Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bermich is offline Anabolic Member

A rewarding job or a less rewarding job in the 6 digits?

Relationship pondering:
    I have a girlfriend who will be qualified for a high paying job once she gets her masters. Possibly in the six digits roughly in about 3 years.
    She is not decided but would rather help in a public position making maybe 30k that is far more rewarding.
    I told her making 120k seems to be far more rewarding.

I would like to be financially comfortable in a few years. Her only making 30k is not bad but this girl LOVES TO SHOP. More clothes and shoes than anyone I know. More gadgets in her car than I had at the age of 18 and she is a chick.
    Plus 30k in three years from now will not be much

I make good money and have only had my business's for a year.
    I would like to have a girlfriend who also makes good money.
    Would like to build a house in a couple of years and have all the cool toys.
    I know it seems materialistic.
    I was wondering how any of you would feel about it
    I dont know what my point is
    Should I go for a girl who is more financially stable or what?
    There is more to the issue than just the job.
    If she has a kid she would want to stay home forever or something like that.

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator
    I here ya bro. i have been in the business world long enough to give some wisdom.

I have moved jobs for money...I liked the money but the job drove me crazy. I had to leave in under a year b/c I hated it. I have also had jobs I loved where I wasn't make as much as I should have.

It seems that if I take a high paying stressful job I start looking for a change very soon...I always end up going into something more balanced and fun. Then it seems I get bored with the rewarding job and want more money...I always end up taking the money and stress back.

So...IMHO you always want what you don't have. As soon as you get one...you want the other thing again. Sometimes I want the money...sometimes I want the rewarding job.

Lostsoul is offline Associate Member
    bermich, you should tell her to take the highpaying job just to see if she likes it, i bet when she gets a sniff of $2000 going into her bank account everyweek she's not gunna give it up, no way... earning good money always makes you feel good, especially if she spends a lot of money like you say.

palme is offline Rosie Member
    She should have a job that she enjoys. However money is a big deal and why not go for a high paying job and earn some $$. If she has that chance she should take it. She can always quit if she dosnt like it.

sin
    sin is offline Senior Member
    for me personally i hate working regardless of what job it is. so i would always go for better money.

Diesel is offline Anabolic Member
    Happiness is more important than money IMO.
    Take it from me, you can have plenty of money and be miserable.

D

Strut99GT is offline Member
    Go for the money here. No job could possibly be awesome/God-awful enough (depending on which standpoint you're looking from) to justify taking a $30K paycheck over a $120K paycheck.

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    She will have to wake up everyday and go to this place so it better be something she enjoys.

When I was in my mid 20's I was a consultant for a tech company and I had to travel all over the country. I hated every minute of it. I made great money, learned a lot, I was never home so it wasn't for me. I did it for over 3 years and was miserable.

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    $$ is always cool to have, but life is too short to be miserable everyday! Try to find BALANCE. Find a career that is rewarding AND pays good. Just find something that is fun and rewarding to you most of the time and become better at it than everyone else...and things will work out. My .02

peace,

ttgb

Last edited by tryingtogetbig; 08-25-2003 at 11:20 AM.

peam is offline Suspended
    I'd rather have a job I'm happy to go to everyday... but what do I know? I've never had one.

mammoth is offline Member
    Speaking from experience I can truly say that having a job that is very satisfying and only making enough money to barely scrape by is bullshit! Happiness comes when you have alot of money coming in AND are happy where you work. Those are two scenarios that rarely are intertwined. Higher paying jobs IMO are typically the jobs that require alot more dedication and mental stamina, and that is where the un-happiness usually stems from. This can also happen at a lower paying job. In summary, it is wise to choose a profession that not only pays well, but also provides satisfaction. You can't avoid the stress of having to work with assholes. There everywhere! I am rambling so I will shut-up now!!

dizzle is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel
    Happiness is more important than money IMO.
    Take it from me, you can have plenty of money and be miserable.

D
    True Diesel.

Biggie said it "Mo Money, Mo Problems"

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    I'm with Mammoth on this one having a great job you love and pays little will have rewards but when can you call it quits and reap the rewards...........when your 67 living off of Medicaid and socal security?

Screw that, find the highest paying job, get in make as much cash as you can. Money is NOT the root of all evil, the LOVE of money is the root of all evil. Nothing wrong with having money but when it becomes the end all be all of your existance then you have a problem. jmo bros

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    I was in my mid 20's making a low 6 figure salary and very unhappy. I didn't get a chance to enjoy the money. My ex-wife did. Now I have a job I love, make great money (again), and I don't have to travel nearly as much.

