BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member

Sports History at the British Open

Did anyone actually watch this today? This rivals any sports moment in my lifetime (though it will soon be surpassed when the Red Sox win the world series this october) that I can recall. I was far too young to watch or even understand the US Hockey Team's "miracle on ice", a moment which probably surpasses this, though this guy (Ben Curtis), up until today, had his only win on the Hooters Tour (a notch below the best buy tour, go.com tour and nike tour) and became the first person to win his first go at a major championship in almost 100 years (91 i think??).

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Im still waiting for the SPORT history...if your talking about golf it should go under "hobby".

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by palme
    Im still waiting for the SPORT history...if your talking about golf it should go under "hobby".

I seriously thought he was talking about tennis.

I play golf. Its fun but not really a spectator sport IMO. I don't know how people watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by palme
    I'm having trouble thinking of a single hobby one is required (or even given the opportunity) to perform in front of thousands of people live and millions on television. So I'm not sure I classify it is a hobby, per se...though one can play golf as a hobby, in much the same manner that basketball or hockey can be a "hobby"

Furthermore, a working definition of the word "sport":

1. a)Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
    b)A particular form of this activity.

2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

I'll digress as soon as you can logically point out where championship golf deviates or otherwise fails to meet the criteria set forth by that definition.

Kato is offline Member
    Yup, it was cool...but T. Bjorn lost it in the bunker...Curtis did not win crap. But it was def cool!!!

Kato

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    Although I had not been born to witness or comprehend the full gravity of the miracle on ice. I have seen the videos and it brings chills to me...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sports History at the British Open-usa.jpg  

trimunex is offline Senior Member
    You're right BigGreen .. that was some pretty amazing shit. Two things that stand out to me are the facts that Curtis was something like 400th on the international money list .. AND how he stayed in it going up against a brutal course (especially the back nine) and the tough group of guys at the top of the leaderboard.

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by symatech
    Although I had not been born to witness or comprehend the full gravity of the miracle on ice. I have seen the videos and it brings chills to me...
    ...she was nice ...but not as nice as taking home Gold in both men and women's hockey.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sports History at the British Open-lg_canada_ap-01.jpg  

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sports History at the British Open-wh6-cp.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by trimunex
    You're right BigGreen .. that was some pretty amazing shit. Two things that stand out to me are the facts that Curtis was something like 400th on the international money list .. AND how he stayed in it going up against a brutal course (especially the back nine) and the tough group of guys at the top of the leaderboard.

Yeah, I recall being blown away (i mean, cinderella story is such an overused cliche) when they showed the leaderboard and world rankings...it looked something like this at one point:

Bjorn - 6
    Singh - 4
    Curtis - 413
    Woods - 1
    Garcia - 5

I think it was Curtis Strange at the end who said that if you took a story like this and tried to shop it around as a script for a golf movie, you'd be laughed out of every building in town for being cheesey.

flexgolf is offline Member
    just good to see someone beat tiger

Thread Information