Terinox is offline The One & Only

Portable MP3 Player Suggestions?

Howdy,

Alright, well it's summer time, and I'm working my ASS off, 50 hours a week or so, and making a fair bit of money. Gonna end up spending a ton on school, some on a January cycle, but still got some spending money, but not much.

I'm thinking of buying an MP3 player, although, I should make that, WILL buy an MP3 player. Here is the thing, I have a discman, and all of last year during University, I worked out with it in a pouch around my waist. I workout 1-1.5 hours a day, 5 days a week (during school year), so it IS something that I will be using a lot, so it has to be a good device.

The discman is ANNOYING, it is too big, skips, and you can only fit about 16-18 songs a cd. Now, an MP3 DISCMAN, is also out of the question because of the size, it would still need to be in a pouch around my waist, and it's annoying (when sitting/standing constantly).

THEREFORE I am going to buy an mp3 player, a nice small one, portable, and fair quality.

I'm really interested in the RCA Lyra 128mb models 1071 & 1080 (both expandable with external SD/MMC cards. The difference between the two, 1080 has an FM tuner, but the 1071 does NOT.

SO, question here is, do any members HAVE a portable MP3 player? What brand? How much memory does it have? How satisfied are you with the performance?

I don't really need it YET, school starts in September, and I'm pretty much buying this MIANLY for workouts PLUS any spare time I have between classes where I'm jerkin it in the cafeteria.

PLEASE HELP, thanks,
    T.

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Rio sport ownz. It's small, 128 memory and you can upgrade it with a extra 512 stick. And it plays really loud.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Portable MP3 Player Suggestions?-i-1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by LORDBLiTZ
    Rio sport ownz. It's small, 128 memory and you can upgrade it with a extra 512 stick. And it plays really loud.
    Nice, I will look into that, check out some places. Where did you get it, and how much? You're in Canada, so it is readily available right?

Ter... go to Costco and pick up an Irock

Been using mine over a year and a half and it blows the RCA clear out of da water. Plus it's a lot smaller.

Good points... it's tiny, holds 64mb internally + you can add a 128mb SmartMedia card, runs over 4 hours at top volume on a AAA battery, and it's a lot more solid than it looks! It's always in my hip pocket and has been hit by 45lbs plates and dumbells more often than I care to admit and finally it's really "barebones" with no frills (like you need frills at the gym?).

Less good points... It looks cheap and flimsy, earphones that come with it are trash, there is no song title display or other glitzy things.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Portable MP3 Player Suggestions?-irock_mp3.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup
    Ter... go to Costco and pick up an Irock

Been using mine over a year and a half and it blows the RCA clear out of da water. Plus it's a lot smaller.

Good points... it's tiny, holds 64mb internally + you can add a 128mb SmartMedia card, runs over 4 hours at top volume on a AAA battery, and it's a lot more solid than it looks! It's always in my hip pocket and has been hit by 45lbs plates and dumbells more often than I care to admit and finally it's really "barebones" with no frills (like you need frills at the gym?).

Less good points... It looks cheap and flimsy, earphones that come with it are trash, there is no song title display or other glitzy things.
    Hmmm...sounds "so-so"

How much did you pay for that? Is it ONLY 128mb upgradable? The good part with the Lyra is that it's unlimited, the more the merrier. I think they have up to 256mb cards, and if they come out with 512mb, they will be able to handle it. Also, another good thing is that it is upgradable to future versions of mp3 (more compact or wutever types get released). The one you have sounds decent, but I dunno if it's something that could be used for up to 5 years with comfort.

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    It's 330 canadian. I bought it at A&B sound.

330$ Not an irock! Paid mine about $100usd over a year and a half ago (wasn't available in Canada yet). They go for around $80usd now.

It is quite limited and as I said, no frills... but then for $80usd...

Not sure I'd want a $300 $500 player at the gym where it gets banged around or left in lockers (and gets stolen) while you shower.

Player is limited to 64mb inernal (there is a 128mb internal model) plus 128mb SM as SM cards are only up to 128mb

Red

ripped4fsu is offline Anabolic Member

My MP3 player

I've had this one since X-mas with no complaints,,, things I like:
    1) loooooong lasting rechargeable battery
    2) re-recordable 500mg mini disk
    3) it has never skipped, not once.
    3) pretty rugged, I've dropped it several times.
    4) USB cap.
    5) moderately priced (around $200 with 5 disk)

I got it at Circuit city
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Portable MP3 Player Suggestions?-mp3player.jpg  
    Last edited by ripped4fsu; 07-25-2003 at 10:02 PM.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I don't want to spend too much though, the Rio is $330 Canadian and that's kinda pricy. The Lyra player is about $199.99, and sometimes goes on sale for $179.99 or so.

Red, I might look into that player at Costco (although I'm not a member, so I dunno if they will let me in.)

