dizzle is offline Respected Member

What should I get for my new car?

I traded in my Durango and I just bought a Lexus GS. It came with a Premium Sound system and 17" Chrome Sport Wheels, but that doens't cut it for me.

1) $2000 Sound System
    In Dash DVD, LCD Screen. New speakers, subwoofer and Amp.

Or

2) $2800 20" Chrome Wheels w/ tires.

I only have enough to buy one right now, and the other one in a few months. I'm a huge fan of both things. Just wondering what you guys would want first.

jarrett is offline Senior Member
    depends on what you would want to get stolen first?? lol j/k

bro those lexus are nice but those stock rims are just gross. i'd go with the rims for now.

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    I'd go with the rims for the sole reason that I can't imagine any product having the buyer's remorse factor of a vehicle DVD system without kids (I don't recall you ever mentioning kids). I had a friend get his truck set up with not only the dvd set up, but the PS2 as well. About a month after he got it he told me he must have been one dumb bastard for not realizing that he had basically just bought a gift for all his passengers. He rarely got to use it though we used it quite a bit.

BimBamBoom is offline Associate Member
    Well since it's FOR YOU, I'd go with number one. #2 is just to be flashy, but you'll get to enjoy #1 more.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    I'm with BG on this one and go with #2. Why anyone would want a dvd player in their car is beyond me..... people say for road trips or for the kids. Well I say can't we live for 1 hour without the damn television, and to quit using the tv as a babysitter!!!!!

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    #1 - With great sound you will forget about the rims until you can afford the rims.

mammoth is offline Member
    3) $2000 - enough gear for 21" guns to hang out the window while cruising.

Seriously though! I would go with a new sound system, however I agree with BigTexan about the whole DVD thing. Get a head unit with mp3 capabilites and save the dough for components, sub, and amps. Just my .02 though!

956Vette is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    If its already got Premium sound and chrome rims, shouldnt you be set? Jk, i am the same way!

At first i would have said go with the sound, but since the factory Lexus stuff is already good, i would lean towards the rims...
    Good luck bro

nj juice is offline Member
    I think the stock Lexus radio isn't that bad, it would hold me over for a few months. In the meantime-- like fabolous said, can't never have a car riding on teenage rims, lol.

ripped4fsu is offline Anabolic Member
    My buddy has the same car, SWEET ride! You made a great choice.

If it were ME, I'd take care of myself first (interior), then worry about "the others" (exterior).
    So I say go with the sound system... with MP3 like Mammoth said.

Mr.gH is offline Associate Member
    Well i can speak from experience bro. I've got a dvd player and a ps2 in my truck. Worthless pretty much, cuz my friends can play tekken while i drive, but i cant do shit. I've got a supercharger and other engine mods. All worthless. I would trade it all for set of 22's. Rims are the best thing you can put on your car. Though to be honest id pick up some stolen ones for about a grand and call it a day.

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    Know what is trick. Go for the voice GPS. That is awesome. Tells you when to turn and such.

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    dubz are way too big for that car man. Get 18's and drop it 1 1/2"

Quote Originally Posted by LORDBLiTZ
    dubz are way too big for that car man. Get 18's and drop it 1 1/2"
    I don't think 18's will cut it. The 17s on there now look tiny. Here's a pic of 20s on my car.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What should I get for my new car?-gs20s.jpg  

Another pic of 20s and a mercedes grille
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What should I get for my new car?-gs20s2.jpg  

Mr.gH is offline Associate Member
    I rest my case. Dubs are the only way.

mfenske is offline Member
    I would say go for the sound system. To be honest I think your $2,000 budget is a little low for the things that you want. A good in-dash DVD player and screen combo will run you no less than $1,200. I would recommend a good CD player in the dash such as an Eclipse 8053, Pioneer DEH-P7500R, or Alpine 9813. Most of these decks are less than $400. Then I would invest in some high quality cabling for the amp of at least 2AWG in size. Try Streetwires, Phoenix Gold, Stinger, or Rockford Fosgate for some good cabling. Expect to spend about $250 to $300 for that. Next I would find a good four or five channel amp to run the front speakers and the subwoofer. I recommend the following models: Rockford Fosgate 851x, Viper 1100.5, Kicker KX800.4. I also recommend either completely disconnecting the rear speakers or just running them with the amplifier inside the head unit, because too much sound from the rear of the car will kill your imaging and soundstaging. Next up I would select a good pair of component speakers for the front. I recommend very highly the Boston Acoustics Pro Series 6.5 system. I would also find a good local installer to put these in custom hand-laid fiberglass kickpanel enclosures to maximize the sound quality that these speakers reproduce. Expect to pay about $350-400 for the speakers and about $200 or more for the enclosures. Moving on to the boom. This is where most people tend to get messed up. Many people make the mistake of thinking that the speaker with the biggest magnet or that has the highest power rating is the best. I would recommend a pair of 12" subwoofers, because they will give you plenty of sound, take up not too much room, and still sound good. Some to look at would be JL Audio 12W3 D4, Rockford Fosgate HE2 12", Infinity Perfect 12.1D, Image Dynamics IDQ12DVC, Boston Acoustics GS1200. Have your local dealer build you a good sealed enclosure and you're just about ready to rock. Now I am sure you have noticed that this will go over your $2K budget and it will. Also be sure to invest in a high quality security system BEFORE you get all this stuff. Sorry about the lengthy post, but this is an area where I have lots of knowledge and would like to help out. Thanks. Mark

Here are a few links:

www.kicker.com
    www.jlaudio.com
    www.rockfordfosgate.com
    www.dei.com
    www.pioneerelectronics.com
    www.alpine1.com
    www.infinitysystems.com
    www.bostonacoustics.com
    www.eclipse.web

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Ok ur right, the dubz look tight on there.

biggdude is offline Junior Member
    I thought this was a steroid forum.?!?

956Vette is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by biggdude
    I thought this was a steroid forum.?!?
    THIS forum is the lounge.

Just about anything goes here

biggdude is offline Junior Member
    Hey guys my bad... i got this confused with the other forums. Anyways.. car sounds tight

ECKO 747 is offline Associate Member
    Get the Dubs!!!!! The lexus already comes with a sweet system.... I would wait for the upgrade and get the 20s now

Devourer is offline Senior Member
    wheels are the only way to go in a cost effective manner. if any upgrades are cost effective that is. wheels you can almost always swap to your new ride. the stereo gets to be a little more difficult. i have a friend who just paid as much for his stereo as he did for the car. and its an IS300! it is a cool stereo though.

Outlaw_00 is offline New Member
    That's a hard choice, but I say go with the rims. Either way, you'll buy one and wish you had the other . That's what I always seem to do.

Thread Information