BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member

Is anyone aware of an MP3 player for vehicles?

I'm aware that several in-dash CD players are designed specifically to play the MP3 format when put on to a CD - allowing for tracks approaching 100 as opposed to 20. However, what I'd like to know is if any company has produced an MP3 hard drive designed to either hook into a car's receiver as a CD changer might, or one that is the actual in-dash unit. What i'm thinking of is something like the iPod that would have an LCD dash readout. What I would like to do is take all of my MP3's and transfer them to an iPod like device either compatible with the in dash unit or being the actual in dash unit, so that every song I have is available at any time in my (future) car, without having to switch CD's, memory sticks, or what have you. I think this is actually a really good idea, though I'm shocked i've yet to come across one. I know that there are a number of A/V buffs on AR...have any of you heard of such a thing? I can't imagine that there is not a market for such a device.

redrock is offline Member
    I had a 40 gig nomad jukebox that I use. I use the cassette adapter. If you don't have an adapter. You can buy an FM modulator. The quality of sound would diminish slightly, but I think it's barely noticable. Let me find the link for those FM units.

Thanks for the links, it looks like that may be my best option. To be honest, I'm incredibly shocked that no one has come out with either an in-dash MP3 player or an MP3 external hard drive working through the exact same mechanism of a 10-disc changer, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BigGreen
    Thanks for the links, it looks like that may be my best option. To be honest, I'm incredibly shocked that no one has come out with either an in-dash MP3 player or an MP3 external hard drive working through the exact same mechanism of a 10-disc changer, etc.
    I agree, but essentially, that's what your iPod, Nomad and the rest are. I don't think they could make a HD based unit that somehow plugged into the unit. It would be like carrying around a HD. You'd need a case on it.

In my opinion, the best thing to do would be to find a Head Unit with a line-IN option. Your Nomad, or Zen or iPod will have a Line-OUT. With that, you would get even better sound than the FM or the cassette adapter. REDROCK

I wonder if I could go to some custom auto place that would somehow get an iPod wired up to the car stereo and, if not in-dash, then create some kind of recepticle for it?

I wonder if I could go to some custom auto place that would somehow get an iPod wired up to the car stereo and, if not in-dash, then create some kind of recepticle for it?
    Most aftermarket head units will have AUX outs. This could be use and they could rig up something fairly easy.

Do you have an iPod already? I see you have been looking at a new car and I don't think you would really want to modify the dash too much just to fit a mp3 player. What happens if you decide to switch players?

I know this is country, but I just keep my nomad in my center console or in my lap if I am changing songs.

I have an iPod for windows now (10GB i think) and also have my desktop aux'ed out to my living room stereo, so I have constant access to a few thousand tunes...I can't stand the idea of then getting into my (future) car and instantly having my musical options cut down considerably....I'd consider XM radio, but really dont' know much about it and would prefer to have access to my music in the way that I have it organized.

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    There are a shit load out there. Some you can take out and put on a download cradle and attach to your comp. Download like 40 gigs of music and then put it back in your car. I dont have the time or patience to paste the sites. But YES they have them and some are pretty bitchen for a good price.
    The standard commercial market is still SO FAR behind.
    Just like with cell phones. People still buy those CHEAP ASS black text phones when they have some BITCHEN FULL COLOR phones. I dont get it....

I have an iPod for windows now (10GB i think) and also have my desktop aux'ed out to my living room stereo, so I have constant access to a few thousand tunes...I can't stand the idea of then getting into my (future) car and instantly having my musical options cut down considerably....I'd consider XM radio, but really dont' know much about it and would prefer to have access to my music in the way that I have it organized.
    I agree 100%. When you go from walking around with a CD player with 12-20 songs and go to a Nomad Jukebox with 40gigs. I just couldn't go back. I have a factory installed 5 disc changer in my truck, but I always end up not wanting to listen to any of them.

Having my entire cd collection AND every bootleg, live or rare mp3 I have ever downloaded on a MP3 player the size of a discman is a plus. Are you planning on sticking with the 10gig or plan to upgrade? RR

Right now 10gig is doing the job, but if i'm not mistaken if i were to upload the songs I've downloaded over the last month or so it'd put me over the top...so I plan on moving on up

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    BigGreen - Here it is bro, the Neo Car Jukebox... works kinda like a CD changer, has RCA outs to your head unit. Looks pretty bad ass to me, theres 20, 40, 80, and 120 gig models. You can pull the unit out like a cd cartridge and pop it in your home docking station for your stereo or to edit the songs. Check it out:

http://www.ssiamerica.com/products/neo35/index.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by AandF6969
    BigGreen - Here it is bro, the Neo Car Jukebox... works kinda like a CD changer, has RCA outs to your head unit. Looks pretty bad ass to me, theres 20, 40, 80, and 120 gig models. You can pull the unit out like a cd cartridge and pop it in your home docking station for your stereo or to edit the songs. Check it out:

http://www.ssiamerica.com/products/neo35/index.shtml
    AWESOME!!! I am too dead tired to look it all over now, but that is EXACTLY what i suspected someone had to be making/producing/selling!! Thanks for the hook-up on that one.

mammoth is offline Member
    Or you could check out Kenwood's solution....
    http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/re...oductId%3D2474

I am not a fan of Kenwood personally, but at least they make relaible equipment.

Thread Information