BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member

Anyone have experience with the GMC Envoy?

First of all, a serious thanks to all those who have chimed in on my other "i know nothing please help" car threads. To update you, I've elected to go with an SUV for a variety of reasons. The list has been narrowed to the Xterra, 2-door/detachable top Freelander, Explorer Sport Trac, Mitsubishi Outlander and Mitsubishi Endeavor. However, I've elected today to add the GMC Envoy (slightly used) to the list based on driving my uncle's rental version down in FL. I was only in it for a half hour or so, and would have "test driven" it a bit more, but it didn't occur to me until well after the fact that I'd like to consider on for myself. So, anyone have one or ridden in one for an extended period? Also, since the two mitsubishi models are fairly new additions, i'd appreciate some feedback there as well. This week is test drive week and then I suppose I'll buy in the next two weeks or so, so I really need to narrow this down....any help is greatly appreciated.

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    My bro has a denali, it's the same motor i think.. 6.0 (364ci). At 4000 miles the oil samples showed a large amount of bearing wear. I'm a GM fan, but at 4000 miles that shouldn't happen.

btrain is offline Junior Member
    my roommate has one and the headlight went out and a headlight cost around 700 because you have to buy the whole thing so pray the headlights dont go out.

ripsid is offline Senior Member
    My cousin has a Denali and they live in W. Pennsy. where it's very very hilly and snowwy, and they absolutely loved it! Envoy's are real nice but man they're over priced! new you can't find them for under 35 around here.

SID

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    The GMC Envoy are nice and I've ridden in one for about 6 hours straight very comfortably and I'm a tall one like yourself. As for $700 for a headlight.... I don't know where that guy shops at but he got ripped off. They are overpriced new but if you can get a good slightly used one I give 'em a thumbsup.

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by btrain
    my roommate has one and the headlight went out and a headlight cost around 700 because you have to buy the whole thing so pray the headlights dont go out.
    LOL does he need a bridge too?

As far as the Envoy goes, they're a decent vehicle but they're almost as overpriced as a $700 headlight.

I have to say that I'm somewhat surprised that the consensus seems to be that they're overpriced. While I wasn't looking at brand new, I thought that the slightly used ones I've come across were very reasonably priced. Maybe they depreciate quickly?

Maybe I'll have to take a closer look, but they appeared to me to be great values, having a number of great available options. But, I'll check them out in a little more detail.

chris1tr69 is offline Banned
    I hAd a denali and put like 50,000 miles on it with no problems so im not sure bout everyonjes else but i hear that envoys are great cars espically for there price you should think bout gettting one of tyhose i thinik

Quote Originally Posted by BigGreen
    I have to say that I'm somewhat surprised that the consensus seems to be that they're overpriced. While I wasn't looking at brand new, I thought that the slightly used ones I've come across were very reasonably priced. Maybe they depreciate quickly?
    Pretty much any common domestic vehicle will depreciate quickly. It the vehicle is in new condition and you're happy with the price, I'd say consider it. I prefer the Trailblazer.

Quote Originally Posted by EXCESS
    Pretty much any common domestic vehicle will depreciate quickly. It the vehicle is in new condition and you're happy with the price, I'd say consider it. I prefer the Trailblazer.
    Okay, that makes sense...i've spent all day looking and it does seem like domestics depreciate quickly. Why isn't that the case with something like a nissan maxima, which in my experience is just about as common as say, a taurus?

With regards to the trailblazer, what are the major differences between the envoy and the trailblazer that lead you to that conclusion? I sat in them both today (no time for a test drive) and they seemed comparable (or am i thinking of the regular blazer instead of the trailblazer?)

SilverSiR is offline Junior Member
    Im looking at one myself, right now GM is throwing lots of dealer discounts about 3-4gs per vehicle. They also have 0% financing and $1000 rebate to the customer, so if you can get $2000-$3000 extra off that is $3000-$4000 total and 0% financing which now makes it very appealing.

Im canadian so im talking CND prices.

mfenske is offline Member
    American Car, Truck, or SUV= P.O.S.

No resale, poor reliability, shotty craftmanship, and lack of refinement are the biggest ones I can think of. Don't give me the "You need to buy American" line either. Honda is assembled in Ohio, Nissan in Tennessee, and I think Toyota has a plant in like Alabama or something. I remember reading a report once that stated that those that were better educated tended to shy away from domestic vehicles. Come on BG you're a smart guy, make a smart choice. I say go with the Nissan Murano or Honda Pilot if you insistent on an SUV. Did you drive the Accord EX-V6 Coupe yet? 0-60 in 5.9 seconds. To all those that will flame back with my pro-import comments, this is just my opinion. Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mfenske
    Did you drive the Accord EX-V6 Coupe yet? 0-60 in 5.9 seconds. To all those that will flame back with my pro-import comments, this is just my opinion. Mark
    No, I haven't tried it yet, but i must fully admit to keeping it on the list, despite my SUV tendencies at the moment. Both that and the Nissan Altima 3.5L version remain choices for the time being. As much as I want space and such, these two vehicles (and i thank you for the honda input...otherwise it never would have crossed my mind) along with the WRX (which I can't fit in unfortunately) seem to be among the best performing vehicles on the planet dollar-for-dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by BigGreen
    With regards to the trailblazer, what are the major differences between the envoy and the trailblazer that lead you to that conclusion? I sat in them both today (no time for a test drive) and they seemed comparable (or am i thinking of the regular blazer instead of the trailblazer?)
    I like the Trailblazer for it's exterior. I like the more rugged Trailblazer look, although the Envoy has a slightly nicer interior. I believe they're the same under the hood - 4.2 litre, 6 cylinder inline (not a V6), which basically means it has power similar to a V8 but fuel efficiency of a 6. Front suspension is good, which gives it a decent turning radius. If you're using it mainly for onroad driving, I'd say its a good choice. If you're an off-roader keep in mind it doesn't have independant rear suspension, so the ride isn't as nice.

Exterior pictures...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone have experience with the GMC Envoy?-envoy.jpg   Anyone have experience with the GMC Envoy?-trailblazer.jpg  

I do like the exterior look of the trailblazer a bit more, and it would appear that if I go with the LTZ model, I'm essentially getting the interior of the Envoy and the exterior of the Trailblazer, which would be ideal. Come to think of it, what is the difference between the LTZ and the Envoy aside from the exterior? I don't see one.

Thread Information