BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member

College Grads: how do you cope?!?!?

All of this "back-to-school" BS is making me sick! Half of me wishes that your student loans would get revoked and you'd all have to go work at the local Wal-Mart. The other wants to sit down and have a chat with you...me being the wise old man that I am now, I can tell you how you need to appreciate these years, because the time goes by oh so fast.

Regardless, what I need to know is how all you college grads dealt with being booted out of the safe, happy little bubble after graduation (which was a stupid, stupid idea to EVER do, but it's too late for that...hindsight is 20/20 indeed). My girlfriend is flipping out because I've bought about five or six video games in the last two weeks and I have friends up every weekend and we kinda do the college thing (no booze but we play video games until 2:00 in the mornin' and then watch Dazed and Confused or Half Baked). I posted this horror story in another thread, but my downstairs neighbor in my apartment is in his 40's! That's so foreign to me. I can deal without the booze gladly and even without the chicks and parties, but, quite seriously, how did you guys make that transition from being surrouned by friends 24-7 with 90% of your friends being within a mile radius AT MOST to suddenly having that ripped out from under you? My nearest friends geographically are about 50 miles away! One of my old roommates is in NYC, another in South Carolina and yet another in grad school out in California! I can't deal with this shit. I've been out for all of three or four months and all the sudden getting together with friends means checking schedules, planning drives, moving it to "next weekend" (which never comes) and all that.

I'm really not trying to be a wise-ass here, but i've never felt so utterly out of touch with friends as I do now. What comes next? Tell me I'm not the only one who's been 'here'?

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator
    Bro...you're in the same boat as me. It's unbelievable how distant you become after University. My University days were awesome and then one day you graduate. You think you want to graduate b/c you're sick of not having money...you want to work and start buying toys. I guess it's called life...and it fucking sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by Money Boss Hustla
    Bro...you're in the same boat as me. It's unbelievable how distant you become after University. My University days were awesome and then one day you graduate. You think you want to graduate b/c you're sick of not having money...you want to work and start buying toys. I guess it's called life...and it fucking sucks!
    Yeah, it's just past midnight here, my girlfriend is asleep (being a responsible job-holder and all) and I'm bored as hell FULLY expecting someone to come in my unlocked door without knocking to watch sportscenter and then play some head-to-head Bond before turning in. I don't know if a lot of people just hide it better or what, but I don't understand how this doesn't just eat at people. And yes, like you, towards the end I really felt it was time to move on...and in a lot of ways it was, but that lack of friends in EVERY direction just creates this huge void.

Wait 'till you add kids to the equation and you got to help them do their homework

I don't care how many university diplomas you have, a 4th grade kids homework will stop you dead in your tracks!

Red

talon is offline Senior Member
    AHHHH, poor guys, Big here is what you do....well I cant help ya bro you already graduated...sorry...LOL

BDTR is offline Retired
    I still got a semester left till i get my degree... I took two years off, started a buisness and just got fed up with school. I'm DREADING finishing up, i was supposed to be going back right now but I couldn't bring myself to register, I guess I will next semester. I like real life a whole lot better than college, it pays better.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Man I went back to university to hide from the real world , dunno how I'm gonna cope with my eventual return to the rat race. Fortunately, that is a year or two away for me. Makes you think that's why so many students go to grad school, why go back to the real world if you don't have to. Schools's more fun!

Rickson is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Would you get a fucking job already.

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    Yes...get a job...find a cause...fight a war..start a revolution...get out of the house!

Quote Originally Posted by Rickson
    Would you get a fucking job already.
    Hey dad, I didn't ask to be born, why don't you lay off, you wouldn't understand, all I have is my music man!!

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    Lol And I thought our troops in the Gulf had a tough adjusting to the transition of civilian life If they only knew...

~US~

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Time to get a job BG.....................Uncle Sam wants you.................well at least your money. Besides the rest of us are tired of covering your portion of the federal tax. BTW you owe me $50 bucks for this week, we'll let the other four years we covered you slid. But no more..................and like all fathers do we think your music sucks. Ha

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut2148
    Time to get a job BG.....................Uncle Sam wants you.................well at least your money. Besides the rest of us are tired of covering your portion of the federal tax. BTW you owe me $50 bucks for this week, we'll let the other four years we covered you slid. But no more..................and like all fathers do we think your music sucks. Ha
    Hey, I have a job. I personal train 8-11 hours a week. I don't know who all of the sudden and out of nowhere set the standard at 40 hours, but I see no reason to blindly follow it.

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    My best friend since 4th grade came through town last week. First time he hasn't had his wife and kids with him in a long time. We went out to a tit bar for a few beers and wondered when the last time we had done that. Got to adding it up - 11 years ago!!!! Crazy shit. Seems like yesterday we were playing football together on Friday nights.

peace,

ttgb

Butch is offline Anabolic Member
    Man I had the worst withdrawls....I seriously used College to hide from the real world. I was at it for 7 years....yes 7 years...they called me Van Wilder. I just never wanted to graduate. My buddies would tell me to stay in school as long as I could....and I did. Shit most people who go to school for seven years are called Doctors. Well I do nt regret one part of it. I loved every bit and every moment of it.

I would go back if I could.

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    Butch...did you change your avatar?? hehe...I can probably find a big ole #8 for your avatar if you need one!!!! lol

peace,

ttgb

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    I was depressed after graduation. I went from being president of my fraternity (awesome parties and chicks everywhere) to moving and working 50 hours a week (no parties and not many chicks). You get over it... it is part of growing up.

Nathan is offline Retired Moderator
    It's weird because my program blew big time. So I only made a few close friends and they're all stil in school, taking 5 years or whatever instead of 4. So, I came home and am seeing high school friends again a lot, smoking weed, working, doing shit ass all. It's fun. I'm looking forward to this year frankly. Plus, I work out at the university gym here so I see all those people when I go out to clubs and shit. So much better than partying in a big city. Popularity and all that stuff. Anyways, I'm still a ways aweay from the "real world" I think but it's still scary as hell. What the hell was I talking about? I've forgotten now. Crap. Abort! Abort!

talon is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan
    It's weird because my program blew big time. So I only made a few close friends and they're all stil in school, taking 5 years or whatever instead of 4. So, I came home and am seeing high school friends again a lot, smoking weed, working, doing shit ass all. It's fun. I'm looking forward to this year frankly. Plus, I work out at the university gym here so I see all those people when I go out to clubs and shit. So much better than partying in a big city. Popularity and all that stuff. Anyways, I'm still a ways aweay from the "real world" I think but it's still scary as hell. What the hell was I talking about? I've forgotten now. Crap. Abort! Abort!
    HA HA HA......Hell I still hang out with my h-school friends, a couple of them live up here.....

For all of you in the Boston area, this might be one way to cope!

http://www.bostonslugfest.com/new/SlugfestReunion.asp
    Last edited by BigGreen; 09-02-2003 at 01:06 PM.

Strut99GT is offline Member
    Yeah, graduating and becoming a "workin' man" sucks. It's strange...when you get together with your friends, you don't really have to split hairs over who's paying the extra buck at the restaurant any more because you are all finally banking. However, you have to go to sleep "early" and wake up "early." I know those terms seem foreign, but it happens eventually whether you like it or not!

Bleeech. Now I'm bummed.

Thread Information