fyerstarter is offline New Member

The De-Masculinization of Pro Bodybuilding

I just finished looking over the pictures from this years Olympia and then I opened up my Arnold Swartzenegger Encyclopedia of bodybuilding to look back on the "golden era" of bodybuilding of the 70's, and it dawned on me. Bodybuilding has made a big change. Bodybuilding used to be a sport filled with masculine looking men, whom the women were attracted to and the men admired and wished to be like.

While looking through the latest Olympia pictures the only thought that kept running through my head was "What a gay-fest! I sure hope my roomate doesn't walk in and see me looking at this crap or I will never hear the end of it". Here I am looking at the asses of three monstrous men decorated in colorful bikini cut trunks that no straight man would be caught wearing on any beach! So far I've seen leopard print, bright pink with sparkly glitter on it, and bright cherry reflective red....what that fuck!!

Even the poses are gay. Guys doing the splits, guys sticking their asses out, guys striking little balerina poses! Bodybuilding used to be some big buff dude who looks like he could kick your ass walks out onto the stage with a woman on each arm, sucks down two 16 oz steaks and a gallon of milk, grunts three times, and walks off. At no point did the audience feel the need to observe how "ripped his glutes are", nor did he feel he should display them.

Even Ronnie Coleman, who otherwise might look like a tough dude, can't be taken seriously when he has a little pink g-string crammed up his ass!? Maybe next year they will add a talent competition and they can all sing showtunes. Ugh. It's a good thing we have football players because if young men these days grew up idolizing bodybuilders the world would be a very different place..
    Last edited by fyerstarter; 10-26-2003 at 01:36 PM.

big daddy k de is offline Senior Member
    idk bro i guess they are all metro sexuals

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fyerstarter
    While looking through the latest Olympia pictures the only thought that kept running through my head was "What a gay-fest! I sure hope my roomate doesn't walk in and see me looking at this crap or I will never hear the end of it". Here I am looking at the asses of three monstrous men decorated in colorful bikini cut trunks that no straight man would be caught wearing on any beach! So far I've seen leopard print, bright pink with sparkly glitter on it, and bright cherry reflective red....what that fuck!! ..

lol . . . you should have seen what people wore back in the 70's . . . purple pants, paisley shirts, ruffles, all sorts of psychedelic colors wil bell bottom pants, platform shoes, everyone looked gay back then, only they didn't know it.

I don't suppose it's a problem unless you really can't stop worrying about it. At that point you need a bottle of Jack Daniels.
    --Tock

Therealroot is offline New Member
    I just finished looking over the pictures from this years Olympia and then I opened up my Arnold Swartzenegger Encyclopedia of bodybuilding to look back on the "golden era" of bodybuilding of the 70's, and it dawned on me. Bodybuilding has made a big change. Bodybuilding used to be a sport filled with masculine looking men, whom the women were attracted to and the men admired and wished to be like.

While looking through the latest Olympia pictures the only thought that kept running through my head was "What a gay-fest! I sure hope my roomate doesn't walk in and see me looking at this crap or I will never hear the end of it". Here I am looking at the asses of three monstrous men decorated in colorful bikini cut trunks that no straight man would be caught wearing on any beach! So far I've seen leopard print, bright pink with sparkly glitter on it, and bright cherry reflective red....what that fuck!!

Even the poses are gay. Guys doing the splits, guys sticking their asses out, guys striking little balerina poses! Bodybuilding used to be some big buff dude who looks like he could kick your ass walks out onto the stage with a woman on each arm, sucks down two 16 oz steaks and a gallon of milk, grunts three times, and walks off. At no point did the audience feel the need to observe how "ripped his glutes are", nor did he feel he should display them.

Even Ronnie Coleman, who otherwise might look like a tough dude, can't be taken seriously when he has a little pink g-string crammed up his ass!? Maybe next year they will add a talent competition and they can all sing showtunes. Ugh. It's a good thing we have football players because if young men these days grew up idolizing bodybuilders the world would be a very different place..
    I totally agree with you. I think there should at the very least be a new masculine division, where men can be men.
    Not shaving will not get you points taken off and..........oh shit, I just had a hidious thought, with some o' these fella's its best as it stands,
    shit just imagine Gunter in some cut off daisy dukes, a tight wife beater and c-boots.....shit next thing you know the fucking Village People will be on stage.
    I dont know, your right, just dont ever let anyone see you looking at the pictures of these fruits.

BDTR is offline Retired
    They shave to show their muscle definition, its absolutely needed.

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    If your big problem is the briefs, then it would make sense that you don't want them to wear that kind of thing. which means you're suggesting that they all just come out ass naked right? Who's the gay now?

Needtobeswoledup is offline Associate Member
    I have to agree that the glute shots and little bikinis they wear are a little pushing it. Not to mention the fact that hardly any woman alive would be attracted to guys that look like a freak like coleman. Arnold on the other hand as we all have heard many times thanks to the election didnt' have any trouble with the ladies.

Your a little homophobic, if you are comfortable with your sexuality it should not bother you that much. Anyways I do not really see them as men in bikini briefs I see them as freaks I mean if i were to see a normal sized guy in one i would think it was wierd but these guy are just freaks(in a goodway of course).

cb25 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LightWeightBaby
    Your a little homophobic, if you are comfortable with your sexuality it should not bother you that much. Anyways I do not really see them as men in bikini briefs I see them as freaks I mean if i were to see a normal sized guy in one i would think it was wierd but these guy are just freaks(in a goodway of course).
    I was waiting for someone to come in and argue...although i wouldn't go so far as to question your comfort level with your sexuality...

i don't see it as demasculinization. they did a lot of the same things as far as contest prep a long time ago. shaving was necessary for muscular definition, just as posing oil and tanning were a part of it. I don't think that somehow the men of yester-year were so much more masculine....

in addition, i don't see doing the splits, etc as feminine. I see it as an incredible feat. Most people aren't that flexible, let alone monsters that are pushing 300lbs. It's a true testament to their athletic ability and the fact that they have pushed their bodies so far...this really goes against the stereotype that bodybuilders are muscleheads who can't move or scratch their heads because they're too muscle-bound...

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    i totally agree with you. especially about the fruity poses. and to add it to, they usually have this very fruity smile on their face.

back in schwarzenegger's era, the poses were more masculine and their facial expressions were just kinda blank...not huge ass smiles like big gay al who's just in love with the entire world.

-- clocky

jersey juice is offline Member
    I lift to look good for myself first and the ladies second, to me it's nothing more than a beauty pagent for men.... I lift at a gym where a couple pros go (Jason Arntz, Johnny Morant) and a few nationals... lemme tell you, when it's competition time you see these guys dropping their pants to their undies and asking other guys what they think... to me that's weird, but hey whatever floats your boat... I'd rather ask a cutie what she thinks of my quad sweep than another dude if I need more definition in my delts, but I guess that's the lifestyle. I have heard the rumors about those guys doing "favors" for the judges though hmmmmm wonder what that meant.......

Thread Information