I was on both ends of the spectrum of this.... When I got out of scool I was broke for a few years but I was happy..... then I eneded up with a consulting firm made big bucks but was unhappy. I think happiness goes a long way.... money comes and goes.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    A sensible approach would be to clearly define your financial goals ( as a couple? ) and then work the six figure job until you have reached them. Then she can concentrate on the charity job or volunteer or spend time doing whatever she thinks is a good way to contribute to society.

Update: She is going in for an interview tomorrow for the less paying job. Only thing is, she starts school for her masters in two weeks.
    It really isnt for me to decide.

calidude is offline Senior Member
    Normally i would say take the job she enjoys, because if she hates it she will complain to you about it every single day. But $90k difference could possibly buy happiness That is a huge difference.

Is it a bad thing if I am trying to find a girl who has a good job and kinda toss away the ones who dont?

Sure if i met her and she worked as a secretary making like 10 dollars an hour that would be a different
    But I met her knowing she has potential.
    VERY TOP of her class highschool and college. Full scholarship for her bachelors and now masters.

Why settle for less? Does that sound bad?/
    I know someone is gonna say " If you love her it wouldnt matter" But Im sure I would find someone else I love who has all of that..

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    happiness before money bro. do what makes you happy, otherwise whats the point?

Quote Originally Posted by symatech
    happiness before money bro. do what makes you happy, otherwise whats the point?
    Being broke can make a person miserable regardless of the joy that a job could bring. Prozac can solve un-happiness, but what solves being broke??? j/k

Quote Originally Posted by mammoth
    Being broke can make a person miserable regardless of the joy that a job could bring.
    That's just because broke people dont consider all their options. Their focus lies mostly on money...

That's just because broke people dont consider all their options. Their focus lies mostly on money...
    Heres a scenario for ya.... A man works at a job for 20 years that he loves. Corporate downsizing includes him in a lay-off. Due to economic constraints the man is now only able to find a job that pays half of what he was making. Now the man is miserable because he has to work two jobs in order to keep himself from ruining his credit and possibly losing his home.

What options does a broke person have? I am broke and I have exhausted all efforts in figuring out how to make life easier for myself at the current income that I have. The stress of living paycheck to paycheck cause misery! I can't live in my house without money. I can't eat food without money. I can drink fucking water without money. I can't drive my car without money. People used to be able to barter there way through life, however this is the 21st century and nothing can be achieved without money. If you have children and a wife to support then you understand the importance of money.

My focus DOES lie primarily on money because without money I can't provide for my family.
    Last edited by mammoth; 08-27-2003 at 12:53 PM.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    symtech I agree with you to a point but mammoth is dead on. When you have no money to provide for you and your family money is all you can think about. Having money does not make you happy but not having any and living hand to mouth is not living at all.

Question to you Symatech; are you married and working? No disrespect to you at all brother, just curious. Maybe I can identify more with mammoth seeing how I'm in the same boat with him (wife and children). And wait until you have children (if you plan on having any one day) your thoughts concerning yourself and the wife's preservation will take a backseat to making sure they have all you can provide for them.

I will never be rich, hell I'll be lucky if I'll be able to afford to live in a van down by the river when it's time to retire. Heck who am I kidding I'll bet you cash money you'll see me in a store asking you if you want paper or plastic someday.

Greater things can be achieved without money than with money. But as you said in the 21st century people aren't mainly concerned with the greater things. they are all to much forgotten. Now, granted, with a family there comes more responsiblity. A home, food water etc. But I think that stressing about credit etc is not necessary. You dont need credit to live a fullfilling life. Shit do what you want to do, what makes you happy. if you like corporate jobs than they should make you happy even if you dont make as much. IF you find that you arent happy maybe it was the money you liked before -but maybe not...-

I dont know bro, sail around the world (yeah you can get paid to do that) albeit a small salary see what life has to offer you, "its only after youve lost everything that your free to do anything" - some movie i forgot which one NOw i dont want to sound preachy bro. Im not sayin 'oh you need to do this and that' I have nothing but respect for the way people live their lives as long as they live for something they believe in. And as long as that belief is something that is deeper than money. In the great depression people jumped out of windows because they lost 'everything' no, not everything, they lost their money. Big deal. To all those fools that committed suicide over something like money didnt have the courage to see life without it.

when we leave this world we all want to leave behind something. some lesson for our children, a mark that shows what we truely lived for, and when I die I hope mine has nothign to do with a piece of paper.

