bedrocked is offline Junior Member

anyone really good with cars? (mechanics?)

i'm having starting problems with my 98 lexus es300. when i turn it on, the engine starts up but doesn't turn over (i.e. revs up then when rpms drop to 0 and engine shuts off). i have to give the car gas for it to turn over. anyhow i really know jack sh*t about cars so was wondering what it could be. i don't want to show up at the dealership/mechanics and have them tell me it's something it's not. any help would be much appreciated. thanks in advance!

bigal81 is offline New Member
    Hey bro im not a mechanic but.......i know enough. Sounds like some sort of fuel problem. Fuel pump, fuel filter,Or possibly A bad fuel injector. Hey might wanna check your spark plugs also. Theyre cheap and fast to install. Let us know what it is when you find out cuz i wanna see if im right.hehe. Good luck bro.

Al

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    I'd have to say it has something to do with the fuel as well. But with all the computerized components in the new cars today it could be something to do with the computer. But from what you described it sure sounds like fuel is not getting to the injectors or is clogging up. When was the last time you had the injectors cleaned?

Quote Originally Posted by bedrocked
    i'm having starting problems with my 98 lexus es300. when i turn it on, the engine starts up but doesn't turn over (i.e. revs up then when rpms drop to 0 and engine shuts off). i have to give the car gas for it to turn over. anyhow i really know jack sh*t about cars so was wondering what it could be. i don't want to show up at the dealership/mechanics and have them tell me it's something it's not. any help would be much appreciated. thanks in advance!

Bro, considering it's a Lexus, I'd take it to the dealer... too much electronics in there to mess around... it can be so many things.

From the sounds of it I'd say it may be a sticky or deffective IAC (Idle Air Controller valve) or TPS (Throttle Position Sensor), but without seeing the car these are just likely guesstimates at the problem.

It can be as basic as a fuel problem (blocked filter), an air problem (clogged air filter), or a spark problem (HV electric system), but it can be much more...

If this were a beater like a '76 Pinto I'd say lets go for the D-I-Y approach and mess with it. But if you got no knowledge of mechanics I'd say a '98 Lexus goes to the dealer or at the very least a mechanic friend who can look at it.

Sorry I can't be more helpfull bro

Red

The Base is offline Associate Member
    Bro,

take it to a main dealer, they ain't gonna fuck you around with telling you its something that it's not. It's not in their interest.

Whilst you're there get it serviced, it'll run like a dream afterwards.

I've got a beamer 328ci and it goes to the main dealer all the time, I have never bean ripped off. After all, BMW is BMW!!

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    sounds like you need your idle speed adjusted.

cfiler is offline Anabolic Member
    Sounds like a fuel problem. Your injectors could be dirty, fuel pressure set too low, fuel filter clogged, fuel pump relay burned out, fuseable link, ect.

Take it to your local lexus toyota dealer, they will not mess around with you. They can't afford to. If they screw customers over, how will they be able to sell their cars? They have to be relativley honest. Plus their mechanics are trained to now about the Lexus vehicles.

bedrocked is offline Junior Member
    thanks guys appreciate it.. will take it in to toyota.

chevy44 is offline Member
    im thinking its the iac valce or tps sensor

lloyd_cannon is offline Associate Member
    cant be spark plugs or clogged injector cause itll turn over just check fuel line,
    oh yah (gas tank make sure you have gas that usually helps). Thats basically all you can do yourself then take it to the dealer cause it sounds complicated you didnt give it a jump start did you? That can fry computers if you dont do it right considering voltage spikes and such. Cars these days are so jampacked with shit for effeciancy and emmision control you cant work on em.

FrkyBgStok is offline Senior Member
    if the tp sensor was bad, it prolly wouldn't start, but the iac (idle air control valve (aka air bypass valve) could be sticking. It would also make sense the when you give it gas you are opening the throttle plate and giving it air. The engine needs three things to start and run- fuel, air, and spark. because it starts you have spark. unless it cranks for a while, you prolly aren't have a fuel pump leak down, but you could have another fuel problem. Hope this helps a little (this is all assuming the lexus has an iac valve).

Thread Information