Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New GearGuy is offline Associate Member

Do you believe this ?? Hunters please reply.

OK bro's heres the deal, I went out last weekend to hang my treestand scout around put out some bait etc..

So I hang my stand (in the Game reserve, state property) put out some bait and I leave. Well I noticed when I was carrying my stand in earlier that the seat is real loose so I swing by today to fix it and check my bait.

I get back to my stand and see alot of tracks and my bait is pretty well gone so I am happy as hell! I put more bait out and start climbing the tree to fix my seat. Well I am just putting my right foot on the stand (left is still on a step) and start to bear some weight down when the damn thing just falls out from under me. I am still on the other step so I quickly gain my balance . I climb back down the tree and check my stand and the chain has been cut with soemthing almost all the way thru. (deep scratches and cuts on parts of the chain) So I climb abck up in the tree and see cut marks on the tree where the chain would have been resting......... WTF!

If I had put all my weight on the stand I would have been screwed.

Why the hell would someone cut my chain?? I scouted around and couldnt find any other stands or bait piles and agian this public property. I went to the hardware store and got another (heavier ) chain and lock. I was jsut wondering if anybody has either had this happened to them or done this to soembody else.

I'm just pissed off I rehung my stand but whos to say whoever cut the chain didnt mess with my bait (pissing in it,etc..)

Ryanhallmark is offline Senior Member
    What are you baiting for bear, or deer?

Yeah that sucks...I dont know why some one would do that.. I mean what would it have taken to cut through the chain.

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    I'm just pissed you have game preserves (state property) to hunt!! lol We don't really have shit like that to hunt around here. 90% of all of hunting is on private land...i.e. $$$ every year for your lease.

Regarding the chain...I don't get that either. If they went through all of that trouble, why didn't they just steal the stand? Almost sounds like a personal motive or something. Better watch your A$$.

I guess that is one good thing about having a lease...you know exactly who comes and goes on the land and what all conservation efforts, etc are going on.

peace,

ttgb

Well bro it's either some competing hunter who is pissed off you're in "his spot" or it's some shithead tree-hugger who thinks hurting a human is ok.

Either ways, I would report it to the local police and Rangers (it may not be an isolated incident), and keep an eye out for the fucker ("deer-cam" with a trip wire would be nice! )

Oh and bro, if you see this fucker, do me a favor... kneecap him... he needs it badly.

Red

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanhallmark
    What are you baiting for bear, or deer?

Yeah that sucks...I dont know why some one would do that.. I mean what would it have taken to cut through the chain.
    Baiting for deer, I gte a mix at a local feed store (corn,oats,molasses,etc...)

$5 for a 20 pound bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup
    Well bro it's either some competing hunter who is pissed off you're in "his spot" or it's some shithead tree-hugger who thinks hurting a human is ok.

Either ways, I would report it to the local police and Rangers (it may not be an isolated incident), and keep an eye out for the fucker ("deer-cam" with a trip wire would be nice! )

Oh and bro, if you see this fucker, do me a favor... kneecap him... he needs it badly.

Red

Red, yea I reported to the NJ Divison of Game & Wildlife and told a buddy of mine(local cop) they havent heard of any other incidents like this ............YET.

I cannot believe someone would go thru all the trouble of cutting almost all the way thru a chain and not stealing the stand. It must hae taken a while to cut thru hardly seems worth the effort.

Not sure about the whole tree hugger thing they usually gather around during duck season and yell shit at us.....Killer,etc...

Wanna have fun in case he comes back?

Change the chain for a Grade-80 or Grade-100 alloy steel chain... see how many hacksaw blades he goes thru trying to cut that baby (you need a diamond powder cutting disc to cut a link).

I guess it's probably some competing hunter... that sucks... I've also had some jerks in my area, not fun.

Red

Yea Red I am pretty sure it's another hunter it just sucks though, that someone thinks the only way he (or she) can get a deer is by screwing someone else up. I am thinking about ordering a game trail timer camera just to see the SOB.