I understand stress that involves money, my life was almost taken because of money I owed to the wrong people. And it wasnt until that moment, when I realized I was going to die, that I realized how unessential money really is. Luckily I was saved -though to this day I dont understand how- and I was able to get back on top. I am not a rich man and dont think I ever will be, but that doesnt bother me. As long as I am happy who gives a shit how much money I have. I dont need the nicest house or car to feel like my life is worth something, I have found something deeper than that. and that alone makes me happy.

juggernaut and mammoth. Bros You are right on, like I said having a family brings more responsiblity and in this day and age -sad as it may be- we need money to support them. i dont have a family, yet, but I hope that when i do I can take comfort in them. Like I said before, I dont mean to preach or anything, I dont claim to know something you dont or any bullshit like that. I respect that you take care of your families because I know plenty of people who have bailed when things got tight. It takes courage, to live through the tough times. But there is always a brighter day ahead.

Symantech...you mentioned that you don't need credit lead a fullfilling life. While this may sit true with single people who have little to no responsibility to anyone but themselves, it unfortunately doesn't jive with the family life. Hell even single people will have trouble to a certain extent without credit. In this day and age, no credit is almost as bad as bad credit. Many things require credit including renting apartments. Once you establish good credit and see what power it affords you.

Me personally, I am not happy living humble. I have too many hobbies that make me happy (Tennis, Bodybuilding, etc....). That is where I derive my happiness from. Call me materialistic, but that is how it is and there is no changing that. Not everybody has the ability to find joy in living with nothing in there pockets and traveling the world.

About the "getting paid to sail around the world". What good is it to sail around the world if you have to work during the term? I would like to own my own sailboat and travel around the world while relaxing without a worry. That my friend takes money. Money that you don't get from living humble.

To each his own though. If living broke truly and undeniably makes you happy then more power to you. Not everyone is able to do that regardless of what "options" are available.

There is a difference in "living broke" and "living a comfortable, content, comfortable life." You don't have to be rich (i.e. 6 figure income) to be happy. Granted, being broke would suck...but having money along with little happiness (like hating your job and to have your family not even know who you are)doesn't - in my opinion - outweigh finding the middle ground. Find the job that pays decent and that you enjoy doing. Become better at it than anyone else. You will be happier than most if you can accomplish this. Probably even end up making lots of money in the long run also. Just my .02 - for what it's worth.

peace,

ttgb

Good point bro.

This thread has reminded me of my childhood years. My single mother raised my sister and myself on around 35k a year. Thats waaay less than 6 figures. Money was always tight with us, infact we have declared bankruptcy twice. Now my mom has a new job and without having to support my sister and me she is finally out of debt (or will be in a year or so).

Despite all this my mother showed us nothing but love. And when I talk with her today she says she misses those days because we were together more. That I think is the handle. My mother was broke as fuck her whole life. But she is happy. You can tell just by looking in her eyes how at peace she is inside and that in turn makes me happy. It just goes to show you, happiness is wherever you find it. She has been about as broke as you can get...twice. But she still tells me it was worth it.

peace

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    Personally I think you gotta do wut you love. I hate working at a job I don't enjoy. I'm doing forklift driving and order picking as a summer job, and although the people are great, and the job is great for a summer job, I could not picture myself doing something like that full-time. Same as career wise, gotta be something you love. I'd rather be making about 60k (canadian) doing something I enjoy, then making 100k doing something that was terribly miserable, and dreaded going into work each day.

Take it from someone who HATES his job... but has to stay on for the $$$

If you have a choice, do what you like!

It's a long long life when you don't enjoy your work.

Red

bedrocked is offline Junior Member
    personally my goal after school is to make the bucks so i can live comfortably and when/if ever i am 'set' i'll go back to a rewarding job.

TRUE to the POINT that when you have everything and then drop back down to nothing you tend to enjoy the things you do have after that. BUT it seems that if you start from nothing and have never seen the top, you are just more anxious to get up there.
    I figure I will just currupt her and involve her in the finer things until she gets so used to it and then she is trapped in that lifestyle. Once there she will wanna stay there. Hence, the better paying job.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Having read some of these great posts I have to say my feelings lean more to Mammoth's train of thought.

In my world wealth is simply a measure of freedom. Wealth is how long you can sustain yourself and your lifestyle WITHOUT working. Less than 3 months is the norm. Fit into this category? About 95% of North Americans do, including me. Unfortunately.

