PTbyJason is offline Retired Admin

Schwarzenegger running in Calif.

Source: http://www.msnbc.com/news/945950.asp?0cv=CA01

Arnold Schwarzenegger told "Tonight" show host Jay Leno that the decision was his toughest since he decided to get a bikini wax in 1978.

LOS ANGELES, Aug. 6 — Actor Arnold Schwarzenegger terminated the suspense Wednesday night by declaring that he would challenge Gov. Gray Davis in the Oct. 7 recall election, immediately becoming the most prominent opponent of the embattled Democrat.

SCHWARZENEGGER, 56, a self-styled moderate Republican who was born and raised in Austria before becoming a champion bodybuilder and top-drawer Hollywood star, announced his decision in an appearance on NBC’s “Tonight” show.

“I decided that California is in a disastrous situation right now,” Schwarzenegger, the husband of NBC News correspondent Maria Shriver and star of such blockbusters as “The Terminator” movies, “Conan the Barbarian” and “Total Recall,” told “Tonight” host Jay Leno. “... The atmosphere is disastrous. There is a total disconnect between the people of California and politicians.”

“The politicians are fiddling, fumbling and failing,” he said. “And the man failing more than anyone is Gray Davis. He is failing them terribly, and this is why he needs to be recalled, and this is why I am going to run for governor.”

Schwarzenegger’s decision shocked political observers who had reported for more than two weeks that he would announce that he was not running in a race for which almost 400 people have filed papers declaring their intentions to compete. Earlier in the day, in fact, NBC News reported that friends reiterated that he would announce on “Tonight” that he was not going to run.

FEINSTEIN OUT; HUFFINGTON IN

Another prominent would-be contender, however, Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein, announced Wednesday that she was staying on the sidelines.

In a statement, Feinstein said that “after thinking a great deal about this recall, its implications for the future, and its misguided nature,” she would not place her name on the ballot.

Having earlier indicated that she did not intend to run, Feinstein said Davis should be given the chance to finish his second term, which he won in November.

“Sadly, the state is ... going to be engaged in an election that is becoming more and more like a carnival every day,” Feinstein said. “With a decade of experience in the U.S. Senate, I believe I can be most helpful to California as its senior senator.”

Several Democrats had publicly urged her to run, saying the party needed a fallback candidate in case Davis lost his job. Some polls show that Davis would lose the recall if the election were held now, regardless of the other candidates in the field.

Feinstein tops opinion polls as the state’s most popular politician, and many analysts believed that if she had run, Davis’ chances of survival would have fallen.

But commentator Arianna Huffington announced Wednesday that she would make the race as an independent. In appearances on NBC’s “Today” show and on MSNBC, she said she would run as an independent and would seek to galvanize “people who have given up on politics.”

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    Schwarzenegger is at a distinct advantage in this situation, as a recall election does not allow for extensive and meticulously planned campaigning. As a result, such situations (whether it be a recall or an emergency election such as in the death of an elected public servant in which there is not contingency position) result in an environment in which the biggest "name" on the ballot is normally the winner. I believe he will undoubtedly be CA's next governor.

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    YEAH BABY, MAYBE HE'LL HELP MAKE JUICE LEGAL!!!

Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Terinox
    YEAH BABY, MAYBE HE'LL HELP MAKE JUICE LEGAL!!!

Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!
    LMAO, if that happens, everyone I know at the gym and on this board will be relocating to CA very soon.

California - The juice capital of the US. LOL

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    Question to Arnold know-it-alls: What has Arnold ever said about past steroid use ? Has he ever talked about it? I'm just curious what the other candidates are going to use against him. They'll definitely use movie violence and his nude scene in the Terminator movies against him, although I don't think that will be a big factor.

wrstlr69sdnl is offline Senior Member
    Go Arnold he has my vote make gear legal ARNY YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by EXCESS
    Question to Arnold know-it-alls: What has Arnold ever said about past steroid use? Has he ever talked about it? I'm just curious what the other candidates are going to use against him. They'll definitely use movie violence and his nude scene in the Terminator movies against him, although I don't think that will be a big factor.
    He smoked pot at the end of Pumping Iron.

gunner27 is offline Junior Member
    Question to Arnold know-it-alls: What has Arnold ever said about past steroid use? Has he ever talked about it? I'm just curious what the other candidates are going to use against him. They'll definitely use movie violence and his nude scene in the Terminator movies against him, although I don't think that will be a big factor.
    It came up when President Bush (the first) appointed him to the President's Council on Physical Fitness in the early 90s. He admitted in a U.S. News interview to doind dbol , but said he wouldn't recommend it to athletes today. Also, earlier editions of his bodybuilding guide have discussed steroid use generally, but more recent editions have been anti-steroid .

