956Vette is online now AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

Who's Gone Huntin This Season?

I just got back from going dove hunting. It had been awhile, but i still got my limit . I cannot wait until duck/deer/quail season starts up around Texas!

So, has anyone had an amazing hunting trip so far? Where was it? What did you get?

caturpilar is offline Associate Member
    Well I'm sure this doesn't really count as huntin trip, but between my parents and uncles I have around 600 acres of prime hunting area(deer season). Usually I just kill the biggest I find to fill my freezer regardless of gender, but last year I got my biggest buck which was only an 8 pt but it had a 17 1/2 inch spread and dressed around 200. That was my best trip. Oh the place is located in NW Missouri.

Contender is offline Junior Member
    Damn Caturpilar, nice buck bro, i have a 2200 acre hunting lease here in Fla. full of wild boar, Osceola Turkey, and Deer,(we have feeders all over the property...lol) nothing like the northern States though, but its still a load of fun hunting the pigs, we bowhunt em and gun hunt, and occasionally catch them with dogs, do castration on boars and let them go to become Bar hogs(better eating)......956vette, im going to Illinois this year to bowhunt in November.....man i cant wait, i got a doe last year(in Illinois) and saw some huge bucks but none within bow range, maybe this year.......my fingers are crossed,its the damn cold weather that kills me,(being a native Floridian) its hard to stay on stand,and even draw my bow in that cold white stuff......lol

BDTR is offline Retired
    I won't kill anything for sport unless it can kill me back (no i don't consider hunting dangerous)... Haven't gone hunting since I was a kid but it was fun i suppose, I always wanted to wrestle a bear. I do go shooting 3x a week though for sport, one of my few beloved pastimes..

BDTR is offline Retired
    Oh and dont' take this the wrong way. I could care less about killing animals and it has nothing to do with compasion... I'm a firm believer in the theory that the strong must be encouraged and the weak must be silently removed so I'm hardly a bleeding heart. I just don't find it exciting.

bdtr........hey bro im with you to a point...I always eat what I harvest(always), and damn them wild pigs are the best bro, good lean meat...lol, and fat with the corn we feed em, and bowhunting them is pretty exciting, gives ya quite a rush when ya see em so close and all your shit has to be perfect before the shot.....but i respect your theory about the strong and the weak...great point bro

Blog Entries
    Damn Contender, Your land sounds like loads of fun!!! I really want to go boar huntin soon. One of my buddies invited me to go with him, but the guy is INSANE! He goes out there with his AK47, .45, and 7mag all on him and supposedly goes to town on the pigs lol.

bdtr, i definately respect you point of view. Im just basically an asshole with minimal respect for things that shit on my car, so my theory is this: If it flies, it dies!

Quote Originally Posted by 956Vette
    One of my buddies invited me to go with him, but the guy is INSANE! He goes out there with his AK47, .45, and 7mag all on him and supposedly goes to town on the pigs lol.

Whats his name? Tackleberry?

jarrett is offline Senior Member
    alagator hunting friday and sat. and teal season opens sunday so i got my weekend planned

956vette.......shit bro Texas has some of the best boar hunting in the states ive seen several websites with some killer pics of some monster boars, but if your ever Florida way PM me and we will set something up, would love to have the company and the backup(lol).....and it will only cost you 1 cycle of gear(kidding..lol) weve got some real quality Fla. boars though, and you are more than welcome bro, your boy uses some heavy artillery, we use a bow or a 22 hornet, im not using the dogs as much any more its pretty brutal on the dogs, the pit bulls and currs get pretty tore up sometimes when they catch the hogs we use a piece of tire around their chest for protection but here lately the dogs have still been getting cut up so im getting away from that all together....but you can shoot all ya want......lol.......ciao

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Damn all this talk about hunting has me wanting to do some myself. I haven't been deer hunting in quite some time now. I'm going to have to make a trip back home and throw some lead around.

Contender, that avatar fits you to a T bro. Never hunted boar with a bow though, sounds tough. Now how do you run and shoot at the sametime? HA last time out one of those damn pigs chased me up a tree....mean bastards!

Vette, were you on private land or a public spot? I love dove hunting...............but I'm a losy shot. Last time I shot up two boxes of shells on an afternoon hunt and killed maybe 10 birds.........so sad. Ha

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut2148
    Contender, that avatar fits you to a T bro. Never hunted boar with a bow though, sounds tough. Now how do you run and shoot at the sametime? HA last time out one of those damn pigs chased me up a tree....mean bastards!

Vette, were you on private land or a public spot? I love dove hunting...............but I'm a losy shot. Last time I shot up two boxes of shells on an afternoon hunt and killed maybe 10 birds.........so sad. Ha
    Hell ya that avatar fits Contender I will definately look ya up if i head to FL!

I was on private land, and also am a fairly losy shot. Thank God the game wardens never come around the place i go to (i usually need my 5 shots lol)

Thanx Bros....yeah when i saw that avatar i had to have it...lol, and Jugg shit your a stones throw away from me bro, when ya get all healed up and are feeling froggy, drive on down and lets go, oh and we sit in treestands, or on my swamp buggy,christ i dont think i could run and shoot at the same time.....lol, oh and ive been chased several times myself just taking down feeders or putting up stands, the sows with the piglets are the worst, the piglets are curious and come up to you to see what ya are, and then BAM here comes mama....lol, never got cut yet, but have been oh so close, and once even taking a whiz i had some piglets appear at my feet and the chase was on....lol, ive always gotten away thus far, my buddy got mowed down once and mauled up pretty good though, so when you ready you let me know bro.......Cntndr

Cntndr, did you have time to zip up? lol Cool beans bro, thanks for the invite, I might just take you up on it seriously.

