ripsid is offline Senior Member

SID's Tattoo Process Thread - Operation Cover-up

Wasn't sure how to start or name or pretty much describe this thread, so bare with me. I currently have 4 tattoos' total on my left arm I have a tribal piece with a heart and my ex-wife's name ***important note NEVER GET A WOMAN'S NAME ON YOUR ARM!*** and on my delt I have the Primo bear guy holding a surfboard, my 1st. Then on my right I have 2 also, one being Christian Fletcher's surfing skeleon ripping with a banner and my rents initials (another note never get excrutiatingly Drunk! before a tattoo or you'll say and do what I did awww man my parents will be pissed, I know (genius) I'll get my parents initials! then above that is a ring of skulls done all free hand is just awesome!
    Well, my wife, #2, has delt with the site of my ex's name long enough so, what she did was for my birthday you get 400 bucks go get it covered up. so Me being SID, said I have a better idea how about a half sleeve. So that is the plan! Tonight I will post the pic of my left arm as it is today, and then I will post pics after each session to show the change and get your input.
    As far as picking an artist NEVER JUST GO! NEver! This is something you'll have for the rest of your life, and infact the one I am getting covered up (tribal piece) was one where I just went and got it done from some guy in Guam. And when you see the pic you will notice how disproportionate it is and the color is just terrible! Badly done. So this time, I went to about 10 tattoo places looking for a combination of things. I know there are some bro's here that will tell you that once you find one stick with him, they'll know you and the work and what YOU WANT! I can tell you I went to a bunch who said well you come in, I draw on you for and hour then go at it...what if I don't like what you're drawing? They don't think about that though. I found one guy through, MudMan that is just unreal! and he was the guy I wanted to go to but he doesn't do color anymore. Here is another example of one 1 I didn't care for... the he suggested who was in his shop and does do good work, didn't want to hear what I wanted only suggested what he wanted, which didn't fit my tastes. Another example of a guy who likes what he likes. There's alot of guys out there who do great work, but only do there thing... they specialize in certain styles, some specialize in portraits or realisms, new skool and colorful tats, even just pinups. One guy who I wanted to go to, but just couldn't deal with the fact that he's always late or cancelling appointsment. I don't need somone who half asses his way, because if he doesn't in life he does it in work. and I know of 4 people he had cancelled on several times, and when I went to meet him he was 45 mins late.
    Now I went to a bunch of guys as I said and the guy Ipicked was one who I didn't hear a ton about, but one that was brought up to me by some people I know and really said he was good and really REALLY has pride in his work. It wasn't just that that motivated me to pick him it was that he does do good work and when we discussed doing the work it was "I don't want to do it until your happy" and when we bounced ideas back and forth we just clicked! So, it felt right and that's what we're going to do!
    The design: I really dig skulls and flames and stuff, and searched endlessly on the net and in mags for ideas. I just knew what I liked and what I wanted so I'll go with 3 skulls to cover the bottom tribal right now tentatively the bottom one is Reaper like, but that may change. And the two above on either side are looking on angles away. then all 3 will be engulfed in flames and backgrounds of black shading. Now the toughest part is how to cap it off, to cover my boy primo. I don't want to just throw a dragon or just anything it has to be something to tie it all in. I searched all sorts of D&D books online looking for ideas. Wow, skulls are easy but capping the skulls is the toughest and being able to cover up primo makes it tough also. Unfortunately I'm limited because ofwhat I do have. Other wise my half sleeve would be totally bad assed.
    Yesterday I did go to my man and he sized me up and described the ideas and we agreed, and infact both of us said we'll leavethe top blank until we can get it figured out.
    Well, like I said I will post pics as the process goes! And hopefullly as we go we can inform!
    Now Iknow there some guys who have ink out there (Mudman, btdr, mass junkie) so any and all advice I think is great. Inform the NON-INKED or prospectively INKed.
    I believe the 1st thing when you go to a place has to be DO NOT LOOK AT THE WALL! Unless it's something that is mind blowing...Paul Booth flash stuff or boris V pics, julie bell or any of the other great artists and such out there.
    Well time's ticken! Can't wait, it's been 10 years since I've been in the chair! Cheers!

SID

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Good luck and I can't wait to see what this guy will end up doing. From what I seen his work is top notch bro.

mass junkie is offline banned
    Good luck bro.....I dont think I can offer you any advice because it looks like you've done all your homework and took your time in picking out your piece and your artist. Cant wait to see the before and after pics.....oh yeah and dont worry tattoos dont hurt at all.........as you well know.....

Well, yeah...I didn't remember it hurting as F*Kin bad as it dad! WOW! MFer!!!!!!
    I sat for 4 1/2 hours in the chair yesterday and GD! It felt just wonderful!
    So, here is the before pic:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SID's Tattoo Process Thread - Operation Cover-up-103-0311_2_aut.jpg  

Now here are 4 different shots of Phase 1:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SID's Tattoo Process Thread - Operation Cover-up-103-0312_aut.jpg  

Phase 1 - pic 2 (note- if you click on the pic it'll blow up)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SID's Tattoo Process Thread - Operation Cover-up-103-0313_aut.jpg  

Phase 1 - pic 3 (note- if you click on the pic it'll blow up)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SID's Tattoo Process Thread - Operation Cover-up-103-0314_aut.jpg  

Phase 1 - pic 4 (note- if you click on the pic it'll blow up)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SID's Tattoo Process Thread - Operation Cover-up-103-0316_aut.jpg  

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Looks really cool SID............... It's already amazing what these guys do but when they do cover-ups and you can't even tell there was something there before...... just great work.

I love the way they look the first few hours after they are done..

FmRommel is offline Member
    Bro its lookin really good.....make sure you give us the complete pics!

Good Luck

FM

This will be over time of course but I hope to have it completed before I goto russia in Dec.
    Right now, I have the 2 skulls to be completed and ontop of them will be something else that we're working on. It could be a dragon or gargoyle type of thing, we're looking and working on Ideas. To cap the whole thing off will be flames from about 1" below the elbo till it passes the skkulls and then gets worked into the unknown piece. The unknown piece will have gray black clouds with lightning coming out of it. So, 3 more sessions at most to finish this, my wife is tripping at how little was completed in 4.5 hours and $400!

SID

mass junkie is offline banned
    Looking good bro.........Im sure your wife is happy

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    you damn liar... I clicked on each one of those pics and it didn't blow up!!! Yeah it got bigger but I was waiting for an explosion of some sorts....LIAR!!! Looks good by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG TEXAN
    you damn liar... I clicked on each one of those pics and it didn't blow up!!! Yeah it got bigger but I was waiting for an explosion of some sorts....LIAR!!! Looks good by the way.
    No I meant my ego blows up!
    Thanks guys... I just can't wait till it's all over with! Probably about 2-3 more sessions of about 2-3 hours each... Fun times!

SID

redrock is offline Member
    Looks awesome man. I'm itching to add on to mine. I just need to save up some more $$. RR

Thread Information