BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member

Need a Western Union Expert please!

If you know your stuff on WU, could you help me out here? A 'source' of mine (it's actually for nothing gear related, for real!) has a system designed to keep me "safe" while doing business through WU. His proposal is to set up the wire transfer to his area and such, but have the receiver's name be my brother or best friend for example, this way he can not pick up the funds but can use the MCTN# to check that the funds actually exist (according to him). Once I receive the product, I head to WU and change the pick up name to his if it means expectations. I like this because it puts the trust on his end, as i could get the product and simply cancel (which I won't). My question is, does this work as he lays out? I assume that just anyone with the MCTN can't go pick the thing up, and without proper ID stating he's my brother or whoever he can't touch it. But, I'm shocked that just anyone can check if funds exist having just the #. Anyway, could really use some feedback here as to whether or not this'll work.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    I don't know if you can change the receiver's name after the funds are sent.

It's true though about the MTCN #. Once the funds are sent he can either call WU or check online and see if it actually exists. All you need to check it online is the MTCN and the Sender's Name. If it's an invalid entry, then it'll tell you that no such order exists. However, be warned. I sent off some money once and the online thing kept telling me that the order didn't exist. So I emailed WU with my problem, and they said that it was just a glitch in the system.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    This is the stupidest thing I've heard in a few hours. Your buddy's scenario makes little sense. If I understand it correctly it goes like this:

1) You send money in Buddy's brothers name.
    2) Buddy can now check the existence of funds in his brothers name to see that they in fact exist, but cannot cash them since they are not for him.
    3)Buddy now sends the goods and you wait to physicaly recieve them before you send the money in Buddy's name.

I am weary of this situation if I understand it correctly. Buddy gains nothing by doing it this way versus just sending you the goods before you wire him the money via WU. The only thing he gains out of doing this is the ability to fuck you over and you will never know who he is!

Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    This is the stupidest thing I've heard in a few hours. Your buddy's scenario makes little sense. If I understand it correctly it goes like this:
    Nope, you're not quite understanding it correctly. I create a WU wire to MY brother or buddy but set up in his town. That way, with the MCTN# he can in fact check to see that the transfer exists and is set up. After I receive my package, I then head to WU and state that the person who was supposed to pick it up can no longer do so in time for the funds to be available when they need to be available and a second party will be doing the picking up instead. It is at that point I change it to HIS name. What I like about it is it minimizes my risk completely, if I don't get the package, he can't touch the funds. And, if i wanted to screw him, i could simply cancel the transfer (i'm not going to, but you get the point).

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    I see my mistake. This situation has a very good selling point for him, and you. He puts up the trust but if you screw him, he will know your name, unless you present fake ID at WU. You however, get the security of recieving first.

Sounds like a win-win to me. Keep us posted with how this works out for you, assuming you go through with it of course.

the security on his end is that it is for an amount over the number where they'll let you slide on ID. So I'll have to show a real ID. This seems to me to be the preferable way to do business through WU and I'm somewhat surprised that this is the first I'd heard of it.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    But will they let you change names ??

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    What is to stop you from sending him the money after YOU recieve the goods from HIM? He would then in fact have to trust YOU once you get your supplies from HIM. Sure you say you wont screw him but this guy is now putting 100% trust in you. Not too many people would do that. Especially over seas order or across the state.
    I might be missing something. If so let me know cause I would like a way around W U problems and trust also

Quote Originally Posted by bermich
    What is to stop you from sending him the money after YOU recieve the goods from HIM? He would then in fact have to trust YOU once you get your supplies from HIM. Sure you say you wont screw him but this guy is now putting 100% trust in you. Not too many people would do that. Especially over seas order or across the state.
    I might be missing something. If so let me know cause I would like a way around W U problems and trust also
    The trust one his end comes from the fact that to send this amount of money, I absolutely must show valid ID, so he'll know my name, address, etc etc. At least, that's how he explained it to me. This is not an illegal transaction, just an "odd" one, so he could easily come after me legally if I bailed, as I'm sure I could do to him as well, but I'd rather that burden be on his end.

Quote Originally Posted by KeyMastur
    But will they let you change names ??
    I'm not 100% on that (but apparently this guy has done business this way before), though I see no reason why you could not. If my bro and sis were vactioning in Europe and I wired them much needed money with my bro being the one who was supposed to pick it up and he couldn't make it, I can't believe WU wouldn't allow me to then change it two or three days after the fact to someone else. I'll know in a few days though.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Just found out you can change the name.

dizzle is offline Respected Member
    what are you getting BG? you got me all interested, sounds like it must be over 1K.

Thread Information