I can cover you when you have to go. If you hear a scream just start runnin. hahaha

BUYLONGTERM is offline Anabolic Member
    What part of FL? I'm down there a lot in the winter....

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 956Vette
    If it flies, it dies!

Cracked me up bro!

I didn't read that until you mentioned it Palme..................damn it.... and I just bought a cape to go with the cool leotards. Well I suppose I'll just have to steer clear of Texas! I couldn't afford the "bullets bounce off" feature.

buylongterm.........im in SW Fla. near Ft. Myers, im coming your way in Nov. to bowhunt, going to Winnebago county just outside of Rockford, my uncle is the retired Sheriff of Winnebago county, this will be my second time up, got a doe last year with the bow and saw a ton of nice bucks, but not within bow range but maybe this year ill be there from Nov. 4th till the 16th for the big bowhunt, the winter here is the best time for the hog hunts, nice and cool and the pigs move alot more to stay warm, no mosquitos, no bugs, the best time is between Oct.and Feb. keep in touch bro, the door is open, i love to take people who have never been, its a blast and quite the rush......Cntndr

BUYLONGTERM is offline Anabolic Member
    I have a buddy who hunt in Ft. Myers...I am there usually a couple of times a year. Thanks for the invite, I will definitely have to take you up on it!!!!!

Can't wait for the season to open here...

October small game opens, so I'll be happy to bag some partridge and hare. All done with a 22 I used to hunt partridge with a shotgun but it was too easy. With a 22 you really need skill (and an accurate gun!) to bag partridges. I use a highly accurized Ruger 10/22 (soft bolt-stop, green mountain barrel, home machined and polished trigger group, 1.5-4x Tasco Gold scope, 2 stock 10 shot clips for hunting, 5 RamLine 30 shot clips for plinking, completely stock look)

And then in November, white tail deer season opens here... wooo! I'll put mister Browning A-Bolt 30-06 to work then

My view on huting is simple... you kill it, you eat it. I am not a fan of trophy hunting.

Red

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    Ive only been out hunting here in MT like 3 times. Everytime I went out I bagged a whitetail. Shit the damn things run in herds of 20-30, just shoot into the crowd. hehe. I dont have to wait for a hunting season, I just go out with my wife's uncle on the rez.. its year-round hunting. Shoot what you want. He ever bagged bambi the sick bastard. He's home growing some in his barn... lol a petting zoo.. goats,sheep,pigs,deer,horses.

someday is offline Member
    man i went to kill some doves in oklahoma this last weekend and all i got was one sparrow who kept fuckin with me...only saw like 15 birds the whole day. However in october im goin to cali and gettin some quail,pig, and deer, maybe a turkey if he pops his head up....just got a new rifle too browning A-bolt with the BOSS in 300 wsm...

Hey contender do yall carry sidearms when you hunt pigs??

Quote Originally Posted by bigol'legs
    Ive only been out hunting here in MT like 3 times. Everytime I went out I bagged a whitetail. Shit the damn things run in herds of 20-30, just shoot into the crowd. hehe. I dont have to wait for a hunting season, I just go out with my wife's uncle on the rez.. its year-round hunting. Shoot what you want. He ever bagged bambi the sick bastard. He's home growing some in his barn... lol a petting zoo.. goats,sheep,pigs,deer,horses.
    Damn, herds? Really? I'd love to go on a hunting trip to MT. I heard the country is awesome up there!

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    Ya its great. to bad im not really a hunter. Im a camper 8). But everyone loves the elk up here to. And if ya got enough money.... bear hunting. but you gotta be first in line cause they dont give to many of those out.

bouya_ak is offline Junior Member
    I used to love dove hunting in Kansas, one time I hit one of those little basterd's with a 3'' 12ga at about 10 yard's now I live in Alaska the deer are a lot smaller (sitka black tail) and a lot smarter, I only shot one black bear last year (almost 6') and a moose big mofo it had a 55'' rack deer season just opened so I'll be killing at least 6 of em this year!
    Oh yea, the fishing is great, I've cought a 46lb king salmon this year and a bunch of 30lb's, Alaska is the shiznit :/:

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    I have a coon dog for sale if any body needs one. I'll sell it cheap...

Here's a picture:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who's Gone Huntin This Season?-coon_dog.jpg  
    Last edited by tryingtogetbig; 09-11-2003 at 09:44 PM.

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    Actually, I do a lot of hunting too. Mainly quail and pheasant now days. Still go deer hunting every year, but just meat. Killed about 50 dove this past weekend. I hadn't been dove hunting in a couple of years...good fun!

I tried to put a picture of my trophy deer from 3 years ago. I scanned it too high of res...I'll scan again and post it. It's a 15 point, 197.5 B&C. It was a 16 point, but he had broke off one of his points. Brow tines are about 9 inches long. I'll see if I can find the picture and rescan.

peace,

ttgb

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tryingtogetbig
    I have a coon dog for sale if any body needs one. I'll seel it cheap...

Here's a picture:

Ill take it!

Now that there's a fine dog you have TTGB! Now how could you part with such an animal? hahaha

Thread Information