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    She should make the money while she can, save up a nestegg pay off her loans. then once money is squared away, she'll be worth more to a company because she worked somewhere like that. A high salary at your last job proves you're worth it. Go for the cash!

what is enough money? I read an article some time back where they interviewed several hundred millionaires. They asked all if them if they felt financially stable. 80% responded "no" to the question. At what point do you become satisfied and realize the little things in life? I don't want to die wishing I had done more with my life. I live my life enjoying what I have already accomplished. Granted, I look forward to accomplishing more...but appreciating what I currently have is something I am glad I learned to do. I have been a happier person ever since.

peace,

ttgb

Exactly. It's never enough. Ever notice how the richest people are the greediest? Always wanting more and more? You will never be satisfied. YOu cant ignore the little things in life as IT IS THE LITTLE THINGS that make up life.

ENOUGH SHOULD NEVER BE ENOUGH. Im glad people keep wanting more. It shows they are not satisfied with their current position.
    If MAN said "Hey, we are fine where we are" then we would still be in the fuckin middle ages with NO SOAP, no windows, no doctors, no vaccines for the plagues, and no civil society.

It is in our nature to strive for perfection. There is no such thing as perfection so we will not stop.

Those who say they are happy and content with what they have: I bet there is more out there that they want. Maybe at a different level. Maybe that 27" tv would look better if it were a 29"
    Millionares wanna be billionares. Billionares wanna have power. Middle class people want to be in the 6 digits.
    The more you have, the more you spend.

ME: I enjoy OPTIONS. Money provides me with OPTIONS. The option to sleep in or not go to work.
    I hope I am NEVER in the position where I ASK CO WORKERS IF THEY CAN GIVE ME THEIR HOURS BECAUSE I NEED THE MONEY.
    Never in the position where I have only 5 dollars to last me til Friday and it is only Tuesday.
    I am usually the first to give those people 20 bucks just so they arent in that position. Having money lets me do that.
    Thats about it.

Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    In my world wealth is simply a measure of freedom. Wealth is how long you can sustain yourself and your lifestyle WITHOUT working. Less than 3 months is the norm. Fit into this category? About 95% of North Americans do, including me. Unfortunately.
    You hit the nail on the head with that one!

When I refer to being "broke" I am not necessarily reffering to people who make a very small salary. You can be a billionaire and still be broke. Wealth is measured by ones Net Worth. Your Net worth is your assets minus liabilities (debt). I make a fair salary that I could easily live on even with a large family. I have many assets at the moment. My problem is that I made the mistake of getting myself into debt. Therefore I am broke. HOWEVER, even though I am broke I have still have enabled myself to be able to enjoy life. It is the money that I made and spent that allow me to still enjoy myself and be happy even though I am in debt. If I had never made alot of money I wouldn't have what I have and I wouldn't be able to enjoy doing what I do. Luckily I don't have to work 2 jobs (yet) in order to maintain my lifestyle. I have made adjustments that allows me to pay off my debt, and I am doing so at a rapid pace. One day I will be debt free and still have the same assets that I obtained throughout the years.

There really is no reference point as to what can make a person happy regarding finances. We are human and diverse in cultural practices. I grew up in a below average income household. I was not taught to enjoy the simplicities of life. In fact I was not taught anything really. I developed my tastes through trial and error. Once I got a sample of what it was like to have money, happiness, and the comfort that it brought, I decided I would never go back. Like I said before, to each his own. I do believe it is possible for people to be happy at all possible incomes. However, that does not mean that everyone can follow the same formula. If life was an exact science then things would be drastically different in terms of our economy. Not all rich people are greedy and not all poor people are humble.

Quote Originally Posted by mammoth
    I do believe it is possible for people to be happy at all possible incomes. However, that does not mean that everyone can follow the same formula. If life was an exact science then things would be drastically different in terms of our economy. Not all rich people are greedy and not all poor people are humble.
    This is a good point bro. Life is different for everybody, find out whats right for you and live that. Just remember what ol shakespeare said "to thine own self be true." This is a good thread btw.

peace

This is a good point bro. Life is different for everybody, find out whats right for you and live that. Just remember what ol shakespeare said "to thine own self be true." This is a good thread btw.

peace
    That quote simplifies my point. To hell with what other people think about how YOU should live your life. Stay true to yourself, follow your feelings, and ignore what mainstream society tells you is right. Unless your name happens to be Nathan or CYCLEON, in which then you should listen to what the nice men in white lab coats tell you to do because its for the benefit of society!! j/k

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information