Thread: Martial arts

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer

Martial arts

This has probably been discused alot of times here already but Im to lasy to dig through all the olds threads

Im thinking about starting to train some martial art after I move. Going to train maby 2 sessions a week of it. I will train hard but I have no intentions of competing so it wont be to serious.
    So what martial art would be best suited for me? I want to train something that wont take me 10 years to become decently good at.
    And I want it to be something I can have a use of in real fights if I ever got into one.

The only experience I have so far is 2 years of greco roman wrestling and I liked it alot.
    What would be best of these ones??

Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    Goshindo
    Kickboxing
    Savate
    Shintai Jutsu
    Shootfighting
    Taekwondo
    Muy Thai
    Wing Tsun
    WKF Jujitsu
    Freestyle wrestling

Devourer is offline Senior Member
    jiu jitsu and krav maga? are supposed to be the best for street fights. i think!

Quote Originally Posted by hercules88
    he is right krav maga is an isreal police hand to hand tactics and i think it has great street application unlike other traditional forms of fighting. jui jitsu is also a good choice for street application. why do you want to learn? that might help you pick an art that is best suited for yourself.
    Wont be able to train Krav Maga unfortunaly

I want to train something fun, effective and without belt/grade bullshit. Would prefer something that combines effective grappling/takedowns/chokes and punches/kicks/knees/elbows. I guess Shootfigthing would be the best of the list I posted(the martia arts on the list are the only ones I will be able to train in the town Im moving to).

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Vart ska du flytta kompis?

I was looking for MMA in my town but we dont have it over here! No krav maga either...sucky country!

Quote Originally Posted by palme
    Vart ska du flytta kompis?

I was looking for MMA in my town but we dont have it over here! No krav maga either...sucky country!
    Linköping blire! 33 dagar kvar innan jag sticker

palme when you where into kickboxing, was it regular kickboxing or muy thai??

Thai bro.

Fan Uppsala är bättre, då kunde vi kura ihop

Quote Originally Posted by palme
    Thai bro.

Fan Uppsala är bättre, då kunde vi kura ihop
    Jo Men student bostadsköerna i uppsala lär ju vara ett helvete
    Bara att vi båda drar in till stockholm nångång och super skallen av oss

How long did it take to become decently good at it?

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Shoot or BJJ for the street. Muay Thai is a good fighting system also but you said you didn't want to compete so I don't see the point in Thai. And I think your going at martial Arts in the wrong attitude when you say you don't want to compete or do grading etc. If your not going to compete, and you don't want to grade where's your goals gonna be ?. If your planning on the street as a testing ground be prepared to get some nasty beatings, without the assistance of a referee!.

I know some people think its hardcore to say they don't want to grade, but their usually the one's talking about competing so your a little confusing. Also when you do join, if you decide never to grade one day when your refering to your fellow beginners as "Sensei" you'll rue your decision.

Muay Thai is an excellent fighting system, its fast and furious, great for a stand up street fight. But over 90% of street fights go to the ground, and thats where you want some grappling too.
    Really I think you should reaccess your goals and what you want out of a particular M.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Bouncer AKA bouncer
    Shoot or BJJ for the street. Muay Thai is a good fighting system also but you said you didn't want to compete so I don't see the point in Thai. And I think your going at martial Arts in the wrong attitude when you say you don't want to compete or do grading etc. If your not going to compete, and you don't want to grade where's your goals gonna be ?. If your planning on the street as a testing ground be prepared to get some nasty beatings, without the assistance of a referee!.

I know some people think its hardcore to say they don't want to grade, but their usually the one's talking about competing so your a little confusing. Also when you do join, if you decide never to grade one day when your refering to your fellow beginners as "Sensei" you'll rue your decision.

Muay Thai is an excellent fighting system, its fast and furious, great for a stand up street fight. But over 90% of street fights go to the ground, and thats where you want some grappling too.
    Really I think you should reaccess your goals and what you want out of a particular M.A.
    I dont want to grade in the sense that I think belts and such usualy seem to easy to get(I had a friend who very quickly advanced several belts in ju jutsi and still I could grapple him down easily) and I dont care at all for gaining a belt. Thats what I liked about wrestling. No belts, no grades just hardcore training.
    I have no intention either on street fighting, so far in my life I have never ever had to resort to violence and I plan to try and keep it like that.
    I guess my goals would be that I want to be decently good in a m.a just for my self confidence. I dont think I will compete because I feel that would interfer to much with my bodybuilding. But if I like a m.a alot its not impossible that I will compete. I competed in wrestling and cant say I enjoyed it much. got my ass handed to my everytime
    So I have nothing against grading, I just think its idiotic how my friends who trained ju jutsi always braged about what belt they just got while I still could take them down easily with the very poor wrestling skills I had.

FRANK WHITE is offline Senior Member

Jeet Kune Do

What about Jeet Kune Do? It was invented by a martial artist named Bruce Lee. Maybe you've heard of him. If you wan't a well rounded style which can handle any situation, go to a good Jeet Kune Do school if you can. As Bruce always said, "Jeet Kune Do favors formlessness so that it can assume all forms." In choosing a style the "critical distinction" is the ability to distinguish between techiniques that can be done on a cooperative opponent and those you can do on a raging lunatic who is bent on your destruction. Big difference there. Some techniques I have practiced can only be done if the person is standing there, letting you do the technique. Most attackers aren 't so kind. You should always practice the techniques which have been proven successful against a good opponent who is in motion. If you can use a series of practical techniques to stun the opponent, you can do any of the other techniques you like. You see, after you stun that guy he becomes cooperative. You can now lock, throw, sweep, or choke. Just remember the trick is to stun him in the first place. This is why you must practice your basics over and over again until they are second nature. You must practice them against against a person who is moving, not just against a statue. You must take it into the sparring realm so the other person is attacking you at the same time. Through this process you can achieve true confidence in yourself and in your art. No matter if you never intend to compete, don't be one of those martial artists who just "thinks" the art works. Train hard so that you can be a person who "knows" the art works because you have actually applied it a thousand times.

