• 1 Post By XnavyHMCS
  • 2 Post By lovbyts
  • 1 Post By XnavyHMCS
  • 2 Post By lovbyts
  • 1 Post By Test Monsterone

Thread: Thinking i have ADHD

99JT is offline Member

Thinking i have ADHD

I'm 33 and have struggled with so much stuff my entire life and never realized it was an issue until some life changes made it worse and I started talking to people about it and someone I know with ADHD pointed it out because he noticed some signs.

I've got an appointment for an evaluation that's a month out just looking for any advice from anyone who's been through something like this.

Test Monsterone is offline Anabolic Member
    I haven’t had any official diagnosis, but I know I have ADD. I’m not hyperactive, but I will bounce my legs a lot and I can’t sit still for long. A teacher in elementary thought I had a hearing problem cause I never listened to what she was saying lol. I’d always be asking a girl next to me what the instructions were cause I’d zone out halfway though the teachers’ sentences.

In college I had a very hard time concentrating in big classes or auditoriums. So much so that I stopped going to class and just came in for the exams. Fucked a lot of grades up like that.

Right now I’m kinda doing a career change into cybersecurity from the business world and I already got a few entry level certs, but my next one is a big one/ the CCNA. I have started and stopped studying for this a hundred times. I sometimes find it painful to just focus and actually learn what I’m reading and not let my mind just wander.

I haven’t taken any medication for it, nor do I plan to. I know the standard is Ritalin, but it’s an amphetamine, which wouldn’t go well with my blood pressure, I don’t think. What I have been doing is using an app that tracks when I’m working and I’ll start the timer and stop the timer as I go. I’m supposed to be putting in 2 hrs a day, so it keeps me honest long as I’m not cheating myself. Also, a little weed and a cup of coffee helps a lot.

But, I feel you bro. I am just starting to learn how to control this at age 36. It’s not easy. I’d like to know what you end up doing. Good luck.
    XnavyHMCS and almostgone like this.

Fluidic Kimbo is offline Morale Officer (de facto)
    I have my doubts that ADHD is a real disease. The reason I say this is that a person's willingness and ability to concentrate depends hugely on their frame of mind and whether or not they have an inner stillness. You could diagnose 99% of people with ADHD in the week their friend died.

I remember about 12 years ago in Asia, I was tutoring this kid after school who wore a mad-looking helmet with electrodes on it; he had to stare at a screen and try to concentrate to play Pacman. If he stared at the screen and really tried to concentrate, Pacman would eat the food and try to chase the baddies, but if he looked at his pet dog then Pacman would go in the wrong direction.

See. . . parents who have misbehaved during their children's formative years and who have done serious psychological and emotional damage to their children are desperate for a way out. If you throw them a lifeline such as "Your kid has a brain disease", they will reach out and grab it rather than face the shame and guilt of what they've caused. It's even better when the kid gets a mad-looking helmet with electrodes coming out of it -- because it just simply couldn't be their fault if there's electrodes involved.

I recommend a book by David M. Allen entitled "How dysfunctional families spur mental disorders".
    XnavyHMCS likes this.

XnavyHMCS is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluidic Kimbo View Post
    I have my doubts that ADHD is a real disease. The reason I say this is that a person's willingness and ability to concentrate depends hugely on their frame of mind and whether or not they have an inner stillness. You could diagnose 99% of people with ADHD in the week their friend died.

I remember about 12 years ago in Asia, I was tutoring this kid after school who wore a mad-looking helmet with electrodes on it; he had to stare at a screen and try to concentrate to play Pacman. If he stared at the screen and really tried to concentrate, Pacman would eat the food and try to chase the baddies, but if he looked at his pet dog then Pacman would go in the wrong direction.

See. . . parents who have misbehaved during their children's formative years and who have done serious psychological and emotional damage to their children are desperate for a way out. If you throw them a lifeline such as "Your kid has a brain disease", they will reach out and grab it rather than face the shame and guilt of what they've caused. It's even better when the kid gets a mad-looking helmet with electrodes coming out of it -- because it just simply couldn't be their fault if there's electrodes involved.

