BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member

How to Locate an Olympic Lifting Coach

I'd like to very seriously incorporate some of the Olympic Lifts into my training, but want to learn from the get-go to do them correctly A) so I don't get injured and B) to insure that I'll be able to move a solid amount of weight eventually.

Is there a central resource or listing that allows you to find one in your area like you could do for a dentist or PT? I'd prefer not to go to a personal trainer that has read books on it but rather a true coach who really knows his stuff. I can teach someone to perform the clean and jerk, but i'd vastly prefer the knowledge of an experienced Olympic lifting coach. I'm in the southern NH area now and would gladly travel anywhere into Mass and/or the southeastern parts of Vermont. I'm thinking my best bet might be just to contact one of the colleges or universities in the area with a monsterous ahtletics program (UNH, BC, etc) and see if it's possible to meet with one of their strength and conditioning coaches, as huge schools like that would no doubt have a specialized coach to teach the olympic lifts (i would think).

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    Biggreen,

I don't know about locating a coach I'll ask around I know some people who may be able to help.

You might want to check out www.deepsquatter.com there are a bunch of articles on olympic lifting. Check the archives.

xxxl83
    Last edited by xxxl83; 10-29-2003 at 03:36 PM.

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    Do they have any coaches at school? I started Olympic lifting with my HS shot put and discuss coach. I know at the college level you can just walk in and get training but maybe one of them could recommend some one too you.

If you were on the west coast you could train with me. I still incorporate some clean and jerk as well a some snatch into my workout when I can. If you want to learn you are doing it the right way. Olympic lifts can be dangerous if you don't practice proper form.

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    I'll see what i can find out about my school. I know they have weight training instructors for both athletes and students. Don't know if it's free of charge, but hockey here is huge.. so i'll check it out.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    BG, check with the local Universities. Thye have to have a strength coach and or a powerlifting team. Any of those guys would be able to help ya.

hercules88 is offline Senior Member
    go with big texans advice. in undergrad i found a guy who practiced olympic lifts who lifted at our schools rec center. just walked up to him and asked for him to train me on my form for some lifts and he was glad to do it.

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    Thanks guys, I'll have to look into these things...I know a strength and conditioning coach at my (now former) school and had originally went to him for assistance and was schocked at how unschooled he was in the Olympic lifts...but then again, Dartmouth hasn't been an athletic powerhouse since the early 1900's.

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    I'm not exactly sure what your goals are, but if they are basically anything but OLY lifting, then incorporating OLY lifting for anything else is probably a waste of time. Besides the fact that its an absolute pain in the ass to learn the form, OLY lifting just doesn't transfer into the other lifts.

A story I read at elitefts. Basically some OLY lifter walked in like a hotshot and cleaned 315 and made a huge deal about it and started bragging all over the gym. Then one of the other westside regulars who hadn't OLY lifted in many many years puts 405 on the bar, stands on a bunch of mats and cleans it.

Thread Information