Thread: Moving???

Calipso is offline Banned Post Whore

Moving???

I've lived in MA 18 1/2 of my 20 years. (1 1/2 in Norfolk, VA and Great Lakes, IL)

Anyone think moving from Boston to North Carolina could be good? Even if only temporary? I'm sick of the New England scene and have been here for way too long. My family down in NC is encouraging me to move down there and split rent with two of my cousins and 2 of their friends. $430/mo for rent with utilities included (Phone, DSL, Cable). I'm living at home now because I have so many bills I can't afford the rent up here (Almost double that with a roommate).

Even if I only lived down in NC for a year think it would be fairly difficult to find a job and just survive?

mass junkie is offline banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Calipso
    I've lived in MA 18 1/2 of my 20 years. (1 1/2 in Norfolk, VA and Great Lakes, IL)

Anyone think moving from Boston to North Carolina could be good? Even if only temporary? I'm sick of the New England scene and have been here for way too long. My family down in NC is encouraging me to move down there and split rent with two of my cousins and 2 of their friends. $430/mo for rent with utilities included (Phone, DSL, Cable). I'm living at home now because I have so many bills I can't afford the rent up here (Almost double that with a roommate).

Even if I only lived down in NC for a year think it would be fairly difficult to find a job and just survive?
    Do you have any skills? Do you know any trades?...regardless....im sure you could find something bro....What part of NC?

Quote Originally Posted by mass junkie
    Do you have any skills? Do you know any trades?...regardless....im sure you could find something bro....What part of NC?
    Raliegh.

I have no trades (Typical high school diploma, some time in the military).

I'm sure I could find a job that paid decent but would any of you pack up and just go? I'm really considering this.......

Raliegh.

I have no trades (Typical high school diploma, some time in the military).

I'm sure I could find a job that paid decent but would any of you pack up and just go? I'm really considering this.......
    Yeah why the hell not............Bro your still young......A change is good once in a while.......Just make sure you have a little money saved...just in case

cb25 is offline Banned
    Not sure about NC, as I've never been...but i can definitely sympathize with the costs of NE...i just moved from AZ (where everything's dirt cheap) to MA for school. Rent is a mofo out here, along with everything else. I paid $765 for a 3 bedroom townhouse in AZ...extremely nice area, very nice place, blah blah blah...and now i pay that for 1/2 of a 2 bedroom apartment in the ghetto...

Sometimes you need to get away, you know? If you have the opportunity to live with or near family that can help you out, it's a little safer than just heading out with nothing. I don't know what's going on in your life, but are there other reasons causing you to want to move? If there's other stuff there, it may help to get things together...again, i don't know you, so i'm just rambling...

cb25 is offline Banned
    Yeah why the hell not............Bro your still young......A change is good once in a while.......Just make sure you have a little money saved...just in case
    I'd agree...i think you'll make it. Is there any specific job you'd be looking for? You could probably find an easy job at GNC or the like, just to get by...you've got the supplement knowledge already...may as well put it to use.

Quote Originally Posted by cb25
    Not sure about NC, as I've never been...but i can definitely sympathize with the costs of NE...i just moved from AZ (where everything's dirt cheap) to MA for school. Rent is a mofo out here, along with everything else. I paid $765 for a 3 bedroom townhouse in AZ...extremely nice area, very nice place, blah blah blah...and now i pay that for 1/2 of a 2 bedroom apartment in the ghetto...

Sometimes you need to get away, you know? If you have the opportunity to live with or near family that can help you out, it's a little safer than just heading out with nothing. I don't know what's going on in your life, but are there other reasons causing you to want to move? If there's other stuff there, it may help to get things together...again, i don't know you, so i'm just rambling...
    Seeing as your in Boston, I'll put it like this. I'm tired of ignorant people. I'm tired of ignorant minorities, I'm tired of ignorant majorities. Yes no matter where you go there will be ignorant assholes to really piss you off but I nearly got a gun pulled on me last night because I simply passed a guy who didn't feel like going fast in the fast lane. Fucker pulled up on my right of my car with his friend cussing and fidgiting for something. I saw some metal, I said fuck this drove off. He cut off the car behind me and tried to tail gate me.

You don't try and piss off a guy who drives like a psycho like myself. I'm not getting capped my two ignorant hispanic teenagers so I went through a red light at almost 70mph and nearly got hit doing so.

I've lived in this area my whole life and I hate boston people. In norfolk and other cities in the south people have some common courtesy. Barely any road rage and most people are nice. Up in Boston and New York it's asshole country on the road or on foot.

I'd agree...i think you'll make it. Is there any specific job you'd be looking for? You could probably find an easy job at GNC or the like, just to get by...you've got the supplement knowledge already...may as well put it to use.
    Very good point, I could always do that but I'd feel bad inside for screwing some guys out of money for worthless supplements like N02. Do a search for "Never buy GNC" and there is a thread about an ex-GNC employee on this board. Makes me pissed everytime I walk by that store.

I have a lot of family in NC so I go there alot....and most of the people there are genuinely nice and goodhearted.......most of the people wave to you and say hi ......it always freaks me out to go there and see that.....Im just not used to it......

I have a lot of family in NC so I go there alot....and most of the people there are genuinely nice and goodhearted.......most of the people wave to you and say hi ......it always freaks me out to go there and see that.....Im just not used to it......
    Dude it's unbelieveable how nice people in the south can be. Asking for directions when I was lost, some guy spent 10 minutes writing out a little map for me and I was just like "Damn if I was in Boston and I asked for directions I would have been told to fuck off or spit on". He just laughed and I thanked him.

cb25 is offline Banned
    I'm with you...i'm glad i don't drive...i wouldn't be able to hold back...and i'd consider myself a pretty calm easygoing guy...but yea, i've been here maybe 5months...and i already know exactly what you mean...

