BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member

My Revised Car List After Extensive Test Driving (Feedback Appreciated)

Okay, this saga ends within two weeks....I PROMISE!!

Anyway, as I've mentioned to a few of you, i'm very oddly proportioned. At 6'3" and some change, I have an absurdly short inseam, to the point that I have the upper body of someone 6'6" or so. Being fairly broad shouldered does not help any either. In fact, the one expensive handmade suit i have, the tailor who made it told me I was the toughest tailoring job he'd ever had.

So, the bottom line of me telling you all of this is to let you know that I just don't fit very well into anything outside the luxury SUV/Sedan market. I fit just fine in an Infinite G35 or a Lincoln Navigator, but don't necessarily want to spend that kind of money. Additionally, for a variety of reasons I want the capabilities of an SUV'ish vehicle. As I've found in the last several days, most traditional SUV's, because of the concern for rollovers, sacrifice head room in order to have the entire chasis raised. As a result, there are very few traditional SUV's I fit into, and the more likely candidates have shifted towards hybrids. Currently, my top handful are as follows:

1. Subaru Forrester Turbo - This is the second fastest (stock) SUV on the planet...trailing only Doc M and his Porsche Cayenne, with the Porsche only fairing 0.3 seconds better in the quarter mile according to car and driver. The interior is very roomy, and it comes with a number of luxuries I'm impressed with in addition to AWD. The only real downside to this, and it's a fairly significant one, is the abysmally boring exterior...it's VERY plain for my liking.

2. Pontiac Vibe AWD - I'm as shocked as you that this made it to the list. It's not the best performance-wise, but pretty well loaded and still at a modest price, it comes equipped with some fantastic options (dvd navigation for one) and appears to be very, VERY versatile with regards to cargo space and seat configuration. Mileage is also incredibly better than most othe selections. The only real downside on this one is performance...room was far better than I ever would have anticipated.

3. Nissan Murano - CVT gives the thing an absolutely incredible ride. It's got some nice options, a nice look to it and it is from the nissan...of which my family has driven fairly exclusively. The only real downsides to this vehicle, aside from cost, is the fact that it looks a little too non-suv, ie, i can't quite picture strapping some bikes on top like i can with the above two vehicles.

4. GMC Envoy - I just make it in to this one, and as i've mentioned in another thread, I'm a big fan of several of its options, with the one downside being the iffy reputation of american made suv's...particularly the motors.

5. Honda Pilot - Great fit, great performance. An all around solid vehicle...the one downside is cost. Not so much the number, but the fact i'm paying for a lot i don't really need (third row seating, huge backseats, etc). It's more of a family suv, and i don't have a family.

Again, as always, any feedback on ANY of these vehicles is appreciated. I'm pretty sure that by the time i actually buy, i'll owe everyone on AR a ride. Nonetheless, you guys and girls have been very helpful thus far.

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGreen
    1. Subaru Forrester Turbo
    2. Pontiac Vibe AWD
    3. Nissan Murano
    4. GMC Envoy
    5. Honda Pilot
    If I had to reorganize that list in order of preference it would be as follows:

2. GMC Envoy
    3. Nissan Murano
    4. Honda Pilot
    5. Pontiac Vibe AWD

I wouldn't even consider the last 4 and 5. Honda has made some great cars, but I hate their SUV's. Pontiac Vibe? Since when did you become a single mom?

bobbo23 is offline Associate Member
    Murano's have a very cool look to them
    checkout www.edmunds.com for some more opinions.
    Last edited by bobbo23; 08-09-2003 at 09:03 PM.

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    ok here is my input

the subaru is a fine car but overpriced right now
    the vibe is over prived in comparrison to the toyota matrix and yet there the same car, the matrix would be a better choice since it has all the same options andd is a few thousand dollars cheaper. the honda is ok, the envoy would be top pick or a toyota martix xrs. the xrs model comes witha 180hp engine, racing suspension and slotted disk brakes.

so my list would go

1. tie between envoy and toyota martix ( sorry the vibe is out)
    2.nissan murano
    3.honda pilot
    4. subaru
    abstrack@protonmail.com

manijak is offline Associate Member
    how 'bout infinity FX 45? SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET

mfenske is offline Member
    BG, I must say that I like your list. I also fit in to the same boat as you. 6'5" and long in the torso. I hafta give the nod to the Subie. As far as I am concerned that would be a nearly ideal vehicle. The sleeper value on that one is awesome. If you do get it I beg you to get the manual tranny. As far as it being too boring, that's what rims, tires, and other accessories were made for. Plus, my personal favorite reason, for owning a suv/wagon. With no kids you have room for an obscenely large audio system. Have fun with whatever you buy. Mark

ECKO 747 is offline Associate Member
    What about the kia sorento, great SUV, great price, lots of room + options.

mass junkie is offline banned
    Nissan Murano is my choice...its a sweet looking ride

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator
    Honda. Quality, performance, price. Honda's have the highest resale value too!

