Terinox is offline The One & Only

Mercury poinsoning from tuna?

Can you get mercury poisoning from tuna, if you are eating like 2-3 cans a day? I mean, that's not really THAT much is it? And what if you were to get mercury poisoning? Is it serious? Easily curable? Can you DIE from it?

Thnx,
    T.

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    YES. you definitely can. they say try to limit it to one can a week.. not 2-3 cans a day. Get some real fish.. salmon is the bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisAdams
    YES. you definitely can. they say try to limit it to one can a week.. not 2-3 cans a day. Get some real fish.. salmon is the bomb.
    ONE CAN A WEEEEEEEEK? YOU'RE KIDDING RIGHT?!?

Lostsoul is offline Associate Member
    geez Terinox you must like tuna, yeah you can get poisioning from it, i only eat 2 large cans a week (lunch). I couldnt imagine eating more.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostsoul
    geez Terinox you must like tuna, yeah you can get poisioning from it, i only eat 2 large cans a week (lunch). I couldnt imagine eating more.
    Well last year during my cycle I ate 2 cans of tuna straight out of the can, one after my workout, and another one in the evening at home. I was perfectly fine. Didn't make me sick or anything. Hell, I've heard of people on this board eating 4-6 cans of tuna per day, and I'm pretty sure they are still alive

Lostsoul is offline Associate Member
    well i guess there must be a test for mercury in the blood, but i've never heard anyone dying from it, i guess levels can build up for years, but how much mercury can there be in 1 can of tuna? maybe 0.000000001 parts per million? gunna take a lot of cans to get to lethal levels i'd imagine.

Eating tuna out of the can? ewww i was never able to do that, i gotta make it with pasta and cheese to mask the taste.

caturpilar is offline Associate Member
    I agree with lostsoul, highly doubtful you'll get merc. posioning from eating tuna regardless if its 2 cans/wk or 2 cans/day. If it were possible I think there would be a warning on the can. Not to mention you'd have bbers dropping like flies.

TheGame826 is offline Member
    yeah i eat like three cans a day sometimes. and ofcourse right out of the can, i love that stuff.

i really dont see how you could get mercury poisoning either way i doubt it would stop me from eating it.

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    Tuna str8 from the can is alot tastier then when it's washed that is for sure. I have ate about 4 cans a day for about 2 years maybe more. For me tuna is the ultimate source of protein it just gets old.

realityarts is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by realityarts
    Seems to be the main concern is for pregnant women and young children. I guess us guys should be fairly okay

Yes, tuna straight out of the can is the shit. I put a little bit of lemon juice on it, it becomes very tasty! Also, try to eat it first, before other things, that way, you are actually HUNGRY when you need it, and when you're hungry, you pretty much eat anything. It tastes much better if you are eating it when you are hungry, apposed to after having eating some other things like salads, fruits, etc...

Well, this sounds like yet another "everything is dangerous for you" scare...

I grew up in the Saguenay area eating tons of mercury infested fish (in a "killer crib" painted with lead paint, played int he "dangerous" McDonalds parcs... and so on and so on) and am still alive today

Besides, here in Canada the standards for canned fish are VERY high compared to most other countries... I would not really worry about it myself.

I remember reading somewhere that to get to dangerous PPM levels of mercury, you would have to eat dozens and dozens of cans per day. Gonna have to find that article.

Red

mass junkie is offline banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup
    Well, this sounds like yet another "everything is dangerous for you" scare...

I grew up in the Saguenay area eating tons of mercury infested fish (in a "killer crib" painted with lead paint, played int he "dangerous" McDonalds parcs... and so on and so on) and am still alive today

Besides, here in Canada the standards for canned fish are VERY high compared to most other countries... I would not really worry about it myself.

I remember reading somewhere that to get to dangerous PPM levels of mercury, you would have to eat dozens and dozens of cans per day. Gonna have to find that article.

Red
    good........cuz i gotte eat my tuna...........

I read elsewhere about how some BBers were accumulating mercury (from tuna) in their brains, and had to stop eating it...

Tuna is such a good food for BBers though. I wonder if there is a company that is selling certified mercury-free tuna. I know there are some that are selling mercury-free salmon (and fish oil).

someday is offline Member
    Man..................................you ever heard of the mad hatters???? that saying came from the mercury they used every day to shape hats it made the m nuuckin futzzzzzz anyhow i eat liek 5 cans a day and never been worriedtell i readthis thread........although i have wondered wha tis it that you find in the tuna sometimes.....