Speaking of Bruce Lee, i saw a documentry of him last night (btw long time frank!) anyway...you think he would be a good UFC fighter? Offcourse he would have included grappling into his arsenal. He must have had the fastest hands/feet ever!
    Even at 140lbs i think he would have done good.

OverDrive is offline Associate Member
    bro I've taken Muay Thai and loved it!!! I wasn't real serious about it, like you said I just wanted something that would come in hand on the street and give me a good cardio workout.

I take a few classes every now and then when time allows. They also teach a grappling class which will come in handy when the fight goes to the ground.

Good Luck!

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Sorry to hear about your friends experience's in gaining their belts easy, but I guess their learning now that that way brings them no respect from you or others and very little self resepct for their achievments either. As Frank suggested JKD is a functional art, but again it comes down to your instructors and the ethics of your dojo.
    I bet which ever art you take up you'll compete!. If your a bodybuilder you've already been down the road of setting and achieving your goals.
    Btw, you can mix both your BB'ing and martial arts, check out 'Tapout' and his recent posts. And where is the big guy in this thread?.

Unfortunaly I doubt there isa Jet kun do dojo in the town Im moving to. But if there is Il defenetly check it out. Thanks for the tip frank! Have you yourself trained it?

Bouncer your right about the instructor. My friends ju jutsi instructor was a lasy moron. Completely incompetent. Everyone stoped training when the realised just how bad he is.
    But my wrestling coach had once been ranked second in the world in his weightclass so he was a mean mutherfucker. Never have had as much respect for anyone as that guy. I hope I will be as lucky with the next instructor I get whatever m.a I pic.

Have to check Tapouts threads that you mentioned

groverman1 is offline Cross Dressing Member
    I studied aikido and it is pretty much useless in a real fight unless you have studied for a while I'd have to say Muay Thai and Brazilian ju- jitsu

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Why don't you just buy a gun?

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    As short as possible:
    Stay away from KEMPO.
    Stay away from Mui Thai. Who ever told you that is not even familiar with the art or they would have told you no also.
    Stay away from kickboxing
    TAKE brazilian JUJITSU. It consists of choke holds and a lot of take downs by grabbing the wrists or hands. You can learn a lot in a few months.
    Now for the long post.
    Mui Thai takes SEVERAL years to even start to become good. Mostly use of the femor, elbow palm. You need to develope your lats and lower legs to where you can break a 4x4 on them to even be considered effective in the sport.
    KEMPO is all based on a set pattern of moves to achieve your belt. Just learned movement.
    Kickboxing is good but you want quick and effective in a year right... Not practical in clubs or street fights unless you are quick and not in close range. Good for movies though.
    Krav Maga is good if you own the videos, have a lot of time to devote and also have an anotomical dummie or bag to practice with.
    I have my black belt in Jeet Kune do. I have never used a kick in any of my fights.
    Just learn the sleeper holds. Takes a month of practice and you will be good.
    That is my long ass post. BYE

FRANK WHITE is offline Senior Member

Jeet Kune Do

Quote Originally Posted by bermich
    As short as possible:
    Stay away from KEMPO.
    Stay away from Mui Thai. Who ever told you that is not even familiar with the art or they would have told you no also.
    Stay away from kickboxing
    TAKE brazilian JUJITSU. It consists of choke holds and a lot of take downs by grabbing the wrists or hands. You can learn a lot in a few months.
    Now for the long post.
    Mui Thai takes SEVERAL years to even start to become good. Mostly use of the femor, elbow palm. You need to develope your lats and lower legs to where you can break a 4x4 on them to even be considered effective in the sport.
    KEMPO is all based on a set pattern of moves to achieve your belt. Just learned movement.
    Kickboxing is good but you want quick and effective in a year right... Not practical in clubs or street fights unless you are quick and not in close range. Good for movies though.
    Krav Maga is good if you own the videos, have a lot of time to devote and also have an anotomical dummie or bag to practice with.

I have my black belt in Jeet Kune do. I have never used a kick in any of my fights.
    Just learn the sleeper holds. Takes a month of practice and you will be good.
    That is my long ass post. BYE
    Good post Bermich. Bouncer has a very good point. I'm biased towards JKD, but it would be much better to go to a high quality Kung Fu school than a second rate JKD one. It all depends on the quality and dedication of your instructor. For a brief time I had the opportunity, and I felt honor, to study with Dan Inasonto in Los Angeles. He owns a school there. A great JKD teacher. What a great atmosphere it was. Serious, dedicated students and teachers. I learned more in one month there than six months at a Taekwondo academy. Nothing against TKD, just wasn't the same caliber of school. Palme(Good to see you bro). And speaking of speed. Sifu Inasonto once had the fastest student in class give a demonstration on speed technigues. The guy was awesome. After he was done, Sifu Inasonto told us Bruce Lee was five times faster than this person. I couldn't believe it. Would Bruce have done good in Ultimate fighting? Yes! I heard this question before when I was at the school and most agreed that Bruce would have been like Roy Jones Jr. in boxing. Just to skilled and to fast for anyone to handle.

posterhunk is offline Junior Member
    WELL I LEARNED KARATE AT A YOUNG AGE. IT WAS FUN.

Thread Information