Juggernaut is offline AR Jester

It's official, I am old!!!

The verdict is in; I am old!!!

Every year Beloit College in Beloit, Wisconsin publishes what it calls "The Mindset List"--fun facts and figures about the incoming crop of freshmen so professors will be able to relate to their new students.

Beloit says the list is a reminder that the world view of today's new college students is significantly different from the intellectual framework of those students who entered only a few years earlier. Put another way, it's a reminder that you are getting on in years. One of the list's creators is Beloit professor Tom McBride, who quips, "It is an alert for those of us who may be suffering from hardening of the references." And there's no medicine for this!

So to better understand how the class of 2007 thinks, most of whom were born in 1985, read this and feel your age:

1.The people who are starting college this fall across the nation were born in 1985.
    2.They have no meaningful recollection of the Reagan era and probably did not know he had ever been shot.
    3.They were prepubescent when the Persian Gulf War was waged.
    4.There has been only one pope in their lifetime.
    5.They were 10 when the Soviet Union broke apart and do not remember the Cold War.
    6.They are too young to remember the space shuttle blowing up on takeoff.
    7.Tiananmen Square means nothing to them.
    8.Bottle caps have always been screw off and plastic.
    9.Atari predates them, as do vinyl albums.
    10.The statement "You sound like a broken record" means nothing to them. (They have never owned a record player.)
    11.They have likely never played Pac Man and have never heard of Pong.
    12.They may have never heard of an 8-track tape. The compact disc was introduced when they were 1 year old.
    13.They have always had an answering machine.
    14.Most have never seen a TV set with only 13 channels, nor have they seen a black and white TV.
    15.They have always had cable.
    16.There have always been VCRs, but they have no idea what Beta was.
    17.They cannot fathom not having a remote control.
    18.They don't know what a cloth baby diaper is or know about the "Help me, I've fallen and I can't get up!" commercial.
    19.They were born the year that Walkman was introduced by Sony.
    20.Roller skating has always meant inline for them.
    21.Michael Jackson has always been white.
    22.Jay Leno has always been on "The Tonight Show."
    23.They have no idea when or why Jordache jeans were cool.
    24.Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave.
    25.They have never seen Larry Bird play.
    26.They never took a swim and thought about "Jaws."
    27.The Vietnam War is as ancient history to them as World War I, World War II, and the Civil War.
    28.They have no idea that Americans were ever held hostage in Iran.
    29.They can't imagine what hard contact lenses are.
    30.They don't know who Mork was or where he was from. (The correct answer, by the way, is Ork.)
    31.They never heard: "Where's the beef?", "I'd walk a mile for a Camel," or "De plane, de plane!"
    32.They do not care who shot J.R. and have no idea who J.R. was.
    33.Kansas, Chicago, Boston, America, and Alabama are places, not bands.
    34.There has always been MTV.
    35.They don't have a clue how to use a typewriter.

The Base is offline Associate Member
    ROFLMFAO!!

Thats some funny shit! I'm 29 and I can remember everything there - even Jordarche jeans!!!

It's just freaky that the things we take for granted in out memories do not exist in those of our future.

I have a daughter - I'm gonna have to educate her with some real history!!

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Damn!!! Thanks alot Jugg, I'm only 25 and that makes me feel old!

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    33 in 5 1/2 weeks and feeling better than ever!

God I'm old

I can not only remember everything in there, I owned/lived most of it...

Red

Here, here Red I can so relate to that.

My next question to the board will be;
    Geritol (sp), will it hinder my gains? Do I run it like dbol and at what dosage?

Bet I’ll have to bump it myself ten or fifteen times as well.

mass junkie is offline banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut2148

Geritol (sp), will it hinder my gains? Do I run it like dbol and at what dosage?

HorseyGrl is offline Female Member
    Posted by Juggernaut2148 - Today at 10:57 AM

So very true and sad at the same time.

I am going on year 5 in college and the freshmen are in a whole different world than I am. I think I am that "old chick" in class that they keep talking about . And , yes, sadly I remeber all the items off that long list.

