Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: I never get to train long enough

Octaneforce is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I never get to train long enough

Between my spouse, work, my house, social events, and just other life bullshit, it seems like my workouts almost always get cut short. Ideally i like to lift for about 90 minutes, especially when hitting big muscles like chest and legs. But DAMN 30 minutes in and my phone is usually blowing up. This makes me rush and i end up using huge weight for less reps and quicker sets. I also dont always have time for the steam room which i really like for my skin and joints.
    It seems my best training days are weekend mornings, or during the week late at night when i shut this god forsaken phone off.

Im sitting here right now in my gym clothes in my living room but just remembered i have dinner plans with a bunch of my buddies for a little remembrance for our friend that ate it in a bike accident a few summers ago. Its a good reason to get together, but I’ll end up missing tonights training session. Anyone else ever get this feeling?
    Family_guy likes this.

Gallowmere is offline Knowledgeable Member
    As I’ve said elsewhere, shit like this is why I train at 4:30 am. I get my shit in before the world has a chance to get in my way. It also sets the tone for a much more positive day for me, every time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallowmere View Post
    As I’ve said elsewhere, shit like this is why I train at 4:30 am. I get my shit in before the world has a chance to get in my way. It also sets the tone for a much more positive day for me, every time.
    Bro im not even a human until 9am lol. Ive lifted at 5am before work in the past, its fuckin hard! Maybe its time for me to commit to that
    Chrisp83TRT likes this.

GearHeaded is offline BANNED
    couple of thoughts here

- change your mindset .
    instead of thinking of your training in regards to each individual workout (eg, chest day Monday, leg day Tuesday), think about the entirety of your work over a weeks time. so in the big picture of the whole week you have say for example , 20 sets of chest, 15 sets of legs, 12 sets of back, 15 sets of arms, etc.. to get done over a weeks time. no matter how your actual split or routine is set up, the end goal is to get the total weeks worth of work finished. so that 20 sets of chest has to get done by the end of the week (not necessarily done perfectly in one workout). that way if your chest day workout gets cut short or something on Monday, you still have the totality of the week to make up for it and get your totals accomplished for the whole week. if you miss a workout, fine. make up for the totals on another day (say your leg day goes perfect, then at the end of legs add 10 sets of chest you need to finish up the totals for the week).
    again, as long as it all gets done over the weeks time.

- change your actual routine ..
    - switch to doing a two a day routine. if your morning workout gets cut short, no worries you still got the afternoon workout yet to come. if you miss an afternoon workout cause something came up, no worries you still got the next morning (plus maybe you needed a day off cause your doing 2 a days 7 days per week)
    - switch to a high intensity non stop stye program where all you need is 45 mins 4 days per week to kill shit and get it done. you can easily step away from the phone and life for a quick 45 mins

OR.. get up at 4am and train you lazy bastard !

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Dorian built and Olympia winning body with 30-40 min workouts. He preaches never any more than 45 mins. After that it’s over training or you weren’t training intensely enough
    almostgone, German89 and Cuz like this.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

< <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    Sucks,

It's life

When I had to work for someone else it sucked. I was either at work, or too beat to lift

Couchlockd is offline Senior Member
    Leave phone in car.

I have the best workout without phone

Chrisp83TRT is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    Dorian built and Olympia winning body with 30-40 min workouts. He preaches never any more than 45 mins. After that it’s over training or you weren’t training intensely enough
    Have you watched his training with his coach ?!
    Not everyone has that advantage bro lol.

We was working with the best if the best... So his 45 minutes was mine and your hour in a half -2 hour training session.

That's not me making excuses or debating.. it's a fact.

Sent from my JSN-AL00 using Tapatalk
    Old Duffer and Couchlockd like this.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp83trt View Post
    have you watched his training with his coach ?!

We was working with the best if the best... So his 45 minutes was mine and your hour in a half -2 hour training session.

That's not me making excuses or debating.. It's a fact.

