Justarting is offline Associate Member

self defense techniques?

I am just wondering if anyone can link me to some good online self defense techniques for unarmed combat. Im just looking to defend myself in a fight
    thanks

realityarts is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Justarting
    I am just wondering if anyone can link me to some good online self defense techniques for unarmed combat. Im just looking to defend myself in a fight
    thanks
    I would highly recommend that you look into Reality-based defense (read offense) systems.

For example, you could start by having a look at www.scars.com, www.sammyfranco.com, and www.kravmaga.com.

These systems are much more suited for real life situations (e.g. street fights). Traditional "Marital Arts" tend to be quite theatrical and competitive - and are very "cooperative" in that your sparing partner is working with you to complete your technique (e.g. I kick, you fall...much like WWE wresting). Try to kick someone on the street that is ready to fight - you'll be on the ground. Also, reality fighting does little with regard to defensive blocking. It focuses rather on a non-stop violent assualt on the attacker - without regard to blocking anything. In other words, your offensive tactics are your defense.

In the Reality Arts you don't wait for the other person to kill you. You act first, and with everything you got - as a true warrior. It's better than being killed right up front by your attacker. [You at least remain alive to face any legal actions that may arise. Or, if you prefer, you can avoid any possible lawsuit and get busted up or murdered.]
    Last edited by realityarts; 09-14-2003 at 11:41 AM.

AbsolutelyLethal is offline Associate Member
    My friend trains with carlson gracie sr. and jr. in chicago for Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. BJJ is all ground work but good fighters are trained in how to control someone standing so that they can be brought down to the ground and taken care of. For proof check out the gracie in action tapes that show BJJ being challenged by every martial arts conceivable.

The other day junior said someone try to mug him on the streets for his wallet. Jr pulled his wallet out and place it one hand which he extended high above. When the guy reached for the wallet junior threw him to the ground and preceeded to pulverize him. Punches to the face and kicks/stomps to the stomach and side. The guy had numerous teeth knocked out and needed an ambulance to take him away. Supposedly since many Chicaco PD train with Jr he got into no trouble.

I agree with reality, most traditional martial-arts are too choreographed to be effective. The only thing I'm afraid of is people get a false sense of security. Krav maga for example teaches knife and gun disarms. Im sorry but if someone comes up to me and threatens to kill me with a knife/gun then you can have the twenty to forty bucks in my wallet!!!

BlocRoc is offline Member
    What about Muay Thai! There are variations of it that are designed to kill without the theatrics!

L8

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    First off reading or watching a video is not going to help you win a fight. Yes they can show you a few pointers but fighting takes alot of timing, and when executing techniques especially Martial Arts techniques, then practice is the only way to perfect them. Yes, you will find someone sayin, "watch our video or take our online training course and become a black belt", there is no way. Practice by perfecting techniques and experience are what win fights.
    I am a 2nd degree black belt, in a very effective style, but I have lost fights (yes even being a black belt). Wanna know why? Because I relied on one technique that I saw someone demonstrate on TV, thought I would try it and guess what I got tried on. the trick to fighting is learning how to adapt to any situation or any technique thrown at you. Adapting to fighting takes practice and experience. You can not be a good fighter over night. It takes years, to become a great fighter. When I first became a black belt, I thought I knew everything about fighting. Little did I know my learning was just beginning. There are many types of combat, some people are good with their hands. Some people are well balanced, and have a natural ability to fight better than others due to their training and experience. The only way to become a good fighter or someone who can protect yourself, is to practice, practice practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian30
    First off reading or watching a video is not going to help you win a fight. Yes they can show you a few pointers but fighting takes alot of timing, and when executing techniques especially Martial Arts techniques, then practice is the only way to perfect them. Yes, you will find someone sayin, "watch our video or take our online training course and become a black belt", there is no way. Practice by perfecting techniques and experience are what win fights.

I am a 2nd degree black belt, in a very effective style, but I have lost fights (yes even being a black belt). Wanna know why? Because I relied on one technique that I saw someone demonstrate on TV, thought I would try it and guess what I got tried on. the trick to fighting is learning how to adapt to any situation or any technique thrown at you. Adapting to fighting takes practice and experience. You can not be a good fighter over night. It takes years, to become a great fighter. When I first became a black belt, I thought I knew everything about fighting. Little did I know my learning was just beginning. There are many types of combat, some people are good with their hands. Some people are well balanced, and have a natural ability to fight better than others due to their training and experience. The only way to become a good fighter or someone who can protect yourself, is to practice, practice practice.
    I've haven't known anyone who tried to learn reality arts from a video. ALL of the reality arts have training facilities. I agree that you can pick up some pointers from videos or books for that matter, but it is only technical information that does no good without skill (from realistic training and experiences).

