Grant is offline Member

A New Medical Forum?

I think AR is a great board and always improves so how about a Medical forum where the meds on this board can suggest what to do, i know nothing replaces seeing an actual doctor and I'm not suggesting people post their medical problems instead of a doctor, but there are small ailments related to lifting, running etc that many are curious about.....this just came about because last week i played basketball and my big toe is so bruised I can barely walk on it....thus, spawned a forum idea. What do you guys think? Hopefully people would not talk about their indigestion or discharge they are experiencing..

BDTR is offline Retired
    Great idea.

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    we gotta have a no pic rule on that weird discharge though

rambo is offline The Lord God
    I think its an awesome idea.

bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    I like that idea....good point grant....maybe jason will see this and reply.

PTbyJason is offline Retired Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by bornbad71
    I like that idea....good point grant....maybe jason will see this and reply.
    Nah, he never reads this board.

That is fine guys, but I have to have the approval of the Docs on here. If they do not feel comfortable with it, then it will not happen. In a way it is them offering medical advice, and I am not sure they are allowed to do that without seeing the patient. It could put their license at risk. I think it is a great idea, but not if it puts their career in jeopardy. I leave it up to them to decide.

Docs, no matter what decision you choose, I stand by you. Just do what you think is right.

Da Bull is offline Banned
    Sounds like a great idea,hope it happens

I like the idea, but I can certainly imagine why the AR bros who are medical personel may be a little reticent at this.

The forum should be maybe oriented more towards the health and medical aspects of BB, rather than an "ask the doctor" or "online consultation" type forum (which is a big no-no).

Members of varying medical training and experience could help each other out, and the Docs can supervise and chime in when needed.

If this sounds familiar it's because it is! Right now most medical related questions are spread out thru all the forums (though most are in the Lounge and Steroids Questions). There are enough such questions that a dedicated forum could be justified.

If such a forum is created, maybe make a clear rule to not ask the Docs questions directly. This way the docs would not be "put on the spot" to answer someone and may dish out "advice" only when they feel comfortable about it.

Just my long drawn out "thinking out loud" 2 cents worth.

Red

bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    Very well put red....that might be what it takes for this to work.

Catamount is offline Associate Member
    Hell yeah, not only will I get my personal steroid questions answered but I could get help with my school work. Hope it does happen.

Grant is offline Member
    Of course. I would never want to put any of the Docs on the spot. My idea of the forum would be to talk about an injury or an ailment and see amongst the pool of people in forum if they had a similar problem and what they did. The Docs could moderate and contribute as they felt needed or comfortable. While we are on the subject, does anybody know why big toe is bruised from playing basketball, nobody jumped on it, it is just from running and jumping on it! .....I just hijacked my own thread!!!

Testify is offline Senior Member
    I love this idea. The docs wouldn't be forced to offer advice if they do not feel comfortable doing so. "I would go see your doctor" is an acceptible response for more problematic diagnoses. Of course there would be defined boundaries, but this is the case in all forums. What do you think docs?

Quote Originally Posted by Grant
    Of course. I would never want to put any of the Docs on the spot. My idea of the forum would be to talk about an injury or an ailment and see amongst the pool of people in forum if they had a similar problem and what they did. The Docs could moderate and contribute as they felt needed or comfortable. While we are on the subject, does anybody know why big toe is bruised from playing basketball, nobody jumped on it, it is just from running and jumping on it! .....I just hijacked my own thread!!!
    Perhaps you sprained it. It could be mild "turf toe." Its a common injury in sports where quick lateral movements are required.

Grant is offline Member
    Thanks, see, that's what I'm talking about!! How do I prevent it though?

AbsolutelyLethal is offline Associate Member
    Turf toe sucks big time...It takes forever to heal because it is so far away from your heart. You got to RICE it....Rest Ice Compression Elevation.....Also look for some stretches for the toe...Use google...I think there are like stretches where you push down and hold, push up and hold, to the side and hold, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by Grant
    Thanks, see, that's what I'm talking about!! How do I prevent it though?
    I think you should treat it like any other sprain. In football (where it is most common) they usually ice it, and tape it - to stabilize and immobilize. And rest. It may take several weeks to completely heal. Assuming that my "diagnosis" is correct.

brooks is offline New Member
    One can check out webMD.com that site is very user friendly and easier than looking in one of those damn medical dictionary's they have links to make searches more in depth.

Thread Information