Thread: Deviated Septum

BIG R is offline Member

Angry Deviated Septum

I wanted to see if any other AR members have had a surgery to correct a deviated septum. I had a almost completely closed right nare. I have not been able to sleep for months as my breathing has gotten worse and worse.
    Had the sugery on Friday morning. Could not eat anything from 9pm Thursday night and NPO in the morning of the surgery. The most painful part was the stupid bioch that could not get my IV started for her life. I have HUGE veins!!! after being poked 4 TIMES another nurse was sent and she got it on the 1st try. Thank God!! I was going to knock her out if she missed another time.
    When I was wheeled to surgery upon arrival the doctor asked if I was ready.......and I said "ready"........thats was ALL THAT I REMEBER! I woke up at 7pm later that day all bandaged up like the Elephant man. There was about 8-9 hours that I simply LOST ......no recolection of anything. Totally scary!! Some nurses were looking at me and smileing.................I could not help but to think that I was molested in some way while under.
    Well my gal come in and took some PICS so we could laugh at later and I was sent home. I scared some kids with the get up and I laughed feeling like a freak.
    I have no pain post surgery..........problem is that my nose tends to ooze blood every now and again. I cant laugh, sneeze, bow my head, talk too much, or I will bleed......OH, and the worst part I can not lift any weights for at least 2 weeks!!!! I am irratable already with a cross of some cabin fever setting in..............

Does anyone have a similar experience with septum sugery? And if so how long did it take you to heal?? DAM its only been 3 days and I miss the weights already..........I dont want to lose what I have.

Peace,

Big R

Contender is offline Junior Member
    Damn Bro i feel for you, i pitched baseball in high school and took a line drive to the nose, broken with a deviated septum, had the same surgery, all packed up, draining blood, and changing bandages.........my eyes swelled shut and were black and blue, i hate to say it but it only gets worse before better......i also had no post pain, except for my tongue in the mornings which was like a 2x4 and dry as a desert, that was when i was 16....im 37 now and all is well, its a long process of healing, but keep yopur head up(no pun intended) it will get better.....................

Contender is offline Junior Member
    the tongue was from having to sleep breathing through my mouth......keep water bedside, your gonna need it and it will help you if you get up in the middle of the night

zmatalucci is offline Associate Member
    I had it done about 4yrs ago.. I crushed my nose surfing (of all things) anyway the only thing I felt after surgery was those damn tampon like things they put up my nose. Surgery was a bomb for me ,, still have a deviated septom,,have to sleep with my mouth open cause I cant breathe out of my one nostril,, hope yours went better>>>GOOD LUCK<<<

BIG R is offline Member
    Contender,

I am all buised up like yours was. Today I am less swollen thank God. It was way worse yesterday with the constant bleeding. At least today I didnt bleed over everything. The water has helped even after taking a nap the AC dries me out.

BIG R is offline Member
    zmatalucci ,

Yeah the tampon things did kinda hurt. But they were taken out the day after........even more blood came out then. So far I have one nostril (left one) working good as ever only the right side is still stopped up with blood.

R

I dont know if I actually still have a deviated septom,, come to think of it , it might actually be scar tissue, not to sound gross or anything, but when I look in the mirror it looks almost like a tumor inside of my right nostril? Weird

adaptations is offline Member
    I had it done about a yr and a half ago...Surgery went fine, right nostril isnt 100% better but its Def alot better, i can now breath at night...I didnt go throug the bleeding though...mine healed pretty well. But those tampon things when they pull em out....damn its uncomfortable,..

BIG R is offline Member
    adaptations,

What was you recovery time? Then how long until you were lifting again? Thanks for the response as well as zmatalucci and Contender's. I knew I could trust on the AR site for a fast responce. This is my biggest concern being fresh outta this surgery (4th day post sugery).

Peace
    R

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    Yes. Surgery is fun. The PACKING is the worst part of the pain.
    -Trying to eat sucks since yuo cant move your upper lip
    -What saved me from a miserable time was the ICE PACK for the eyes. Oh god that made me feel SO MUCH BETTER
    -A good girlfriend who waits on you hand and foot is also nice
    -The pain killers makes it difficult if not impossible to have an orgasm
    -Keep the ICE on it AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. Even if it doesnt hurt. Recovery 2x as fast
    -Doctors were amazed I didnt bruise around the eyes. Actually took pictures cause it was very uncommon. Especially since it was a pretty indepth surgery
    -I think I started doing my regular routine 5 days later. Not supposed to but oh well.