Sent from my jsn-al00 using tapatalk
    "come on yates! Get it get it yates! Harder, more!! That's it yates!"
    Chrisp83TRT and German89 like this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHeaded View Post
    couple of thoughts here

- change your mindset .
    instead of thinking of your training in regards to each individual workout (eg, chest day Monday, leg day Tuesday), think about the entirety of your work over a weeks time. so in the big picture of the whole week you have say for example , 20 sets of chest, 15 sets of legs, 12 sets of back, 15 sets of arms, etc.. to get done over a weeks time. no matter how your actual split or routine is set up, the end goal is to get the total weeks worth of work finished. so that 20 sets of chest has to get done by the end of the week (not necessarily done perfectly in one workout). that way if your chest day workout gets cut short or something on Monday, you still have the totality of the week to make up for it and get your totals accomplished for the whole week. if you miss a workout, fine. make up for the totals on another day (say your leg day goes perfect, then at the end of legs add 10 sets of chest you need to finish up the totals for the week).
    again, as long as it all gets done over the weeks time.

- change your actual routine ..
    - switch to doing a two a day routine. if your morning workout gets cut short, no worries you still got the afternoon workout yet to come. if you miss an afternoon workout cause something came up, no worries you still got the next morning (plus maybe you needed a day off cause your doing 2 a days 7 days per week)
    - switch to a high intensity non stop stye program where all you need is 45 mins 4 days per week to kill shit and get it done. you can easily step away from the phone and life for a quick 45 mins

OR.. get up at 4am and train you lazy bastard !
    Very interesting. This approach makes sense. Atill probably not gonna get up early though hahah
    Couchlockd likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Couchlockd View Post
    "come on yates! Get it get it yates! Harder, more!! That's it yates!"
    Hahah yes !! I wish I had someone screaming and spitting in my face and I lift, I'd be double in size haha . And he dedicated his life to looking like a god damn statue

Couchlockd likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Octaneforce View Post
    Very interesting. This approach makes sense. Atill probably not gonna get up early though hahah
    I think we all need to light the fire under our asses again

When I first started this I couldn't sleep past 6am due to excitement of lifting. I'd wake up drink coffee bang out 500 situps 250 pushups, and super set curls to overhead triceps.

Then hit it for real at 1230 pm

Now I have to drag my ass out of bed at10:30 am and lucky if I in the gym by 2pm

It seems I've lost that inner "fire". Seems like lots of us loose it eventually, what we need to do is get the excitement back.

I used to say to people who would balk at how strict and "boring' I lived life by saying "every day you wake up you can either gain a slight bit of strength and size and become a centimeter closer to your goal or you can do nothing and stay the same or give up and gain fat. I choose to inch closer to my goal"

Life at times changes this outlook, but we need to strive to find that flame again.
    Gallowmere and Octaneforce like this.

Blog Entries
    I think we all need to light the fire under our asses again

When I first started this I couldn't sleep past 6am due to excitement of lifting. I'd wake up drink coffee bang out 500 situps 250 pushups, and super set curls to overhead triceps.

Then hit it for real at 1230 pm

Now I have to drag my ass out of bed at10:30 am and lucky if I in the gym by 2pm

It seems I've lost that inner "fire". Seems like lots of us loose it eventually, what we need to do is get the excitement back.

I used to say to people who would balk at how strict and "boring' I lived life by saying "every day you wake up you can either gain a slight bit of strength and size and become a centimeter closer to your goal or you can do nothing and stay the same or give up and gain fat. I choose to inch closer to my goal"

Life at times changes this outlook, but we need to strive to find that flame again.
    As robert frank says; “your born small and weak and you die small and weak. How you look in between is up to you”
    Couchlockd likes this.

fiddlesticks is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Train at home if you need to.. Just buy an adjustable dumbbell and barbell , 100-300lbs of weights and youre set. 90 mins indicates you aren't pushing hard enough

German89 is offline Female Member
    Blog Entries
    Then stop bitching.

Make the necessary changes or deal with what you got.

Work harder. Work efficiently. Just do your work. Stop crying about it. Make a schedule and check in advance.

What's more important? Training? or some fucking dinner party?!

GearHeaded is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by German89 View Post
    a lady with her priorities in line right there !!
    German89 likes this.

