johnsomebody is offline Senior Member

How Safe Are PMs at AR??

Hey Bros,

Here's a quote I came across today...

"Trafficking in steroids is a felony. Discussing the purchase of steroids can result in charges of criminal conspiracy."

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/par14.htm

I assume people who PM each other at times talk about their plans to buy this or that steroid . Is that in fact criminal conspiracy, and if so, how safe are those PMs at AR???

Just wondering...

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    There not safe at all so keep it to secure email. and if you use PMs make sure you erase them.

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    RON,

Where did you get this info?

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    common sense. The feds can get into what ever they want. IMO even secure mail isn't all that secure. I back up all my PMs and email and clear it from my system

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RON
    common sense. The feds can get into what ever they want. IMO even secure mail isn't all that secure. I back up all my PMs and email and clear it from my system

Yes, thats true. I have a cop friend in the cyber crimes unit. They can look at anything they want as long as they have a warrant. I'm sure someone would let us know if the feds had a warrant for this board.

snowman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LORDBLiTZ
    Yes, thats true. I have a cop friend in the cyber crimes unit. They can look at anything they want as long as they have a warrant. I'm sure someone would let us know if the feds had a warrant for this board.
    Ya.. but, by then it would be to late, to delete any PM's, they would be all over this board... the best thing is to delete everything , or back it up.

BIG R is offline Member
    This is very interesting.

R

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    I wonder how secure ziplip is?

PTbyJason is offline Retired Admin
    Well let me clear all of this up.

PMs are secure and not secure. As of right now I do not believe there is a way for feds to hack into the code in order to get PMs. The only way they can legally do that is if there was suspicion to watch a certain person. You have a right to privacy. That would be like them going into your house and tapping your phone and everyone else's phone. I really don't think that is legal. But there are always security problems in software. If there was ever a hole that allowed someone to view members PMs, there would be a fix issued by Jelsoft that would fix the problem on the vbulletin software. Could a hole occur that would allow someone to see your PMs? Yes, but if they want to see your PMs, that is not how they are going to do it. They would probably try to get your account info after they busted you.

We have talked to the feds before and have been supoened before, just like other boards have been, I'm sure. It has happened maybe once or twice at the most and honestly these members were not even well known. I didn't even know they were members on here. But by then they were already in jail.

So here is what it comes down to. Nothing out there is totally secure. There are always holes (look at Microsoft Windows). Now are feds going to sit there and watch you send PMs back and forth about some girl that you went out with? Hell no, they have too much going on. They can supoena us, but I don't have the ability to get into them. Vbulletin at this times has no holes that allows someone to see your PMs. The things to protect are your account information and items stored on your computer. If they have enough information to come to us, they have already got tons of information from you.

I hope that helps.

Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    What ptby said - we cant read them so the feds cant ask us for them - and by the time they do, you are probably screwed due to physical evidence and sitting in jail anyway

wrstlr69sdnl is offline Senior Member
    hey if they have you they have you screw it im pretty sure they can if they really wanted

johnsomebody is offline Senior Member
    Hey, thanks PT and Cycleon for the info! Puts my mind at ease anyway. I'd always wondered how PMs were set up.

ItalianMuscle is offline Senior Member
    If someone pm u than u erase it.

Thread Information