pumpseeker is offline Senior Member

Should I trade in my V Rod for a Fat Boy?

I recently bought a brand new 100 year anniversary edition Harley Davidson V Rod. The bike is freakin tight and fast as hell. But the thing is, I bought it on a whim, didn't do any research or test drive any other bikes and now I don't know if I would rather have a Fat Boy (the whole big, loud thing has me hooked). A couple shops around here have 1 last 2003 Fat Boy left but said they'd fuck me on a trade in value. If I want to do it, I'd have to sell the V Rod myself and lose probably $3,000-$4,000 from the deal. What's everybody's opinion here?

Rich8888 is offline Member
    the Fat Boy is a smoother ride over longer distances. Easier on your body....However for inner city commutes and shorter rides the new V is killer. It really is the dif in how you plan to ride.

I hear that! Any other opinions?

Some of the dealer affiliations here in the DAllas area are actullr selling the V's and the Sporties will a trade in value equal to what you paid!!! From what I understand, they are doing this in order to improve market share.

that sounds too good to be true! Got a number?

Rastus is offline Associate Member
    This the # for Harley Davidson of Dallas: (972) 270-3962

THe V-Rod is a nice nike, but the rides between the two are different. The Fat Boy is a better cruising bike. Depends on how and what you want to ride. I know the Harley shop here in Dallas does "test rides" on different bikes sometimes.

Here's my understanding of the deal. It is a dealer promo..from time to time they will run a special that will allow for full trade in value equal to what you paid....up to the first year. Currently the Dallas dealers are not running this program.

Although it may be too late for you to benefit...Call your dealer and ask if they have ever run this or heard of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich8888
    Here's my understanding of the deal. It is a dealer promo..from time to time they will run a special that will allow for full trade in value equal to what you paid....up to the first year. Currently the Dallas dealers are not running this program.

Although it may be too late for you to benefit...Call your dealer and ask if they have ever run this or heard of it.
    thanks guys! You were right. I called and spoke to a Dallas dealer and was told there was a promo like this. BUT, it was only on lower end models like sportsters and buells as a way for them to get you to upgrade. Also, you had to sign an agreement when purchasing the bike. Looks like I'll have to sell it on my own if I want to do the switch. I'd prolly get $17-18K for it, roughly a $3k loss (my bike came with a few upgrades). Then I'll end up paying $19-20k for a Fat Boy so all in all, I'm looking at loosing a possible $5K in the deal! That's a cycle of gh!!! I hear they're going to offer 30 colors next year on most models so maybe I'll wait.

Rastus is offline Associate Member
    I would wait til next year when the colors come back. I am not a big fan of the anniversary edition color scheme, and see too many of those bikes around. Also, keep in mind that you will lose the quickness and acceleration by going to the Fat Boy. They're not slow, but you will difinetly fell the change in power/acceleration.

ripped4fsu is offline Anabolic Member
    I rode a V-rod last weekend... Holy shit what a nice bike! and DAMN sexy looking too... unless you are planning to do some long road trips, or carry passengers regularly I say keep the V.

someday is offline Member
    I always liked the fat boy better, I'd say trade in the V. Lower the fat boy and put some of them pipes on it from harley that say "for off-road and racing use only" Oh, and please tell me you're not gonna get a windshield on it.

Gmill13 is offline Associate Member
    My beef with the VROD is the gas tank being so small and under the seat. Also not very comfortable on long rides, no?

Fat boys are nice!

ripsid is offline Senior Member
    Pumpseeker,
    Have you looked at the Big Dog's? or any of the other bikes? I tell you what up here in NJ we have a place called chrome palace (they have a web page in Chery Hill NJ) you'd probably get a good trade in and not to mention the big dogs are like factory customs (250 rears and nice paint, plus they have street pro's and rigids) also there's a place in NY LI I believe that has American Iron Horse's (I think that's the name) and they're sweet! If I could I'd trade my sporty in Straight the F* up and upgrade! I'm not a huge fan of the V-rod, but in hot bike they had one with a 280 rear tire, and painted and just sweet! I think there's a few other joints around, when i get back to the states, I'll try to find them (I'm in South America, Chile)

THERE'S SOME BAD ASS BIKES OUT THERE BRO!

SID

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Yeah right.... the only bike you ride is your Big Wheels, that you've had since you were 3 years old!

I can't wait to get me a bike. As soon as I get my street rod done, I'm selling her to buy me a bike.

ripsid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG TEXAN
    Yeah right.... the only bike you ride is your Big Wheels, that you've had since you were 3 years old!

I can't wait to get me a bike. As soon as I get my street rod done, I'm selling her to buy me a bike.
    T I wouldn't call putting fuzzy dice on a Pinto "getting a street rod done"

Serious, down in Texas there's several places that have awesome customs! There's one in dallas they always talk about in the mags, it used to one of the EasyRiders places but is converted back to something else I believe. The american Iron Horses are from Texas I believe....

SID

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Hey! I did alot more than put fuzzy dice on the pinto! I put some chrome looking hub caps, and even a chrome exhaust tip.

Actually there's a Harley shop in San Antonio I've been looking at. Thanks for the heads up though.

MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    You guys ever check out Victory Motorcycles?
    http://www.victory-usa.com/
    Beautiful bikes, good reputation, and no "Harley Club" B.S.