I have been harrased by gunning club guys when they're drives come right under my stand but nothing like this.

Therealroot is offline New Member
    I'm in mid-michigan, right near Ted Nugent's hunting store. We have lot's of the big'uns out here, but we are pretty close to ann arbor too, so that puts us right in the middle of a war, hunters vs eco's. I know alot of hunters and I dont know one who would injure another hunter even if you were in his spot, we got to stick togeather. But the tree huggers are a different story, they feel animal life is just as valuble as human...so even if they injure you they may save two or three animals. They are really screwed up.

Bigen12 is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    That is why I always check out my stand before I climb it, even on private property.

Quote Originally Posted by Therealroot
    I'm in mid-michigan, right near Ted Nugent's hunting store. We have lot's of the big'uns out here, but we are pretty close to ann arbor too, so that puts us right in the middle of a war, hunters vs eco's. I know alot of hunters and I dont know one who would injure another hunter even if you were in his spot, we got to stick togeather. But the tree huggers are a different story, they feel animal life is just as valuble as human...so even if they injure you they may save two or three animals. They are really screwed up.
    Yea till you hurt one of the tree huggers then your your "stepping" on there first amendment rights"

Guess I should just buy a ladder stand or a climbing stand and take it down when I leave ,just a pain in the ass.

Bigen12 is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Take a shovel also, incase you find the stupid SOB that sawed through your chain. It will make it easer digging his grave.

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Greenpeace? And since they didnt touch your bait i would say it´s the job of vegetarian activits! Kill em all!

Contender is offline Junior Member
    wow that really sucks bro, and its down right dirty pool and a crappy thing to do to a fellow hunter, you had to have been in his spot bro or beat him to it and he was pissed, im on a lease here with only one other guy(my buddy) we have 2200 acres together that we hunt and we dont have those kinda problems, i like reds idea of the trail timer, hell i saw em on sale this month in cabelas for like $79.00, that sure would be some great evidence for the law.........good luck bro.....Cntndr
    Last edited by Contender; 10-21-2003 at 01:21 PM.

I am going to try and redirect your attention and help get focused back to the task at hand.

Good shooting!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do you believe this ?? Hunters please reply.-deertest.jpg  

Nixter is offline Associate Member
    I'm not trying to start a thing here but I don't get hunting. What do you do with the deer you shoot? Is it for the meat? Skin? Couldn't you just buy it? Don't tell me it's for the sport. Something about a guy in a tree with a rifle Vs a deer that seems a little un-sportsman like. Maybe if you chased it with a knife and had to wrestle it to the ground.

Nixter. (not a vegetarian or a tree-hugger... ok, maybe a tree hand-shaker)

Quote Originally Posted by tryingtogetbig
    I am going to try and redirect your attention and help get focused back to the task at hand.

Good shooting!
    Fuckin' A right bro'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Getting ready to go do a little spotting once the sun goes down!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nixter
    I'm not trying to start a thing here but I don't get hunting. What do you do with the deer you shoot? Is it for the meat? Skin? Couldn't you just buy it? Don't tell me it's for the sport. Something about a guy in a tree with a rifle Vs a deer that seems a little un-sportsman like. Maybe if you chased it with a knife and had to wrestle it to the ground.

Meat (lots of it), being outdoors, rack (I have a great trophy on the wall), the sport (I have been hunting 100's of times and didn't see a damn thing), being outdoors, helping to preserve a wild animal through wildlife management, shooting (I love to shoot), comradery (usually go with my buddies), competitive (always competing for the best buck each year), etc.

I can go on, but I truly doubt I'll even begin to change your opinion. Truth is, without hunters our wildlife would basicially be non-existent.

peace,

ttgb

Nixter, I hunt for one reason bro' meat, I amnot looking for a trophy to hang on the wall. I eat what I shoot duck,pheasant,deer,quail etc..

