know I cancelled. I am $300 bucks in the hole (with bounced checks) and everytime I call up there to talk about what happend they put me on hold and they never get back to me. I am not the only one this has happend to either. This happend to one of my buddies too.

Quote Originally Posted by poppapump58
    Gold's Gym can suck a dick. I cancelled my membership with them for about 6 months now and I couldnt understand why my checking account kept on bouncin. I finally got a bank statement and they had been taking 30 bucks out every month even know I cancelled. I am $300 bucks in the hole (with bounced checks) and everytime I call up there to talk about what happend they put me on hold and they never get back to me. I am not the only one this has happend to either. This happend to one of my buddies too.

Bro, if you have some kind of written statements to prove your cancellation, you should be able to dispute those withdrawals.

It's possible that you still can dispute them without such documents. Get that money put back into your bank account and have the bank go after their asses for the money.

Last alternative.......Sue them for all of what you're out, including bank fees and overdrawn fees.

poppapump58 is offline Member
    I already talk to my bank and they stopped payment to Gold's. I have documentation and when I went up there to show them they said they couldnt do anything. They gave me a phone number to call and everytime I call they put me on hold for ever so I hang up. Im going to take them to small claims court if they keep toying with me.

Yung Wun is offline Member
    thats just bad service, i heard that same story before. prolly the same golds too.
    poppapump take those bastards 2 court, but on the other hand from my own experience at my golds i'm getting a free pass. they havent taken nothing outta my account for a year now and i'm still at there gym for free. i think u need to come to my golds

Quote Originally Posted by poppapump58
    I already talk to my bank and they stopped payment to Gold's. I have documentation and when I went up there to show them they said they couldnt do anything. They gave me a phone number to call and everytime I call they put me on hold for ever so I hang up. Im going to take them to small claims court if they keep toying with me.

I had that problem with a bank once too, bro. Fuck calling them. Go to the bank, when they attempt to give you that 800 number, tell them that they're not helping. All they do is avoid you. So you want to see someone in person PRONTO. I'm sure that someone will be able to handle that matter in person. Trust me, bro. If you're as big as I am from pumping, they don't WANT TO piss you off.

Phew, this whole thing is really annoying. What's making it worse now is that supposedly they are going to open again "in a few days." Guess how many days they've been saying that? I'm pretty sure no matter how it turns out with them, I'm going to join the Rec facility for my work, which is freakin' massive, and since I'm an employee, it's dirt cheap.

sedrickh123 is offline New Member
    And wouldn't you know. Golds gym is back the New Orleans area. Actually two with three more on the way. Let's see if they can last more than three years.

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by sedrickh123 View Post
    And wouldn't you know. Golds gym is back the New Orleans area. Actually two with three more on the way. Let's see if they can last more than three years.
    This thread is 11 years old.

Cuz
    Cuz is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by sedrickh123 View Post
    Post of the day. Wait..best first post!!!

Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!

Remington is offline Alligator
    Best bump E V E R

Shol'va is offline Productive Member
    This is a hoot its been a while since this happened. give um hell harrys...

Thread Information