Tapout is offline Senior Member

how many people here cross train in 2 sports

i have been weight training for 16 years and doing jiu jitsu for 6 years.
    i have noticed that when i train jiu jitsu harder than i lose some size making my bjj training better. but when i cut back on bjj training my size increases which hurts my jiu jitsu

i dont know if its from overtraining or from mental dedication to one sport over the other at that time, but i do notice the difference.

how many people here do more than weight training and how does it effect you---weight training make you do better in other sport or does other sport hurt your weight training?

Strut99GT is offline Member
    I play lots of tennis, and am an NTRP 5.0 player if y'all know what that means. The more tennis I play, the worse my weightlifting is, big-time. So during the summer when the tennis increases, the lifting results tend to get pretty bad. It is not mental at all, it's overexertion.

wrstlr69sdnl is offline Senior Member
    I use to wrestle try to powerlift and do judo at the same I noticed I lost some mass when I did that but started getting cut I wasnt that good at powerlifting then because I would always be sore from wrestling and judo becasue once judo was over I went to judo practice but once the season is over I gain it back earlyer

mammoth is offline Member
    Originally posted by Strut99GT
    I play lots of tennis, and am an NTRP 5.0 player if y'all know what that means. The more tennis I play, the worse my weightlifting is, big-time. So during the summer when the tennis increases, the lifting results tend to get pretty bad. It is not mental at all, it's overexertion.
    I would hate to play you on the court. I am only a 4.0 player. I am pushing for 4.5 but I lack spin control.

I would have to say that I don't think that my weightlifting affects my tennis or vice versa. Of course I only play once a week. If anything I think it helps control my weight some. I have a tendency to stray from my diet on the weekends, and I think that playing tennis on the weekends helps reduce the affects from straying. I also sleep like a baby after a long match!

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    I kickbox and weight train/body build. I find if when I increase my cardio for a fight my strenght goes up due (I think) to my muscles using their oxygen supply more effeciently (**sp'ing). My problem in a small country like Ireland is finding sparring partners and fighters my own size and weight catagory. I'm 6'2'' at 252lbs. My coach wants me to drop to 210 or lighter but I can't maintain that weight. With muscle memory as soon as I left heavy again my weight goes back up very quickly. I can gain muscle mass rapidly, which doesn't suit my kickboxing. A friend started BJJ last year and has cut up rapidly. We lift and diet together so we put it down to the BJJ training which he finds tremendous.
    "A jack of all trades and master of none" I guess you could call us here Tapout.

ripped4fsu is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm an "A" racquetball player,
    used to box,, now I just work the heavy and speed bags,
    I also mountain bike...

bouncer you got the right idea though bro
    now a days you have to be well rounded in fighting espically if going to compete.
    since the ufcs everyone is trying to learn to grapple but alot has forgoten about hands and standup. jiu jitsu is great 1 on 1 but in a bar or when they have friends you got to know how to throw hands.

i also have the same problem with size--i usually only have 1 to 3 fights because of my weight class---i got down to 219(i'm 5-10 though) and that was hard and keeping at that weight is tough espically since i am lifting again

vasthestampede is offline New Member

2 sports

does powerliftin and bodybuildin count???
    if so thats me

Tapout, Yes for bar work having good hands is second to none. But if your a grappler too your going to be a great bar room fighter. I've been working in bars and night clubs 12 years now and remember reading a few years back that the vast majority of street fights are won and lost in the first 3 seconds, at first I laughed at the idea, but with hindsight I'd have to agree fully with it. Since almost all street fights go to ground (all things being equal) if your the one with good, fast and accurate hands your most likely going to win. But as you know, when it goes to the ground we're all equal and thats when grappling comes into its own. I've done alot of grappling over the years, but have never had expert tuition. The other thing people don't appricate about grappling in a bar room, people are not sickened by it, the other patrons don't see you slamming a fist into someone's face so it looks clean and professional and less likely to draw a crowd of people wanting to go witness against you when the police arrive. There's nothing uglier than another human smashing up his fellow man in a street fight, I've been around probably hundreds of fights and can understand why people go witness against the winner (usually the bouncer).
    So yeah BJJ or another MMA is the way to go and definitely the future.

Bouncer

Strut99GT is offline Member
    I would hate to play you on the court. I am only a 4.0 player. I am pushing for 4.5 but I lack spin control.

I would have to say that I don't think that my weightlifting affects my tennis or vice versa. Of course I only play once a week. If anything I think it helps control my weight some. I have a tendency to stray from my diet on the weekends, and I think that playing tennis on the weekends helps reduce the affects from straying. I also sleep like a baby after a long match!
    Well, the lifting will affect your tennis eventually if you keep progressing in both, unfortunately. You know the massive soreness you get in your tris after working them out? Try serving with that soreness. This could also be applied to legs and basically every other muscle group. One stroke in tennis recruits a number of different muscles, all of which make for a difficult time if they are sore.

good point bouncer
    if in fight and arm bar someone--you can be breaking their shit and being very mean but at the same time telling them to calm down and that you are only "holding" them for the people watching

Quote Originally Posted by Tapout
    good point bouncer
    if in fight and arm bar someone--you can be breaking their shit and being very mean but at the same time telling them to calm down and that you are only "holding" them for the people watching
    yeah thats funny, or quietly telling someone if they continue to struggle their going to sleep is the killer. I laugh at them when they piss themselves after a chokeout. Shit I could go on, but at the risk of bragging I won't.

thats funny---- i've seen that too bro
    they say what happened you say you fell and passed out

HeartDocMD is offline AR Medical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by Strut99GT
    One of my close college friends was NTRP 6.0. He went to college for tennis, and was an unbelievable player! He got a full ride too, and the school even bought him a special bed for his room because he was 6'6'' and requested some special immenities if he were to attend the college... (keep in mind this was a top ivy league school, and he was a 3.0 student in highschool with a 1050 or so on his sat's!)

sharky is offline Associate Member
    Yeah Bro, I Also Play Semi-pro Football And When In Season I Tend To Lean Out. Not A Bad Thing But When Looking For Size It Kinda Pisses You Off. There Is No Way Around It. To Get Bigger You Have To Only Lift,eat Rest. By The Way ,the First Way Out Of The Ring In Bjj Should Be Tap Out.

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouncer AKA bouncer
    yeah thats funny, or quietly telling someone if they continue to struggle their going to sleep is the killer. I laugh at them when they piss themselves after a chokeout. Shit I could go on, but at the risk of bragging I won't.
    Is pissing yourself a comon reflex when you pass out? Ive never seen someone piss there pants after being knocked out.
    And please go on with the stories

yea sharky tapout should be first but more dramatic this way

palme yea people piss themselves and some shit themselves when get knocked out

Thread Information