Today i'm gonna go see Tomb Raider (YAY!!!) but afterwards, I'm gonna go with a buddy to a couple places (Futureshop, Best Buy, etc...) and check out some models and prices. I'll let u know wut I find out.

Please, any more suggestions are welcome!!

Quote Originally Posted by Terinox
    Red, I might look into that player at Costco (although I'm not a member, so I dunno if they will let me in.)
    A BB who is not a member at costco??? Woah!

Membership is worth it just for their huge pallets of Maple Leaf Prime chicken breasts!!!!! I'd starve it were not for costco!

One thing you definetly want in an MP3 player is external media capability. Be it CF, SM, Stick or whatever, I would never look at or even consider a player that only has internal memory.

Red

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Get an iPod.

www.apple.com/ipod

redrock is offline Member
    I''ll approach this from the "what NOT to get" catagory. I have a 128mb Samsung Yepp. It's the newer model, runs $180 with headphones, belt, neck and arm strap. The player is decent on volume, but the software is horrible. Takes forever to make a playlist and the whole thing is a pain in the ass. nuff said...

Nomad Muvo. I had the 64mb version. Great player that doubles as a portable USB data storage thing. 2 major drawbacks...Not enough volume and No options, no eq, no battery level indicator. Very bare bones, but the price isn't.

As soon as my Yepp poops on me, i'm looking into the iRiver 256mb or the Rio mentioned above. The greatest one in my opinion was the Intel Pocket Concert, but they stopped making it. Bastards...mine broke after 2 years of hard gym use, so I guess I can't complain. REDROCK

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Redrock - what software are you using on your Yepp?

KeyMastur is offline VET
    What about the Sony one. Believe they have a 128 mb version which will give you enough music to workout with. You might want to change it every time you go though. But what's neat about it is that it fits around your arm.

I myself have a Creative Jukebox Zen 2.0. Holds 20 gigs. I travel a lot, so it suits me just fine.

Thanks for the more replies bros.

Red - I myself (under my name) am not a member. However my mom is, but since we don't have the same last name, I couldn't take her card and show she is my mom, I'd have to go WITH her whenever I go. And the Maple Leaf chicken well since I work at a Distribution Centre FOR Maple Leaf, I can get boxes and boxes of the chicken at a very nice price

Carlos - The IPods are just too much. They have like 10+ gigs of space, and I REALLY don't need that much, and they are too pricy for me bro, but thnx for the suggestion.

redrock - I'll make sure not to buy those shitty ones

KeyMastur - I'm not sure which Sony you are talking about, is it fairly new? And do you know if it's decent price? Expensive?

Thnx again guys,
    T.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Actually, I don't see it anymore on www.pricegrabber.com - they used to have a link to an online retailer who carried it. It was one of the first ones to come out. Guess it's outdated now.

redrock is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AandF6969
    Redrock - what software are you using on your Yepp?
    The Yepp Audio Manager that came with it. I have to manually add tracks to the database everytime and them wipe them free. If I try and let the software scan for mp3's on my computer, it freezes because I have more than 35gig's worth of mp3s.

I like software where you just show the location of a song or songs, and transfer them over. This making playlist bullshit is stupid. REDROCK

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Carlos - The IPods are just too much. They have like 10+ gigs of space, and I REALLY don't need that much, and they are too pricy for me bro, but thnx for the suggestion.

I'm selling my 5gig iPod to buy a new one. You want to buy it?

Thanks for the more replies bros.

And the Maple Leaf chicken well since I work at a Distribution Centre FOR Maple Leaf, I can get boxes and boxes of the chicken at a very nice price

No WAY!!!!!

Aw man! Now I am jealous!

Red

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos_E
    I'm selling my 5gig iPod to buy a new one. You want to buy it?
    Shoot me a PM bro, price and stuff like that. I live in Canada tho bro, Toronto area.

Polska is offline Anabolic Member
    I use the Creative Nomad IIc.... paid around $200 CDN for it and I am satisified. 128mb internal memory, looks good, nice solid player. Plays loud enough... been banged by some plates and dumbells and still solid. The headphones it comes with are pretty good too.. they're really comfortable while working out. So no need to upgrade to a better set of headphones as with most other players. I'd recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Polska
    I use the Creative Nomad IIc.... paid around $200 CDN for it and I am satisified. 128mb internal memory, looks good, nice solid player. Plays loud enough... been banged by some plates and dumbells and still solid. The headphones it comes with are pretty good too.. they're really comfortable while working out. So no need to upgrade to a better set of headphones as with most other players. I'd recommend it.
    Sounds nice. Does it have external memory for upgrade? Where did you get it?

b18razr is offline Junior Member
    I have the Creative Nomad MuVo, it has 128mb and the whole thing is about the size of a ciggarete lighter. It playes pretty loud and the battery lasts really long too (AAA). I would highly recommend this one. www.creative.com or something like that

Thread Information