I recommend a book by David M. Allen entitled "How dysfunctional families spur mental disorders".
    This is the most righteous post that I have read of yours, FK. Right-on here, brother...!!! I agree with you 100% (for once) here. I read somewhere that Big Pharma actually created Ritalin before the disease ADHD was diagnosed. The article basically suggested that Big Pharma had this drug, so in collaboration with their medical cronies, they created a disease which they could treat with their new drug. I don't know how true this is, but I wouldn't put it past those two.

If ADHD really exists, I am the "poster-boy" for the affliction. I remember nearly 30 years ago when this illness was first diagnosed, and I was reading in JAMA about it; I had all the classic symptoms (and I still have them).

ADHD plays right into the modern age where everybody is sick or suffering from something, or they have been molested as a child or sexually assaulted as an adult... WTF...
    Fluidic Kimbo likes this.

wango is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 99JT View Post
    I'm 33 and have struggled with so much stuff my entire life and never realized it was an issue until some life changes made it worse and I started talking to people about it and someone I know with ADHD pointed it out because he noticed some signs.

I've got an appointment for an evaluation that's a month out just looking for any advice from anyone who's been through something like this.
    It’s a struggle to keep focused and persevere. Started doing Prozac successfully in my 40’s as it relieved some anxiety, gave me a small bit of calmness & a little more focus at the tasks at hand. Even the smallest of changes were appreciated.

It’s a real thing, but in the school system the diagnosis is over used imo, often times to give a student an advantage academically.

Good luck as you investigate this further. But, remember, the more you think about it, the more you add to the problem.
    XnavyHMCS likes this.

99JT is offline Member
    I agree that it's a real thing but it is over diagnosed, some of the "issues" I have I feel are my choice and it's a positive thing, it's the few things I that effect my life negativity I need to fix.

I agree that it's a real thing but it is over diagnosed, some of the "issues" I have I feel are my choice and it's a positive thing, it's the few things I that effect my life negativity I need to fix.
    I wouldn't accept a diagnosis of ADHD until after trying meditating. I would say that more than half of the people who are diagnosed with ADHD can achieve at least average attention span by meditating.

Fresh2death is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluidic Kimbo View Post

Totally agree. This is how I've felt about this issue for quite some time
    Fluidic Kimbo likes this.

I agree 100 percent. It’s those few things though that can really mess things up sometimes and it’s a shame if they really ruin someone’s quality of life.

Just like certain issues/problems are misdiagnosed or over diagnosed; medications are just the same. However the right meds for the right diagnosis can really do wonders and allow a person to enjoy their life to its fullest.

It seems like you know yourself and are going in with an open mind. Good luck with your search for an answer.
    Last edited by wango; 01-28-2023 at 09:27 AM.

As far as a guaranteed cure for ADHD, I'm not 100% convinced on going the prescription medication route. My father, this guy could've made a million, he had a cure for ADHD; he took his belt off. Yep, you older hands here fully understand what I am talking about. It was a miracle, a true "wonder drug", if there ever was one. He took that belt off, and my comportment changed instantaneously...

Unfortunately, nowadays, parents can't do that. Society doesn't allow a guiding father to be his own shaman, his own medicine man, in his own home...
    lovbyts likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by XnavyHMCS View Post
    As far as a guaranteed cure for ADHD, I'm not 100% convinced on going the prescription medication route. My father, this guy could've made a million, he had a cure for ADHD; he took his belt off. Yep, you older hands here fully understand what I am talking about. It was a miracle, a true "wonder drug", if there ever was one. He took that belt off, and my comportment changed instantaneously...

Unfortunately, nowadays, parents can't do that. Society doesn't allow a guiding father to be his own shaman, his own medicine man, in his own home...
    The OP’s issues could very well be something other than ADHD, so let’s wait for his evaluation & the MD’s recommendations.

