redrock is offline Member

How much to tip tattoo artist?

I'm getting a tattoo on monday, probably around $300. How much do I tip? Thanks

up to the top, i know lots of you guys have ink...

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Everytime I go I give between $40 and $50 buck tip. I do this even if it's more than 1 sitting. Like the one on my back I gave him almost $100 extra.

You find a good artist keep him/her happy and they will take care of you.

FrkyBgStok is offline Senior Member
    i go to the same artist everytime now, and i always tip him good, so when i go in, i am his first priority. However i am not saying you need to tip your artist. If you like his work, give him 10-20% at least, whatever you think. If it sucks, fuck him.

sin
    sin is offline Senior Member
    last time i gave about 40.00 each session. but he was a friend and gave it to me pretty cheap. but i would say 20.00 per session is cool.

FrkyBgStok is offline Senior Member
    i disagree with the above statement. bro, a $300 tattoo is going to last about 2-3 hours (normally, mine was 4 hours). Would you want to sit there for 4 hours and get the same tip as sitting there for 1/2 hour tattooing someone else. I wouldn't tip for a session unless there are multiple sessions. I would go off the final price.

BimBamBoom is offline Associate Member
    One of my tattoos which I got on my chest, yes chest,( I don't know what I was thinking ) didn't exactly come out beautiful. I didn't tip the $%^er anything. I was VERY upset, needless to say. I just walked out. Luckily Its just bad lines so I can fix it but haven't been up to it just yet. Get the tattoo first and determine the tip from there.

well, i'm going in tomorrow, depending on the final price, i'll tip around $40. How long can a session go before you
    have to stop and come back to get it finished?

Also, how long do they take to heal? Redrock(soon to be inked)

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    if she's cute, give her >your< tip...=)

sorry i don't have any valuable input to give you...

-- cb

Quote Originally Posted by clockworks
    if she's cute, give her >your< tip...=)

sorry i don't have any valuable input to give you...

-- cb
    That's ok, needed a bump, i know lots of AR people have ink, maybe I should post a new thread with a new question as the title. Anyone, Beuler? Beuler?

durbin22 is offline Member
    It takes about 7-10 days to heal.

Quote Originally Posted by redrock
    well, i'm going in tomorrow, depending on the final price, i'll tip around $40. How long can a session go before you
    have to stop and come back to get it finished?

Also, how long do they take to heal? Redrock(soon to be inked)
    It depends on the artist and how long they want to work. The one on my back was 2 sittings and I say they were about 3.5 hours long each. The second sitting was 2 weeks later.

Thanks Mudman and Durbin, i'm gonna post pics of it when I get back today. RR

Cool.... good luck and have fun! It's very addictive and cool experience.

Strut99GT is offline Member
    I think the general rule is restaurant-style, about 15% of the cost of the Tattoo.

ripsid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMudMan
    It depends on the artist and how long they want to work. The one on my back was 2 sittings and I say they were about 3.5 hours long each. The second sitting was 2 weeks later.
    OK Mud don't hold back if your guy does great work you gots to hook me! I have cover up and a 3/4 sleeve that needs to be done! I actually want to do the cover up into a 1/2 or 3/4 sleeve. My wife wants my ex's name off my arm so I said ok only if I can get lots of flames, skulls, and 1/2 or 3/4 she's like hell yeah! She wants me to get a flame wrist band, but I don't know if that would be good when I go on site for business. Hell they stare at me when they see the ones I have, don't want the customer to be disrespected you know. Anyways hook a bro up!

SID

Quote Originally Posted by ripsid
    OK Mud don't hold back if your guy does great work you gots to hook me! I have cover up and a 3/4 sleeve that needs to be done! I actually want to do the cover up into a 1/2 or 3/4 sleeve. My wife wants my ex's name off my arm so I said ok only if I can get lots of flames, skulls, and 1/2 or 3/4 she's like hell yeah! She wants me to get a flame wrist band, but I don't know if that would be good when I go on site for business. Hell they stare at me when they see the ones I have, don't want the customer to be disrespected you know. Anyways hook a bro up!

SID
    Hey Sid how's it going over there? This guy is great. Here's one he did freehanded on my back. He's great and has done all my tatts. His name is Shane O'Neil from studio1 out where I live.

You're right about the image thing for work. I keep everything where I can hide them. I wish I could do a sleve.... My brother has a full sleve on his left arem and on his right leg done by the same guy I use and it look cool.
    Last edited by TheMudMan; 08-11-2003 at 05:44 PM.

BDTR is offline Retired
    I get all my work for free, my artist is a good friend of mine. I do however tip him 100 bucks for big sessions.

I'd say 40 is a good tip for a decent size piece.

Quote Originally Posted by bdtr
    I get all my work for free, my artist is a good friend of mine. I do however tip him 100 bucks for big sessions.

I'd say 40 is a good tip for a decent size piece.
    You're luck bro...... These things are very adictive and expensive. If I could get mine for free oh man...... My screen name would be TheInkMan

durbin22 is offline Member
    You're luck bro...... These things are very adictive and expensive. If I could get mine for free oh man...... My screen name would be TheInkMan
    I know what you mean about being addictive. I just got a new one this past weekend. I plan to add to the one on my shoulder, have the one on my arm touched up and get a big one on my back then that should be it. If I only had the extra money.

Catamount is offline Associate Member
    oppps....didn't know I was suppose to tip....never thought I was supposed to tip someone that was jabbing needles in my shoulder.

BDTR is offline Retired
    haha yeah, thats why i get tattooed once every other week. My artist is my girlfriends brother, so im in for life.

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator
    I have never seen any tatty like that before! F'ing nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Money Boss Hustla
    I have never seen any tatty like that before! F'ing nice!
    Thanks Money....... It all came from my little mind

FRANK WHITE is offline Senior Member
    I always tipped my dude anywhere from 40-60 dollars depending on how large the piece was.

jammergsxr is offline Member
    I have to jump in here,I am a former tattoo artist and you guys tip WAY to much.Believe me these artist don't have shit in the equipment and make on average 100.00-200.00 per hour and your gonna hand him an x-tra 50.00?If he gives you a good price and you KNOW it's a good price,hook the dude up if he is high priced to begin with,fuck his tip he made enough.

someday is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammergsxr
    I have to jump in here,I am a former tattoo artist and you guys tip WAY to much.Believe me these artist don't have shit in the equipment and make on average 100.00-200.00 per hour and your gonna hand him an x-tra 50.00?If he gives you a good price and you KNOW it's a good price,hook the dude up if he is high priced to begin with,fuck his tip he made enough.
    I think im gonna quite school and learn the art of tattooing....my place will read "Drunks Only", that way they cant get mad when they learn i have no artistic ability...

Thread Information