Thread: The Beatles

jarrett is offline Senior Member

The Beatles

I know im gunna get bashed by the older guys and gals ong the board.

Anyways me and my best buddy. got in a huge argument cause i didnt like the beatles.

says im ignorant cause i dont like these musical geniues (spelling)
    he claims they were the best band in the world that they made so much damn money, so much money they didnt even tour that much cause they were so big.

I disagreed with him that the main reason they didnt tour was for political reasons cause they were so anti war during the vietnam war.

anyways im jsut bitching cause i jsut about knocked his block off for him starting a fight cause i dont care for the beatles

btw
    Im more into music i can dance to and music that motivates me.
    not no bullshit hippy music

956Vette is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jarrett
    Im more into music i can dance to and music that motivates me.
    not no bullshit hippy music

I agree! Especially with the hippie comment.

I am not saying anything in regards to their musical talent/etc, i also just cant get into that style....

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    Well, in my musical opinion, the Beatles were simply an earlier version of N'Sync, Backstreet Boys, etc. Lennon, however, went on to become a musician in the truest sense of that word. By the way, if your friend relies on record sales and revenue as an indicator of quality, then he is forced to concede Mariah Carey's, New Kids on the Block and N'Sync's musical superiority to not only the Beatles, but scores of other high quality bands and musicians.

ichiban is offline Female Member
    Well, in my musical opinion, the Beatles were simply an earlier version of N'Sync, Backstreet Boys, etc. Lennon, however, went on to become a musician in the truest sense of that word. By the way, if your friend relies on record sales and revenue as an indicator of quality, then he is forced to concede Mariah Carey's, New Kids on the Block and N'Sync's musical superiority to not only the Beatles, but scores of other high quality bands and musicians.---BigGreen

I agree with the big G on this.However, Lennon was not the only one to have their own solo sucsess. Have we all forgotten about Wings?

I think that there are too many closed minds when it comes to music.....Good music is good music no matter who is making it.

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ichiban

I think that there are too many closed minds when it comes to music.....Good music is good music no matter who is making it.
    This is very true, and I believe it works through multiple channels. On one side, there are individuals who automatically condemn anything and everything "popular" (the music snobs). These individuals would have you believe that the ONLY quality music being produced these days is either at the local level or on indie labels (ie, if you've heard it in San Fran AND Burlington, it can't be good cuz it's widespread now). On the other end of the spectrum, there are those who believe (and jarret's friend seems to be one) that if a musician or musical group does not attain widespread fame, or notoriety at the least, then that is the result of their lack of musical attributes. In between those two extremes is just a mess of criticism, theory and music that very much clouds and prohibits an open discussion of what constitutes "good" music....much like the state of literature today in many ways.

Needtobeswoledup is offline Associate Member
    I gotta agree, I can't stand the beatles... it does sound like nsync or backstreet boys ON SHROOMS, every1 is entitled to have their opinion though and who knows maybe when i'm my parents age(they like the beatles) i'll like nsync and backstreet and say they where wonderful musicians....

Quote Originally Posted by Needtobeswoledup
    I gotta agree, I can't stand the beatles... it does sound like nsync or backstreet boys ON SHROOMS, every1 is entitled to have their opinion though and who knows maybe when i'm my parents age(they like the beatles) i'll like nsync and backstreet and say they where wonderful musicians....

as OZZY would say it WHO ARE THE FUCKING BEATLES?

markas214 is offline Senior Member
    The Beatles stopped touring because of the screaming fans and circus atmosphere. The crowd would scream so loud it would drown out their music. Love or hate the Beatles but they were unique in their day and influenced thousands of artists since. I am a guitar player and enjoy their music. What you hear played on the radio is such a small part of their music. Try listening to the White Album and some others from the late 60s. They were very creative and did some songs that were way ahead of the times. Bullshit Hippie music was created by some true musical geniuses. Most of todays dance music is often computer generated, sampled and processed as hell. I will not say the people who create todays music are less talented than the musicians of the 60s and 70s. It's just a different genre. On the other hand you have Britney Spears, the Backstreet Boys, Nsync who were created by intense marketing for the sole purpose of making money> The are not artists but simply puppets with record co. execs pulling the strings. Keep this in mind, almost 40 years have past and The Beatles, Stones, The Who, CCR, Hendricks, The Doors and on and on are still being played daily on the radio. Do you think Britney or any of todays dance music will be played in 40 years? Anyone hear The Spice Girls or New Kids on the Block lately? Of course not. The were simply marketing fads whose hype could not prevent their demise because their talent wasn't that spectacular..

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    I'm with ya on this one can't stand the Beatles myself.

Biggreen, you also left out Vanila Ice, and MC Hammer as far as record sales go and I think we can all agree that neither of these two were musical genius'.

xxxl83

Quote Originally Posted by markas214
    The Beatles stopped touring because of the screaming fans and circus atmosphere. The crowd would scream so loud it would drown out their music. Love or hate the Beatles but they were unique in their day and influenced thousands of artists since. I am a guitar player and enjoy their music. What you hear played on the radio is such a small part of their music. Try listening to the White Album and some others from the late 60s. They were very creative and did some songs that were way ahead of the times. Bullshit Hippie music was created by some true musical geniuses. Most of todays dance music is often computer generated, sampled and processed as hell. I will not say the people who create todays music are less talented than the musicians of the 60s and 70s. It's just a different genre. On the other hand you have Britney Spears, the Backstreet Boys, Nsync who were created by intense marketing for the sole purpose of making money> The are not artists but simply puppets with record co. execs pulling the strings. Keep this in mind, almost 40 years have past and The Beatles, Stones, The Who, CCR, Hendricks, The Doors and on and on are still being played daily on the radio. Do you think Britney or any of todays dance music will be played in 40 years? Anyone hear The Spice Girls or New Kids on the Block lately? Of course not. The were simply marketing fads whose hype could not prevent their demise because their talent wasn't that spectacular..
    bro i have every album made by the beatles so you know i have 100gigs worth of mp3's on my computer

Thread Information