Hunting is a necessity to control the exploding deer popullation(sp) we have more deer right than can live on the resources available, so much so that they will starve to death before the end of the winter. Not too mention casuing accidents and raising NJ's already outrageous insurance rates. NJ hunters also participate in the a program that provides the homeless with thousands of pounds of deer meat every year.

I dont know about the rest of the country but in NJ you cant buy deer meat

Hunting is a tradition of hanging out with friends and "getting back" to our heritage when he had to hunt to eat. Anyone who has ever seen a sunrise form a treestand and listened as the animals one by one begin stirring and going abut they're day will tell you there isnt anything like it.

Hope that helps you understand a little better.

Truth is, without hunters our wildlife would basicially be non-existent.

peace,

ttgb

So when hunters hunt species to extinction or close to it such as whales, grizzlies and countless bird species, they are actually helping? I was more concerned with the fairness of the whole sporting aspect really.

Nixter.

Quote Originally Posted by New GearGuy
    Nixter, I hunt for one reason bro' meat, I amnot looking for a trophy to hang on the wall. I eat what I shoot duck,pheasant,deer,quail etc..

Hunting is a necessity to control the exploding deer popullation(sp) we have more deer right than can live on the resources available, so much so that they will starve to death before the end of the winter. Not too mention casuing accidents and raising NJ's already outrageous insurance rates. NJ hunters also participate in the a program that provides the homeless with thousands of pounds of deer meat every year.

I dont know about the rest of the country but in NJ you cant buy deer meat

Hunting is a tradition of hanging out with friends and "getting back" to our heritage when he had to hunt to eat. Anyone who has ever seen a sunrise form a treestand and listened as the animals one by one begin stirring and going abut they're day will tell you there isnt anything like it.

Hope that helps you understand a little better.
    Ok, I'm fine with that. Still seems like a bandaid though. I'm not trying to draw a direct comparison to humans and deer ,but if we have too many people we don't just start shooting them. Ideally we should be figuring out how to have less kids. And since we are no doubt responsible for most of the fucked up levels of certain species, I think we should be doing the same for them.

Nixter.

Again I cant speak for the rest of the country but NJ has an over population of deer, some many that the state has been upping the limit of der you can take in certain zones.

As for pheasants NJ no longer has a pheasant population (natural habitat) so every year the Division of Game & Wildlife raise several hundred thousand and release them in to the wild. All paid for with money fromt he sale of hunting licenses, stamps,guns etc...

I am currently trying to find a young deer that I can genetically alter to be able to present more of a challenge by growing opposable thumbs so that he may handle bowsrifles,shotguns,muzzleloaders etc...... I need to find a grant to continue my research

Ok, I'm fine with that. Still seems like a bandaid though. I'm not trying to draw a direct comparison to humans and deer ,but if we have too many people we don't just start shooting them. Ideally we should be figuring out how to have less kids. And since we are no doubt responsible for most of the fucked up levels of certain species, I think we should be doing the same for them.

Nixter.
    You make a good point and hopefully someday someone will find a way to just that.

956Vette is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

my reasons:

I like meat.
    Killing bambi is fun.
    I hate birds (shit on cars).
    Ducks/geese have even nastier shit.
    Shooting big guns makes me feel like more of a man.
    Cyotes are ugly.

(I am only being half-serious, tryingtogetbig hit the nail on the head)

So when hunters hunt species to extinction or close to it such as whales, grizzlies and countless bird species, they are actually helping? I was more concerned with the fairness of the whole sporting aspect really.

Nixter.
    This is a subject close to everything that makes me what I am, so I'll definitely try to reply without showing a whole lot of emotion.

I can tell from your replies that hunting and wildlife management is a subject that a.) you don't have a lot of knowledge about (not trying to flame at all) and that b.) it's something you will probably never be able to put together.

First off, I haven't killed any whales in a long time. Parks and wildlife departments have teamed with hunters for many decades now focusing primarily on nuturing and maintaining our great wildlife. The very few hunters that don't abide by the rules are not the norm. There are so many different animals that are harvested for meat and trophy that have been put on endangered lists and have recovered remarkably due to efforts from hunters.