Regarding corporal punishment at home, I’ve experienced and seen enough to convince me it’s a double edged sword. It might or can work or . . .
    XnavyHMCS likes this.

99JT is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wango View Post
    The OP’s issues could very well be something other than ADHD, so let’s wait for his evaluation & the MD’s recommendations.

Regarding corporal punishment at home, I’ve experienced and seen enough to convince me it’s a double edged sword. It might or can work or . . .
    After talking with a 20 year friend of mine who I've worked with for the past year about some issues he mentioned ADHD because he has it and had noticed a few things and honestly I have always like our minds are very similar. Once I started looking into it I realized I have nearly every symptom I read, and their things that people have noticed and said stuff to me about.

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    They treat that stuff with meds now.Back when I was growing up my father did it with a smack upside my head!
    Booz likes this.

After talking with a 20 year friend of mine who I've worked with for the past year about some issues he mentioned ADHD because he has it and had noticed a few things and honestly I have always like our minds are very similar. Once I started looking into it I realized I have nearly every symptom I read, and their things that people have noticed and said stuff to me about.
    As I said before, good luck with your quest to find a solution.

99JT is offline Member
    That's how my father was, I learned quickly and was always pretty good, got to see my older brothers get it enough. My life was pretty good growing up but having 2 older brother and a my dad was an electrical engineer I feel like I matured a lot quicker than others which caused social issues, I was kicked out of elementary school because I didn't get along with the other kids and would talk about stuff they didn't understand.

I have zero regret for my past just wanna be able to focus and be able to have a relationship

I bought a big psychology book about 7 years ago, the kind that's intended to be used by a person taking a psychology course in a university. When you open book and start reading from the start, straight away they say that it's normal for people to read about the diagnoses mentioned in the book and to start thinking they have this and that.

Hang on the book is available on line:
    https://zlibrary.to/pdfs/atkinson-hi...-to-psychology
    (You might have to click download 2 or 3 times to get around the spam and pop-up's but the download link does work)

If you got page 572, it has a page entitled, "Is ADHD overdiagnosed?"
    Test Monsterone likes this.

That's how my father was, I learned quickly and was always pretty good, got to see my older brothers get it enough. My life was pretty good growing up but having 2 older brother and a my dad was an electrical engineer I feel like I matured a lot quicker than others which caused social issues, I was kicked out of elementary school because I didn't get along with the other kids and would talk about stuff they didn't understand.

I have zero regret for my past just wanna be able to focus and be able to have a relationship
    I get it. I’d just precaution you to not be focused on one particular diagnosis or problem. Once your mind gets set on something it’s hard to redirect it.
    Test Monsterone likes this.

Fresh2death is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by songdog View Post
    They treat that stuff with meds now.Back when I was growing up my father did it with a smack upside my head!
    Mine was a belt "assume the position"

I don’t know if add/adhd is a disorder or just a type of personality. The fringe personalities could all be labeled a disorder, for all I know. Either way, whatever you want to call it, there definitely exist people with all types of issues and/or strengths. Sometimes I think the things that we feel are negative qualities could be some of our best qualities in the right situations.

Quote Originally Posted by wango View Post

I don't believe, after reading my quoted post, that I mentioned anything related to the OP, or his diagnosis. I simply commented on the treatment of such a disorder.

I related to the forum, my father's "treatment approach"; nothing more; along with an aside pertaining to societies current view on corporal punishment. I never said that I fully supported a heavy hand in the home. Like yourself (we are, for all intents and purposes, of the same generation), "I’ve experienced and seen enough to convince me it’s a double edged sword. It might or can work or . . .", and as a father of a son myself, I didn't practice that approach to disciplining my boy; I had likewise experienced enough.
    Last edited by XnavyHMCS; 01-28-2023 at 11:46 PM.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Everyone has ADHD. Best to learn how to concentrate.
    XnavyHMCS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    Everyone has ADHD. Best to learn how to concentrate.
    That totally covers the discussion.