FRANK WHITE is offline Senior Member
    Get a fatboy bro. Its the ultimate cruising and attitude bike around. The V rod is sweet but if your going for all out performance save yourself 5g's and buy a Suzuki hayabasa. Just my opinion.

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by FRANK WHITE
    Get a fatboy bro. Its the ultimate cruising and attitude bike around. The V rod is sweet but if your going for all out performance save yourself 5g's and buy a Suzuki hayabasa. Just my opinion.
    I know you didnt insult this thread 10 degrees by comparing a fucking Jap bike to an American hog
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Thanks for all the opinions. Here's what I decided to do. I'm gonna buy a slightly used (like new though) 02 Fat Boy I found and keep both of them for a while. I think I'll drive both, see which one I like better, and sell the other. Or I might just hang on to both of them My wife won't like that but I would love it!

And that Victory bike is nice but I've gotta have a Harley, no substitution IMO.

FRANK WHITE is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by abstrack
    I know you didnt insult this thread 10 degrees by comparing a fucking Jap bike to an American hog
    Ok. First, I watch American Chopper every monday and am a diehard American Bike Fan. Harley's, Indians, Orange County and West Coast Chopper, Victory's, etc. I personally wouldn't ever again buy a Japanese bike and have made the same comment you just did many times to other people in other situations. In this case it appeared pump might be looking for performance, thus the V rod, and I just threw that out there about the Suzuki. We can diss the Suzuki's all we want but the MF'er will go over 200mph. For sheer speed thats pretty damn fast. I'm glad Pump got a Fatboy, though, thats the best bike ever in my opinion. A nice day, a Fatboy, your women on back. It just doesn't get any better. Congrats Pump, and enjoy.
    Last edited by FRANK WHITE; 08-08-2003 at 07:12 PM.

someday is offline Member
    You ever look at Indians or Xcelsior Henderson? Both are long standing names in bikes, both older than harley I think. You're a lucky man if you can get and ride both though.

BIG R is offline Member
    After working 3 seasons on South Padre Island during BIke Week, I'd say that I liked the V rod's looks much better. That is a definate BAD ASS ride......stick with the V Rod. Just my .02 cents.

Peace
    R

Well, I got my Fat Boy. Decided to pick up a new one instead of dealing with a guy in Florida privately. He wanted me to wire money over in full and wait for the bike to arrive....yeah right.

I got an 03' anniversary edition in black with the pin stripe. The thing that's cool about it is it has a custom paint job on all new metal! So, I got both sets! The custom one is silver and blue with an eagle on the side of the tank. Tiiiiight! Just ordered my samson "ground pounder" exhaust pipes and a jet kit to be put on in the next week. I'm gonna shake the neighbors the fugg up!

Haven't decided yet if I'll keep the V Rod. I was getting all sad thinking about it last night. It really is a nice bike too. And now that I've broken it in gently, I can rag the shit out of it! I was told it will do 140 mph without breaking a sweat. God damn

the update.....I'm probably gonna keep both bikes. I've been riding both the last 2 weeks and it would be a shame to sell one of them. Got some loud ass pipes put on the Fat Boy too.

Gearhead007 is offline Associate Member

Two Hawgs!!!

ssssssssssssssssss
    Last edited by Gearhead007; 09-27-2007 at 07:46 PM.

Mighty Joe is offline Anabolic Member
    Pump, I been ridin for 25+ years! All hd's and the V-rod blew me away! I really liked it. I'm glad you kept both! I think everyone should have a minmum of 4 bikes in the garage.

As for the guy ragging the Jap bikes! Its kinda not fair, because they manufacture here in the USA and manage to give American workers jobs! And thats important now-a-days!

Keep the rubber side down bro!

MJ

mass junkie is offline banned
    Damn Pump your living that dream...............I guess im still young, dumb, and full of cum but im never giving up my ninja!!!...........wouldnt mind a fat boy as well though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Joe
    Pump, I been ridin for 25+ years! All hd's and the V-rod blew me away! I really liked it. I'm glad you kept both! I think everyone should have a minmum of 4 bikes in the garage.

As for the guy ragging the Jap bikes! Its kinda not fair, because they manufacture here in the USA and manage to give American workers jobs! And thats important now-a-days!

Keep the rubber side down bro!

MJ
    It's been a while MJ! So you've been riding that long, huh? Don't tell me that's you in your avatar? I'm with you on having lots of bikes. My wife is still workin on me to sell 1 but that just can't happen! I've been riding a lot lately...yesterday, we had a crew 13 deep, mostly sport bikes though...just a few Harleys. Rode about 200 miles over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge to this Bar on the docks called "Red Eye"...cool place with a bikini contest and lots of eye candy partying in thongs on the boats!

What bike(s) are you riding now?

jersey juice is offline Member
    Bro, you can get a custom build bike for around 19-20k. I'm talking your choice between the Harley EVO motor, S&S or REVTECH and in all different sizes. If your set on Harley, get the EVO motor and the rest is all customed up for ya... you'll never have to worry about it getting lost in a parking lot. I'm gonna have one built next year, I'm stoked about it!!! Check out the Titan Sidewinder too, that's a pretty wicked bike!

Thread Information