• Didn't like it

5 26.32%
  • It was OK

1 5.26%
  • Very Good

9 47.37%
    manijak is offline Associate Member

bowling for Columbine

I just saw this documentary and I have to say , it's probably the best thing I have seen on my TV in past couple of years....
    But just wondering what's everyone's opinion since breaks more than one taboo and crosses the politically correct line by a couple of miles
    Last edited by manijak; 10-05-2003 at 07:47 PM.

BDTR is offline Retired
    I'd like 5 minutes alone with that fat worthless pile of shit Michael moore, that's how much i loved his movie. He really disgusts me in every aspect of life, i hope a tree falls on his head.

is there a reason for that bdtr?

navydevildoc is offline Associate Member
    It was interesting, but some of it was just trashy. Like the way he crashed in on Charleton Heston. But he does ask some serious questions, trying to figure out why our country is the way it is.

BDTR is offline Retired
    For one, if you know me you'll know that i'm extremely right wing in every aspect of life as well as a nationalist. I do support the first ammedment 10000%, although i also support my right to smash their faces in when their views are detremental to my country. I've been known to walk up to anarchists/communists on the streets handing out papers and flyers and say "im the reason anarchy will never work" and knock them out. Yeah... i'm an asshole. oh well. Needless to say, Michael Moore found a way to be famous and fat at the same time so he obviously hopped on the bandwagon and is basking in his extended 15 minutes, he figured out that by being radical and an activist you can push the envelope just enough to still be rich and famous and still make noise.

hehehehee ok
    now I'll shut up and won't say nothing or you'll get like this guy and want 5 minutes with me too maybe even more....

Da Bull is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bdtr
    For one, if you know me you'll know that i'm extremely right wing in every aspect of life as well as a nationalist. I do support the first ammedment 10000%, although i also support my right to smash their faces in when their views are detremental to my country. I've been known to walk up to anarchists/communists on the streets handing out papers and flyers and say "im the reason anarchy will never work" and knock them out. Yeah... i'm an asshole. oh well. Needless to say, Michael Moore found a way to be famous and fat at the same time so he obviously hopped on the bandwagon and is basking in his extended 15 minutes, he figured out that by being radical and an activist you can push the envelope just enough to still be rich and famous and still make noise.
    I was going to comment on the movie,but after reading this,FUCK THAT!

BDTR is offline Retired
    Lol dont let me ruin this thread, comment on the movie all you like.

Mr. Death is offline Senior Member
    I'd like 5 minutes alone with that fat worthless pile of shit Michael moore, that's how much i loved his movie. He really disgusts me in every aspect of life, i hope a tree falls on his head.
    Right on bdtr. People like Michael Moore just can't get it through their heads that most people in the country disagree with their views. They believe that conservatives are a lower class of citizen, who have been left behind by the rest of civilization. I have no problem with people that have liberal views. They have just as much right to their beliefs as anyone. But they also have the right to make a complete ass of themselves.

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    alot of that movie was bullshit. A lot of it was not. MM fucked up big at the oscars as well. But he raised serious issues that many people still remain in denial about or are afraid to address.

The post was not about MM or his weight. Why do people hate anybody that is not believe in their partisan views...shouldnt we be more mature than that?

palme is offline Rosie Member
    MM made a fool of himself at the oscars. Ive been debatting with myself if i should view bowling for columbine or not and have not yet decided. Try and sell it to me big boys

FmRommel is offline Member

Holy Shit!....bdtr for president!

Agreed, Well said.

FM

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    Man i hate that guy. He wasn't even funny. What's the point in writing, directing and starting in a comedy that's not even funny?

Last edited by chrisAdams; 10-06-2003 at 03:45 PM.

I watched the first 15 minutes and was bored out of my skull... ended up turning it off.

Well, let me explain... not being an American and not living in the USA I have to say I honestly couldn't care less about the movies subject matter and issues. It's just not relevant to me in any way.

As symatech said, I am sure a lot of the movie is true and a lot isn't. But well... who cares???

Red

Vanmuscle is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisAdams
    Man i hate that guy. He wasn't even funny. What's the point in writing, directing and starting in a comedy that's not even funny?
    I don't think it's meant to be a comedy... I liked the movie in terms of outlining the state of the USA with respect to gun proliferation, violence, and how fear drives peoples' behaviours. Like Navydevildoc, I thought that some of Moore's tactics were very cheap, like embarrassing Charlton Heston, Dick Clark, etc., even though it helped him get his message across.

