BimBamBoom is offline Associate Member

Lightbulb Blind while day dreaming.

I was thinking the other day ( I think too much ) about how when I day dream although my eyes are wide open I don't see what is in front of me, but instead I can focus on what it is I am thinking about. So in other words I can sorta voluntarily "stop" seeing with my eyes, I can sort of shut off that mechanism in my brain that allows me to see. ( I know I'm probably not making much sense here, I'm just saying it here because I cant get weird/confused faces over a computer, haha.)
    Also when day dreaming if I'm really deep into whatever it is im daydreaming about I will also block out sound. Whenever someone is talking to me when I daydream it will take a few words before they knock me out of it and I pay attention.
    My whole attraction to this nonsense ( or what might seem like nonsense ) is the human ability to manipulate what parts of our brain we use but not actually know how to fully use that ability.

Has anyone had similar observations that they can share? ( if you even understood what the hell I am talking about )

ripped4fsu is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm sorry, what were you saying?!

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Yeah bro, i do the same thing.

lloyd_cannon is offline Associate Member
    who doesnt when my mom starts nagging I instantly day dream i have very good control over what I hear or dont hear!

big daddy k de is offline Senior Member
    Hummmmm might be A.D.D

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

i do the same exact thing

why is that not normal?i have thougth about that b4 also.i will get in the car, start driving, day dream and not joke wind up where i was driving to and be like, "how the fuck did i get here?!!"shit now you have me worried i'm a freak!!

punk_bbuilder is offline Senior Member
    Its another mystery of the brain. This organ is still a mystery to many scientists. Someday maybe we will be able to figure it out but not at this point. More than likely when your day dreaming your using different visual centers in the brain. Once these centers are accessed other areas become less important and will be the priority. Ie. Sound, actual vision. IM sure MRI's, neurologists etc... will be able to tell us more but im not sure of the research done in this area of the human physce. I know exactly what is going on though i do it everyday thru class.

I pointed it at as more of a observation of how there are certain parts of our brain that we don't voluntarily use but probably could.

I know exactly what you are talking about the driving thing. It happens more particularly on routes that you are used to, they are so etched in your brain that you can basically read a magazine while driving and get there safely.

My vision also goes to hell when I daydream and my brain zones out. It's like both my eyes completely lose focus.

Cool shit!

Red

Ever since this whole daydreaming thing has been fresh in my mind I think it doesn't happen anymore. Now that I am so aware about it I just automatically snap out of it. Sorta sucks, I kinda like it. Im sure it will come back or something.

SneakerSeven is offline Junior Member
    What you're describing is, in a way, self hypnosis. You're fully aware of your surroundings; if something were to come at you fast for example, you'd snap out of it instantly. But you're allowing your brain to filter out your sensory input that's not needed, and creating a "dream state", if you will.

Meditation is along the same lines, learning how to control your sensory input.

Thread Information