LORDBLiTZ Guest

Do we have any LEYKIS 101 students here?

I was a BIG, BIG PUSSY at one time! The 101 class helped me through it. It's been 5 years and i'm still going strong!

Do we have any 101 students here at the AR?

Blow me up tom!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do we have any LEYKIS 101 students here?-screenhunter_002.jpg  
    Last edited by LORDBLiTZ; 09-30-2003 at 03:13 AM.

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    I listen to him at times.
    He sometimes contradicts himself, but in general I agree with most of it.
    I dont think even he agrees with some of what he says but he does give a good view of how it is.
    Never knew Tom was out in Canada also.
    He makes so much money....

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Yeah tom does give good advice. I really feel sorry for all the AR bros we have here that know nothing about him. I bet most of these guys would love him.

Testify is offline Senior Member
    I listened to him last Thanksgiving Weekend while traveling through the NYC area. Fucking hilarious. I wish he was on where I live.

Kato is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LORDBLiTZ
    Yeah tom does give good advice. I really feel sorry for all the AR bros we have here that know nothing about him. I bet most of these guys would love him.

Whatever you do LB don't tell us anything about him either! You gonna leave us hangin'?

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Depending on who you ask, syndicated radio personality Tom Leykis is either a breath of fresh air or a foul defender of the male libido. An oracle of psychosocial truth or a sphincter of sexism. His "Leykis 101," an academic tutorial on "how to get guys laid," alternately provokes gratitude or outrage. His live national stage shows are invariably accompanied by the autographing of bared breasts and the arrival of the cops.
    "This is a different type of talk radio. It's not dishwater. It's not political. It's also not 'shock radio,' which is very contrived or gratuitous," says Leykis. As opposed to other shows which lean heavily on sidekicks, in-studio guests and prerecorded gags, Leykis works virtually alone during his four-hour show, interacting with callers and moving at a pace faster than a hooker at a frat party.

"The Tom Leykis Show," syndicated from L.A. since 1994, has developed some trademark schticks as it has nurtured an audience. First there's "Flash Fridays," which has led female fans to "show" their appreciation for the program. "Strangely enough, it began as an homage to [radio raconteur] Jean Shepherd, who once asked people to flash their house lights to verify his late-night audience," says Leykis, who initiated Flash Fridays by asking listeners to turn on their headlights during the end-of-the-week program. And then came the displays, first on the road, then on-the-road. "During one of our stage shows there were ten arrests for nudity," he recalls. One stage-broadcast program took the form of a pub crawl: "By the time the cops got to one location, we'd moved!"

Equally provocative is his "Leykis 101." An unapologetic primer to help men get laid with minimum effort, its "rules" - a retort to the women's self-help guide - include Never spend a lot of money impressing her on the first date, Stop seeing her if you don't get laid by the third date, and Never date single mothers. Like Flash Fridays this, too, began innocently enough, with Leykis lecturing a staff member about his love life. While most male listeners have welcomed "Leykis 101" like manna from heaven, many women see it as the Black Plague. On "Politically Incorrect" in February 1999, Leykis defended his position amid a hostile group of female panelists: "We don't fall in love with you until we get some tail!...If you think that we hear a word you say before we get in your panties, let me tell you something, we don't!" Controversy may not be the meat-and-potatoes of his show, but as it reaches more listeners in more cities, Leykis continues to be a lightning rod. On his rule against dating single mothers he points to a Washington state law that makes a man responsible for a child with whom he has developed a "bond," even if it is not his child. On "discussions" that become "beliefs," he recalls one show about the ethics of picking up women who had been molested as children, rebuking the notion that talking about a subject implies an endorsement.

But surely you must wonder... Who is the real Tom Leykis? Why do women - with help from their boyfriends and husbands - feel compelled to show him their racks? And why, fer godssake, does he describe a set of breasts as a "rack"?!

A natural radio talent, Tom Leykis grew up idolizing such modern comedy geniuses as George Carlin, Robert Klein, Woody Allen and Albert Brooks, as well as such old guard humorists as Johnny Carson and Jack Benny (his signature exclamation "reeeealy!" is classic Benny). He began his radio career in 1970 at age 14 when he entered - and won - a contest sponsored by a Long Island radio station, waxing eloquent on the theme "Why I Want To Be On The Radio." A one-time opportunity turned into an ongoing substitute gig when the station liked what they heard. In 1979, he landed a full-time job at a New York radio station and began to develop his singular style and wit.

