hoss827 is offline Banned

Does this sound right to anyone...???

Okay...well, I went to the gym today, and I get four free sessions with a trainer that last 30 minutes each. He altered my training program to three days instead of five, barely working my arms saying they would be "forced" to grow. Through this whole week I have done only one set of things for my biceps, and he says since i'm trying to but on size (bulk up) that working my biceps with alot of sets would just wear them down.

Well, heres my old routine (just the groups i would work each day)

Monday : Chest 6-14 sets, Triceps 6-12 sets
    Tuesday: Biceps 12 sets Back 12 sets
    Wednesday: Abs
    Thursday: Legs
    Friday : Shoulders
    Saturday: Rest
    Sunday : Rest.

Now he just has me doing a few sets with each major muscle group each day. I mean I respect the guy , he's a trainer and knows alot about diet and all,and hes pretty big and he says "since your a teenager and have the raging test that we all want your muscles will be forced to grow. You wouldn't be able to have a big chest and little arms for example". I'm just wondering if I should stick with my routine or this 3 day a week routine he has going for me...let me know what you guys think please.

jersey juice is offline Member
    Does he have you doing more compound movements like a powerlifting routine? Deadlifts, flat bench, squats military press and going heavy? If so then I would say don't sweat it, your always gonna be changing the way you train, sets, reps ect anyway (you should be anyway) what the hell... just give it a shot and see if you respond to his style any differently, if so great, if not just go back to the way you were doing things... I don't think a few sessions is gonna make you lose or gain 10lbs either way... you got nothing to lose and maybe you will respond better to it, maybe not. Just my opinion.

AbsolutelyLethal is offline Associate Member
    I know a few guys who NEVER worked arms and got huge arms anyways. Their idea was if you are working chest hard enough, that your tri's will fail as well too. Think about it, your tris are a lot smaller then your chest and it will fail before the chest. That is why many people like Warrior do/did pre-exhaustion exercises to their chest before benching as the pecs have a lot more stamina compared to the tris. The same thing can be said of the back and bi's. The back muscles are a lot bigger then the bi's.

I know every time I do back/chest I get tired in my arms....

Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutelyLethal
    I know a few guys who NEVER worked arms and got huge arms anyways. Their idea was if you are working chest hard enough, that your tri's will fail as well too. Think about it, your tris are a lot smaller then your chest and it will fail before the chest. That is why many people like Warrior do/did pre-exhaustion exercises to their chest before benching as the pecs have a lot more stamina compared to the tris. The same thing can be said of the back and bi's. The back muscles are a lot bigger then the bi's.

I know every time I do back/chest I get tired in my arms....
    Absolutely! Olympic lifters NEVER train arms and look at those guys, same with powerlifters, they do small assistance excersises but the bread & butter is big compound movements.

Calipso is offline Banned Post Whore
    Alot of sets since almost all chest exercises involve training your triceps indirectly. Makes me think your over training with the ammount of tricep exercises with your chest routine.

ripped4fsu is offline Anabolic Member
    Honestly Hoss there are sooo many different opinions on workouts whos to say whats "Right" and whats not... but if you know what results you want and ask the right questions you can put together a routine that will get you there. there is a TON of knowledgeable bros on this board, take advantage of them... I do!

hoss827 is offline Banned
    He says its supposed to be like a bodybuilder/powerlifter type of routine combined into one if that makes sense to anyone. Hes thrown in alot of deadlifts, squats, military press, etc.

redrock is offline Member
    That's the beauty of working. You have to try and find what works for you. What works wonders for one guy, might not do shit for anyone else. Give it a try for 3 sold months, if there is no improvement. Switch it up. RR

Quote Originally Posted by hoss827
    He says its supposed to be like a bodybuilder/powerlifter type of routine combined into one if that makes sense to anyone. Hes thrown in alot of deadlifts, squats, military press, etc.
    It definitely makes sense, that's what I thought, that's why I mentioned it before. You don't need to do 12 set of something if your doing heavy compound movements. Deads, squats ect work everything, he is right, your arms will be forced to grow just to handle the heavier poundages. If your doing deads with 405 your arms are naturally going to increase because a 12" arm just can't handle the weights (not saying you have 12" arms, just an example) I trained like that for a couple of years and believe me, it will build a base that no matter what hormonal imbalances you may have over the years i.e. cycling, you will always have that strong foundation. Don't be so quick to dismiss it, it's good shit!

Thread Information