And yea, i hate GNC too...i remember the thread and I totally agreed - i worked for a similar AZ based company for a while. They didn't like me very much because i wouldn't use their "nutritional facts" to sell their bullshit...I actually got in a huge argument with the training lady when I questioned her info. I came to "training" the next night with some clinical studies that proved her wrong. She was not happy. I basically took over the class for a night...then i got tired of it, and just let her think she was right...

Of course, after a while, you're not making enough money and they find ways to screw you out of commission unless you dance their little dance...so you start offering bad advice,etc.

But, you do what you have to do to survive...you can convince anyone of anything in stores like that. If they ask questions, it's usually because they don't know...it's an easy sale...but i HATE it. I had to quit, because i didn't like doing that.

My advice, if you can find a smaller supplement store that doesn't rely on GNC-like policies - especially if they don't pay commission - just a higher base pay. There was a great place back home that paid like $10/hr starting and they gave the BEST advice...places like that are hard to find, but it's worth looking

I'm with you...i'm glad i don't drive...i wouldn't be able to hold back...and i'd consider myself a pretty calm easygoing guy...but yea, i've been here maybe 5months...and i already know exactly what you mean...

And yea, i hate GNC too...i remember the thread and I totally agreed - i worked for a similar AZ based company for a while. They didn't like me very much because i wouldn't use their "nutritional facts" to sell their bullshit...I actually got in a huge argument with the training lady when I questioned her info. I came to "training" the next night with some clinical studies that proved her wrong. She was not happy. I basically took over the class for a night...then i got tired of it, and just let her think she was right...

Of course, after a while, you're not making enough money and they find ways to screw you out of commission unless you dance their little dance...so you start offering bad advice,etc.

But, you do what you have to do to survive...you can convince anyone of anything in stores like that. If they ask questions, it's usually because they don't know...it's an easy sale...but i HATE it. I had to quit, because i didn't like doing that.

My advice, if you can find a smaller supplement store that doesn't rely on GNC-like policies - especially if they don't pay commission - just a higher base pay. There was a great place back home that paid like $10/hr starting and they gave the BEST advice...places like that are hard to find, but it's worth looking
    I'm going to look into that, have some of my family help me out with a little job search before I actually move down. I think I move down, it'd be for a year or two or however long I needed as a break.

I doubt I'd move down to NC forever but alot of my friends have left. My friend since 1st grade is in the marines in camp legune, NC. 3 of my boys from high school have kids and have no time for hanging out. All the girls up here, just a waste of time. The only thing I have up really is family. Father needs help at times and thats what I'm here for.

cb25 is offline Banned
    The only thing I have up really is family. Father needs help at times and thats what I'm here for.
    Honestly, i respect the hell out of that...i know how it goes.

Honestly, i respect the hell out of that...i know how it goes.
    My father is a diabetic, has two hernias and just had a cancer operation last year (and one three years before). He has alot of issues and keeps working harder than he should. I work nights so sometimes it's a pain in the nuts to help him but I'm rugged and rather see myself strain a muscle then him pull another hernia or end up going to the emergency room.

cb25 is offline Banned
    My father is a diabetic, has two hernias and just had a cancer operation last year (and one three years before). He has alot of issues and keeps working harder than he should. I work nights so sometimes it's a pain in the nuts to help him but I'm rugged and rather see myself strain a muscle then him pull another hernia or end up going to the emergency room.
    I went through a lot of the same stuff with my stepdad - he passed away when i was 18, but i stayed and lived at home for a few years of college to make sure i could help out with him, and eventually when my mom needed me.

D3m3nt3d is offline AR's Whore D'Oeuvre

I live in NC dawg

Testify is offline Senior Member
    Seeing as your in Boston, I'll put it like this. I'm tired of ignorant people. I'm tired of ignorant minorities, I'm tired of ignorant majorities. Yes no matter where you go there will be ignorant assholes to really piss you off but I nearly got a gun pulled on me last night because I simply passed a guy who didn't feel like going fast in the fast lane. Fucker pulled up on my right of my car with his friend cussing and fidgiting for something. I saw some metal, I said fuck this drove off. He cut off the car behind me and tried to tail gate me.

You don't try and piss off a guy who drives like a psycho like myself. I'm not getting capped my two ignorant hispanic teenagers so I went through a red light at almost 70mph and nearly got hit doing so.

I've lived in this area my whole life and I hate boston people. In norfolk and other cities in the south people have some common courtesy. Barely any road rage and most people are nice. Up in Boston and New York it's asshole country on the road or on foot.
    Calipso, I can sympathize with you, but you are not going to get away from all of that in NC. I have been there many times, and have friends who live there. There are just as many ingnorant minorities and majorities, they are just ignorant in different ways. I lived in the south for 6 years, most of it during school, and people are generally nicer and more personable. But that does not mean that you don't have to play the game. There is an even more dramatic social heirarchy in the south, in general, and you either learn it and take your place in it, or become marginilized. Just like anywhere, really - but in a different way. Assuming you like the weather, and don't mind the drop-off in entertainment, employment opportunities, etc., maybe you would be happy there. But you never get away from the bullshit.

Catamount is offline Associate Member
    I would do it....I'm in the same boat and as soon as I'm done with this school year I'll either be heading out to the LA area or Hawaii just for a little while. We're both young and I know I want to experience something new besides the Northeast before it's too late and I'm settled down with a family. Even if it doesn't workout so what you can come back but at least you tried it. So what do you have to lose?

Dot it bro... you're young, free and need to live a little.

Red

Thread Information