Thread Closed
    lovbyts likes this.

99JT is offline Member
    I agree that we all have some type of ADHD and it's just because of our personalities, for me Its having a sever effect on my life.

I am getting evaluated in a few weeks to find out for sure.
    What's your guys opinion on something like Adderall or anything natural?

I agree that we all have some type of ADHD and it's just because of our personalities, for me Its having a sever effect on my life.

If I were you I'd find a meditation centre near me before I'd go taking pills for a disease I might not have.

Here's a few centres in the USA: https://www.dhamma.org/en-US/locations/directory#US

Its sort of sad, in the US you only have to visit a shrink 1x for 1hr to determine if you have ADHD and get a prescription for Adderall or whatever.

I actually did a 3 month study/evaluation for a new med about 15 years ago because I was off work at the time. 100% I have ADD, not ADHD but I was given the placebo during the study so it didnt make any difference. It was obvious at the time. After the study they gave me the real thing. Stupid me took it for the 1st time the 1st day of my new job hoping it would help me be more focused. OMG this stuff was like smoking crack (yes Ive tried it a few times) and I was panicking but held it together. I called them and told them WOW this is strong. They told me to break it in 1/2. It was still to strong.

Everyone reacts differently to stuff and I know they say with ADHD meds it may take a while to get use to them. I take generic Adderall now but only 1/2 of the prescription. I think it helps a little but mostly you just need to find what works for you.

Some people need background music (headphones) and some need dead silence. I need to multi task because my mind wanders to much otherwise. If I can focus on something else for a few seconds and go back to my main project Im good. My job is perfect for that. I have 4 computer monitors I have to watch with multiple screens on each monitor as well as 36 feet of screens on the front wall with multiple with over 60 screens/areas I have to watch. That being said If I have to read a actual book or manual I will re read the same line 3x and still dont know what it said. lol
    XnavyHMCS likes this.

Its sort of sad, in the US you only have to visit a shrink 1x for 1hr to determine if you have ADHD and get a prescription for Adderall or whatever.

I actually did a 3 month study/evaluation for a new med about 15 years ago because I was off work at the time. 100% I have ADD, not ADHD but I was given the placebo during the study so it didnt make any difference. It was obvious at the time. After the study they gave me the real thing. Stupid me took it for the 1st time the 1st day of my new job hoping it would help me be more focused. OMG this stuff was like smoking crack (yes Ive tried it a few times) and I was panicking but held it together. I called them and told them WOW this is strong. They told me to break it in 1/2. It was still to strong.

Everyone reacts differently to stuff and I know they say with ADHD meds it may take a while to get use to them. I take generic Adderall now but only 1/2 of the prescription. I think it helps a little but mostly you just need to find what works for you.

Some people need background music (headphones) and some need dead silence. I need to multi task because my mind wanders to much otherwise. If I can focus on something else for a few seconds and go back to my main project Im good. My job is perfect for that. I have 4 computer monitors I have to watch with multiple screens on each monitor as well as 36 feet of screens on the front wall with multiple with over 60 screens/areas I have to watch. That being said If I have to read a actual book or manual I will re read the same line 3x and still dont know what it said. lol
    So byts, what are you doing for a living; reviewing porn films or something? I mean, with all of those screens...

Just a joke, brother.
    lovbyts likes this.

So byts, what are you doing for a living; reviewing porn films or something? I mean, with all of those screens...

Just a joke, brother.
    No word of a lie, about 7 years ago I had a friend in Ireland who worked for a company called Mind Freaks. His job was to watch internet pornography all day in order to censor videos, for example if there was any faeces in it he would have to remove it.

Just a joke, brother.
    I wish I got paid to do that. Is that a real job???? Ive been doing it for years for free.