-It depends. You could rupture your stitches if they put any in. Do light weights and make sure you dont strain too much since a lot of pressure builds up in the face.
    Do what your body tells you. Doctors over advise just to make sure you dont injure yourself or cause the surgery site to open up.
    -Would suck if a weight hit you in the nose.

BIG R is offline Member
    bermich,

I'll try the ice today! That sounds like a good idea to me. I had my 1st good night sleep with no slow bleeding last night. I am not very swollen anymore but my eyes are still sort of bruised.
    I do have a good gal that was there to take care of me in the hospital. That was a cool feeling. I have never even broken a bone much less have surgery, so it was something that I was anticipating.

Thanks,

R

adaptations is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG R
    bermich,

I'll try the ice today! That sounds like a good idea to me. I had my 1st good night sleep with no slow bleeding last night. I am not very swollen anymore but my eyes are still sort of bruised.
    I do have a good gal that was there to take care of me in the hospital. That was a cool feeling. I have never even broken a bone much less have surgery, so it was something that I was anticipating.

Thanks,

R
    In the hospital? mine was day surgery...And yes the girl waiting on you is the best....Ate lots of soup, and shit...id say i was good to go like 5 days, later, didnt rerally have any black eyes...and i dont htink i used ice...Parents ended up taking the percs away from me....damn those are good...but i found em!!! Just take it slow, Is all i have to say...you dont wanna fuck anything up and have to wait even longer...

pumpseeker is offline Senior Member
    Sorry to hear that bro. My father in law had the same surgery twice I think. It kept coming back. Good luck recovering. 2 weeks isn't shit....keep eating a good diet and you'll be straight.

Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    yeah Im thinking of getting it done - nothing I cant do without but my nose has been broken 3-4x and it looks a bit funny - I can breath ok but I am sure it would be better if it were opened up a bit more.

My recovery was very short,, I had the procedure done on a monday and was lifting the following monday(very light) anyway, my body doesn't like pain killers ,for some reson they make me ill and I actually think that could have had something to do with a quicker recovery. All in all,,, CYCLEON if it's bothering you or hindering your workouts get it done..I think I'm going to go get mine checked out again.

BIG R is offline Member
    Day 5:

I feel 100% better today. I woke up being able to breath clearly out of both sides of my nose.......I cant remeber being able to breath this well! Seems like all is well now, no bleeding, the swelling has gone practically away and all that I see is some slight bruising in the inside corner of my eyes. I feel like a teenager again......oops maybe thats the deca talking..hahahaha.
    All and all, this surgery was well worth the weight of losing out time from my everyday schedual. I totally recomend it to people that have the same problem with thier breathing due to thier septum. I'm going to sleep like a baby tonight with out the ole' dry mouth. YES!!!

Feel like a NEW MAN!
    R

R

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    The thing that sucks now is you have to avoid getting in fights. Or you just have to become even more quick...

Full Intensity is offline Anabolic Member
    Bro I had it done about 5 months ago. Fuck it sucked. I was fine the day after, no pain killers nothing, i had a deviated septum and they have to shave and fix other parts i broke while playing rugby. Anyway, the morning after the doc pulled out the packing and a cup of blood literally poured down the back of my throat it was nasty. After that i could breath like a million bucks, just couldn't laugh etc... but fuck scabs were comming out of my nose for a good three weeks and stiches too. Fuck it was nasty. I got so sick of it i went up there with a tiny pair of scissors and tweezers and started cutting and pulling shit out. It bled a little and i probably shouldn't have but fuck did i get a lot of shit out. And the bruising under my eyes took about 3 to 4 weeks to clear, not to mention the vessels in my eyes burst on the 4th day. i'll post some pics if i can

BIG R is offline Member
    bermich,

Don't even SAY THAT!!! I am so fight prone....I have great capacity to be an assh*le at times. I've been in so much sh*t my entire life. Got the "love me or hate me" personality. I've always be at odds with everything.
    Guess I will have to get a bit faster. Chances are that I dont even have to get hit all one needs to do is make me laugh hard and I'll bleed for sure!! Too easy right? They be like, " Man I didnt even tough him!"

R

BIG R is offline Member
    Full Intensity ,

If you want to laugh your ass off I'll post some PICS where I look like the Elephant man right now. Just to give AR a good laugh.
    Let me know if you think that is a good idea.

R

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    A friend of mine did that and a nose job at once... looked like he got hit in the face with a bat.

Thread Information