• 1 Post By marcus300
  • 2 Post By MuscleScience
  • 1 Post By RaginCajun
  • 1 Post By RaginCajun

Thread: JFK assassination: Thousands of files released

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~

JFK assassination: Thousands of files released

JFK assassination: Thousands of files released - BBC News

The US government has released 2,800 previously classified files on the assassination of President John F Kennedy in 1963.

President Donald Trump said the public deserved to be "fully informed" about the event, which has been the subject of various conspiracy theories.

But some documents have been withheld at the request of government agencies.

One memo revealed that the FBI had warned police of a death threat against the assassin Lee Harvey Oswald.

"We at once notified the chief of police and he assured us Oswald would be given sufficient protection", writes the FBI director J Edgar Hoover.

Oswald was shot dead in the basement of the Dallas Police department two days after President Kennedy was killed.

As the documents are pored over and analysed, other findings include a 1964 FBI memo in which Cuban exiles debate how much an assassination of Fidel Castro would be worth. "The $150,000 to assassinate Fidel Castro plus $5,000 expense money was too high," it says.

Another memo showed that Soviet officials feared an "irresponsible general" would launch a missile at the USSR in the wake of President Kennedy's death.

A 1992 law passed by Congress required all records related to the assassination of President Kennedy - around five million pages - to be publicly disclosed in full within 25 years.

The deadline was Thursday.

More than 90% of the files were already in the public domain.

Allegations of a government cover-up are unlikely to be assuaged by reports that the CIA, FBI, Department of State and other agencies lobbied at the last minute to keep certain documents under wraps.

JFK assassination: Questions that won't go away

In a memo directing heads of executive departments to release the files, Mr Trump said the American public deserves to be "fully informed about all aspects of this pivotal event".

"Therefore, I am ordering today that the veil finally be lifted," the president wrote.

Some redacted documents are undergoing a further six-month review, but it is possible those records could stay secret after the deadline on 26 April next year.

The president, according to White House officials, was reluctant to agree to agency requests to hold the remaining documents.

"I have no choice - today - but to accept those redactions rather than allow potentially irreversible harm to our Nation's security," Mr Trump added in his memo.

The records are being released on the National Archives website

What happened?

President Kennedy was shot dead on 22 November 1963 as he travelled through Dallas in an open-topped limousine.

Texas Governor John Connally, who was sitting in front of the president, was wounded. Police officer JD Tippit was killed shortly afterwards.

Lee Harvey Oswald was arrested and charged with killing Kennedy and Tippit, but he denied this, saying he was "just a patsy".

On 24 November, Oswald was shot dead in the basement of the Dallas police department by Jack Ruby, a local nightclub owner.

What was the official explanation?

The Warren Commission's report, published in September 1964, said that Lee Harvey Oswald had fired the fatal shots from the Texas School Book Depository building.

There was "no evidence that either Lee Harvey Oswald or Jack Ruby was part of any conspiracy, domestic or foreign", the commission said.

A 1979 investigation by the House Select Committee on Assassinations said there was a "high probability" that there had been two gunmen.

Who was Lee Harvey Oswald?

A former Marine and self-proclaimed Marxist, he travelled to the Soviet Union in 1959 and lived there until 1962.

He worked in Minsk in a radio and TV factory and met his wife in the city.

The Warren Commission found that he visited the Cuban and Russian embassies in Mexico City two months before Kennedy was shot.

What other theories are there?

Some people suggest there may have been a second shooter, while others say it is more likely the fatal shot came from in front of Kennedy and not behind.

A paraffin test on Oswald's cheek after he was arrested suggested he hadn't fired a rifle, although the test's reliability has been questioned.

Mr Connally has said he was not hit by the same bullet as Kennedy, contradicting the Warren Commission's findings.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    I really hope they release the entire truth about this. Very interesting but the some of the information relating to this just doesn't ring true with me.
    marcus300 likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    I really hope they release the entire truth about this. Very interesting but the some of the information relating to this just doesn't ring true with me.
    The problem is will they release everything even if the files show injustice
    almostgone likes this.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus300 View Post
    The problem is will they release everything even if the files show injustice
    They won’t, to many powerful people were involved. Although most of them are long dead now. Imagine the utter chaos if that happened today in this social media frenzied world.
    marcus300 and almostgone like this.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    They won’t, to many powerful people were involved. Although most of them are long dead now. Imagine the utter chaos if that happened today in this social media frenzied world.
    If Trump has the power to disclose (not sure if he would or not) and it shows powerful people/departments being involved it will put in question everything what happens to this day. So I can't see anything what could cause chaos being leaked but you never know with Trump!
    almostgone likes this.

Blog Entries
    Nothing that will be damning will be released. If there was anything in there, it would be redacted and called “classified,” by some higher up intelligence official.
    marcus300 and almostgone like this.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

BG

OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

Tips For Young Lifters

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    I still think just Lee Harvey Oswald did it, but he did not act alone. He definitely had some help. Maybe his own little militia or anti-JFK crew that was military trained.

I will have to thumb through and read some of the newer stuff when I get some time.
    marcus300 likes this.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Also think Carlos Marcellos had something to do with it. Look him up, met him when I was a kid with my bud.
    marcus300 likes this.

Blog Entries
    Some interesting evidence about LBJ being in the KKK, which everyone already knows. I’ve seen some things that are going to stir the pot already. As people get through more of it should be all kinds of good stuff coming out.

BG

OB

BG

Tips For Young Lifters

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Did JFK's daughter get some type of pre release information????

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat View Post
    Did JFK's daughter get some type of pre release information????
    Yes and no, this was a court mandate and the Government had until Thursday to release all documents. The approximate date was know for 25 years.

BG

OB

BG

Tips For Young Lifters

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    No one but the people involved really know wat happened and they ain't talking much like Hoffa.

calgarian is offline ANALbolically inclined "Protein user"
    Quote Originally Posted by songdog View Post
    No one but the people involved really know wat happened and they ain't talking much like Hoffa.
    i thought you were there when it happened....yes I am calling you old.

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    https://youtu.be/vC8abMHddv0
    Behind the scenes video.

David LoPan is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    I personally used to think it was a plot to kill JFK. I have been to Dallas several times and looked where he was shot.

I think now the "cover-up" was due to the fact that the George Hickey, a Secret Service riding in the follow car shot him as well. That would explain the smell of gunpowder reported by people in the car. And it would also explain why the government still wants to keep a lid on it.

All things considered, the Secret Service really messed up that day.

Thread Information