I mean like t hisone time i found a big black hard chunck and i was worried but ate everything else..AND heSOKAY!!!!!!!!!!!! hurraay hurryaa ok........im onde its time for trhe bedand the whatnot.........

NATHAN....touch my balls.......and your gay

Quote Originally Posted by someday
    Man..................................you ever heard of the mad hatters???? that saying came from the mercury they used every day to shape hats it made the m nuuckin futzzzzzz anyhow i eat liek 5 cans a day and never been worriedtell i readthis thread........although i have wondered wha tis it that you find in the tuna sometimes.....
    I mean like t hisone time i found a big black hard chunck and i was worried but ate everything else..AND heSOKAY!!!!!!!!!!!! hurraay hurryaa ok........im onde its time for trhe bedand the whatnot.........
    NATHAN....touch my balls.......and your gay
    If I could find some mercury-free tuna, I'd probably eat that many cans too. I've been taking some 'pharmacuetical grade' fish oil - mercury free, which helps... I'd sure like to eat more tuna though.

If any one finds some mercury-free canned tuna, post the place to get it...thanks.

Ah-ha!!!

Got the "Canadian Food Inspection Agency" fact sheet on mercury in fish...

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/...mercurye.shtml

They say it is true that FRESH and FROZEN tuna have a lot of mercury, but canned tuna has much less...

and I quote...

he species used in canned tuna tend to be smaller and shorter lived than those used in the fresh and frozen market; therefore, the level of mercury found in canned tuna tends to be lower than that of fresh and frozen tuna.

Probably not completely mercury free, but hey... gotta die of something!

Red

Ah-ha!!!

They say it is true that FRESH and FROZEN tuna have a lot of mercury, but canned tuna has much less...

and I quote...

he species used in canned tuna tend to be smaller and shorter lived than those used in the fresh and frozen market; therefore, the level of mercury found in canned tuna tends to be lower than that of fresh and frozen tuna.

Red
    Aint that the truth bro! Gotta die of something, might as well be DYING HUGE!!

Ah-ha!!!
    [...]
    Red
    I wonder how much is "less?" I guess I'll do some searching, so that I can decide it I want to eat more or less...

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    When I lived in Osaka Japan, there is a town near there named Amagasaki. Many years ago there were a rash of mercury poisonings. They quickly linked it to the amt of certain fishes that were eaten. It was called the "Itai Itai" disease..when just mean "Ouch," but the people that suffered from it said many more vulgar or painful words I am sure! Of course most fish markets cleared their stocks and a public education program on the limiting for tuna and bonito intake was implemented by the govt's health ministry. Between mercury poisoning from tuna or cholestrol from a bacon, sausage, egg and cheese sandwich in the mornings I guess that I am screwed either way!

dccreatine is offline New Member

Tuna and Mercury

I used to eat btw 4-7 cans of tuna a day. I had a blood test taken , and it revealed a high level of mercury. Normal blood level is 18 nmol mercury (Hg), but mine was 44 nmol. I am not eating seafood for awhile, just to make sure. Plus, mercury stays in the body, and you need to get medication for it to be desorbed from the body.

Big
    Big is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ "Enforcer"
    Welcome to the board.
    Your first post bumped a thread that's 4 years old.

domeyeahaigh is offline Senior Member
    hahahahahahahaaha well; this is not a bad topic to bring up...for those worried about tuna, switch to canned chicken!!! tastes better and worry free on mercury poisoning, has a bit more fat but it is almost nil. good luck.

godkilla is offline Senior Member
    ill eat a can a day max. thats about alll the tuna i can stomach. i hate that stuff, lol.

afslc is offline New Member
    Eat all the tuna you want..... haha

MotoLifter is offline Senior Member
    ^^^^^ why bump this again? is post count that important to you? go to the whore thread if it is
    Last edited by MotoLifter; 09-28-2010 at 05:22 PM.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Another newbie bumping an OLD thead. See where Big gave the other guy sh*t. His first and LAST post... One of the rules is to NOT bump old thread. Maybe you want to join the other old newbie whos first and last post was 3 years ago?

Thread Information