I agree about practice, but it also pales when compared to actually street fighting experience and real combat scenarios - in short REAL fighting experience. This, obviously does not negate training for potential scenarios - as long as it is based upon real life situations - taken from research done on violent attacks et cetera.

The reality fighter cares little about belts (black...) or stances..., rather more on how to disassemble the attacker fast and hard.

The wonder of reality fighting is that it doen't take years to learn or perfect. It begins to help with the first few lessons. If you are approached by attacker, you don't have friggin years to get ready. This is the difference between martial arts and reality fighting. Surely training and years of experience are of tremendous help - but cannot be relied on in the meantime!

I learned much of my tactics in the inner city and military combat situations - by way of survival. I went all the way through traditional martial arts and it doesn't mean anything to a REAL attacker. I've seen many black belts (no offense to our friend Sicilian30 of course) who have been flattened by NOVICE reality fighters.

If you're are not willing to destroy someone to protect your life or the lives of your loved ones, stay away from the reality arts. Reality fighting is based upon a compilation of actual scenarios from violent crimes (assualts, rapes, gang attackers...), hand-to-hand combat situations of war, CIA training, SEAL training, and any other form of real, violent, life and death situations. It is not based upon some ancient traditions nor series of stances and movements.

All this said...again training is indeed important. I think the martial arts are very good for a lot of other benefits (physical fitness, balance, stress reduction, and of course it could help in some fights). Also note that there are a growing number of "martial arts" instructors who are now including reality arts into their training...even to the extent of ridding themselves of the costume (Gi)...

Some thoughts to keep in mind:

Keep aware of your surroundings and of potential situations. Most thugs are not looking for a challenge, rather an easy (unsuspecting) target.

Fear must be channeled into strength and a determination to prevail.

"If they talk they'll walk." Don't fight unless you have to. A good first weapon is psychology. Use your mind over your would-be attacker. For example, if someone says "What the @$#$ are you looking at?" You could reply "Your hat...it's cool..." You don't want to sound sarcastic or like a "puss." Rather use your head to control the situation without bringing attention to the fact that you are doing so.

If all else fails, launch the biggest assualt you can to save your life.

Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutelyLethal
    My friend trains with carlson gracie sr. and jr. in chicago for Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. BJJ is all ground work but good fighters are trained in how to control someone standing so that they can be brought down to the ground and taken care of. For proof check out the gracie in action tapes that show BJJ being challenged by every martial arts conceivable.
    B.J.J. is often very effective. I haven't seen it very much in real life situations, but it seems to be very effective in controlling many situations. It's brute strength taking someone to the ground and controlling them from there on out...

Of course, I have seen wrestlers get beat up pretty bad when they grab someone in the midsection to take them down. Several blows to the side of the head while being grappled with seems to be quite effective.

Those Gracie guys are some tough men though!!! I think the training is a nice compliment to the fighting arts.

Kato is offline Member
    Fear must be channeled into strenght and determination to prevail...... how does one accomplish this?

Kato

Quote Originally Posted by BlocRoc
    What about Muay Thai! There are variations of it that are designed to kill without the theatrics!
    L8
    Muay Thai is really neat. It certainly good for a cardio workout...and beating some attacker off of you.

Combat Hapkido is an interesting art too, as it is one of the few martial arts that have learned that kicking above the waist usually ends up with the kicker on the ground in a world of hurt.
    Last edited by realityarts; 09-15-2003 at 12:38 AM.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    It's brute strength taking someone to the ground and controlling them from there on out...
    More like fine tuned technique.

You likely won't find schools teaching the Thai style in a civilized country. You mainly find semi-Thai styles that have been adapted to fit north american kickboxing rules.

Of course, I have seen wrestlers get beat up pretty bad when they grab someone in the midsection to take them down. Several blows to the side of the head while being grappled with seems to be quite effective.
    Because they trained for a sport with no striking. Give a good wrestler a few months of mma training and he will be a very effective fighter. Wrestling has many fantastic techniques but, like any other technique, they have a time and a place.

Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    Because they trained for a sport with no striking. Give a good wrestler a few months of mma training and he will be a very effective fighter. Wrestling has many fantastic techniques but, like any other technique, they have a time and a place.
    That is true, and was clearly my point. Reality arts and wrestling are not the same thing. Agreed.

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    I agree with you reality, but this is not what the guy asked. I was suggesting simply that he can't just learn how to defend himself in a book.
    Reality fighting is a good thing, and as you said "most martial arts, incorporate them into their styles.
    Statitically speaking however, 90% of fights end up on the ground, secondly 99% of fights/struggles last less than 2 mintues if that long.
    I think you have missed the point I was trying to convey. I said practice (which means training), experience and knowing how to adapt to any situation. You seemed to have missed that part of my discussion. You can learn how to kill someone with one punch, however, you have to get close enough to perform your technique. Fighting is unpredicatable. SO you can train in reality fighting all you want, however who's to say an attacker will react in the way that you are trained?
    The bottom line is here, you train to prepare for the unexpected.
    Bruce lee IMO was the best martial artists, he believed not in the martial arts, but believed that anyone can win a fight, the secret is to know how to react and counter an unexpected attack. He said, "one must be as water", "adapting to your surroundings".
    I think that wrestles are great fighters because you can take the strongest guy and put him to the floor and take all of his hitting and kicking power away. I have seen wrestlers beat the best martial artists. Know why? Because they are not trained and prepared for that type of situation.
    That is where training comes in. You don't train to try and say that an attacker will do this, or that, you simply train to adapt to the attacker, and learn to counter his reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato
    Fear must be channeled into strenght and determination to prevail...... how does one accomplish this?
    Kato
    It will come to you weedhopper. Just kidding. I threw that in as a tidbit that took me back to my martial arts days.

It is simple to say, but a complex process. It involves a deep trust in yourself and your abilities. It involves conditioning your mind with a refusal to become a victim. [Sounds simplistic or perhaps lacking, I know.]

What would you be like if you knew that you could not lose? Couple that energy/confidence with some reality arts training that prepares you for real life situations. In writing, an explanation can appear like a contradiction -- that is, on the one hand you must have the mind that cannot lose, and on the other hand you must decide whether to engage the offender or not (because you may lose).

You can run, use mind tactics, or fight (or some combination of the 3). All of which are viable options - it all depends on the situation.

In short, you can channel fear into strength and determination in much the same way as you have done for other difficult endeavors.

Notice I did not say that you will not have fear -- to the contrary -- fear must be properly utilized. Use fear in a positive way to overcome the situation. Showing fear is often more of a problem than fear itself. Appear confident (not arrogant, conceded, or 'cocky') and people will see you that way.

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    I hear krav maga is the way to go

Quote Originally Posted by chrisAdams
    I hear krav maga is the way to go
    What did you hear about it? Was there anything that particularly stood out for you about it?

AbsolutelyLethal is offline Associate Member
    I have a friend, different one now, who wrestled in highschool. His first year of college another wrestler challenged him to a friendly game of wrassling. When the other guy shot in, my friend who had basic understanding of JJ at the time, put a triangle choke on the guy with his legs and made the guy tap. Simple as that, the guy wasnt happy because it was a "non-wrestling" move but it worked....

Quote Originally Posted by realityarts

I dont think JJ/BJJ is the best...Its got to be a Mixed Martials Arts training...Kickboxing/Muai Thai for standup, wrestling moves for takedowns but even simple judo throws/trips work, and then BJJ/JJ for ground submissions but also boxing techniques for punching. The best kind of fighter is one who can adapt to every situation and be able to control his opponent and keep calm inside.

It just kills me when I read ignorant people saying that their Tae Kwan Do, Karate, Kung-Fu, Akido, Wing-Chun is impervious to JJ/BJJ because it WONT get to the ground. They will punch, kick, chop, Ax-kick you before you can get them down. It so ludicrous that it is funny.... If someone with takedown knowledge wants to take you down...they WILL!!!

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    No tape is really going to help you. You need to train for real. You should go for a combo of 2... a standup and ground style. Muy Thia/BJJ, Kickboxing/Judo, Boxing/Wrrestling, etc... get it.