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    Between my spouse, work, my house, social events, and just other life bullshit, it seems like my workouts almost always get cut short. Ideally i like to lift for about 90 minutes, especially when hitting big muscles like chest and legs. But DAMN 30 minutes in and my phone is usually blowing up. This makes me rush and i end up using huge weight for less reps and quicker sets. I also dont always have time for the steam room which i really like for my skin and joints.
    It seems my best training days are weekend mornings, or during the week late at night when i shut this god forsaken phone off.

Im sitting here right now in my gym clothes in my living room but just remembered i have dinner plans with a bunch of my buddies for a little remembrance for our friend that ate it in a bike accident a few summers ago. Its a good reason to get together, but I’ll end up missing tonights training session. Anyone else ever get this feeling?
    1. There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to get a great session done in 30 minutes.

2. "This makes me rush" - NEVER rush a workout. That is a recipe for debilitating injury.

3. You don't need multiple movements per session. Warm-up appreciably... with movements which prime the musculature and nervous system (i.e. no wasted time plodding along on the treadmill etc. Targeted warm-ups). Pick a primary movement which you get good stimulation from. Trash it. Simple. If there's extra time, throw in some accessory work.

4. Look in to EDT (escalated density training)

5. schedule the steam room or hot yoga on days you don't train.

I run a PT company. Most of my days for the last decade and half have been 16 hour days.

My training, subsequently, has had to get more efficient. Cus some days I barely have 20 minutes to train.
    -Corey "Narkissos" Springer

Published Author.
    Owner of :
    Apollo Fitness Barbados etc
    Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by texasmk4
    Nark is like intel, Brilliant inside and awsome outside :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    Here's a little-known-secret, that most people won't tell you: In the sphere of fitness, everything works.
    Every(intelligent)thing works (once aptly and consistently applied)
    It really is that simple.
    This is the perpetual bodybuilding paradigm
    **No Source Checks**
    Contact Me

Blog Entries
    I agree w above, I can get incredible results working out for 15 mins a day, all about the intensity. Personally anytime I do a set with a lot of forced reps and make it painful as possible I get results with. Direct correlation between pump size and results for me.
    Last edited by fiddlesticks; 01-11-2019 at 01:29 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by German89 View Post
    Then stop bitching.

Make the necessary changes or deal with what you got.

Work harder. Work efficiently. Just do your work. Stop crying about it. Make a schedule and check in advance.

Mmm howd you know i like to be yelled at.

Haha jk dont sue me

SocioMachiavelli is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisp83TRT View Post
    Have you watched his training with his coach ?!

That's not me making excuses or debating.. it's a fact.

Have to say I absolutely disagree. If you are working with full intensity.... you can't train for two hours.

Working for two hours with 50% intensity is not the same as working with full intensity for an hour.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    If you want to train, you will make time to train

Blog Entries
    Unless you are literally taking crack it is not possible to train extremely hard for over 30 mins, I am talking about the forced rep sets, pyramid sets etc. The lactic acid buildup takes a toll on CNS.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    Unless you are literally taking crack it is not possible to train extremely hard for over 30 mins, I am talking about the forced rep sets, pyramid sets etc. The lactic acid buildup takes a toll on CNS.
    Hmm..... Crack you say? Get hours if sets in a 30min bag?

Sign me up.

We all gone be some tweeked out panty wearing jacked animals.

"Da fuck you say bout my stockings mother fuckers!?!?"

Proximal is offline Banned
    30 minutes of “intense” exercise? Are there any breaks between sets? Are you confusing the CNS with the PNS? I teach Anatomy & Physiology, I am not calling bs, I’m asking politely for your reputable source for this information. TY.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Proximal View Post
    30 minutes of “intense” exercise? Are there any breaks between sets? Are you confusing the CNS with the PNS? I teach Anatomy & Physiology, I am not calling bs, I’m asking politely for your reputable source for this information. TY.
    My definition of intense is pretty insane tbh, Lets just say the absolute hardest every set someone who is prescribed adderall can go. And then pyramid sets. A normal persons definition of intense is definitely naturally possible

Blog Entries
    Hmm..... Crack you say? Get hours if sets in a 30min bag?

Sign me up.

We all gone be some tweeked out panty wearing jacked animals.