I'm pretty much doing (I never learn) exactly what I said I never wanted to do 15+ years ago. Working with routers mostly. I'm in Satellite communications and actually get to steer the beams on the satellites over the Pacific, Atlantic and Indian Ocean. There is a bit more to it but I'm not allowed to go into that.

Not me in the picture but this is our work place before we remolded with more screens. lol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BBSN NOC.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	9.1 KB 
ID:	182371
    Last edited by lovbyts; 02-05-2023 at 04:26 AM.
    XnavyHMCS and Test Monsterone like this.

I wish I got paid to do that. Is that a real job???? Ive been doing it for years for free.

I'm pretty much doing (I never learn) exactly what I said I never wanted to do 15+ years ago. Working with routers mostly. I'm in Satellite communications and actually get to steer the beams on the satellites over the Pacific, Atlantic and Indian Ocean. There is a bit more to it but I'm not allowed to go into that.

Not me in the picture but this is our work place before we remolded with more screens. lol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BBSN NOC.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	9.1 KB 
ID:	182371
    Super job, brother.

I been doing the same reviews of porn, like yourself, and if it isn't a job; it should be.
    lovbyts likes this.

Super job, brother.

I been doing the same reviews of porn, like yourself, and if it isn't a job; it should be.
    Yeah like every job it has its pros and cons. I had always been a hands on type person even when I made the switch from Manual labor (cutting wood, doing drywall/construction, automotive rebuilding engines, auto-body/paint) and got into computers I liked building them, repairing, racking/stacking & cabling high end servers (Microsoft Data Center) doing IT and eventually here 15 years ago. Problem is this job is sitting on my ass for 12 hrs a day. Up side is its usually 10hrs of surfing a night so I do a bit of researching and shopping. lol

Now you know why I have such a high post count. lol My biggest problem is Ive done so many different things (careers) in my life and like most everything high tech its a forever changing world and I have to continually learn pieces of new technology.

Some people think I should be an expert on what we do but I remind them that what we do now has very little to do with what we did just a few years ago or at least how we do it. My brain gets over loaded and stuff keeps leaking out. lol In all honesty its true, more than once I have been on here researching something I had a question about and Ill read a post and think to myself thats some good information and not badly written only to realize I wrote it several years ago. funny but sad. lol

Best part is Im most likely going to be able to fake my way through it for another 2 years and retire.
    Last edited by lovbyts; 02-05-2023 at 10:15 PM.
    Test Monsterone and XnavyHMCS like this.

Yeah like ever job it has its pros and cons. I had always been a hands on type person even when I made the switch from Manual labor (cutting wood, doing drywall/construction, automotive rebuilding engines, autobody/paint) and got into computers I liked building them, repairing, racking/stacking & cabling high end servers (Microsoft Data Center) doing IT and eventually here 15 years ago. Problem is this job is sitting on my ass for 12 hrs a day. Up side is its usually 10hrs of surfing a night so I do a bit of researching and shopping. lol

Now you know why I have such a high post count. lol My biggest problem is Ive done so many different things (careers) in my life and like most everything high tech its a forever changing world and I have to continually learn pieces of new technology.

Some people think I should be an expert on what we do but I remind them that what we do now has very little to do with what we did just a few years ago or at least how we do it. My brain gets over loaded and stuff keeps leaking out. lol In all honesty its true, more than once I have been on here researching something I had a question about and Ill read a post and think to myself thats some good information and not badly written only to realize I wrote it several years ago. funny but sad. lol

Best part is Im most likely going to be able to fake my way through it for another 2 years and retire.
    I can relate. I went to school for business but was always more hands on and into tech. I tried learning front end web development on my own but got tired of the constantly changing packets/plugins/etc. I’d learn one thing, then a couple of months later that code library was deprecated and I’d have to learn the new one. I also didn’t have enough attention span to parse the code for every little error. So now I’ve been learning IT/network admin stuff hoping to get into cybersecurity later. It’s much more palatable, logical, and lasting than coding.
    lovbyts likes this.

Thread Information