LORDBLiTZ Guest

WHOOOOAAAAA, hold on people!!! Gary Coleman is also running for governor. Looks like Arnold has a race ahead of him!

Catamount is offline Associate Member
    Arnold won't win because Larry Flynt is running, hahaha

righton is offline Senior Member
    WHOOOOAAAAA, hold on people!!! Gary Coleman is also running for governor. Looks like Arnold has a race ahead of him!
    Wasn't that Gary Coleman that he picked up by the suspenders in T2? lol

punk_bbuilder is offline Senior Member
    Go Schwarzenegger!!! The Oak will pull thru like he always does and win this election. After this ARNOLD for PRESIDENT....that would make our country a better place. (remember in Demolition man stallone mentions the Schwarzeneger library, In that movie they said that Arnold was pres. Damn i wish it would happen) Anway if he wins im moving to California.

Butch is offline Anabolic Member
    A newspaper in Oakland paid for the fee and got the signatures for Gary Coleman to run...Gary said he will not campaign and does not intend to run...he was just thrilled to be on the ballot...the newspaper or radio station is behind it all

As far as Arnold running....I seriosuly think he is the best cnadidate with valid proposals. Larry Flynnt is just doing it to legalize more gambling. Our state is in some serious turmoils right now. A recent finding was released yesterday stating that 755,000 people left CA last year. The three main states that Californians went to were Arizona, Nevada and Texas. Everyone is leaving CA. The illigal immigarstions is way out of hand here. Jobs are dropping and companies are levaing in the bulk load. Someone has to put a stop to it. And that piece of shit Davis only made it worst. When that piece of shit got into office CA actually had a surplus of money...he spent it on stupid shit and then proceeded to keep spending until he dug himself into a deep ass hole.

I hate to say this cause I have lived here all my life...but if this continues I am leaving here to. I am not saying this in a racist way but CA should just be handed to Mexico and America should cut our losses with this state. If another Democrat is elected we are FUCKED!!!! They have been trying so hard these past few decades to distroy this state. They don't give a fuck that business is leaving here. They just don't care about anything except themselves and getting reelected.

Sorry for rambling on...I have serious issues about this subject. I could go on for days. I apologize if I offened anyone...I was not trying to. I love this state and I want to see it survive. So I am fully behind Arnold because I feel he is the last shot we have! Thank you for letting me ramble!

Quote Originally Posted by punk_bbuilder
    After this ARNOLD for PRESIDENT....that would make our country a better place.
    He's ineligible for presidency because he's not a natural born American. I'm sure if it was allowed he would put up quite a challenge.

Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    All Cali AR members MUST vote for the Ausi Oak or be permanently banned from AR, and your little dogs too!

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Lmao!!

Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    Truth is that in about 2.5 terms as Gov of cali - he would be a GREAT pres candidate but as is stated, he is not a native and the presidency is the ONLY position in the US that requires it.

tolinka is offline Senior Member
    This whole thing reminds me of a part in the movie Demolition Man. When Stalone woke up and was in the car with Sandra Bullock, she said something about Arnolds liibrary, and then how he was the president and all...this is some trippy shit.

Hahahahaha, fucken A! Well that sucks he can't be prez, but maybe he can get high up there Congress or some shit, I got no idea how U.S. gov. workds.

BUT HEH, maybe he can be Canada's Prime Minister!!! Or does Canada have that same stupid rule?

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    He's ineligible for presidency because he's not a natural born American. I'm sure if it was allowed he would put up quite a challenge.
    after governer, maybe he'll run for senator, then get a bill going to amend the constitution...=)

anyways, woo woo...arnold is like my idol...true american success story! that and i wanna look like him...=P

-- clocky baby

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Terinox
    Hahahahaha, fucken A! Well that sucks he can't be prez, but maybe he can get high up there Congress or some shit, I got no idea how U.S. gov. workds.

BUT HEH, maybe he can be Canada's Prime Minister!!! Or does Canada have that same stupid rule?
    Canada's stupid rule is, you have to speak both french and english.

caturpilar is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CYCLEON
    All Cali AR members MUST vote for the Ausi Oak or be permanently banned from AR, and your little dogs too!
    No doubt!, but I hardly believe that any AR members will not.

Quote Originally Posted by LORDBLiTZ
    Canada's stupid rule is, you have to speak both french and english.

Shit man I forgot all about that fucked up rule! Hahahaha! Fuck that shit, Prime Minister is definetly not for me!

Thread Information