Tapout is offline Senior Member
    sicilian 30 hit it right on the head
    you cant get good from videos---but you can get videos,get a training partner and the 2 of you pratice for numerous hours--to learn

alot of the bros know me here and my training--i have been doing jiu jitsu since 97 and it is great...my instructor is a black belt under carlson gracie and is unbelievable--i weigh 225lbs right now at 12%bf and he is around 190lbs and schools me with technique--my strength does nothing against him. martial arts of any kind does not make you unbeatable but they give you the edge--jiu jitsu in my opinion is the best and most applicable in a fight....i have done many tournaments and have gotten in some real fights---there is a big difference between the two
    in a tournament, even pride or ufc, there are still some rules(ie no biting,fingers in eye ect) but in a real fight there are none...if you are a skilled fighter and numerous hrs of pratice in jiu jitsu then in a real fight you will most likely consider it just a training exercise--you will easily handle a unskilled fighter who has no clue what you are doing(i have gotten in a few and have schooled them sometimes winning without even throwing a punch just joint lock or choked them out)...but there are those who are just down and dirty mean who feels no pain and have no care to tear your eyes out of your head. thats when you have to turn on the hate and get just as mean--that is not something that is taught it has to be natural then developed--you get an arm bar on someone can you sit back and crank it till it breaks and you feel their elbow pop--to do so you have to turn on the hate.
    getting a video and learning some moves will not help with this.

my suggestion---you can get video and learn some technique but you need to find a good school and go train...there are little moves,just grips, slight angles,positions or variations that the videos dont teach that can make all the differene in the world in a fight or while just training.

to all the bros---you guys are giving some good advice

final point in the fighting world today you must be a well rounded fighter trained on how to fight standing(in case in a bar or they have friends),grounding and pounding (taking them down and fighting on the ground using strikes)and submission on the ground(if they are drugged and feel no pain when being hit--remember everyone needs 1 thing to fight--air--take it away--ie choke--and you win)

Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutelyLethal
    It just kills me when I read ignorant people saying that their Tae Kwan Do, Karate, Kung-Fu, Akido, Wing-Chun is impervious to JJ/BJJ because it WONT get to the ground. They will punch, kick, chop, Ax-kick you before you can get them down. It so ludicrous that it is funny.... If someone with takedown knowledge wants to take you down...they WILL!!!
    I agree. Those who are into grappling (or fighting on the ground) are going to do their best to take you there - down to the ground...and they will often succeed.

I know that there are many people who are well-trained in wrestling, but are not used to the idea of being violently punched and kneed while they're wrestling. So, if the wrestler is used to a wrestling opponent, there may be a surprise in store.

I'm with you: being ready for a wide range of possibilies is best. Never under-estimate...

Quote Originally Posted by arthurb999
    No tape is really going to help you. You need to train for real. You should go for a combo of 2... a standup and ground style. Muy Thia/BJJ, Kickboxing/Judo, Boxing/Wrrestling, etc... get it.
    Again, the emphasis is not on the "martial art," rather in what is needed to answer the attacker. I'm not telling you that what you are writing is wrong, I am just placing the emphasis on what is more likely to be needed in a real life street situation, rather than on some particular tradition or static regimen to learn. [I do realize that something is better than nothing, and that there are benefits to learning "martial arts." I think most of you understand where I am coming from. And, it is ok to disagree. This is just what I happed to believe - and it doesn't make it better than what you believe.]

Now on to some other thoughts...

Often the unexpected will defeat a would-be attacker.

I've been in a couple situations that involved knives - and once even a gun. The gun situation I talked myself out of - thankfully. One incident involved a psycho-lunatic (bigger that an ox) with a knive ... I beat the guy with a the pedestal from a friggin birdbath until he couldn't move. It was the necessary "art" needed for the situation at hand. Another time I storm a guy with a flurry of punches -- I got cut...he lost several teeth...even swallowing some...went unconscious and I guess woke up in an emergency room. I went back to my hotel suite. [By the way, I didn't feel like a winner at all.]

I am a peaceful person, and have never started a fight. I hate fighting. I just learned that becoming a victim is unacceptable. So, I either run, talk my way out of it, or unleash every damn thing I have in me to incapacitate my attacker - before it can be done to me.

Is what I know or do perfect - NO. Studying the most-likely scenarios, based upon decades of research of criminal attacks is a must to know the human enemy. Yes, something new can arise, but it still pays to know all the most-likely situations - and develop actions for them.

The only real way to win a fight is to avoid one. Believe me...severely hurting or perhaps even killing someone is not a good thing to live with.

It's best to avoid all violence. This means watching those things in your life that can escalate -- like "road rage" in daily traffic...

