markas214 is offline Senior Member

Working legs. Most aren't?

Does anyone else seem to be the only one of maybe 3 or 4 guys who works legs regularly (leg day)? I go to the gym at all hours and rarely see anyone using any leg machines or squatting. Cosidering that the legs are half your body I'd expect to see at least 1/3 of the people doing legs on any given day.

mass junkie is offline banned
    Quote Originally Posted by markas214
    Does anyone else seem to be the only one of maybe 3 or 4 guys who works legs regularly (leg day)? I go to the gym at all hours and rarely see anyone using any leg machines or squatting. Cosidering that the legs are half your body I'd expect to see at least 1/3 of the people doing legs on any given day.
    I hate working Legs with a passion but I still do em every wednesday...

punk_bbuilder is offline Senior Member
    Every Monday Baby

956Vette is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    It's b/c once your pants are off, you are already gettin laid silly

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 956Vette
    Can't argue that point can we.

No but really I see what you mean. But I look at it the other way. I love doing legs. They are actually my favorite. They weren't before but they have definetly grown on me in the past year or so. The best thing about training legs is no one is around to bother you or get in your way when you are trying to run to the garbage can to puke one up. They are all on the bench press at the other end of the gym.

This sums it all up. "You can't build a house without a foundation" I have said it before and stand by it 110%.

ross3814 is offline Member
    does working legs really contribute to upper body size? i've heard that but i dont know. it seems to make sense that your body wont go too far outta proportion but i am curious. i am one of those guys that never works them. i just started this week.

nostawk is offline Associate Member
    I have to say legs are my favorite partly because where i workout almost nobody does squats and when they do they don't go low enough. I love it when somebody twice my size is doing half squats with half as much weight. I try to do heavy squats at least twice a week.

AbsolutelyLethal is offline Associate Member
    The problem in my gym is since so few people did legs they reduced the amount of racks to one squat rack and one power cage.

People do deadlifts, shrugs, squats there so it can get congested sometimes. What pisses me off when its packed in the gym and people are doing curls...WTF is up with that?!?

I also get pissed when little bitches come in and load the bar up with like 3 plates and only go slightly down...I know Im not strong but I dont try prove I am by attempting weight way too much for me.

Which brings me to another point...If you are benching and your spotter is doing more work then you are you'd think you stop the set. I see guys "going" for like 3-4 more after stalling out horrible. The look of horror on their spotters faces is priceless as they have to bent over row the bar up. Another favorite, is these two brothers who have no size or definition but workout in tandem. Load the bar up, one benches the bar up while the other pulls the bar up from the spotter position. This is how their whole chest workout goes....

Some people say not doing legs makes their upperbody look bigger but i think its sad if your bench is close to or more than your squat

i couldn't agre absolutlylethal more. Their is i dont know how many curl bars but they are doing curls in the squat rack. I hat that.

D3m3nt3d is offline AR's Whore D'Oeuvre
    yes, doing legs will contribute to the upper body..it's called homeostasis. Your bodies way of keeping itself proportioned. Top cant grow but so much without the bottom...btw I HATE legs =\

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    I just saw this thread...

Bigboy123 is offline Senior Member
    I just got back from doin legs... Although i do see people doin legs, most of them are doin half ass sqauts and such, u know the 3/4 squats that dont count, and they load the weight up... All my freinds go hard on legs day... BUT i see a few do legs the correct way, key word "few"....

markas214 is offline Senior Member
    Nothing looks more ridiculous than a guy with a big upper body and 18" quads and 14" calves. Whether it adds much to upper body development I could care less because I work that seperately. It really comes down to balance and symetry. I squat heavy, light in between but always use good form. I am however a victim of carrot legs whereby my lower quads don't get big and won't hang over my knees. But it ain't from lack of trying.

Bean666 is offline Junior Member
    i'm about to go do legs...
    box squats are a fav of mine...

