Like Tree10Likes
  • 5 Post By almostgone
  • 1 Post By < <Samson> >
  • 1 Post By < <Samson> >
  • 3 Post By Beetlegeuse

Thread: Laser eye surgery

yeahbuddy289 is offline Knowledgeable Member

Laser eye surgery

Anyone have this done? I have a couple friends who have had it and say it was worth every penny. I’m worried though that the risk isn’t worth it... with my luck my eyes would be screwed up for life lol. I have also heard that you will lose your near sight when you get older due to the surgery.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahbuddy289 View Post
    Anyone have this done? I have a couple friends who have had it and say it was worth every penny. I’m worried though that the risk isn’t worth it... with my luck my eyes would be screwed up for life lol. I have also heard that you will lose your near sight when you get older due to the surgery.
    Near sight goes for most of us as we get older. My wife had LASIK done back in the early 2000s. She went from worse than 20/400 uncorrected to 20/10 in the left eye and 20/15 in the right eye.

That was ~ 20 years ago, so I imagine techniques have advanced considerably.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    My brother had it done quite a few years ago. He said he has problems with glare at night while he's driving. But he said it's not that bad and the glare he had from his glasses was just as bad.

< <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    Both wives had it done - both came out perfect

2nd(my current wife) had a very severe case of near sidedness, so they had to take off a bit more eye material. She had to have glass contact lenses installed & monitored for a month I believe < she couldn’t see jack shit before this. . . Now, she’s got better vision than me

I’m really contemplating getting it done but man, if it doesn’t go right it’s a decision I would be stuck with for the rest of my life.

wango is offline Anabolic Member
    My wife had it done 2 years ago. She was helpless without her glasses or contacts. She was also getting to the point where she was unable to drive comfortably at night.

Incredible 180 degree reversal for her. However she (like myself) still needs standard reading glasses for near vision.

Blog Entries
    I’m really contemplating getting it done but man, if it doesn’t go right it’s a decision I would be stuck with for the rest of my life.

Meh

Nothing compared to brain surgery

Lol

LASIK/PRK surgery is quite streamlined now. It’s more of a personal choice imo - nasty procedure tho. But, like everything - we get over it

Yeah nothing at all compared to what you’ve been through for sure lol. It’s a nasty procedure? My buddy said they did it while he was awake and he didn’t feel anything and took about a day to recover.

Blog Entries
    Well,

You are awake - then shit goes black, then you smell your eye ball burning

Then you’re done

Fairly nasty imo

My wife had to have her’s done as deep as they can go - so it took a little longer + she needed glass contacts installed for a week at a time & had them pulled 2-3x

She couldn’t see shit before without her contacts - now, her vision is better than mine
    yeahbuddy289 likes this.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Yeah nothing at all compared to what you’ve been through for sure lol. It’s a nasty procedure? My buddy said they did it while he was awake and he didn’t feel anything and took about a day to recover.
    Not sure if my wife had the same procedure done as <Samson's> wife, but hers basically went down like this:

1)!They measured and mapped out the curvature of her eyeballs. That told them what needed to be reshaped.
    2) They gave her a little Valium to keep her calm because you don't want to move around during surgery.
    3) They made a small incision in the cornea, folded back the flap, then reshaped the iris with a laser.
    4) They thoroughly flush the eyes and lay the flap in each eye back down
    5). She had to cool her heels for about an hour post-procedure and then she came out with the disposable sunglasses they give you like the ones if had your eyes dilated.
    6) She slept that evening and was reading without glasses by about 4 a.m.
    7) She had to keep here eyes lubricated ( artificial years, I believe) and she had several post procedure visits to make sure everything was G2G. Main thing was the flap had to stay moist and lay flat on the eye

Keep in mind this was ~ 20 years ago, so I imagine they've improved on techniques since then?.
    Last edited by almostgone; 05-23-2021 at 05:21 PM.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

xxblazenlowxx is offline Associate Member
    I had it done by lasik plus in 2013, i was pretty blind. My night vision got worse from it but not that bad.