I'm pretty damn conservative when it comes to fiscal policy, but I do believe that guns kill... the stats are there. I know that one of the amendments of the American Constitution is the right to bear arms, but at what cost? I think there's conservative right wing, then there's fanatical gun-toting right wing and there's a big difference. I just think guns are a bad idea, but I'm just a pacifist Canadian

BDTR is offline Retired
    Guns are a bad idea in the hands of welfare crackheads selling drugs and disguntled whiney black wearing angst filled teenagers. I'm all for not giving them guns. I can't remember the last bank me and charlton heston robbed or the last school we shot up though... See a difference?

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    It is a documentary, not a comedy. If you coulld not see that, you should probably repeat grade six. Sorry if that's harsh, but comon...a comedy? Did you watch the whole thing?

Bowling for Columbine should probably be watched in schools, in every country. I'm all for law abiding tax paying citizens owining firearms, but Moore does make a good argument against. I think the only problem in America is that it's too easy to own a gun and that makes it much more likely that uneducated welfare inner city scum will own firearms.

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by symatech
    alot of that movie was bullshit. A lot of it was not. MM fucked up big at the oscars as well. But he raised serious issues that many people still remain in denial about or are afraid to address.

The post was not about MM or his weight. Why do people hate anybody that is not believe in their partisan views...shouldnt we be more mature than that?
    Never saw the movie, I've heard many of the facts presented were false but it didn't matter cuz it does not affect the point of the movie.

PPL always attack MM's weight because it is a perfect product of the system he loves so much to criticize.

I had the same thoughts about him as you guys after the oscars, but its kinda disturbing how he turned out to be right.
    Last edited by saboudian; 10-06-2003 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    It is a documentary, not a comedy. If you coulld not see that, you should probably repeat grade six. Sorry if that's harsh, but comon...a comedy? Did you watch the whole thing?

Bowling for Columbine should probably be watched in schools, in every country. I'm all for law abiding tax paying citizens owining firearms, but Moore does make a good argument against. I think the only problem in America is that it's too easy to own a gun and that makes it much more likely that uneducated welfare inner city scum will own firearms.
    It was a joke. Lighten up. I don't take people like moore seriously. They're just as stubborn and closed minded as the people that they put up on the blocks. And just because my joke went over your head is no reason to call me infantile.
    Last edited by chrisAdams; 10-06-2003 at 03:44 PM.

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    I think the only problem in America is that it's too easy to own a gun and that makes it much more likely that uneducated welfare inner city scum will own firearms.
    I don't think thats necessarily the problem, many many other countries such as canada have a higher frequency of people owning fire arms yet they don't have the same problems.

Quote Originally Posted by saboudian
    I don't think thats necessarily the problem, many many other countries such as canada have a higher frequency of people owning fire arms yet they don't have the same problems.
    Moore mentions this point and can't come up with a reason why this is true either. Either that or if he did it was bullshit. can't remember which.

BUYLONGTERM is offline Anabolic Member
    I totally agree with BDTR. I wouldn't watch that movie if you paid me all the money in the world. Did you see that prick at the Oscars? What a joke!!!!

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by buylongterm
    I totally agree with BDTR. I wouldn't watch that movie if you paid me all the money in the world. Did you see that prick at the Oscars? What a joke!!!!
    you see this is the problem. forget about MM. This movie is not about him. who the fuck cares who made it. it raises serious questions. period. if people dont watch it because he made an ass of himself at the oscars they are being close-minded. You have to think bigger than that.

Look, I already said, MM made an ass of himself. He is fat. yes its all true. WHO CARES? Those who use that as an excuse not to watch the movie are cheating themselves. and not adding anything to the discussion.

Im not trying to flame anybody, just trying to make a logical point.

Furthermore, MM did not answer the question as to why we have the problems. That is what he left up to the viewers to ponder. This is not a problem/solution movie. It was made to get americans THINKING which is exactly what most do not do. He did, however, make strong suggestions that he believes what we see on our TV and our politicians (both R and D alike) are spoiling the country. But that is his opinion. I think he may have a good start there, but it takes lots of thought. This is not one of those things where the solution is as simple as "he's a liberal asshole. he's just sore because Bush won." - even though he's very sore. Do you see my point?

peace
    Last edited by symatech; 10-06-2003 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by saboudian
    Actually Canada has MORE guns per inhabitant than the USA, but less than 1-100th (per capita again) the number of firearm related crime or accidents than the USA.