The words "hunting" and "wildlife management" are two destinct words. They are the reason that so much of our wild game is still in existence. Bag limits, size limits, specific hunting seasons, etc all contribute to more than the normal person could ever comprehend.

As far as "population control" that you mention in the human race...are you volunteering to be nutured first. Probably not, but it is always easier to throw around off-subject points than even try and comprehend that hunters contribute more to society than non-hunters want to admit. Sorry, I involved a little emotion there.

peace,

ttgb

Catamount is offline Associate Member
    Shit Nixter don't ever come to VT you'll get your ass shot by all the redneck deer hunters up here.....I could give two shits though. If you like to hunt then fine but I don't think I could kill an animal unless I needed to......but I'll be glad to eat anything that someone else kills

Now you guys go catch those deers, haha

bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    It sounds like another hunter tring to piss u off so u will leave that area....see u did all the work of baiting the deer and getting them in the area u want to hunt...this lazy f'er has done nothing but mess with your stuff to try to hurt u...bro that shit would get someone seriously hurt...I like the camara idea...they make the motion cams that when something moves it takes the pic....it could be the shot your looking for to take legal action(or my favorite personal action)...and get some good pics of deer also....2 for 1 deal.

People should leave others stuff alone.......damn that pisses me off.

bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    Ow and one more thing......I would stay in the woods and stalk the mofo...even if I had to sleep there and wait....make them know what it's like to be hunted.....hey that's just me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Catamount
    Shit Nixter don't ever come to VT you'll get your ass shot by all the redneck deer hunters up here.....I could give two shits though. If you like to hunt then fine but I don't think I could kill an animal unless I needed to......but I'll be glad to eat anything that someone else kills

Now you guys go catch those deers, haha
    Actually I would have to go "down" to VT, I live in Canada.

The words "hunting" and "wildlife management" are two destinct words. They are the reason that so much of our wild game is still in existence. Bag limits, size limits, specific hunting seasons, etc all contribute to more than the normal person could ever comprehend.

As far as "population control" that you mention in the human race...are you volunteering to be nutured first. Probably not, but it is always easier to throw around off-subject points than even try and comprehend that hunters contribute more to society than non-hunters want to admit. Sorry, I involved a little emotion there.

peace,

ttgb
    Defending "wildlife management" is all good and fun but it really means that we have to kill a bunch of animals because humans have fucked up their natural habitat.

And as for neutering, great idea! Why not hunt with tranquilizers, neuter the excess deer and release? That way, you get to "be a man" and the dear gets to live but not create more deer!

Nixter.

Quote Originally Posted by 956Vette
    my reasons:

I like meat.
    Killing bambi is fun.
    I hate birds (shit on cars).
    Ducks/geese have even nastier shit.
    Shooting big guns makes me feel like more of a man.
    Cyotes are ugly.

(I am only being half-serious, tryingtogetbig hit the nail on the head)
    Funny shit bro!!

someday is offline Member
    well...as soon as you level your house and replant the trees and grass that used to grow thier and grab some sticks and head off into the woods and we go back an ancient way of life without farms then we wont have an overpopulation of humans fucking up the habitat because most of us would die off from starvation....but truth is you nor anyone else is willing to give up the great things that the human brain has given us. People like the advances of city life and convienence, not too mention not going hungry, too much. Even if deer were shot with tranquilizers and then nuetered the problem remains that there are still too many deer and you would still have thousands of deer or other animals a year starving to death. People like crops, deer and other animals eat crops so we try to keep them off the crops so theres more for you and me to eat. Why is me going out and hunting for food any worse than you ordering a cheeseburger from mcdonolds, either way an animal has to die to sustain you. Its how life is. Have you ever seen the inside of a slaughter house????? I guaruntee you that the animals there die a far more gruesome death than any deer, pig, bird, etc....that i have ever shot. This last weekend i killed two pigs, 10 quail, and about 100 groundsquirrels. The pigs will provide me with a relatively lean meat for the next 5 months or so, the quail are delicous and as winter is coming and the ranch had so many they were running them over im willing to bet more than that will die from the coyotes and winter coming. The groundsquirrels are a menace to cattle which you probably eat. The groundsquirrels dig holes that cattle fall into all the time and break legs etc.....On this same ranch starving pigs would run out and eat the calf as the mother was birthing it and at the same time eat up into the heffer.... Your right nixter humans have fucked up the habitiat and one of the most effective ways to help with that is to hunt and keep the populations under control so the available land can hold a HEALTHY population of animals......I'm not yelin at you or anything but i think people really fail to realize the benifit that hunters give the outdoors.