"It had just made the switch to New Wave from Top 40 and had a four-hour block open on Sunday mornings where Casey Kasem's countdown show had run," he explains. "I had a partner and we spent the time doing comedy bits and taking phone calls in-between records. We eventually worked out a nightclub act based on our radio show."

In 1981 he transitioned to a station in Albany, New York which had just received authorization for limited nighttime broadcasting and wanted a "controversial" host to fill the gap between the daytime programming and Talknet, which ran at night.

"The audience was in the age group of 55 to death - but I didn't know that," he recalls. "I went on with the afternoon host to promote my first show, and when he asked what it would be like, I said, 'Let me put it this way. My show won't appeal to the hemorrhoid-and-laxative crowd that are usually attracted to these shows.

" Despite the fact that listeners sent hate mail in response, Leykis quickly caught on in Albany. When the nighttime ratings soared, management moved their golden boy to morning drive and promoted him to program director. His success attracted the attention of a competing station's consultant who wanted Leykis out of town and offered him a job in Miami. "It was great," he says. "They put me in the best hotel in town. I ordered room service everyday. Unfortunately, I was walking right into a buzz saw and I didn't know it."

The personality he replaced, Neil Rogers, had been #1 in Miami for six years and had left to go to another station. With Leykis competing directly against him, a war of words began. By the fall of 1984, the winner was clear: Rogers was down to third place in the ratings, Leykis was #1.

The following years took Tom Leykis to Phoenix, Los Angeles, Boston and finally back to L.A., launching his afternoon show on KLSX-FM in 1997 and expanding into syndication soon after. An avid Dodgers and Kings fan, Leykis may be thought of as a hot dog-and-beer kind of guy by his loyal audience. In reality he is a wine aficionado who spends his free time reading Barron's and watching CNBC.

www.blowmeuptom.com

Kato is offline Member
    Sounds like my kind of bro!

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    tom rocks. used to listen to him when i spent alot of time in seattle and portland. wish i had him on the radio at home.

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    tom rocks. used to listen to him when i spent alot of time in seattle and portland. wish i had him on the radio at home.

You in BC? 100.7 FM weekdays 3pm to 8

Hey thanks!! I'll tune in next time I get the chance.

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    Tom is the best! At home in Seattle I listed every day on the "Buzz", but now that I have relocated to Sicily, I am dependent on my friends to tape and mail!!

Quote Originally Posted by BamaSlamma
    Tom is the best! At home in Seattle I listed every day on the "Buzz", but now that I have relocated to Sicily, I am dependent on my friends to tape and mail!!
    The BUZZ is the best talk radio station ever!

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Agreed. Tom is the shit!!! BJ is alright too.

Wiggum is offline Associate Member
    Can't stand Tom Leykis!!! When ever anyone that calls in has a valid point, he talks over them or totally goes off the subject just to show he's right. It's pathetic to listen to him either contradict himself or turn up his volume so his voice is louder than the callers.

Now if you're going to talk about Howard Stern, he's the man!!

BluEyedClubr is offline Associate Member
    Leykis 101 student right here!!

That guy is the shit.... I used to listen to him in college when I was in the Orlando Area.... and also up here in the NYC area....

Does anyone up here in the NYC or Philly area know what stations he is on around here.... ever sice 102.7 changed up here in NY I haven't been able to hear him

Duct Tape is offline Associate Member
    Tom Leykis, The Father I Never Had

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggum
    Can't stand Tom Leykis!!! When ever anyone that calls in has a valid point, he talks over them or totally goes off the subject just to show he's right. It's pathetic to listen to him either contradict himself or turn up his volume so his voice is louder than the callers.

Now if you're going to talk about Howard Stern, he's the man!!
    Stern is great but he pussies out all the time too. Remeber when he was married he always went on about how he'd go out with Amy Lynn and other babes and let us in on his dates and **** now he is as more of a girl with his new lady than he was with Alison.

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Duct Tape
    Tom Leykis, The Father I Never Had
    WORD

Duct Tape is offline Associate Member
    Also you can see the rules of 101 here. I recommend scrolling down and listening to them from Dad himself though.

http://tomleykis.rajuabju.com/leykis_101_rules.htm

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Awesome link DT!

calidude is offline Senior Member
    I started Leykis 101 b4 i knew he existed. But have found him very entertaining and profound... at times

Wiggum is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    Stern is great but he pussies out all the time too. Remeber when he was married he always went on about how he'd go out with Amy Lynn and other babes and let us in on his dates and **** now he is as more of a girl with his new lady than he was with Alison.

No doubt Stern is definitely a "relationship" guy. I'm with you on that. But comparing the two shows together - Howard's definitely better and more entertaining and original.

Thread Information