I had my right eye touched up in 2012 and in 2015 i decided to get glasses rather then fuck with my eyes.

Eye doctor tomd me to wait until im in my 40’s when my eyes dont change as much to have it corrected one last time.

I most likely wont do it.

Oh yeah I know having your eyes cut up with a laser is definitely nasty lol I have heard of them giving you Valium to relax you... which I definitely think I would need lol. Thanks for all the input guys I appreciate it.

xxblazenlowxx is offline Associate Member
    But my eyes are still better today then when i first went in and it was great not wearing glasses for a couple years.

Now I enjoy my prescription sunglasses, currently oakleys

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    Not sure if my wife had the same procedure done as <Samson's> wife, but hers basically went down like this:

1)!They measured and mapped out the curvature of her eyeballs. That told them what needed to be reshaped.
    2) They gave her a little Valium to keep her calm because you don't want to move around during surgery.
    3) They made a small incision in the cornea, folded back the flap, then reshaped the iris with a laser.
    4) They thoroughly flush the eyes and lay the flap in each eye back down
    5). She had to cool her heels for about an hour post-procedure and then she came out with the disposable sunglasses they give you like the ones if had your eyes dilated.
    6) She slept that evening and was reading without glasses by about 4 a.m.
    7) She had to keep here eyes lubricated ( artificial years, I believe) and she had several post procedure visits to make sure everything was G2G. Main thing was the flap had to stay moist and lay flat on the eye

Keep in mind this was ~ 20 years ago, so I imagine they've improved on techniques since then?.

Sounds spot on to my ex wife

It was about 20 years ago when she had it done

My wife now, just had it done about 5 years back - seems quite similar to what it was back then
    almostgone likes this.

paulzane is offline Productive Member
    I had lens replacement surgery done in Thailand a few years ago. A sort of step up from laser shaping of the eye. Was pissed off that my arms weren't long enough to hold books, papers and phone so that I could focus and read! Had to use reading glasses and had them everywhere. I knew guys at work who had had the Lasik done and they still needed contacts and glasses after a few years. They also had "haloing" and night glare!

I had both eyes done one after the other and had an overnight stay with drops put in every few hours. Then plenty of drops to put in for the next month. It was great for close up work as reading glasses were sent to the dustbin! However the haloing and night glare was quite bad. It doesn't help that now everying seems to be LED's as I find that lighting a lot worse than normal! I was glad that my job had gone to a day job as I would not have liked to have been working nights on aircraft as there are lots of different lights that could have caused me problems!

Anyway I have put up with the haloing and it has got a little easier to cope with over time (they said that at the briefing) ..... but it means that I won't get cataracts in my waning years .... and still don't need reading glasses!

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paulzane View Post
    I had lens replacement surgery done in Thailand a few years ago. A sort of step up from laser shaping of the eye. Was pissed off that my arms weren't long enough to hold books, papers and phone so that I could focus and read! Had to use reading glasses and had them everywhere. I knew guys at work who had had the Lasik done and they still needed contacts and glasses after a few years. They also had "haloing" and night glare!

I had both eyes done one after the other and had an overnight stay with drops put in every few hours. Then plenty of drops to put in for the next month. It was great for close up work as reading glasses were sent to the dustbin! However the haloing and night glare was quite bad. It doesn't help that now everying seems to be LED's as I find that lighting a lot worse than normal! I was glad that my job had gone to a day job as I would not have liked to have been working nights on aircraft as there are lots of different lights that could have caused me problems!

Anyway I have put up with the haloing and it has got a little easier to cope with over time (they said that at the briefing) ..... but it means that I won't get cataracts in my waning years .... and still don't need reading glasses!
    I remember that. Maybe I would have better luck if I went back to Thailand and had my next (4th or 5th) Cornea replacement done. Ive also had 3 lens replacements and 2 repairs in the last 10 years. I had my lens break loose (it was already weak due to previous damage) while I was in the Philippines having some fun with the current wife 4 years ago. The lens is good now but the cornea is still fvcked. Vision is BAD, cant see any 3d now, only a little before and forget about reading a book.

