peam is offline Suspended

help write about Hamlet

I have a 2500 word paper due monday on Shakespeare's play Hamlet. The question I have to answer is "Explain if Hamlet's madness is pretend or real." I have no idea how to write this paper... I think he's just pretending his insanity but I have aboslutely no reason why... no support... no nothing. So... if ANYBODY knows ANYTHING about Hamlet... I could use help... a lot of it... and ASAP!!

Calipso is offline Banned Post Whore
    2,500 words? Damnnnnnnn. I thought you were in HS. They are giving you some badass assignments.

big daddy k de is offline Senior Member
    thank god i never get stuff like that . i feal for u peam

mass junkie is offline banned
    Peam I love you!!!!!!!!!!

cb25 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by peam
    I have a 2500 word paper due monday on Shakespeare's play Hamlet. The question I have to answer is "Explain if Hamlet's madness is pretend or real." I have no idea how to write this paper... I think he's just pretending his insanity but I have aboslutely no reason why... no support... no nothing. So... if ANYBODY knows ANYTHING about Hamlet... I could use help... a lot of it... and ASAP!!
    hey...there's a great website (sparknotes.com) that gives summaries and analysis of plays/literature and stuff (kind of like the Cliff Notes w/ some more analysis) - here's the link for hamlet

http://www.sparknotes.com/shakespeare/hamlet/

As far as his insanity - I'll see if i can give you a start - feel free to pm me or IM me later on if you want to discuss any of this. I'd agree that his insanity is made up. As I recall, he's using it to fool everyone else - most importantly the king. By doing this, he's able to manipulate the people around him and eventually show that the king is guitly of murdering hamlet's father. There's a line somewhere in it (not sure where) that refers to his "acting of madness" or something like that - you might re-read the "to be or not to be" speech - he's talking about committing suicide, but there's more to it...it's been a while since I've read it, but hopefully some of this will help you.

Good luck!!

well thanks cb and I love you too mass...... I'm starting to get really stressed out because I have copied and pasted 2 essays that are about this same topic andthey're only 889 words combined...... I guess it's better to turn in a paper that's short and makes sense than nothing....I have turned in every assignment ever given to me my entire life and I actually contemplated not doing this one.... would totally crush my grade though... so I gotta at least BS... yeah CB...did you give me your screenname before? if you know mine message me because.... I totally need all the help I can get...seriously... I think I might cry. ahhhhhhhhhh!!!

BDTR is offline Retired
    Dont turn in a paper that is someone elses from online, instructors in college have access to a database in which they can run a few key words from the paper in and it will bring up results of where it is taken from.

cb25 is offline Banned
    yea, obviously don't just cut and paste - that doesn't mean you can't re-word their ideas and make them yours. take info from wherever you can and re-order, re-word, basically make it your own...

bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdtr
    Dont turn in a paper that is someone elses from online, instructors in college have access to a database in which they can run a few key words from the paper in and it will bring up results of where it is taken from.
    Very good point bdtr....paem don't copy the paper....2500, now that suxs. Wish I could help,but this is out of my league....sorry.

oh I wasn't going to copy it..... what made you think I was?

Quote Originally Posted by peam
    I have copied and pasted 2 essays that are about this same topic andthey're only 889 words combined
    Anymore questions......... (j/j)

Calipso is offline Banned Post Whore
    ouch. You got a long way to go.

Man I am so glad that i'm done with school..........

Quote Originally Posted by mass junkie
    Man I am so glad that i'm done with school..........
    MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE TOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oooh I just meant I did that get an idea of how many words are 2500!!! right now for MY paper I have 0 words... I haven't even opened up a document to type on! I do have a piece of notebook paper full of ideas... gotta put them in some sort of order now... I should have started this a week ago.... stupid peam

Da Bull is offline Banned
    Even though I love you I refuse to help

Quote Originally Posted by Da Bull
    Even though I love you I refuse to help
    Couldnt of said it better myself

SmallAsWhoa is offline New Member
    peam:
    it's been a while since i read hamlet...but i think i can help u.
    hamlet puts on an "antic disposition" in order to be able to move around the castle, Elsinore, safely. he pretends to be crazy so that Claudius will not be aware of his true motive, which is to kill him and avenge his father's death. After putting on this antic disposition, Hamlet is free to wander the castle and try to uncover the answer to his question. Did Claudius kill his father? Without pretending to be crazy, Claudius would become aware of Hamlet's true motives very quickly most likely.

why is that da bull? I don't get it! Are you choosing not to help or do you just not know anything about the play? and thanks guys... the ones who helped.. not da bull or mass.. j/k! j/k! I've got a lot of ideas now... just have to spend my sunday writing a paper instead of watching football... it sucks... oh well thanks guys!

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallAsWhoa
    peam:
    it's been a while since i read hamlet...but i think i can help u.
    hamlet puts on an "antic disposition" in order to be able to move around the castle, Elsinore, safely. he pretends to be crazy so that Claudius will not be aware of his true motive, which is to kill him and avenge his father's death. After putting on this antic disposition, Hamlet is free to wander the castle and try to uncover the answer to his question. Did Claudius kill his father? Without pretending to be crazy, Claudius would become aware of Hamlet's true motives very quickly most likely.
    yup. It was in one of his soliloquies (sp) in which he announces his intention to have the players put on the murder of his father before his uncle. He realizes at this play by watching his uncles reaction that he is infact guilty. From there he must plot his uncle's death. Wary of the play and knowing his uncle is no fool hamlet puts on his act of madness. In this way he is more or less left alone.

However, you could argue this paper both ways. There is a point in the same soliloquie in which he realizes that the ghost of his father may not be his father at all. It could possibly be the devil who is trying to damn him. He is torn between what he should do...he feels guilty for not avenging his father and this in itself drives him mad.

if my memory serves... "i can do nothing. not for a king upon whos liberty and life a damned defeat was made. am i a coward? who calls me villain? plucks out my beard...etc etc." (ive read tons of shakespeare...my sig is from the same play )

This paper has tons to it, 2500 words should be no problem once you get going peam. remember to back up your arguments with actual quotes. if you need any more help dont hesitate to ask.

good luck
    peace

I have to say "I LOVE THE INTERNET" not only because it give me you guys to talk to... and I don't know what I'd do without ya'll... but because I would have been screwed if the internet doesn't exsist... not that I'm even using any ideas that I got from anybody else essays... it's just... I LOVE THE INTERNET...

big daddy k de is offline Senior Member
    so i guess the paper is done ? good job !

cb25 is offline Banned
    symatech and small are right on...good luck w/ finishing the paper girl...

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    check out sites like freeessays.com they usually give an condensed view of the papers they offer for sale for free. Read some of these, they are often enough to get the ball rolling for an essay of your own cause they give you ideas, point out themes you missed and clarify any points you didn't understand. Also a Google searh of strings like "analyze Hamlet", "analysis of Hamlet", "theme of Hamlet", etc, etc.

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    holy crap, that was an essay question on my test about a week ago...

the short answer is that he feigns madness in order to conceal his true plans...and also to buy himself some time to formulate those plans.

-- clocky

Thread Information