Talking

Ok lets have fun with those... (and I have an hour to kill before heading to the gym!)

1.The people who are starting college this fall across the nation were born in 1985.

Thats kind of scary...

2.They have no meaningful recollection of the Reagan era and probably did not know he had ever been shot.

I guess I am in trouble if I remember Jimmi Carter?

3.They were prepubescent when the Persian Gulf War was waged.

That happened yesterday!!!! I watched the whole thing live on TV.

4.There has been only one pope in their lifetime.

Shiet, so they don't remember JP-1 being assasinated by the mob only a few months after his ordainment? (or so does the non-official story goes)

5.They were 10 when the Soviet Union broke apart and do not remember the Cold War.

And it has no meaning to them... you should see how my kid looks at me funny when I tell him of the nuclear attack drills we had when I was his age in grade school.

6.They are too young to remember the space shuttle blowing up on takeoff.

Shiiiet, I still remember in 7 or 8th grade when the first shuttle (Columbia) took off and landed!!! They had the whole school in the gym to watch it on TV's.

7.Tiananmen Square means nothing to them.

I wonder how many chinese students who took part in the Tiananmen Square party are still in jail or dead...

8.Bottle caps have always been screw off and plastic.

I miss the good old Coke glass bottles with metal caps! Remember in the mid 80's when they came out with the "big" 1.5L glass "rocket" bottles? They would explode and send glass shards flying if you dropped them on their base

9.Atari predates them, as do vinyl albums.

Holy cow... I still have all my old 80's and 70's vinyls! I even have a good turntable to listen to them if so enclined.

10.The statement "You sound like a broken record" means nothing to them. (They have never owned a record player.)

Ha ha ha my kid doesn't even know what a record is!!!! (ok so I don't take my vinyls out too often!)

11.They have likely never played Pac Man and have never heard of Pong.

I remember when pong came out, we would go to Sears and play on the demo TV for hours until the clerks kicked us out!

12.They may have never heard of an 8-track tape. The compact disc was introduced when they were 1 year old.

My dad didn't like 8 tracks so we didn't have any.... I was such an outcast!!!

13.They have always had an answering machine.

I remember the old one at my doctors office... 2 big cassettes, huge knobs... only rich people had them back then.

14.Most have never seen a TV set with only 13 channels, nor have they seen a black and white TV.

My parents bought our first colour TV when I was 6!!! (colour TV's existed before that, but were expensive). We had the BW tv as second TV in my moms sewing room until I was 10.

15.They have always had cable.

We got cable for the first time when I was 9, and that was with the rented cable box (we had the fancy one with wired remote and a button for each channel) and it only gave us around 18 channels. Had we paid for premium service we would have had a whopping 30 channels.

16.There have always been VCRs, but they have no idea what Beta was.

Our first VCR was VHS (yeah my old man made the right choice!), but had dials for channels and was so big you needed a forklift to move it! Around the same time, my school only had VTR's (open reel video tapes)

17.They cannot fathom not having a remote control.

Our first colour TV had a remote with no electronic parts! It had 4 buttons (on, off, chan up, chan down) and inside was tuning forks... remember those?

18.They don't know what a cloth baby diaper is or know about the "Help me, I've fallen and I can't get up!" commercial.

Shiet, I still have my old thick cotton diapers from when I was a baby!!! I use them to wax my car. Goood stuff they were!

19.They were born the year that Walkman was introduced by Sony.

When the SONY walkman came out, I was in HS and my mom never wanted me to get one... (bad for your ears!) Had to buy one and keep it hidden for over a year. Mom alwsys wondered where all that babysitting money went

20.Roller skating has always meant inline for them.

I have to admit I prefer the inlines... but as a kid I had my 4x4 roller-skates and every weekend I was at the disco roller rink.

21.Michael Jackson has always been white.

Never liked him... black or white.

22.Jay Leno has always been on "The Tonight Show."