Back on subject. I have had a couple friends do the laser correction surgery and they also say it was worth every penny.

paulzane is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    I remember that. Maybe I would have better luck if I went back to Thailand and had my next (4th or 5th) Cornea replacement done. Ive also had 3 lens replacements and 2 repairs in the last 10 years. I had my lens break loose (it was already weak due to previous damage) while I was in the Philippines having some fun with the current wife 4 years ago. The lens is good now but the cornea is still fvcked. Vision is BAD, cant see any 3d now, only a little before and forget about reading a book.

Back on subject. I have had a couple friends do the laser correction surgery and they also say it was worth every penny.
    Sorry to hear that you have had problems lovbytes

Quote Originally Posted by paulzane View Post
    Sorry to hear that you have had problems lovbytes
    LOL, you dont know the 1/2 of it since you have been gone. Just finished my 4th surgery on my left shoulder. The last two were total replacements and the one 2 years ago fielded so I had it redone 2 months ago. So far so good. Got married (3rd time) about 10 years ago, built a Beautiful resort style 3200 sq ft house and gave it to her in the divorce just to get rid of her. Remarried almost 2 years ago, #4 lol. Yes Im a slow learner but I really think I got it right this time. Last time I knew from day 1 it was wrong but I dont like to give up easily and thought I could fix it. Stupid. This one nothing to fix Hopefully when she turns 30 he attitude wont change but thats a long way off from now.

Damn Lovbyts, you live one hell of a life lol.

Beetlegeuse is offline Knowledgeable Member
    The next time I get the urge to get married again I'm just going to find myself an ugly woman I can't stand and buy her a house. Saves money on attorney's fees, wear and tear on my nerves, and there won't be any sense of a "lost love."

I've also thought about looking for a rich widow with congestive heart failure, pulmonary fibrosis and a DNR. I'm thinking I could make that work for me, ... if I could figure a way to get access to so many women's medical records.

Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    LOL, you dont know the 1/2 of it since you have been gone. Just finished my 4th surgery on my left shoulder. The last two were total replacements and the one 2 years ago fielded so I had it redone 2 months ago. So far so good. Got married (3rd time) about 10 years ago, built a Beautiful resort style 3200 sq ft house and gave it to her in the divorce just to get rid of her. Remarried almost 2 years ago, #4 lol. Yes Im a slow learner but I really think I got it right this time. Last time I knew from day 1 it was wrong but I dont like to give up easily and thought I could fix it. Stupid. This one nothing to fix Hopefully when she turns 30 he attitude wont change but thats a long way off from now.
    I just don't see the benefit in getting married. You could just date her and have all the benefits (minus the tax break, which she'd offset with her spending of your money anyways).

Quote Originally Posted by Beetlegeuse View Post
    The next time I get the urge to get married again I'm just going to find myself an ugly woman I can't stand and buy her a house. Saves money on attorney's fees, wear and tear on my nerves, and there won't be any sense of a "lost love."

I've also thought about looking for a rich widow with congestive heart failure, pulmonary fibrosis and a DNR. I'm thinking I could make that work for me, ... if I could figure a way to get access to so many women's medical records.
    Thats what I said, I was going to either not get married or find an ugly one. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. lol

Well if you remember the first 2 wives didn't realty get anything, they are both deceased. 3rd one Im not sure about yet. This one I have no doubt she is a keeper. She has already made up for what the other ones put my through in just a couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    I just don't see the benefit in getting married. You could just date her and have all the benefits (minus the tax break, which she'd offset with her spending of your money anyways).
    True 90% of the time and if I had taken my own advise I would probably considered rich by now.

So far so good and she isnt a spender but she did get hooked on facebook buy nothing for a while. I have to say she got a lot of free clothes purses and other stuff all withing 5 minutes from where we live. Now that she is working she is giving me her paychecks. She also put my plans back in motion for my house in the Philippines which is finished now and we will build another one, bigger after we make the final move. She wants to please me because several of her nieces have already told her they want me if she changes her mind. lol

Thread Information