Quote Originally Posted by Bean666
    i'm about to go do legs...
    box squats are a fav of mine...
    NOOOO do 2x4 squats instead.....

get a 2x4 and put it behind you wide side up and touch your ass down to the 2x4... push some of those out

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    I hit quads every 5th day............. I usually see a lot of women training legs more than the guys.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMudMan
    I hit quads every 5th day............. I usually see a lot of women training legs more than the guys.
    hey mud dont you do legs everyother day

I had a guy tell me that in order to get big legs you need to do them everyother day.... I disagreed with him ofcourse.. but he proceeded to tell me he knows.. just look at his legs... "there 24" now..." hehe and get this... "are your big from doing once a week.. how big?" so I had to show him... damn people must think im all upper body

Quote Originally Posted by bigol'legs
    hey mud dont you do legs everyother day

I had a guy tell me that in order to get big legs you need to do them everyother day.... I disagreed with him ofcourse.. but he proceeded to tell me he knows.. just look at his legs... "there 24" now..." hehe and get this... "are your big from doing once a week.. how big?" so I had to show him... damn people must think im all upper body
    I did do legs EOD but the tooth pick leg look and big upper body wasn't doing it for me......... I would fall over a lot

I just let people tell me whatever............... and then I move on.

I had a guy call me out a couple of weeks ago... "Hey I bet I can squat more than you.." .. now he was talking shit like this for like 2 months, I dont think he ever came in when I was doing a leg day... and every other time I just shrugged him off but this day he really got to me.. I mean I dont think he broke 175 lbs. Well I told him to show me what hes got.. his buddies were around 2. Well he put on 315 and says hes gonna warm up with 4 real dep so he doesnt pull anything.. he gets on and does some 1/2 ass squats.. reps out 4 grunting drawing a large crowd... And im standing back smirking telling some people I know to keep thier mouths SHUT!! I tell him Im going to warm up also and leave the 315 on and act like I can barely push out 3 reps... Hes got a big smile on his face and calls some more buddies over to watch his "victory"... Well now hes gonna max out and "show me up" so him and his buddies throw on 425 and he gets all siked up.. his friends are yelling and slapping his back and shit.. he gets under the bar and walks it back and does a 1/2 ass 1 repper.. and reracks it. He huffs and walks next to me grinning and saying "Ya.. lets see ya do that..." I humbley tell him "ok.. Ill try".. and by this time the guys who know me are busting!!!! up laughing there asses off... the guy is still clueless. Well I walk it out and kick out a quick warm up set of 25 and walk it back in..... the guys face.. "Priceless"

I had a guy call me out a couple of weeks ago... "Hey I bet I can squat more than you.." .. now he was talking shit like this for like 2 months, I dont think he ever came in when I was doing a leg day... and every other time I just shrugged him off but this day he really got to me.. I mean I dont think he broke 175 lbs. Well I told him to show me what hes got.. his buddies were around 2. Well he put on 315 and says hes gonna warm up with 4 real dep so he doesnt pull anything.. he gets on and does some 1/2 ass squats.. reps out 4 grunting drawing a large crowd... And im standing back smirking telling some people I know to keep thier mouths SHUT!! I tell him Im going to warm up also and leave the 315 on and act like I can barely push out 3 reps... Hes got a big smile on his face and calls some more buddies over to watch his "victory"... Well now hes gonna max out and "show me up" so him and his buddies throw on 425 and he gets all siked up.. his friends are yelling and slapping his back and shit.. he gets under the bar and walks it back and does a 1/2 ass 1 repper.. and reracks it. He huffs and walks next to me grinning and saying "Ya.. lets see ya do that..." I humbley tell him "ok.. Ill try".. and by this time the guys who know me are busting!!!! up laughing there asses off... the guy is still clueless. Well I walk it out and kick out a quick warm up set of 25 and walk it back in..... the guys face.. "Priceless"
    That's great

I hate guys like that........... There will always be haters...... they are the ones that make me push that much harder.

someday is offline Member
    I actually had somebody ask me what i was doing when i was doing squats the other day....two other guys complemented me for being that dedicated....i thought it was just part of working out.

DocHoliday is offline Senior Member
    Bigol'legs, you are a crazy man. You break the 2k barrier for leg press yet?