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    I've been street fighting for years. The more fights you have, the more you learn. It's all about "ring time". Just remember...there's always someone better than you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tapout
    my suggestion---you can get video and learn some technique but you need to find a good school and go train...there are little moves,just grips, slight angles,positions or variations that the videos dont teach that can make all the differene in the world in a fight or while just training.

to all the bros---you guys are giving some good advice

final point in the fighting world today you must be a well rounded fighter trained on how to fight standing(in case in a bar or they have friends),grounding and pounding (taking them down and fighting on the ground using strikes)and submission on the ground(if they are drugged and feel no pain when being hit--remember everyone needs 1 thing to fight--air--take it away--ie choke--and you win)
    Yes, a person that is equipped to handle all aspects of assault is more likely to live.

[By the way, I am writing about violent and vicious attacks, not a common push and shove match, or school-yard bully session - "go ahead hit me..." no you hit me..." Because on the streets - unfortunately - it is more likely to be life and death. Of course, I must consider that not every person lives in the inner city or a war zone. So, be prepared for what is most likely in your area - keeping in mind that the big $&!% may come to Mayberry too.]

Preparation must include the possible scenarios that exist in the streets. In your mind, think about it..., walk into a violent area of Detroit, Los Angeles, or some bad situation in your area...got it...now what are you going to do with the likely scenarios. Go ahead...come up with the worst scenarios that you can conjure up in your head (based upon what it most-likely from actual statistics - which, yes, can change...), and develop ways out of them...because this type of training is of more use that any choke hold or kick than one will teach or learn.

Some of you others here that are used to REAL street fighting and hand-to-hand combat in wars...share how long the most of the martial arts tactics (even recent) that you have seen or know about will last in many real situations.

I know it sounds like I am against the martial arts... Not exactly - I just believe they needs some reality added to them.

Some of you have mentioned some real good martial arts. I would definitely keep training in them, if you find them useful - always make sure that what you are doing is based upon reality. None of us can be ready for everything -- and there is always someone bigger and badder - but that cannot stop us from doing our best to be prepared. I'm sure most of us here agree on that.

I really appreciate all your comments here in this thread... It appears that we all are on the right track...

Though I must apologize for getting somewhat carried away here. I just feel strongly about this. I've had some bad things happen to people I love(d)...

Maybe we can discuss some of the best tactics that we like for certain situations. Got any to share?

Quote Originally Posted by LORDBLiTZ
    I've been street fighting for years. The more fights you have, the more you learn. It's all about "ring time". Just remember...there's always someone better than you.
    LORDBLiTZ,

Well said. How come you have been street fighting for years. Please explain...if you don't mind. Thanks.

Tapout is offline Senior Member
    good thoughts realityarts
    all the jiu jitsu in the world cant stop a bird bath from hitting you in the head
    those are intense situations you describe and i agree that most martial arts can not help in real fights---you always see a numerous degree black belt swinging look a barn yard brawler with no form when fight starts--jiu jitsu is the only one i've seen that is reality effective---but when rolling with someone in a real life or death fight they bite and rip eyes out of head thats something people dont pratice and you have to be prepared for
    there is a big difference between real fight and mat training--you got to be prepared for all and pratice all
    Last edited by Tapout; 09-15-2003 at 09:52 PM.

peregrine is offline Junior Member
    id actually have to say that vale tudo is the best all around technique. its sort of like BJJ but more involved all around.

Quote Originally Posted by Tapout
    good thoughts realityarts
    all the jiu jitsu in the world cant stop a bird bath from hitting you in the head
    those are intense situations you describe and i agree that most martial arts can not help in real fights---you always see a numerous degree black belt swinging look a barn yard brawler with no form when fight starts--jiu jitsu is the only one i've seen that is reality effective---but when rolling with someone in a real life or death fight they bite and rip eyes out of head thats something people dont pratice and you have to be prepared for
    there is a big difference between real fight and mat training--you got to be prepared for all and pratice all
    You're right Tapout... A lot of the arts just train for casual fights or cooperative situations. You've got to be ready (as best as you can) for whatever some lunatic throws at you. Yes, there is biting, hammering, kicking, cutting, stabbing, crushing, and many other types of violent actions. Watch gang violence footage on TV news to see what is possible. It's nothing like a Jet Li or Jackie Chan movie...where the gang members take turns coming at you...

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator
    None of the techniques listed above can even come close to the power and ferocity of monkey style kung fu!

Thread Information