You can never go wrong in buying a Honda. There's also the Acura MDX.

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    6'4" here and I coose the new 4runner limited over the honda pilot. Did you try one out.? They are super comfortable, much more horsepower and room this year.

Strut99GT is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGreen
    2. Pontiac Vibe AWD
    3. Nissan Murano
    4. GMC Envoy
    5. Honda Pilot
    LOL you're killin' me! What didn't you like about the Freelander again?
    You're going to have to make a choice eventually. The ones listed above all have different personalities, so they can't be "ranked" in order. If you want a stick and some speed, get the Subaru. If you want smooth refinement, get the Nissan Murano. If you want something larger with more room, get the Envoy. The Pilot and Vibe are out as far as I'm concerned.

I couldn't fit in the freelander to save my life. I was in love with the look and functions of the SE-3, but i needed to either ride in the backseat or have a whole and a little bubble of some sort put in the roof if i was going to drive it.

I think it's going to end up being the Murano to be honest with you. I'd have decided already, but with no job and school done, i really have nowhere to go, so I'm in no rush.

Forgot to mention, the Pilot is out, but I don't know why everyone's pissing on the Vibe...i dig that car! The one turnoff concerning the Murano is that the interior just doesn't mesh with the exterior. The exterior is very "orbous", flowing, spherical and even bulbous, while the interior is linear, square and rigid. There's something about that combo that is a bit of turnoff to me. Part of me just wants to buy the next Xterra I see that is decently accessorized since it seems to be the one car on the list that fits my personality....the murano and a few of the others seem like they'd fit a 35 year old with a family on the way more than an irresponsible bastard like myself.

Strut99GT is offline Member
    1. Draw a circle on a piece of posterboard.
    2. Draw random "sections" in the posterboard with the names of potential cars.
    3. Measure wind, ambient temperature, and barometric pressure to ensure throw accuracy.
    4. Equip blindfold (hence negating step 3).
    5. Grab nearest dart (er, should have done that before step 4).
    6. Toss dart in the general direction of posterboard.
    7. Purchase "dart-car."
    8. If you missed completely, accept that you will never make a decision, and consume a cookie in commemoration of this fact.

Yeah, this is tough. I get buyers remorse when I buy a sweater or DVD, so i know that no matter what car i get, I'll be pissed after the fact. It's a lose-lose situation.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    I would buy a Lincoln Navigator over any of those smaller vehicles. Just buy one that ie a few years old to get in your price range.

Nixter is offline Associate Member
    All are good options except the Envoy. Nothing wrong with "american" cars these days. Ford is making some great vehicles these days but GMC is still way behind in build and engineering quality.

All these cars have their pluses and minuses. Make a list of the features you consider when choosing a vehicle ie; looks, price, room, performance, etc, and put this list in order of your personal priority. "Are looks more important to you than space?", for example. Next to this list mark a 1-10 for each car in each catagory you wrote down. See what your results yield. This will help you judge each car individually rather than comparing one against the other.

Forester would be my pick though. I would have said the Murano but I'd get pissed every time I pulled up next to an FX45.

Nixter.

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    I'd say go with any of the japanese options. American cars just aren't reliable enough. You're looking for price, performance, reliability, and utility. That being said, the best combination of all of these is probably the subaru. You can always get a spoiler or something if you don't like the looks.

You're nuts if you think the pontiac is better looking. Looks like something an aztec shat out.

Take care, good luck.
    -chris

mass junkie is offline banned
    Just buy an escalade!!!! President bush gives you a 100,000 dollar tax cut if you buy a vehicle 6000 pounds or over...................its worth it if you own your own business..................so its either an escalade or a h2................I chose the escalade............sweet ride!!!

Thread Information