Thread: subwoofer

lucky is offline New Member

Cool subwoofer

I need someone that knows about stereo equiptment. If I have a receiver that put's out 100 watts per channel and I buy a subwoofer that is 50 watts (peaks at 100 watts) would it sound ok and will it not break down if the volume is too high. Or should I just shop around for a 100 watt subwoofer.

navydevildoc is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky
    I need someone that knows about stereo equiptment. If I have a receiver that put's out 100 watts per channel and I buy a subwoofer that is 50 watts (peaks at 100 watts) would it sound ok and will it not break down if the volume is too high. Or should I just shop around for a 100 watt subwoofer.
    You are talking about a home stereo? Most good subwoofers have their own amplifier in the cabinet, so the amount of power your receiver puts out doesn't matter much. As far as turning it up, go to the store and try it out! Just let the sales drone know you are going to do it so he doesn't freak out.

withoutd0ubt is offline Associate Member
    even a 100 watt sub is pretty puny, all good subs come with their own amp... a good one will at least be 200 RMS power

fLgAtOr is offline Anabolic Member
    In case you were still looking for an answer...

The sub will be fine. Just make sure it's not farting. (If you run a sub too hard you will understand). Most of the time you should have an amp with more juice than your sub needs.

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    That would sound like crap. It's really best to have a sub that can handle almost twice as much as what the amp puts out. I had a 600 watt amp in my car and a 700 watt sub, it still sounded like crap when I cranked it up. My home theatre has a self powered sub. I think it's only rated for like 75 watts, but I live in an apartment, so I can't turn it up anyway. If I ever needed, I can add another sub to the system.

Also, a good quality 75 watt sub is going to sound better than a cheap 200 watt sub.

Needtobeswoledup is offline Associate Member
    Get a cerwin vega powered sub for LOTS of bass if you aren't too concerned about sq... if you want to spend lots of cash and get the best for sq get velondyne(sp?)

fLgAtOr is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DBarcelo
    That would sound like crap. It's really best to have a sub that can handle almost twice as much as what the amp puts out. I had a 600 watt amp in my car and a 700 watt sub, it still sounded like crap when I cranked it up. My home theatre has a self powered sub. I think it's only rated for like 75 watts, but I live in an apartment, so I can't turn it up anyway. If I ever needed, I can add another sub to the system.

Also, a good quality 75 watt sub is going to sound better than a cheap 200 watt sub.
    Yes and no. But the question wasn't "will it sound good?" The question was, will he damage the sub. Yes, he will be better off with a higher quality sub/amp setup. I can't speak for why your setup didn't sound good other than that if you run an amp too hard you will fry the voice coil in the sub AND damage the amp. BUT, it is usually very diificult to "blow" a sub with too much power. Most people melt the fucking coil in the sub because they crank the gain up on the amp...Causing the amp to clip, sending a dirty signal to the sub, and melting the internals (literally).

So, you are always better off running a larger amp at a lower gain level. Sends a clean signal and reduces engine noise. Besides, is this a home or car system? A non-powered 50 watt sub in the house usually is all you need unless you are an audiophile. Soo, uummm, now that I wrote like 3 pages, I'm gonna go now.

Cdub is offline Associate Member
    get a velodyne sub. They come with built in amps. I think they are the best subs. Sound quality is excellent.

Swellin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdub
    get a velodyne sub. They come with built in amps. I think they are the best subs. Sound quality is excellent.
    There is a fine response...it doesn't really answer the initial question, but it is certainly right on. Velodyne is the best buy. They are outstanding for the money (not too cheap either). Of course, you don't want the cheapest they sell either. Get a 12" if you want to hear the best sound. An 8" or 10" just won't do what a 12" will. Of course they make 15" and 18" too.

Thread Information