"Da fuck you say bout my stockings mother fuckers!?!?"
    Yea, and then everyone had a stroke the end. Too bad this is how pro bodybuilding actually works tho, just replace cocaine with meth

AR's King Silabolin is offline Castle Power

Never. Its a matter of prioritizing. Arnold skipped his fathers furneral cause he was doing a show.
    When my son was..eh..what u call it...officially named by christian tradition, i left the familyparty way before the guest were gone and hit the gym cause i had a thighs workout coming up. Back then i was 25 and a fool but its always a question of how bad u want it.

Hehe..i remember..when i was 14 me and my boy used to workout before school in our basement. One day his familyhome was burning. He was told the firefigthers were already there, so he finished his workout with me. 2 hours. Didnt notice any hurryworkout either.
    Its always the same. How bad do u really want it.
    As for my boy, which up today had the best genes i ever saw around here, dropped bodybuilding at the age of 17. To much work at his fathers company and he was already buff with a pro chest, so i guess he figured out his life wouldnt be better with even more muscles.

Sent fra min SM-N9005 via Tapatalk

My definition of intense is pretty insane tbh, Lets just say the absolute hardest every set someone who is prescribed adderall can go. And then pyramid sets. A normal persons definition of intense is definitely naturally possible
    The problem with your definition of intense is that it ignores the actual training volume definition of intensity: load moved. How are we defining “absolute hardest set someone can go”? For me, it depends on exactly that, intensity. Am I hitting an amrap set with 315? 405? 495? There’s a big difference in time required for each of those, and it only gets more notable as it goes up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AR's King Silabolin View Post
    Never. Its a matter of prioritizing. Arnold skipped his fathers furneral cause he was doing a show.
    When my son was..eh..what u call it...officially named by christian tradition, i left the familyparty way before the guest were gone and hit the gym cause i had a thighs workout coming up. Back then i was 25 and a fool but its always a question of how bad u want it.

Hehe..i remember..when i was 14 me and my boy used to workout before school in our basement. One day his familyhome was burning. He was told the firefigthers were already there, so he finished his workout with me. 2 hours. Didnt notice any hurryworkout either.
    Its always the same. How bad do u really want it.
    As for my boy, which up today had the best genes i ever saw around here, dropped bodybuilding at the age of 17. To much work at his fathers company and he was already buff with a pro chest, so i guess he figured out his life wouldnt be better with even more muscles.

Sent fra min SM-N9005 via Tapatalk
    Your a savage! As far as medications go i probably need xanax to be able to ignore outside factors while lifting haha. anxiety is probably what makes me rush thru workouts.

Blog Entries
    The problem with your definition of intense is that it ignores the actual training volume definition of intensity: load moved. How are we defining “absolute hardest set someone can go”? For me, it depends on exactly that, intensity. Am I hitting an amrap set with 315? 405? 495? There’s a big difference in time required for each of those, and it only gets more notable as it goes up.
    Yea i dont bother with anything except very long lowish weight sets. I get 50x better results doing that than high weight. I don't think it's even physiologically possible to use the muscle 100% (to the point where you are screaming in pain) with high weight since joints and tendons take a beating.. Before your bicep gives out usually your wrist or forearm tendon will, at least from what ive seen. You can push the muscle much harder if the joints aren't as stressed, it's a massive factor.

For arms I can get results with basically 2 prolonged sets if they are intense enough, the pump will be 10x more than doing more sets with less reps. When your muscle gives up vs your tendon the difference is very clear.
    Last edited by fiddlesticks; 01-13-2019 at 08:05 PM.
    Family_guy likes this.

Yea i dont bother with anything except very long lowish weight sets. I get 50x better results doing that than high weight. I don't think it's even physiologically possible to use the muscle 100% (to the point where you are screaming in pain) with high weight since joints and tendons take a beating.. Before your bicep gives out usually your wrist or forearm tendon will, at least from what ive seen. You can push the muscle much harder if the joints aren't as stressed, it's a massive factor.

For arms I can get results with basically 2 prolonged sets if they are intense enough, the pump will be 10x more than doing more sets with less reps. When your muscle gives up vs your tendon the difference is very clear.
    I’d tend to agree with you from a purely hypertrophic perspective. I think it’s a bit of a wash on which is going to work better on an individual level, unfortunately. Hell, we even see it in the pros who are the elite and on all of the drugs. Jay Cutler got mocked more than once for “training like a girl”, while we have Coleman on the other end and Warren somewhere between the two.
    fiddlesticks likes this.