(remember, handguns and assault weapons are banned in canada, and posession and use of hunting weapons are heavily regulated)

Red

Grant is offline Member
    I think many are coming away with the wrong topic here. Take MM out of your argument and address the topic and points he makes and negate those.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant
    I think many are coming away with the wrong topic here. Take MM out of your argument and address the topic and points he makes and negate those.
    You have a point... it's kinda like judging the presidency of Clinton or Dubyaw Bush by their personnal lives and not their WORK achievements and downfalls (which I am afraid to say seems to be the American national pastime).

Judge the message, not the messenger.

Red

Fooboy is offline Associate Member
    i want a gun

Grant is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fooboy
    i want a gun
    There you have it folks!

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    It was a joke. Lighten up. I don't take people like moore seriously. They're just as stubborn and closed minded as the people that they put up on the blocks. And just because my joke went over your head is no reason to call me infantile.
    OK I was a dink in my response, I apologize, but there was no indication it was a joke.

Yeah, that's true. It's not how many guns you have it's who owns them. I would like to see a demographic breakdown of murder frequency by geographic region, socioeconomic level, and race. I would wager that the amount of inner-city, african american men living below the poverty level( in Canada it's defined something like 23,000 income a year ) that kill each other with guns is significanly higher than the number of affluent( Canada defines this as ~60,000 a year I believe ) , sub-urban, Jewish men who kill each other with guns. Don't think anyone would bet against that one. More of a culture problem than a gun problem. That's the movies point.

[ It was made to get americans THINKING which is exactly what most do not do.
    peace[/QUOTE]

heheheheheh I just didn't want to say that.....but agree 100%

See, America as a nation is indeed scared to death, just like the movie indicated, SARS, AIDS, murders, carjacking, ANTHRAX, McDonald's, IRS, insure your car, house,loan,kids,life, prostitution, drugs, getto's, Eminem, Marlylin M, video games, divorce,child support just to name some off the top of my head, and I don't even watch TV!!!!!
    And it's that fear that blinds the minds and covers any positive message; i.e.:"OH MY GOD!!! ARNOLD LIKES HITLER!!!!!", now let's see, he really said "I Admire Hitler's leading capabilities". and someone tell me if a guy who can convince an entire country that they can literally "Conquer the world" and not only one but Austria and Italy too, does not have admiring skills.
    Now, if he had said "I admire Julius Cesar" there would be no fuss at all, not because his methods or intentions were any more humane than Hitler's but because we didn't have to fight him, so nobody implanted seed of terror in our heads every time his name came up.

But thank god we have right wing nationalists that say"I do support the first ammedment 10000%, although i also support my right to smash their faces in when their views are detremental to my country"
    and I DO NOT refer to bdtr...alone , as a matter of fact that's exactly what the Patriot act means, you're free to say anything you want, but if we don't like it , you get a free vacation with the works at the Guantanamo bay. Where every one of the constitutional and human rights will be shoved up your ass.
    Ironicly, tons of people died to defend the first ammendment, and the right to smash their faces...it's actually not a such.....

In conclusion , no wonder some watch the movie trying to figure if they agree or disagree with it , or the fat fuck who made it.
    I in contrarious , and some others like symatech , see the real problems and questions that the movie tried to adress. And it's not about Charlton Heston and bdtr robbing a bank , although if we want to talk about pushing the envelopes ; Why did Heston hold rallies in those two cities at that time? Why does he have a loaded gun when never assaulted and living in a gated fortress? Yes I know it's his right, but WHY? And I bet you his cause is nowhere near as concerning as the reason this movie was made.
    It asked questions I was wondering myself for a long time, Why do we have more gun murders than all other civilized gun-totting countries, ALL TOGETHER? Why do you need a semi-automatic assault weapon in your house? I used to think the work-for wellfare was a great idea to get the hood-looms of their lazy asses, until I saw the single mother's side of story.
    Maybe , now, someone will watch the movie and try to see the writing on the wall.....

Thread Information