Heeeeeres Johnny! And back then Letterman was actually funny.

23.They have no idea when or why Jordache jeans were cool.

They were never cool!!!!

24.Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave.

Would you believe I still cook popcorn the old fashion way?

25.They have never seen Larry Bird play.

Or seen the Montreal Canadiens win the cup!

26.They never took a swim and thought about "Jaws."

That was such a cool movie, saw it in the theatres.

27.The Vietnam War is as ancient history to them as World War I, World War II, and the Civil War.

Daaam, a couple of my summer camp counselors in the 70's were draft dodgers hiding in Canada

28.They have no idea that Americans were ever held hostage in Iran.

Thats sad. how quickly we forget...

29.They can't imagine what hard contact lenses are.

Ouch ouch ouch! Dee pain dee pain!

30.They don't know who Mork was or where he was from. (The correct answer, by the way, is Ork.)

I dunno about that, with all these old shows reruning eternally on cable nostalgia channels surely they have seen Mork and Mindy!

31.They never heard: "Where's the beef?", "I'd walk a mile for a Camel," or "De plane, de plane!"

Nor do they remember Ricardo Montalbhan selling us Chrysler Cordobas with "Reeeech coreentian leeeadder"!

32.They do not care who shot J.R. and have no idea who J.R. was.

God I hated Dallas.... my parents watched it religiously.

33.Kansas, Chicago, Boston, America, and Alabama are places, not bands.

Ahhh the good old days!

34.There has always been MTV.

Remember "Friday Night Videos" on NBC? Was amazing for those of us who couldn't get MTV!

35.They don't have a clue how to use a typewriter.

Ahhhh bad memories!!!! High School typing classes on old MANUAL (not electric) typewriters... I am scarred for life!

Well that was a fun trip down memory lane... thanks Juggernaut!

Red

Red, you're killing me over here. I can remember our first VCR (that we spent $600 for) which had so many buttons on it that it looked like a flight control panel and the damn thing was broke all the time (today you can get one for twenty bucks, toss it out a third story window and the thing will still work!). And remember Jimmy Carter.................hell I helped one of the teachers at my school campaign for him.

Crap I'd type some more but my arthritis is acting up and besides it's nap time. Crap I'm out of depends!

Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    Anybody actually remember watching Terminator (the first one) on the big screen? Remember seeing it with my dad - first R flick I had seen with him with me.

talon is offline Senior Member
    He he he, my first flick with dad waz Debby Does Dallas....ha ha ha

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Damn!!! Thanks alot Jugg, I'm only 25 and that makes me feel old!
    Yup.

Cycleon, hell yeah! Your dad picked a good one if not you. Funny how something can trigger a memory, I trust it's a good one.

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    jesus, i'll be damned if there's a kid on this site that can be considered young by this list. And if he is, he'd better not be on any gear!

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    They dont know that E.T. first came out 22 years ago.
    I feel old when I start talking about all these remake films such as Charlies Angels, SWAT, and the incredible hulk with my girlfriend and she looks at me like "what are you talking about" She has no clue that these movies were first tv shows.
    My dad laughed at me when I didnt know how to open juice from a can. You need to poke holes on the right and left side of the lid.

CDs are already becoming obsolete. In 5 years, cars wont have cd players. They will have MP3 players.
    VCRs are obsolete by 80% of americans.

Pretty soon MP3 players will be obsolete
    Microwaves will be a thing of the past.
    "You mean they used to make things out of GLASS"
    Schools will be taught at home over the internet
    "You mean you still drive a GAS powered car"

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HorseyGrl
    So very true and sad at the same time.

I am going on year 5 in college and the freshmen are in a whole different world than I am. I think I am that "old chick" in class that they keep talking about . And , yes, sadly I remeber all the items off that long list.
    tight, me too (year 5 of college, not "that old chick"). i only remember like 3/4 of the items off that list.

i wanna pick up the freshmen girls with my favorite older-guy-to-younger-girl pickup line: "so...you like beer?"

-- clocky baby

Thread Information