Terinox is offline The One & Only

1997 Saturn SC1 *VS* 1993 Eagle Talon ES

Alright, I don't know what the fuck I'm even asking here okay.

I have a 1997 Saturn SC1, which is a decent car. It is dark dark green, and has about 115,000km on it. I only use it to go to university and back (except summer time). I have enjoyed the car. Crashed into the back of a lady last year, but mechanic did great job of making it look "okay" (not like new though) for a VERY cheap price.

However, now I have a chance to get a 1993 Eagle Talon ES, now that is a downgrade by 4 years. However, this car seems quite exceptional even though it is old. It has about 120,000km on it (which is rare, I'm wondering if the dash has been tampered with), it's very clean on the outside (looked very clean), and everything seemed to work great, inside the car, and it's fully loaded. P/W, P/L, P/S, sunroof, A/C, the whole 9 yards. I threw it on the highway, drove it at about 140-150km, and it hit it easy, and it ran smooth, and handled like a charm.

Only problem, the system sucks, cassette/radio, and it was bought at an auction, so I'm not 100% sure what it's all about, but it is cheap, under $4k. Now, I must also add, that I am OBSESSED with Eagle Talon's though. I am dying to get a 1995+ (because '94 model and down have complete different look). However, Talon's are very hard to find, and the good condition ones are all either far too expensive ($5000 and up - which I can't afford), or are in shitty condition, almost dead.

So I just wanted some opinions, do people here own Talon's? How have you found them to be? Does this sound like a good switch to do? Anything I should know about?

P.S; The Saturn is manual, the Talon is auto.

Thnx
    T.

ANY kinds of comments are welcome, hell, if you wanna talk about your bad hair day, go ahead

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Is the ES AWD?

Quote Originally Posted by LORDBLiTZ
    Is the ES AWD?
    I'm pretty sure this car is NOT all wheel drive.

caturpilar is offline Associate Member
    My buddy had a 95 talon with a 5 speed and I loved driving it. Another friend of mine had a 91 talon, a little different but still a great car. Hard decision, cause your saturn seem reliable, but shit you only live once and you probably regret not jumping on this price. Have a mechanic check it out, usually its fairly cheap to do. But all in all the only problems I've heard is that they can be too much to handle at times I say go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by caturpilar
    My buddy had a 95 talon with a 5 speed and I loved driving it. Another friend of mine had a 91 talon, a little different but still a great car. Hard decision, cause your saturn seem reliable, but shit you only live once and you probably regret not jumping on this price. Have a mechanic check it out, usually its fairly cheap to do. But all in all the only problems I've heard is that they can be too much to handle at times I say go for it.
    LOL! Thanks bro, that's exactly what I wanted to hear I think you got a good point, it seemed to handle very well, and it was very comfortable. I should add something else, my family is involved in the car business, and when even they can't find a good Talon for a long time, it's a sign that they don't come around very often. My uncle is one of the best car buyers in Toronto area, from auctions, and if he picked this car out, then I'm pretty sure it's gotta be in quite good shape. I think i'm gonna try my best to switch it, and take the Talon. Plus, the Saturn SC1 I should hadd has NOTHING, no P/L, P/W, nada.

Talon would maybe need some work though, I would have to install a new system (mp3 player), plus maybe an alarm/keyless entry, but those together shouldn't even cost more then about $500 bux (Canadian).

MORE OPINIONS/SUGGESTIONS/IDEAS/FLAMES PLEASE.

Ya you don't see em around alot any more. But I like em, someday they will be like the '95 impalas, hard to get. why not go to the states, and buy the system, isn't it like 500 bucks = 300 here?

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Teri, if you do get it, make sure you have the timing belt changed. I've worked on these toilets before. The motors are ok but the trans suck. In 95 they changed the trans case to fix bearing problems. The auto aint bad but the 5 speed eats 2nd and 3rd gear like no tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by LORDBLiTZ
    Teri, if you do get it, make sure you have the timing belt changed. I've worked on these toilets before. The motors are ok but the trans suck. In 95 they changed the trans case to fix bearing problems. The auto aint bad but the 5 speed eats 2nd and 3rd gear like no tomorrow.
    I have never worked on these, I stick to 90 and earlier so lordblitz sounds like he knows what he is talking about, definitly have those checked out.

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator
    4 cyl turbo with 120K...I'd pass. Sounds like it was run through an auction to get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Money Boss Hustla
    4 cyl turbo with 120K...I'd pass. Sounds like it was run through an auction to get rid of it.
    Well see that's the thing that I'm not sure about. I know for a fact there are many cars that will have low milage, even if they are old. Depends on the previous owner and what they used the car for. This car has been kept in great shape, no rust, and it's original paint, with just slight scratches on the driver side (which isn't too noticable). I'm guessing it was owned by a woman, cuz it's in damn good shape.

Milage being pulled back is one thing I am worried about, whoever, if the car is checked THOROUGHLY by a mechanic, and he says it's okay, wouldn't it be worth it? Plus, I think it's like $3850 Canadian, which is like $2250 U.S. or so.

Run a carfax report on it. I was going to buy this berretta from a guy once and the odometer said like 300,000 miles, this fuckin guy told me "oh thats not the original odometer, my guys had ro replace it with one from a junk yard." So I did a carfax on it and sure enough the thing had like 9 different owners and the had about 300,000 miles on it. So I told him and he was like uh, oh I didn't know. Ya, WTF ever. So do that, it only costs like 14 buck U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by caturpilar
    Run a carfax report on it. I was going to buy this berretta from a guy once and the odometer said like 300,000 miles, this fuckin guy told me "oh thats not the original odometer, my guys had ro replace it with one from a junk yard." So I did a carfax on it and sure enough the thing had like 9 different owners and the had about 300,000 miles on it. So I told him and he was like uh, oh I didn't know. Ya, WTF ever. So do that, it only costs like 14 buck U.S.
    I'll get my dad to do that. He's a dealer, pretty sure he can get it for free, or close to it, he's gonna ask around, check the purchase papers, and talk to my uncle who bought the car, get the mechanic to check it this week, and I'll see what happens

Thread Information