I need to get on half your level.

Quote Originally Posted by DocHoliday
    Bigol'legs, you are a crazy man. You break the 2k barrier for leg press yet?

I need to get on half your level.
    ya Doc I did... last month I did it while I was cutting.. I posted a thread in workout forums..

I think I can get 2k up for 2-3 now though

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Big......I'm telling you right now you and I could rake in the cash bro............I can see it now..............on the road........with the circus........you could be JOJO the elephant man. hahaha

I do legs twice a week Tuesdays and Fridays...........and I swear I almost get sick just before starting each time. I can hardly wait till I can move the heavy stuff, man I miss that..................however this high rep stuff is kicking my a$$ pretty good. Nothing like what Big does though.

big daddy k de is offline Senior Member
    i hit the legs hard as hell on monday ... some times they kill me all week

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut2148
    Big......I'm telling you right now you and I could rake in the cash bro............I can see it now..............on the road........with the circus........you could be JOJO the elephant man. hahaha

I do legs twice a week Tuesdays and Fridays...........and I swear I almost get sick just before starting each time. I can hardly wait till I can move the heavy stuff, man I miss that..................however this high rep stuff is kicking my a$$ pretty good. Nothing like what Big does though.
    what do I do good job jugg... hey if ya need to switch something up go ahead and PM away k?

Bro I'll be trying a few of your routines just as soon as I get cleared by the doc. They look fun. Some one shot me right now. hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut2148
    Bro I'll be trying a few of your routines just as soon as I get cleared by the doc. They look fun. Some one shot me right now. hahaha
    where? are you bleeding bad... you better log off and go to the hospital.. or atleast turn your labtop on and dial 9-1-1

where? are you bleeding bad... you better log off and go to the hospital.. or atleast turn your labtop on and dial 9-1-1
    Yeah, from the neck. hahaha (still recovering from the neck surgery)

jeffylyte is offline Member
    Indiana. My phallus is bigger than Nathan's!
    man i used to love legs day. I was the only person in the gym doing jump squats and power cleans. after an injury, now I can only squat about 250 (over 100 lbs less...ive never claimed to be able to lift massive poundage!) before my lumbar starts to give me fits. now i hate it for this reason. only being able to go to 90 degrees or at best parrallel. no depth squats for me!

Bigun is offline Senior Member
    I love training legs out of all the body parts. Being tall I find any gains I get on them so rewarding. I like to blast them on a Monday when I am fresh

cb25 is offline Banned
    I love doing legs...i've got a bad knee, but i found that taking out hack squats pretty much solves my problems. Most other exercises done with strict form gives me no problems.

My story to add: I was getting ready to do leg press...the 2 guys that were on before me were doing the whole 2 inch rep thing with 3 plates on either side. They leave all the plates on (god forbid they re-rack their weights) so i get on to do a warmup set. I see them both looking kind of nodding to each other that i was only doing 3 plates...kind of laughing. So after a warmup set...i added a few plates and started doing unilateral leg presses...i think one of them stopped and stared...i just finished out my sets, got up and smiled as i walked past...

i don't do a trememdous amount of weight, but i love it when people gawk and laugh because they think they're so much better...until they actually see you lift

Bigun is offline Senior Member
    I have done that also, it's great doing uni-lateral leg presses with the same weight after some knob has been repping out with only a few inches ROM. And you know inside that your not out to impress anyone

mfenske is offline Member
    I do love to see the guys that to the partial, partial reps. You know like 1/4 of a 1/2 rep. I suppose I should give these guys a small amount of credit though, at least they are taking a break from bench and biceps. The funniest thing that I have seen in a while was some dudes that were doing crappy partial reps, my wife gets in the cage loads up her weights (which was like 10lbs less than what they were doing) and does a set of 6 to parallel. That was great. Mark

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 956Vette
    bahahaha, no shit, doode! couldn't have said it better myself...=)

seriously though, i workout my legs once a week, just like everything else. but i have to admit, it work them out with much less intensity than other body parts (i hate doing em)...=(

-- clocky

Thread Information