lilbull is offline Associate Member

BF% monitoring scales.

I've just recently purchased a Body Fat monitoring scale. It sends an electrical signal through the heal and then records the BF% or something like that. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew how accurate these are? It says that it is extremely sensitive to water changes in the body, so only measure at the same time every day under consistent conditions. I think it's cool, but it told me I'm fatter than I thought I was . So now I'm trying to make sure it's correct. The Caliper system says I'm around 14% but this tells me it's 18%. Anyone know it's accuracy? Thanks guys.
    Bull
    P.S. - if anyone is interested in purchasing one here is the website-
    http://www.nrindustries.com/scls.html?ref=overture

BUYLONGTERM is offline Anabolic Member
    Bro, I have the same scale and it tells me the same thing, that I'm 18% body fat, but I know I'm less than that. I havent used that scale to test for BF in months...I don't trust it, though I know people that swear by it

MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    Does it require you to enter your height? In that case it may be basing your bf% using BMI calculations which aren't accurate for bodybuilders.

If you have the basic tanita scale, it's worthless for measuring bf%. You need to get one with an athelete mode.

MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    Nevermind on that athlete mode.
    http://www.tanita.com/misc/usermodes.html
    None of the home Tanita scales are for bodybuilders. I checked out the professional models and they all seem bogus too.

yes it does require your height and age and gender. But then I figured if it sends and electrical signal, then it might be accurate. That really pisses me off. So you think it uses a BMI calculation to give you the body fat readings? Oh well, thanks guys.
    Bull

So many things can affect how electricity travels thru skin and your body... I have a hard time believing those scales can offer any levels of precision.

Red

ok, so I'm an idiot for buying the scale. Oh well better luck next time. Thanks guys.
    Bull

P.S. - If anyone is interested in buying a scale that measures your bodyfat and weight PM me it's cool. haha

BDTR is offline Retired
    Those scales are SO worthless!!!!! I've ranged from 16% on them to 30% depending on the time of day, how much water i've drank and if im bloated or not while I officially test at 14% bf the last time i had to checked.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Personally, I like these scales...no they are not an accurate measure of bodyfat, but if you use them when you first wake up everyday and record the results it helps give you a relative idea of your change in bodyfat%. Most people I know prefer to use the mirror though.

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator
    I like them too. I found mine to be just as accurate (relatively speaking) as a bf test I had done at the University. I bought mine at Costco.

hybrid is offline Member
    I have had bad luck with the one that I have. It varies huge and is never close to the caliper test. What a waste of 150 bucks. Even first thing in the morning it will vary 10% from one day to the next. The digital caliper that I have is better and cheaper. I take the measurements and then plug them into a 7 point bf program to calculate.

that sounds like a good method, hybrid. Where can I get one of those digital calipers? and also where'd you get the program?

Thread Information