Thebricklayer is offline Junior Member
    I too hit the gym at 5 a.m. as my life is way busier than I want it to be. Also after laying block or stone all day at my age there is not much left in the tank for a proper session. :-) It is a very good feeling to walk into an empty gym at 5 and have the place to yourself, no distractions.

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    Its like this octane,
    Last night I knew going to the gym was going to piss off gf.

I needed to fk pretty bad so I waited until after I did to tell her I was going to the gym.

You have to plan.
    Sometimes patience is key to getting both laid and gym time.
    Family_guy and Octaneforce like this.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries

It’s not, the body has a natural fail safe if you will to prevent injury. For the average senditary joe,They would be lucky to elicit more than 85-90% of the full muscles potential. With training and psychology then a person can get closer to 90-93% ish. The numbers very in the literature somewhat. That’s why Sports Psycology got so big in the 90’s and early 2000’s as everyone was trying to “hack the system” and get more and more motor unit recruitment out of athletic movements.

Interestingly, there are pharmacological agents that help with that. Caffeine being the most commonly know and of course PCP making people “super human” strong. Most of the system resistance has to do with the nervous system holding back recruitment of all motor units. I had a lab partner who’s thesis work was using things like Russian stim to increase power output on anaerobic tests like the Wingate. Or one rep max on knee extension and so on.

David Archiletta (spelling?) had a cool draft day video years ago with him working with his private strength coach using Russian stim or variants of it.
    Proximal and Family_guy like this.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

EDCG19 is offline Senior Member
    Get it

Proximal is offline Banned
    It’s not, the body has a natural fail safe if you will to prevent injury. For the average senditary joe,They would be lucky to elicit more than 85-90% of the full muscles potential. With training and psychology then a person can get closer to 90-93% ish. The numbers very in the literature somewhat. That’s why Sports Psycology got so big in the 90’s and early 2000’s as everyone was trying to “hack the system” and get more and more motor unit recruitment out of athletic movements.

Interestingly, there are pharmacological agents that help with that. Caffeine being the most commonly know and of course PCP making people “super human” strong. Most of the system resistance has to do with the nervous system holding back recruitment of all motor units. I had a lab partner who’s thesis work was using things like Russian stim to increase power output on anaerobic tests like the Wingate. Or one rep max on knee extension and so on.

David Archiletta (spelling?) had a cool draft day video years ago with him working with his private strength coach using Russian stim or variants of it.
    Voluntarily no, but in a life or death situation where the CNS sends a high enough frequency, perhaps. It’s likely there will be muscle and/or tendon, joint injury due to the strength generated though.

Russian stim is a trip, feels like your muscles are going to tear off of your bones if you crank the wave length & frequency high enough. No carry over to voluntary recruitment unfortunately.

Some one should experiment with PCP, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by EDCG19 View Post
    Get it
    That dude is fucking crazy but holy fuck ,, his legs make mine look like bread sticks

Blog Entries

What I meant was It is possible to utilize the muscle more in certain positions, e.g bicep curl bottom portion is much harder than top. You are always able to perform 3-5 baby reps once the full rom reps have been complete
    Last edited by fiddlesticks; 01-14-2019 at 10:19 PM.

Blog Entries
    I’d tend to agree with you from a purely hypertrophic perspective. I think it’s a bit of a wash on which is going to work better on an individual level, unfortunately. Hell, we even see it in the pros who are the elite and on all of the drugs. Jay Cutler got mocked more than once for “training like a girl”, while we have Coleman on the other end and Warren somewhere between the two.
    Yea and look how well deadlifting 3000 lbs everyday did for ronnie while Jay seems problem free.

EDCG19 is offline Senior Member
    Yea and look how well deadlifting 3000 lbs everyday did for ronnie while Jay seems problem free.
    Yeah I spent some time looking into Colemans injuries and it seems like he's done and his back is powdered dust. Meaning he is living through so much pain now but he still says he wouldn't change a thing from what he did before
    I respect the man but please guys keep the injuries low
    I don't want to end up like Ronnie in my later years no matter how good of a physique I can build with heavier weight

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information