Quote Originally Posted by someday
    well...as soon as you level your house and replant the trees and grass that used to grow thier and grab some sticks and head off into the woods and we go back an ancient way of life without farms then we wont have an overpopulation of humans fucking up the habitat because most of us would die off from starvation....but truth is you nor anyone else is willing to give up the great things that the human brain has given us. People like the advances of city life and convienence, not too mention not going hungry, too much. Even if deer were shot with tranquilizers and then nuetered the problem remains that there are still too many deer and you would still have thousands of deer or other animals a year starving to death. People like crops, deer and other animals eat crops so we try to keep them off the crops so theres more for you and me to eat. Why is me going out and hunting for food any worse than you ordering a cheeseburger from mcdonolds, either way an animal has to die to sustain you. Its how life is. Have you ever seen the inside of a slaughter house????? I guaruntee you that the animals there die a far more gruesome death than any deer, pig, bird, etc....that i have ever shot. This last weekend i killed two pigs, 10 quail, and about 100 groundsquirrels. The pigs will provide me with a relatively lean meat for the next 5 months or so, the quail are delicous and as winter is coming and the ranch had so many they were running them over im willing to bet more than that will die from the coyotes and winter coming. The groundsquirrels are a menace to cattle which you probably eat. The groundsquirrels dig holes that cattle fall into all the time and break legs etc.....On this same ranch starving pigs would run out and eat the calf as the mother was birthing it and at the same time eat up into the heffer.... Your right nixter humans have fucked up the habitiat and one of the most effective ways to help with that is to hunt and keep the populations under control so the available land can hold a HEALTHY population of animals......I'm not yelin at you or anything but i think people really fail to realize the benifit that hunters give the outdoors.
    Exactly my point great post someday, It gets old defending yourself to someone who'll never understand your point of view. It doesnt matter if your talking about steroids ,hunting or football there will always be someone who just doesnt get it and thats ok. Very well stated!

nj123 is offline Member
    come down south man

Defending "wildlife management" is all good and fun but it really means that we have to kill a bunch of animals because humans have fucked up their natural habitat.

And as for neutering, great idea! Why not hunt with tranquilizers, neuter the excess deer and release? That way, you get to "be a man" and the dear gets to live but not create more deer!

Nixter.
    Do you live in California? Serously, the mentallity is so different than any I have ever heard before. We should (maybe shouldn't) compare notes one of these days. I try to learn and respect other peoples thoughts and views, sometimes it just seems that I am so very different than other people. I guess what gets me is that if I am not hurting you or interefering in your life in any way, what difference does it make to you. Your place of residency takes up space, you drive a car, you eat meat, you eat vegetables, etc. What's the difference to you personally.

I don't hold it against you that you don't hunt. Why would you hold it against me that I do. I don't inference you as being "less of a man" because you don't hunt...even though you do me because I do hunt. I just get confused sometimes.

peace,
    ttgb

PurePower is offline Senior Member
    Get one of those field cameras(the motion ones) and set it up near your treestand and see who is doing this and turn him into the game warden.

Quote Originally Posted by PurePower
    Get one of those field cameras(the motion ones) and set it up near your treestand and see who is doing this and turn him into the game warden.
    make sure to leave the flash off though...otherwise he'll see it and saw on it too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information